• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 2,787 Views, 240 Comments

A Silver Summer - Fanboy



Silver Spoon's summer vacations couldn't start any worse. Diamond Tiara left with her family, Silver Spoon's parents are at the family's summer house and she has to stay behind in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 240
 2,787

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Silver Spoon had done everything she knew to have a good time for the last one and a half days. She swam in the pool, played crocket and tennis, spent some time at the spa and even ordered the house staff around to bring her the most exotic meals she could think of. But somehow nothing had helped her to put her mind off the next summer lesson today. Time had just dragged on and on. The funny thing about all that was, it never felt like time had been going by, until she had to go to bed all of a sudden, still feeling like she hadn’t done anything at all the whole day.

Now that she was back at her desk for a second day of summer school she couldn’t shake the feeling she had wasted something precious. Even though she had done about everything that was supposed to be fun.

And once again she was as disgusted as she was fascinated by the other foals in her class. They seemed to have the time of their lives. They were chattering and laughing, as if this was all some nice dinner party. Even though most likely none of them would ever get invited to one.

Like two days ago she had to listen to Cheerilee’s endless lectures about other cities, rivers and mountains. Worse than that, Cheerilee called her again and again up to the map to find some city or picked her for questions Silver Spoon didn’t even want to know the answer to.

What was up with her teacher? Why was she treating her this way? The day before yesterday she seemed so understanding of Silver Spoon’s situation. And now it seemed she was determined to make the filly’s life even worse than it already was. What was supposed to happen during Equestrian class, when there would be only three students left? Would Silver Spoon have to answer every question that would come up?

When the lesson was over and half of her classmates had left the room, her worries didn’t exactly come true. Yet Cheerilee still picked her more often than the other two. On one hand that helped her not to think of all the others not being at school right now, and time went by a lot faster like this. But on the other hand the constant feeling of humiliation when she received another pitying look from her teacher after an answer she gave – if she gave one at all – was even worse than being bored and angry.

But just like the last time Equestrian went by eventually. And that meant, on top of everything else, Apple Bloom was about to join the class for the last lesson.

At least Silver Spoon was prepared this time, despite not being exactly sure for what. Would Apple Bloom try to get back at her for what happened the last time they saw each other? Would she just ignore here for the same reason? Would she still be so down about what Silver Spoon had said? Somehow, the last thought gave her that strange feeling again, like a sting deep inside her belly. And once again she tried to figure out what that was. But the door opening and the expected filly entering the class room distracted her.

Like the last time Snips, Snails and Cheerilee were somewhere outside. What meant, like the last time, Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon were the only ponies in the room.

The red maned filly looked around as if to make sure of that. Then she focused on Silver Spoon. For a moment, it looked like she wasn’t sure of what to do, but then she started to walk over to Silver Spoon. Or was she just going to her desk? No, she definitely came over to her. Silver Spoon realized that at the same time she noticed how determined Apple Bloom’s expression was.

Silver Spoon prepared for a storm of accusations and furious insults. She tried to think of possible counter-statements and prepared for being yelled at. Finally, Apple Bloom was at her desk, starring sternly into the eyes of Silver Spoon, who inched back on her chair. Then Apple Bloom opened her mouth and said:

“…”

Nothing. Not a single sound crossed her lips. She just stood there, opened her mouth and closed it again, as if anything she wanted to say refused to leave her mind. Still, she had her eyes focused on Silver Spoon and her expression was as serious as before. Each time Apple Bloom tried again to say something – anything – Silver Spoon became more anxious. Finally she asked: “Is there anything you want to tell me?”

Apple Bloom’s look turned to surprise as if she hadn’t expected to be spoken to. Once more she opened her mouth but then finally gave up. Her head dropped and she took a deep breath. Then she mumbled: “Fluttershy was right.”

“Who?”

Apple Bloom looked back up again. “Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus who lives with all these animals at the edge of the Everfree Forest. I told her what happened.”

Silver Spoon had still no idea who that filly was talking about, but she could feel how reluctant Apple Bloom was to say this and all that followed.

