• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 2,786 Views, 240 Comments

A Silver Summer - Fanboy



Silver Spoon's summer vacations couldn't start any worse. Diamond Tiara left with her family, Silver Spoon's parents are at the family's summer house and she has to stay behind in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 240
 2,786

Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Silver Spoon put on her best smile. “That's great. I knew you would understand. So, what do you say we-”

She got interrupted by a thud directly behind her. When she turned around she saw one of her books lying on the doorstep. Still wondering how it got there she heard Diamond Tiara saying:

“What did you do with your bags?”

Obviously she had got them ripped open. A quick check inside revealed that all the other books were still there. Yet everything else was gone.

“How did this...” mumbled Silver Spoon, but then realization set in. “The market!”

“The market?”

“Yes, I hit a stand there while I was running home. That's when this happened. I'll have to go look for my stuff!”

She was already about to run off when her friend held her back.

“What about Stickler?”

It took her a moment to grasp what Di meant. Then she turned around once more to go look for her butler. Which proved harder than she had expected. She had never before spent a thought on where Stickler was when he wasn't around her. And for the first time she became aware of how vast her home actually was. In the end, where the butler was remained a mystery, as they ran into Rosy. The maid seemed to understand only half of what Silver Spoon was hastily laying out for her, but she didn't object when she was told the fillies wanted to leave the house and look for the missing stuff.

They started their search right outside the front door, checking the flowerbeds to each side if anything had landed there. In the same fashion they worked their way through the streets, looking into every alley, turning over anything that could even hide a single quill. This way, what would have normally been a walk of minutes turned into over an hour. Yet when they finally reached the market place they hadn't found anything.

“Can't you just re-buy those things?” Diamond Tiara asked, making little effort for hiding her annoyance. “If we hurry we might make it to the store before it closes.”

“The quills and writing pads, yes. But I need my notes.”

“That is the first time I've ever heard you say this.” Diamond Tiara laughed in disbelief. “If this wasn't for you... So, which way did you come from?”

They set out to retrace her steps in reverse. Yet even though most stands were already closed down and the place was far less crowded than before, again, their search remained fruitless.

After a while Diamond Tiara groaned: “I think this is pointless. I lost track of how long we've been searching now. I guess it's time you admit your things are gone.”

“I guess you're right,” Silver Spoon agreed. “I'm sorry that I dragged you out here for nothing.”

“At least we finally got to spend some time together.” Diamond Tiara's tone betrayed her optimistic words. “I only wish we could have done something like hanging out in the pool.”

“We can still do that. Maybe not today, but there's still a few weeks of summer left.”

“But I meant just you and me. Not with your new friends hanging around.”

“Then let them be your new friends too. That's what I've been trying to tell you for days now.”

“We'll see about that tomorrow.”

The way home also took longer than usual. Despite having given up on searching, Silver Spoon still kept an eye out for anything they might have missed.

Nonetheless they returned empty hoofed. Mentally beat, she dragged herself up the stairs. It took her a moment to realize that there was somepony standing in front of her room.

“Oh, there you are,” said Honey Blossom, smiling at the two . “No need to knock then, I guess.” The young mare smiled at Silver Spoon. “You look kind of down. Did something happen?”

“You could say that,” Silver Spoon replied.

“Let me guess. You lost something, right?”

Silver Spoon's ears perked. “Yes. How did you know?”

Honey Blossom laughed. “Because I picked it up after you spread your school stuff all around our market stand.”

“Really? That's great. When can I come over and pick it up?”

“Right now, it's in Marecedes's room. That's why I came looking for you.”

“So,” Diamond Tiara said, “does this mean we could have just waited here instead of spending the whole afternoon practically crawling to the market and back?”

“You did that?” said Honey Blossom, barely containing her grin.

“Hey, how was I supposed to know she had my stuff?” Silver Spoon replied.

Diamond Tiara shook her head. “Never mind. I think it would be best if I just stay here. Or do you want my support?”

“Support?” asked Honey Blossom.

“No, no,” Silver Spoon said hastily. “I'll be fine. Let's go.”

On the short way towards Marecedes's room Honey Blossom asked: “Is this support thing still about whatever is going on between you and your sister?”

“Yes, she has always supported me against... I mean, in this matter.”

“And do you think this Diamond Tiara is really the best pony to help you out with this?” Honey Blossom asked while opening the door to the place they were heading for.

“Until recently she was the only one,” Silver Spoon pointed out.

“What, you're still hanging out with that imp?” Marecedes asked when they entered her room, not bothering to look up from the magazine she was reading.

Silver Spoon stared back at her sister sitting on the bed, casually leaning against the wall. But the onsetting anger quickly faded away in the realization how much this room had changed since the last time she had been in there. This could barely be called the same room she remembered. The bed, the desk, even the wardrobe – it all seemed so... grown up. She couldn't put her hoof on what it was that made the difference, yet something about it reminded her instantly how much older her sister was.

“What is it?” Marecedes's voice drew her back to the present. “You look like you've never been in here before.”

“It feels like it,” Silver Spoon answered. “Where did all the pink go?”

“It left as soon as I took over choosing colors from mom. But back to my question. I don't get why you still waste your time with that little princess.”

“Because she is still my best friend. And nothing will change that.”

“I wouldn't be so sure about that,” Marecedes said indifferently.

“What do you mean by that?” Silver Spoon asked, suddenly having the image of her sister and Diamond Tiara talking with each other in front of her eyes.

Marecedes already had her mouth open, but then a thought seemed to cross her mind. She tapped her chin a few times and then said: “You know what? Why don't you find that out for yourself.”

“Marecedes,” Honey Blossom said, “don't you think you ought to tell her?”

“Tell me what?” Silver Spoon wanted to know.

