• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 5,758 Views, 265 Comments

To Change With the Moon - DJ-LUN3RDA5H



A new being appears in Equestria only one problem he wakes up in bed with Princess Luna. How will everypony react to him? Will he be banished when they find out his dark secret? Only time will tell.

  • ...
23
 265
 5,758

The Race/Chapter 5

I smiled and looked at the dark blue princess leading the way through the maze of corridors we had been walking for about 30 minutes and according to her we weren't even half way done. I decided to accompany our walk with some conversation hoping to learn more about this new place.

"So let me get this straight there are earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns," She nodded so I continued.

"Then what does that make you, Celestia, and Cadence?"

"Well we are a different race all together. We are called alicorns and are seen as goddesses in the eyes of our ponies not only for our physical differences but our power and immortality. “She looked up at me and continued.” For example I am viewed as a goddess of the moon because it is I that raise it to the heavens every night, while my sister raises the sun."

"So, you raise the moon at night?" she nodded "Can you control what phase the moon is in?"

"Yes I can, though I stick to a fairly common rotation only breaking it for special occasions." She stopped for a moment in thought. "How would you like to see me create the night tonight?"

"I would enjoy that immensely." I smiled back happily and then I reminded myself of why I wanted the tour so soon. "But first can you tell me what moon you are putting up tonight?"

She stopped walking and put her hoof to her chin in thought. "I was planing on another crescent moon tonight but if you want I'll let you pick out tonight's moon. It's the least I could do after the events that have happened since your arrival."

That was something I thought I'd never hear. I would get to pick what moon will shine that night. I had wished for that so many times my entire life and standing here before me was a being that could bend the moon, my constant torturer, to her will as if it was an everyday thing and to her it was. I stood there with a mix of emotions jealousy, anger, relief, fear, and love. I was getting something I had longed for, the ability of choice.

Then I had a crazy idea, something that sounded insane to me. Perhaps if I told her then she could make it stop. I wouldn't have to face a full moon ever again. I could be free and enjoy the night. But that idea was snuffed out when reality came into play. They had already invited a human, one of the most dangerous predators in existence into their land. What would they do if they learned of the subspecies that loses its mind at the sight of a full moon? A far more dangerous creature with strength, speed and no conscience to speak of, the end result would not be pretty for either party.

That meant I had to go back to the old ways secrets, lies, hiding, and chaining myself up so I don't harm anyone. I do not want to spread my curse through a land that hasn't been touched by it yet, but my selfish human need to live prevented me from doing the right thing and telling others of my situation. A nudge in the ribs brought my mind back to reality.

"Hello? Are you ok John?" The lunar princess asked with a concerned tone in her voice.

I shook my head as I came back to reality, "Huh? Oh.... yeah, no I'm fine, and to answer your question a crescent moon sounds great."

She smiled again and returned to walking with me following behind. "Right then it is settled we shall have a crescent moon tonight. Maybe I'll even make a couple star consolations from your home."

"What, you can make the stars too?" I said in shock

"Of course." she replied with a smug grin, "Did you not hear me when I said I make the night?"

"Wow that's amazing, and all your sister can do is raise the sun?"

She blushed underneath her blue coat. "I will take that as a complement, but do not underestimate raising the sun, for it is no easy task."

"Oh I meant no offence it just seems like creating the night as you put it takes a far more..." I waved my hand around in the air as if trying to catch the right word. “…A far more creative mind. Now that I think of it watching you two work together on an eclipse would be interesting to say the least."

She looked up at me in confusion that was evident in her voice, "What is an eclipse?"

"Huh, well I guess since you guys have control over the sun and the moon you wouldn't ever cause an eclipse unless it was by accident. Anyway, an eclipse is when the light from the sun or the moon is blotted out by another celestial body." Seeing I got her full attention I further explained. "For example a solar eclipse is when the moon moves in front of the sun blocking out the light on the planet below. It is a truly stunning event."

For a moment she seemed lost in thought then she spoke up. "It sounds interesting I shall have to take the idea up with my sister she most definitely would want to give it a try."

For the next few minutes we walked silently only to have her speak when she was telling me where we were and point out some things in the castle. We eventually made our way to the royal garden and it was quite the sight to behold. There were a multitude of flowers all around in every kind of colors and shapes. The scent of nature hung in the air. Something else caught my attention also statues, everywhere. I asked about them and Luna showed me around telling me the story of each one and as time pasted we laughed, joked, and became more comfortable around each other. I was so lost in the beautiful sights around me and the beautiful princess of the moon that was so kind to me I wasn't paying attention to a rock protruding in my path. I tripped and fell with an impressive lack of grace directly on my back.

With a slight chuckle the princess looked down at me and said, "Are you ok?"

I laughed a bit in return and replayed, "Besides injuring my pride a bit, yes I'm fine."

She bowed her head a bit and said, “Here let me help you up."

I simply replied thank you grabbed on the back of her neck as she helped me up. The situation I found myself in when a was stood up was interesting to say the least we both stood there in silence our faces inches apart with my hand still resting behind her head. Realizing what it would look like if someone just so happen to see us I quickly let go and turned around. But not before noticing that she closed her eyes and tried to close the distance between us. Felt my blood rush to my ears as I tried to forget what just happened. That's when I saw it; a statue of some strange creature. There was no plaque under it like the others so I just had to ask.

"Princess, tell me who or what is this?" I indicted by pointing to the statue.

Her tone went cold but I could still see the tell-tale signs of a blush from our earlier moment.

“That is Discord god of chaos." She then proceeded to tell me his story from the beginning from his first downfall, to his resurrection and his second downfall.