“She said it was not nice for ya’ to say somethin’ like that but ya’ must have yer reasons to think so and if Ah’ want to solve this without gettin’ into a fight Ah’ should find out why ya’ think that way about me. So please tell me, what makes ya’ think Ah’m... Ah’m… Ah’m all those things ya’ said ‘bout me.”

Despite not knowing the mentioned pegasus she already started to like her. Her advice was way more helpful than Bon Bon’s. But why would she talk to her and not to that sister who knew everything about anything? No, that was of no matter now. Apple Bloom was right here, not just admitting that she had nothing in her hoof against Silver Spoon but also asking her to explain why she was so incredibly annoying.

But the very moment she was about to give Apple Bloom the demanded explanation, they were interrupted by the door. Cheerilee entered and told Snips, Snails and the two of them to take their seats, never realizing what chance she had spoiled for one of her students. Silver Spoon mumbled some unrefined words in resignation. She would have to wait for later, if she wanted to or not. And she definitely did not.

The following math lesson was a strange sensation for Silver Spoon. On one hand she really wanted to tell Apple Bloom straight to her face why she didn’t like her. On the other hand, something deep inside her dreaded the end of the lesson. It kept poking into the back of her mind, whispering in Bon Bon’s voice. It admonished her not to go into a tirade of insults. She tried to ignore this voice, tell it that everything she wanted to say were facts, not insults. But that voice wouldn’t go away. Atop of that, being called to the blackboard by Cheerilee for every other equation to solve didn’t help Silver Spoon to clear her mind at all.

When the moment finally came for summer school to end for the day and they stood outside, Cheerilee and their schoolmates gone home, Silver Spoon had lost about everything she wanted to throw at Apple Bloom. Silently she cursed summer classes once again. Back then she knew exactly what had to be told to Apple Bloom. But now her own mind had made her doubt she should do so.

Mercilessly Apple Bloom asked what Silver Spoon didn’t want to answer anymore: “Okay, now that the others are gone, please tell me why ya’ said all those mean things to me. And don’t tell me ‘because it’s the truth.’ Ya’ might think so, but that doesn’t explain why ya’ do.”

Silver Spoon took a deep breath and said: “Okay, I’ll try. Since we’re still at the school, let’s start with that. I just can’t take how you’re always showing off in class. You can’t keep your hoof down for two minutes. And on top of that, you use every chance you get to suck up to Cheerilee."

Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow. “Suck up to Cheerilee? When did Ah’ do that?”

“Like at Hearts and Hooves Day. That oversized card, if you could call it that, you and your friends gave her. What was up with that?”

“That was not 'sucking up'. We really like her that much. And we wanted to show her.”

“Guess what, everypony in our class likes Cheerilee. But none of us goes crazy about it like you did then. And don’t think I didn’t hear your talk about her being so perfect and amazing. Don’t tell me you didn’t tell her all that because you wanted to be in favor with her.”

“Of course Ah’ didn’t. Ah’ told her because Ah’ like her.”

“And then why are you so keen to answer every single question she asks during class?”

Apple Bloom’s face went blank. She looked like she tried to process what she had been asked but couldn’t quite understand how somepony could ask it in the first place.

“Well?” Silver Spoon pressed.

“Do ya’ wanna say ya’ don’t like me because Ah’m good at school?” Apple Bloom’s confusion reflected in every word.

“No. It’s not just because you’re good at school. It’s because you can’t live without being the best at school and showing it off to everypony else. Among other things.”

The accused filly let out a deep sigh. “Okay, let’s put this aside and get to those other things. Because there’s one thing that really hurt me. Why did ya’ call me a liar?”

Silver Spoon lifted an eyebrow. She would have thought the answer was quite clear. “Because you’re telling lies. Why else would I call you a liar?”

“No, Ah’m not. Ah’ never lie.” Apple Bloom tried to state this as calm as possible but was barely able to conceal the building anger in her voice. For a brief moment the thought of provoking her more just to push that filly over the edge crossed Silver Spoon’s head. But again, Bon Bon’s voice warned her not to.

