• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 1,593 Views, 20 Comments

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - DerpyMuffins15



Everyone celebrates Hearth's Warming Eve. Everyone. Even if you think you're getting too old, it's always good to have company around the holidays. No one should be alone, especially when they are in need of a friend the most.

  • ...
4
 20
 1,593

Christmas Cheer!

All was quiet through the beautiful city, and most ponies would agree it was indeed nice, but a certain DJs was down on her luck, and unintentionally paid a costly price.

Her marefriend tossed and tangled in a bed of forgotten past — a drunken mare of the social class world, would likely be ruin now that she didn’t have caste.

“What have I done?” Vinyl asked, to the world? Herself? Or just to clear her mind.

“I’ve ruined Hearth’s Warming Eve!” She realized, “How could I be so blind?!”

The trench she walked in caused by trouble and grief was starting to grow ever so deep. Then from nowhere in particular she heard a gentle cry, which as she listened turn into a weep.

“I’ll sue your ass for trespassing!” Vinyl yelled unkind, “Get out before I pump you with bass!” A calm gentle spirit whisked into form, shocking the DJ as she looked like a grey Luna.

“Hey author!” she yelled, “That last part didn’t rhyme!” The narrator sighed and said, “I know, I know, but is it such a crime?”

“What are you and who are you talking to?” Vinyl asked suspicious, trying to remember the number for the asylum.

“My name is Woona and I am the ghost of Christmas past!” the monotone alicorn answered.

“What’s Christmas?”

“Christmas, Hearth’s Warming Eve, it’s all the same as long as you have someone special to spend it with!” Woona said cheerfully.

“Of course! What must I have been thinking! Would you like a juice box little filly?”

“Hey! I’ll have you know I’m one of the spirits of Christmas! I go around each and every single year showing ponies the joys of Christmas! And yes, I’ll take that juice box.”

Completely amused or under the alicorn’s charm of cuteness, Vinyl giggled and walked into the kitchen followed closely by Woona. Opening the fridge, she opened a new pack of juice boxes and got a Red Bull for herself.

“Ouuuu! Can I have some of that?!” Woona jumped up and down excitedly, grabbing her juice box and Vinyl’s energy drink.

“Wait! Kid, don’t drink that!”

It was too late, as Woona had popped open both drinks and gushed them down with a gulp. With a sudden light headedness, the grey of the alicorn turned to a swelling pink on her cheeks, as her eyes turned into googly ones.

“I spiked the Red Bull.....”

“What does*hiccup*spiked mean?” Woona wobbled on unsteady hooves and crashed face first into Vinyl’s chest.

“Uhhh, what were you saying about being the ghost of Christmas whatever?”

“Weeeeeelllll, We were supposed to haunt some cellist named Octavia tonight and remind her that Christmas is about spending time with your close ones, but, hehe, butt! But someone went and gave her a roofie!”

“Hehehe.......” chuckled Vinyl nervously again, “I wonder who that could be?” The DJ whistled an inconspicuous tune.

“I’ll tell you this about them: they’re on the naughty list.”

“The naughty list?”

“The naughty list.”

“The naughty list?”

“Yes, the naughty list.”

“The naughty li-”

“YES! THE NAUGHTY LIST! Why do you keep asking?!” The tiny alicorn packed quite a punch yelling at a medium volume Canterlot Voice.

“Sorry... So what are you going to do now? I mean Octavia is out like a light.”

“That part is easy silly! We’re gonna haunt you instead!”

“Uhh, we?”

“Yes We! As in Me, Myself, and I!”

“Kid, you need a ginger al....”

“And you need to learn what the meaning of Christmas is! Now come on! It’s time to see Octavia’s past! Narrator, take it away!”

“Wait kid!”

Woona chomped on Vinyl’s tail and dragged her back into the living room. Her face swelling with friction burns, Vinyl looked to her surrounds as they changed. The white walls were peeling off as the ground melted away to empty space. The ceiling cracked and separated, the chunks flying off to who knows where. Distance turned into a relative term as Woona neared their Hearth’s Warming Eve tree, glowing brighter and brighter as the lights turn supernova.

The ornaments on the tree popped, one by one but not shattering. Instead the pieces swirled back together to form tiny twinkle stars. The single fake star on top of the tree glowed like an actual one, blinding Vinyl as she saw complete white.

“You can open your eyes now silly!”

Wishing she still had her shades, Vinyl hesitantly dared a peak. Noticing the absence of a bothersome blinding light, she looked to her new surroundings. They were both floating aimlessly in the air. She didn’t have wings but she was flying.