"So he's in there? Trapped in stone forever?" I asked looking at the statue.

"Yes, at least until he gets out... if he gets out again. He is an immortal like I, my sister and Cadence. He has all of eternity to escape and only time will tell." She said coldly.

"Can he hear or see us?" I asked looking over the statue once again.

The princess looked at me with a puzzled expression on her face, "I don't know, maybe. Sometimes I think he can."

I walked up to the statue and looked it right in the eyes like I was trying to see into his very soul. A single thought in my mind. 'Chaos? Huh he'd sure get a kick out of meting me.'

I then turned around and walked back to the princess.

"So are there many other kinds of creatures in this world that are like you and me?" I asked.

The answer I got was surprising. Apparently there are quite a number of the living beings here have at least some sort of intelligence with some of them also being capable of complex thought and communication like humans. The two that stuck out in my mind the most where the griffins and changelings, though she didn't speak very highly of the latter. I thought that those two species would be my best chance at being accepted for what I am or at least being able to live semi normally. But I knew I should at least try living here first.

************************

"Well it seems to be getting late if we hurry you could watch as my sister lowers the sun" The princess looked at me with a mischievous grin. "How bout we race for it?"

I looked back at her "What..." but before I could say anything else she galloped forward and yelled

"GO!"

I ran behind her as fast as humanly possible. I didn't want to out run her mostly because I had no idea where we were going but I enjoyed the moment immensely running side by side with her though the castle walls reminded me of the good times I had with my family. We raced past guards, maids, butlers, and several ponies in the halls laughing and enjoying ourselves. Midway through a hall Luna stretched out a wing and slapped my back.

"You're It" She yelled and laughed as she picked up speed galloping a head of me. I sped up too, not staying too far behind her, laughing while we ran. Up ahead a pony pushed a trolley out of a room she just finished cleaning. Seeing the new obstacle in our way Luna spread her wings wide using the high ceilings to her advantage and fly over the trolley, while I had to take a different route by doing a wall run on the adjacent wall and landing on the other side of the it.

As Luna looked down and saw this she said, "Fancy moves, but I will still be the winner." she then stuck her tongue out at me as she landed on the ground in front of me galloping just out of reach. I looked ahead of where we were going and spotted Celestia on a balcony overlooking her kingdom. So with a burst of speed and agility I dashed forward gave Luna a slap on the flank and shouted "You're it." before doing a flip over the blue princess and running ahead. I heard her laughing behind me as I reached my target planted a hand firmly on it. Upon touching It I shouted "Victory." while Luna trotted up to me still giggling and slightly out of breath.

When Celestia cleared her throat I looked over and noticed that my hand was now planted firmly on the royal flank directly over a symbol of the days sun. Now fully embarrassed I removed my hand and turned away and muttered an apology. To this Celestia simply rolled her eyes and smiled.

"It's quite alright, though it is nice to see Luna having so much fun again. It has been ages since I heard you laugh that much Lulu." She smiled at her younger sister.

Luna simply smiled back and glanced quickly at me and then back at her sister, "Oh yes John is ever so much fun we just raced all the way here from the garden. I'm surprised you are not tired at all." She finished addressing me.

At this my smile had faded just a bit but not enough for them to take notice. "Yeah, I did a lot of running back home." It wasn't a lie, I did do a lot of running but not for fun no I was always running from someone, always alone.

Celestia must have taken notice of my mood turning for the worst and she decided to change the subject. "So what brings you up here my friend?"

I perked up at that last word 'friend' I haven't had a friend in years did she really consider me her friend? I decided it was best to not over analyse the situation and just go with the flow for now. "Well Princess Luna asked if I wanted to watch while you lower the sun and then watch her 'make the night' as she put it." I heard Celestia giggle and noticed a slight blush under Luna's dark blue coat.

Celestia straightened up, “Very well then let’s get this show going," and with that her horn let off a golden glow. The sun moved with her and in no time we sat there together enjoying a beautiful sunset.

I sat on the far right next to Luna and only took my eyes off the view when I felt a pressure on my hand I looked down to find Luna's hoof laying lightly on my hand. I looked back up at her and noticed a small blush on her face, so I simply smiled and moved my hand up the crook in her foreleg and gave her a light squeeze which she returned. I looked back to the sun set after I noticed her small smile.

After a few more moments the sun was hidden over the horizon and Luna stood up from her spot and walked to the end of the balcony. A blue glow surrounded the princess’s horn as a crescent moon made its peak over the horizon to take its place high in the sky. After the moon made its peak, Celestia let out a yawn and gave us her farewells as she went to bed for the night.

Luna and I then spent the next half hour recreating Earth's night sky as best as we could from my memory. It was surprisingly close to the real thing. Luna filled in the blank parts of the sky with some of her own favorite constellations that she had made herself. We spent the night sitting next to each other huddled close pretending like we were doing it only to escape the cold.

When Luna caught me in a yawn she said, "Alright you should probably get to bed. You are going to have a busy day tomorrow."

I looked at her confused, "What do you mean?"

"Well you said you needed new clothes right?" I nodded and the princess continued. "I have a trustworthy friend who just so happens to be a clothes designer coming to the castle tomorrow who will make you some new clothes. She should arrive soon actually, her name is Rarity."

Author's Note:

Thank you once again to everyone supporting my story and to DesertRose for helping me improve my writing and making this story legible. I encourage all comments and appreciate thumbs up. Please leave a comment if I made any mistakes. On a side note what do you guys thing of the chapter titles are they good or should I just revert to a number system?