“Yes, you do. You lied about your cutie mark at Diamond Tiara’s cute-ceañera. And again when you got your fake cutie marks.”

She was sure that she could see a faint hint of red on Apple Bloom’s cheek. Obviously she had hit a mark. When Apple answered the anger underlined in her voice was mixed with embarrassment, yet still she remained calm. “Okay, Ah’ did lie about ma’ cutie mark. But only because ya’ and Diamond Tiara wouldn’t leave me alone. And speaking of yer friend, what was that about me tellin’ lies about her?”

“Oh, don’t deny that. She told me you did. Like those stories you spread that your family made hers rich.” Silver Spoon’s voice was stern. She already expected Apple Bloom to humbly admit her fault.

But the filly only gave her another blank stare. After a moment of silence she said: “Come again?”

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes. Now it was her turn to build up some anger. “Don’t act like you don’t know.”

“But Ah’ really don’t know. When did Ah’ ever say anythin’ like that?” the yellow filly replied in desperate confusion.

“That story about her family only being rich because you let them sell your jam?” Silver Spoon stated.

Apple Bloom blinked a few times at those last words. Then her eyes widened in realization. “Yer not talkin’ about the zap apple jam, are ya’?”

Silver Spoon nodded. “I am.”

Apple Bloom closed her eyes and started rubbing her forehead with her hoof. “Listen, first of all, Ah’ never said to anypony that we made her family rich. Only that they started getting’ rich by sellin’ our jam. That’s all. And second of all, ya’ know it’s the truth. Granny Smith told our whole class about it. Ya’ were there. Ya’ even liked that story.”

Silver Spoon hesitated. It was true, she had liked that story back then. But… “Yes, maybe your granny caught me with some good storytelling. But Diamond Tiara told me that all of this was utter nonsense. There is no way her family would need some farm ponies for help.”

Not a second later, Silver Spoon had the sudden urge to back away from Apple Bloom. A sudden glare of anger in those amber eyes had really taken the grey filly by surprise. But Apple Bloom just took another few deep breaths and closed her eyes. “Has it ever occurred to ya’ that she didn’t tell the truth?” Now there was no concealment for anything in her voice. It was shaking with anger and frustration. And, to her astonishment, Silver Spoon was sure she heard a bit of disappointment as well.

“Now you’re calling her a liar?” Her reply was weak. She had wanted to postulate an accusation but noticed at once it came out as a meekly excuse for a dodge.

“Listen, Ah’ don’t know what she told ya’. Maybe she misunderstood what Ah’ said. Or it’s just that she doesn’t want my family to be part of the reason for her family’s riches. But truth is, Ah’ never told any lies about her or her family.”

Silver Spoon tried to think of a rebuttal to this. But not only couldn’t she come up with any counter-argument. The more she thought about what Apple Bloom had said, the more it made sense to her. And since she didn’t respond in any way, Apple Bloom continued: “Now that Ah’ think back to Family Appreciation Day, I get the feelin’ it was then when Ah’ started hopin’ that at least ya’ would finally turn around and stop being so rude to me and ma’ friends. But why is it yer still tryin’ to have a go at us whenever ya’ see us?”

Finally, something easy to answer. This was such a relief for her that Silver Spoon actually smiled when she said: “Well, because Diamaond Tiara says-“

“No. Stop right there,” Apple Bloom interrupted her. “Don’t give me a reason why Diamond Tiara is doin’ this. Tell me yer reasons why yer doin’ it.”

Silver Spoon’s confidence was gone as fast as it had appeared. “But, Diamond Tiara-“

“Don’t ya’ have any thoughts of yer own? Do ya have to rely on Diamond Tiara for everythin’?” Apple Bloom shot at her.

“Oh, but it’s okay for you to justify everything you do and say with that sister of yours?” Silver Spoon countered, getting a little huffy.

“Ah’m not justifyin’ anythin’. Yes, Ah’ do ask ma’ sister a lot for help. Because she’s older than me and therefore knows more than me. But Diamond Tiara is the same age as ya’ and frankly, Ah’m not sure if she does even know a smitch more about anythin’ than either of us does. Maybe ya’ should try thinking for yerself for a change.”