‘I need to lay off the whiskey before bed.’

Up was space, right was space, left was space, forwards and backwards was space — big empty space. Vinyl the downcast her eyes, and saw the little town of Ponyville.

“Kid, I think you’re mistaken. I didn’t grow up in Ponyville.”

“Of course not silly! But Otavia did.” Using a hoof she pointed to a long line formed outside what seemed to be a steep chapel church. Dozens of families were waiting in the snow, looking for shelter and comfort in the soup kitchens. All the ponies, shivered in the bitter cold, sneezing and sniffing their frozen noses. Ragged or torn article clothing were all but in shambles on the unfortunate ponies. Vinyl couldn’t help but feel a sadness and a sudden need to help the less fortunate.

“Tav grew up on the streets? I never knew that......”

“No you pooh head! I’m pointing to the extremely expensive and overly priced restaurant next door! Geez, are you blind or something?”

Giggling sheepishly, Vinyl realigned her vision. From a depressing scenery, Vinyl looked right to the well decorated and massive bistro. Lights and trees were covered the entire front dining area, with mistletoe blooming on the glass windows.

Sitting alone by herself in a lonely corner was a little grey filly, a table clearly set for three, with only one guess attending. Through the window frame, Vinyl watch as the candles grew short and the hours longer.

“How long has she been sitting in there?”

“Since the restaurant opened. She does the same thing for the next four years, with the same company too. Until she met you she continues this holiday tradition with her family.”

“What family?”

“The one honeymooning in Paris. What I give for a crêpe sucrée right now!”

“Wait, Tavia’s parents honeymoon without taking their only daughter?”

“No, they forgot to take their daughter. There’s a difference! Come on, we got more sad memories from Octavia’s past to see and Christmas is almost here!”

Taking Vinyl’s hoof again, Woona warped the duo into a decade later. It was snowing, a light shower of frosty rain, with the sun shining in a dim beam from the clouded skies. They were still floating in the air, passing city blocks faster than a blink of an eye. As they slow their velocity, Vinyl looked around for any indication of an exact date.

Looking to a billiton board, Vinyl recognized the date as to be the final day for school within Canterlot. Incidentally, they both stopped atop of a gloomy boarding school that most nobles sent their foals to.

The bell had already rang, and foals in pairs, groups and flash mobs in size were running about, their parents eagerly waiting for them. After several minutes of stampeding, the mess settled, and a single foal remained. Her grey coat almost blended in with the bleak snow, hiding her from view.

She had with her a single suitcase, along with a rectangular cello case that Vinyl recognize to be the same one Octavia used to the present day. The casing was a bland black, the only thing that really held any indication something was there.

“Tsk Tsk, what a shame. Another Christmas break and no one to pick her up so she can go for the holidays. Sad ain’t it? Let’s move on.”

“WAIT! Why are you showing me this?! And how am I supposed to learn the meaning of Christmas with it?”

“First of all, you aren’t supposed to see this, Octavia is. Then someone-ahem- had to *cough* roofie *cough* her. And it’s not my job to make you understand the meaning of Christmas. It’s the ghost of Christmas Future’s job, mines is just to get the water works and feels. Any other questions?”

“Yea, can I go home now?”

“Maybe. If you have learned what the Christmas spirit is about!”

“Kid, I know what Christmas whatever is about, I did get a tree after all.

“We know, and to be truthful, you got more Christmas spirit than most of the ponies we haunt. The problem is, Octavia was supposed to be haunted tonight, and we have a schedule to keep. You’re the next best thing. Since you’re her marefriend, you’ll have to teach her what Christmas is about in the morning when she wakes up. Good thing you gave her that roofie, or else she’ll remember you drugged her. Nice thinking there.”

“How exactly am I supposed to do that? Tell her I got kidnapped by a mini-Princess Luna that showed me her past? Tav will think I’m crazy!”

“-er, crazier. Do I need to keep correcting you? Well, my shift is almost up, so we need to return before the next ghost take up. Come one!”

“Oh yay.......”

The bleak snow vanishing to make way for a solid wall, Vinyl abruptly fell from her wingless flight face first onto the couch. Weak limbs picking herself up, Vinyl sat on her haunches and stared a digital clock. It barely turned 10:00. She had been gone for about an hour in real time and dreaded being visited by another of Octavia’s ghost.

“You just had to give her a roofie.....”

Author's Note:

Let's call this for what it is....... A bad comedy of all the Christmas specials I ever watched..... A Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!