• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 3,518 Views, 176 Comments

Twilight's Experiments: Saving Chunks - MIKEANTHONY321



Rainbow Dash lands herself in the land of Minecraft with no way to escape...

  • ...
9
 176
 3,518

Suspicions

When Rainbow Dash’s eyes slowly opened the next morning, she found Steve standing next to the furnace with a pickaxe in his hand. She yawned.

“What are you doing?”

Steve turned to look at her.

“Oh, you’re awake! I got up early and mined some extra iron for us in case our pickaxes break. It’s cooking into ingots as we speak.”

“Why would our pickaxes break? They’re made out of solid iron.” She asked.

“In this world, all of your tools break after using them for a while. Iron may be strong, but it doesn’t last forever. Diamond tools also break, but they last an incredibly long time.”

“How much iron did you get?”

“About eighteen blocks. That’s enough to make three pickaxes for each of us.”

Rainbow was surprised.

“Three? I guess they don’t last as long as I thought they would. Is there any way to make them last longer?”

“If you craft an enchantment table, you can enchant your tools to make them last longer, or make them more powerful.” Steve answered.

Rainbow’s eyes widened.

“So there IS magic in this world? Oh, thank Celestia! Does that mean you can enchant some kind of portal to take me back to Equestria?”

Steve shrugged.

“I’ll try, but I don’t think it works like that.”

Rainbow looked down.

“Don’t worry; I’ll do everything in my power to return you to your world. But let’s worry about right now for the time-being. The iron is done smelting, and it’s time to mine!”

……………………………………

Steve led Rainbow down through the ravine, until they reached a large cave that branched off from it. They turned, and entered it.

Not far into it, and the tunnel suddenly dropped straight down.

“Great. Now what do we do?” Rainbow asked.

“Remember what we did to enter the ravine in the first place? Just do the same thing.” Steve replied.

Steve walked to the edge of the hole, and dug straight down with his pickaxe. Rainbow recognized what he was doing, and did the same thing.

Soon after digging, the duo found themselves in a large cavern-type room that was filled with lava. Many assortments of ore lined the walls.

“This is it. This is as far as the caves go before you reach bedrock. If we’re going to find diamond, it’s going to be here.” Steve announced.

Rainbow pointed toward the floor.

“Hey, look at that red stuff that’s buried in the rock. Is that that redstone stuff you were telling me about?”

“Yes, but it’s too close to the lava to mine. I have some of that at my house, so we don’t need to get it right now.

“What about the rest of the stuff that’s down in here? Do we get that?”

“We came down here for diamond, so it’s diamond that we’ll be collecting, and nothing else. We can’t waste too much time down here, because the last thing we need is for a creeper to blow one of us into the lava.”

“Is a creeper that thing that blew me up back when we first got down here?”

“They don’t exactly have the nicest greeting to guests.”

Rainbow chuckled slightly.

“You don’t have to tell ME twice.”

Steve gestured her along.

“Come on, there’s another cave this way that we can follow.”

Rainbow reluctantly followed, and the two of them travelled even further into the depths of the underground tunnels.

Not too far forward, something caught Rainbow’s eye.

“Hey Steve?”

“What is it?”

“Were you down here before?”

“No.”

“Then what’s up with those wooden frames over there?”

“Wait…what?”

“Wooden frames. I know those aren’t natural.”

Steve followed her gaze. When he saw what she was looking at, his eyes went wide, and his jaw went slack.

“Rainbow, you just found an abandoned mineshaft!”

Rainbow looked back and forth.

“An abandoned what-now?”

“An abandoned mineshaft. You can find chests full of valuable things hidden in the tunnels, and other great things!”

“And the extra dangers are…”

“Poisonous cave spiders.” Steve finished for her.

“Of course. Just to make things more difficult.”

Steve ignored her remark.

“Come on, let’s go!”

……………………………………

As the duo walked through the dark tunnels of the mineshaft, Steve lit the hallways as best he could by using torches. No chests have been found yet, but there sure were a lot of junctions.

He snuck a glance back at Rainbow Dash. She walked with a kind of swing in her step, and looked around in a fascinated sort of way.

Of all the ponies to drop into his world, he was glad it was Rainbow Dash. She didn’t appear to be afraid of much, and agreed to all of his decisions.

The other night, she had told him about some of her friends. If Fluttershy were to be the one with him right now, this whole thing would be a disaster. Trying to get her to walk a step in this eerie mineshaft would be like trying to get a brand new house cat out from under a bed.

“So Dash, is there anything else about your world that you want to tell me? I’m getting kind of bored walking around.”

“Um…we have holidays occasionally over the year. Do you know what a holiday is?”

“No, actually. It sounds like something that would be fun.”

“Holidays are awesome! A holiday is a special day of the year where you celebrate something good that happens traditionally.”

Steve scoffed.

“I just celebrate every day I’m still alive. What’s your favorite holiday?”

“I always like Nightmare Night, because I can fly around in an eerie costume and scare the wits out of everypony! This one time, I scared a small filly, and she actually peed herself! I was laughing so hard, I almost did the same thing myself!”

Steve chuckled.

“That sounds like it would be pretty cool. What about your least favorite holiday?”

Rainbow put a hoof up to her chin.

“I’d have to say Hearts and Hooves Day. It’s the day where everyone in Ponyville gets all mushy around each other, and I can’t travel two feet on a heavy street without overhearing some kind of romantic activity. And the worst part of it is…no one ever asks me to be their special somepony.”

As Steve listened to what she was saying, he began to feel kind of bad for her.

“Hey kid, don’t feel so down about it. I barely even know anything about romance, because I’ve never had anyone to share it with. You’ll find someone to be with someday, once I get you out of here.”

An idea crossed Rainbow’s mind, but she quickly discarded it.

“Yeah…I guess.”

Steve raised an eyebrow.

“What is it?”

“Nothing, I didn’t say anything.”

“There’s only the two of us down here, so if you want to say something, you can say it.”

Now Rainbow began to feel embarrassed. She blushed a little, but just enough for Steve to notice.

"Are you thinking about..." He began.

“…Just forget it. I think I see a chest over there.” She interrupted.

Steve quickly looked to where she was looking. Sure enough, a small wooden chest lay up against the wall of the tunnel about twenty feet away.

“Hey, good eye!” He exclaimed.

The two of them jogged up to the chest. Steve opened it, and looked inside. There were some melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, and about four diamonds.

“Yeah, we finally got some diamond! But we’re going to need to keep exploring if we want to find more.”

“Yeah, okay.”

They left the chest alone, and continued to explore the maze of hallways. As they walked, Steve thought hard about Rainbow’s strange behavior.

To be Continued…


Author Notes:

It seems that no matter what subject I write about, I always crawl back to the same awkward subject. Let me know what you think, because I love reading comments!