Silver Spoon was dumbstruck. Somehow this little chance for telling Apple Bloom off for once had changed into a more than unpleasant experience very quickly. But, to Silver Spoons confusion, somewhere in her mind the more Apple Bloom said the more she had to think of Bon Bon. Why was the advice about helping others to improve slowly creeping into her mind right now?

Endless seconds passed as Silver Spoon’s mind raced to come up with a response to Apple Bloom’s words. All the while she was trying to understand why her subconscious was bringing up Bon Bon’s advice right now. Apple Bloom’s intense stare did not help her in any way. The grey filly broke the eye contact in the hope to find something inspiring for her. But neither the trees, bushes nor the grass at her hooves came to her aide. But when she lifted her head back up, she saw something else coming up to them. Or rather, somepony else.

As if the whole situation wasn’t bad enough in itself, somehow Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo had decided to join it right now. And Silver Spoon definitely didn’t like the look on the face of the latter. The orange pegasus filly’s gaze was fixated on Silver Spoon, burning with anger. The little white unicorn on the other hand looked rather worried than anything else. She made fainthearted attempts to hold her friend back as they both closed in on the fillies already present.

“What are you up to this time? Trying to make her cry again?” Scootaloo threw at Silver Spoon as she walked the last steps over to her. She stopped when their faces were only inches apart, staring right into the accused filly’s eyes.

Silver Spoon was about to reply when another voice said: “We’re just talkin’.”

“I told you last time, you never…” Scootaloo fell silent and turned her head around. “Wait, did you just say that, Apple Bloom?”

“Yes, Ah’ did. At first, Ah’ wanted to do… what we had talked about. But then Ah’ figured Fluttershy was right. If we just keep fightin’, nothin’-”

“Oh come on, Fluttershy is nice and all but she is too nice. She knows nothing about having a fight. I bet she would even try asking a dragon to leave when it’s right about to burn Ponyville to the ground.”

“I bet she would rather stare it down,” Sweetie Belle chimed in, her face brimming with excitement.

“Don’t be ridiculous, even she couldn’t do that,” Scootaloo shot her down.

Apple Bloom scratched her chin. “Ya’ really think so? The way she snubbed that Cockathingy was awesome. Maybe she could take a dragon.”

“I think so, too,” Sweetie Belle agreed, still smiling.

“Well, I don’t,” Scootaloo replied.

“Um, hello?” Silver Spoon asked.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders fell silent and looked at Silver Spoon slightly surprised, as if they had completely forgotten she was still there.

“Oh, yeah. You. So you were just talking, huh?” The way Scootaloo stressed every word made it perfectly clear she still didn’t believe the two of them were able to have a normal conversation.

Silver Spoon sighed. “Told you so.”

“I don’t believe you. I know you were trying to get to Apple Bloom again. Maybe she hadn’t noticed it yet, but I know you were.”

The young pegasus sounded even angrier than before. Silver Spoon on the other hand got more annoyed with each word Scootaloo had said.

“How would you know that? Stop acting like everything I do is for making her cry.”

“But that’s what you do,” Scootaloo stated matter-of-factly.

“No, why would you say that?” cried Silver Spoon

“Because it’s the truth.”

Silver Spoon had her mouth already open to give another reply when a realization struck her. The way this conversation went was all too familiar for her. And she didn’t like it one bit. Being on this end of it was really aggravating. Not exactly the fact of being falsely accused but rather the way it happened. The crude assumption without any attempt of reasoning was frustrating.

She glanced over to Apple Bloom, who also was about to say something but then noticed Silver Spoon’s look. Her eyes held contact with Silver Spoon’s for a moment, then the filly closed her mouth and smiled. Silver Spoon knew exactly what Apple Bloom tried to tell her with that.

“No, it’s not,” the silver maned filly sighed. “But never mind that. What was that plan you three had worked out for me?”

“Giving you some of your own medicine,” was Scootaloo’s quick and direct answer. Then she turned to Apple Bloom again: “Why didn’t you just tell her she is just a stuck-up, egocentrically little brat that has no real fr-“

“Because it wouldn’t have helped anythin’,” Apple Bloom interrupted her. Silver Spoon was surprised how stern her voice was. She had never expected her to talk to one of her friends like that. It almost felt to Silver Spoon like she was defending her. But the little grey filly knew that couldn’t be true.

The statement was followed by a moment of silence when both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stared intensely at each other. So all the other three fillies heard Silver Spoon as she mumbled: “Strange, that’s almost exactly what Bon Bon said…”

“Who?” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo asked in unison.

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow and asked: “Wait, somepony actually told you that?”

“No, she didn’t say it about me, but about Apple Bloom,” Silver Spoon corrected the white unicorn.

“What?” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “Why would she say that?”

“And who is this Bon Bon anyway? Another spoiled little brat like you?” Scootaloo added.

As infuriating as those words were, Silver Spoon worked up all her self control to ignore the insult. “She is the owner of the candy store. A cream-colored mare with a blue and purple mane. Her cutie mark is three bonbons.”

“Yeah, I know her,” Sweetie Belle said, “but what does she have to do with Apple Bloom? How does she even know her?”

Silver Spoon explained: “She said she met her when Apple Bloom tried to sell her some apples.”

“Oh,” was all that came from Apple Bloom. Within an instant her face turned crimson and to the ground. When she noticed that the other three stared at her expectantly, she added: “Well, Ah’ think Ah’ know her, too. Ah’ admit Ah’ may have been a tad bit overzealous that day.”

“What day?” Scootaloo asked.

“What did you do?” Sweetie Belle wanted to know.

Apple Bloom’s head sunk even lower: “Well, if ya’ really need to know… but it’s pretty embarrassin’… ya see, it was the day of Diamond Tiara’s cute-ceañera when Ah’ was so desperate to get ma’ cutie mark. So Ah’ tried a lot of different things that day. When Ah’ tried sellin’ Apples with ma’ sister, Ah’ put some apples in her bag and…” Her voice trembled of into an incomprehensible mumbling.

“And what?” inquired Scootaloo.

“And Ah’ tried to force her to pay by pretendin’ she took them by herself,” Apple Bloom finished with her eyes closed.

Silver Spoon just stared at Apple Bloom and her friends in silent disbelief. And those friends were fixated on Apple Bloom, also not saying anything. The yellow filly herself continued to look at the grass around her hooves. Silver Spoon felt awkward. There was something inside of her that somehow came to the impression that what had happened on the mentioned day was somehow partly her fault. As silly as that sounded.

But there was another thought which bothered Silver Spoon even more; Apple Bloom did something stupid. That wasn’t anything new. But usually, when she did so, that wasn’t the end of it. Silver Spoon knew that. Those stories usually, no, always ended with that filly getting some undeserved reward or praise at least. That’s why she asked: “And then what happened? How did you get out of it that time?”

Apple Bloom lifted her head just far enough so she could look at Silver Spoon and said: “Ah’ didn’t. Applejack was pretty angry and sent me home.”

Silver Spoon waited but that was all that came from Apple Bloom. “That’s it? Nothing else?”

“What do ya’ mean, that’s it? Applejack had never been that angry with me before. She didn’t even want me around her anymore back then.”

“And you didn’t get grounded? Or got your allowance cut? Or had to mow the lawn while the gardener got a day off?”

“You have a gardener, Apple Bloom?” a surprised Sweetie Belle asked.

“No, we don’t,” Apple Bloom replied exasperatedly to Sweetie Belle, then turned back to Silver Spoon. “First of all, Ah’ always help mowin’ the lawn. And secondly, no, Ah didn’t get grounded or got ma’ allowance cut. Not then, not ever. Applejack would never be so mean to me.”

“So you did get away with it. Like having your sister being angry at you is so special. Not much of a punishment.” Silver Spoon sighed in angry resignation.

“How can you say that?” exclaimed Sweetie Belle. “Having your sister being angry at you is terrible.”

Silver Spoon snorted in frustration. “If that’s really the worst you can think of and your sisters are so awesome, then why did you go to that Fluttershy to cry over what I said to you?”

The yellow filly remained calm. “Because we were meeting up there anyway for our sleepover. And ma’ sister would’ve been busy buckin’ apples.”

This explanation was not exactly helping Silver Spoon to understand what had transpired two days ago. Quite the contrary, it just confused her even more. “Why are you having a sleepover at her place? Why not at any of your homes?”

“Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are goin’ on vacation tomorrow with their families, so they’re too busy with preparations. And my sister and brother have to work real hard at the farm right now, so they don’t want the responsibility to look after the three of us on top of that. But since we won’t see each other for the next two weeks, we asked Fluttershy. We had a sleepover at hers before and it was great. And now we’re campin’ in her garden.”

“Camping? What is camping?”

Apple Bloom and her friends looked as if Silver Spoon had asked if two and two was still four. The red maned filly asked: “Ya’ really don’t know what that is?”

“No, I never heard of that,” replied Silver Spoon honestly.

“But we read a story about it in school only a few month ago,” Sweetie Belle threw in.

“We did?”

The grey filly couldn’t remember, as hard as she tried. But she didn’t have to think too long about it, because Apple Bloom was nice enough to finally give her a short description of what they were talking about: “It’s livin’ in a tent, sleepin’ in sleepin’ bags and cookin’ ya’ food over a camp fire.”

Silver Spoon couldn’t believe what she heard. This idea was so strange, so nonsensical to her. Sleeping in a tent instead of a comfortable bed? Cooking your own meals? By choice?

After a brief moment of confusion she asked: “And you’re really doing that because you want to? That is not some kind of punishment for something you did?”

<Maybe that’s why nopony bothers with punishing them, they just keep punishing themselves. And like it.>

“Of course we want to. Telling stories in the evening, singing songs and just spending time together as friends is awesome,” Sweetie Belle laughed.

Silver Spoon still wasn’t sure what to make of that. That white coated unicorn was just too excitable. She had to ask: “But can’t you do that in a house just as well?”

“No.” This time it was Apple Bloom again who answered. “Okay, of course ya’ can do those things inside a house together. But doin’ it while yer on yer own outside somehow makes it more special.” She smiled at Silver Spoon who still wasn’t convinced. And her face must have shown that because Apple Bloom added: “Well, if ya’ don’t believe me, why don’t ya’ try it for yerself?”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked at her alarmed, obviously expecting the same as Silver Spoon. And Apple Bloom fulfilled these expectations: “Just come and join us for tonight!”

“What?” her friends shrieked in shock and terror.

Sweetie Belle just stared at her disbelievingly. But Scootaloo wasn’t done with that. “Apple Bloom, are you out of your mind? Inviting her? It’s the last time in the next two weeks Sweetie Belle, you and I will see each other. And you want to ruin it with that one?”

Those last remarks went right to Silver Spoons heart. Why? She didn’t know herself. She wouldn’t want to do something stupid like that anyway, right? Then how was it that being denied the chance for it brought her on the verge of tears in an instant? Confused about herself and suddenly furious about the other fillies around her she cried: “Who said I wanted to anyway?”

And with that she ran off. Through the clip-clop of her hooves and her own sobs she heard Apple Bloom calling out something but couldn’t understand what. Right now it didn’t matter. All that was important at the moment was to make sure they wouldn’t even see a single tear on her face.

When she had put enough distance between them and herself to be sure they couldn’t see her anymore, she finally slowed down. She still didn’t know why those last remarks made her cry all of a sudden. The outlooks of spending a whole night with those three was more terrifying to her than the whole prospect of all the make-up classes.

As she tried to figure out what happened and relived the conversation in her head again, still not able to control her tears in the slightest, something else crossed her mind. Something that had flown past her back then. Had Apple Bloom said her sister would never punish her for anything? Why should she in the first place? Wasn’t that parents-business?

Author's Note:

There isn't much I could say that I havn't said before. I hope you liked it, but even and especially if not, please leave some feddback. See you next chapter, it should be out around the middle of March.