“No,” insisted Marecedes. “I thought I should. But I told her so many times before and she never got it. And considering what happened, not telling her worked surprisingly well.”

“Well?” snapped Silver Spoon. “That was horrible. I never had a fight with Di before!”

“Oh, I wasn't even talking about that,” answered Marecedes, a smile now forming on her face. “But yes, that was a nice bonus.”

Silver Spoon glared back at her sister, the familiar burning inside her chest starting to rise. But before she was able to say anything, she felt Honey Blossom's hoof on her back.

“Don't you think Silver Spoon deserves to know?”

Marecedes shook her head. “Listen, she wouldn't believe me. Like I said, she never did. But hey, Silver Spoon, how is this for an idea: Why don't you ask her what we talked about? And then see if her answer is believable or not.”

“No problem, she never lies to me,” Silver Spoon stated. “But since we talk about, um, what you have been talking about: Apple Bloom has told me that you asked her why she is my friend.”

“Actually, why she wants to be your friend,” her sister corrected.

“Or that. Why does that matter to you?”

Marecedes took a deep breath and finally put down the magazine. “Because of what you said. About siblings not being responsible for each other's actions. And I can't deny that you've changed ever since she started hanging around with you. So I wanted to know her... her... agenda.”

“Her what?” Silver Spoon asked

“Well, her real reasons she is doing all this. I guess I don't need to tell you what has been going on between the two of you. And you already know that her sister and I are also not exactly the best of friends. So I wanted to make sure this isn't all just some ploy for them – or at least one of them – to get some revenge.”

“Wait,” Honey Blossom threw in, “do you really think she would have told you if that were the case?”

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” replied Marecedes. “But I just had to ask. And to be honest, she didn't seem to me like she was lying when she answered.”

Honey Blossom didn't look like she had anything more to add, but for Silver Spoon things weren't settled with that. “Do you really think Apple Bloom would do something like that? Or Applejack, for that matter?”

“Maybe.” Marecedes shrugged. “But since you brought it up, I'm curious. Has she asked you for anything so far? Any favors, money or whatever?”

“No,” Silver Spoon said instantly. Then she started thinking. “Not like that, anyway.”

“Like that?” the two mares asked in unison.

“No, it's nothing. You just reminded that... I promised her something. But she didn't ask me for that, honestly. It was my idea.”

Marecedes exchanged a cautious look with her friend before asking: “What was your idea?”

“That she and her family can use our summer house when we're not there. Because, you know, they never had a real vacation before.”

“Hey, now,” said Marecedes, sounding like she was forcing and restraining a laugh at the same time. “You can't just promise something like that. Mom and dad will have something to say about it, I think.”

Silver Spoon nodded. “Yes, I know. And that's why I have to ask them.”

“Shouldn't you've done that before you promise something like that?” asked Honey Blossom.

“No,” replied Silver Spoon. “Father always gives me what I ask him for.”

Honey Blossom cocked an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Unfortunately, yes,” sighed Marecedes. “But I don't think we'd be done before supper if we got into that. Well then, go ahead and ask dad about this. I just hope he does the sensible thing for once.”

Silver Spoon was about to ask what the sensible thing would be, but when she saw her sister picking the magazine back up she knew that saying any more would only lead to unnecessary fighting. So she simply turned around, determined to find Stickler.

Yet Honey Blossom held her back. “Wait. Aren't you forgetting about something?”

“Like what?” she snapped, far more aggressive than she had wanted to.

“Like what you came here for in the first place?”

“In the first...” Silver Spoon started but then got cut off by a very unpleasant heat growing all over her face. “Oh, right. My school stuff.”

With an apologetic look she thanked Honey Blossom and took the bag the young mare handed her. Then she returned to her own room. And again, somepony was waiting for her there in front of the door.

“Good evening, Miss Silver Spoon,” Rosy greeted her with a smile. “Stickler sent me to tell you that supper is served.”

“Thank you,” she replied. “I'll inform Di. Um, could you tell Stickler for me that I need to talk with father? This evening, if possible?”

“Of course.” Rosy nodded and left.

“What took you so long?” was the first Silver Spoon heard when she opened the door to her room. “Did anything happen between you and your sister?”

“Don't worry, Di. Nothing happened. Nothing you would need to worry about.”

“Alright, if you say so.”

Silver Spoon didn't miss the air of distrust in her friend's words. She decided to just leave the topic at that. “By the way, Rosy said supper is ready. Maybe we should go.”

Diamond Tiara looked like she wanted to say something, but then simply nodded. Moments later they were well supplied with various kinds of bread, cheeses, jams and fruits. Yet there was still one thing Silver Spoon was missing.

Once again she found herself sitting there in silence. Di didn't seem like she was about to say anything. And even though this time she looked in no way to be offended by anything, there was still a gloomy air surrounding her. Silver Spoon couldn't blame her for that, seeing how the day they had went. Yet, she still wished they had anything they could talk about.

After a while she knew she couldn't stand it anymore. She just had to say something. “Say, how was your trip to the beach this year?” was the first thing she came up with.

“Lovely,” Diamond Tiara answered without looking up. “As always.”

“Um... did anything special happen?”

“No. Not really.”

Silver Spoon stared at her friend who didn't even show as much as a twitch on her face. But she wouldn't give up this easily. “And your trip back to Ponyville? ”

“Uneventful.”

“That's good, of course. But how is it riding the train on your own? I never did that before.”

Diamond Tiara shrugged. “Not that different. The conductor checked my cabin more often than usually.”

“Oh, that was nice of him.”

“Uh-huh.”

For a moment, Silver Spoon fell silent again. Her friend still was more interested in the table than in her. Then she said: “Oh, come on Di. I know this wasn't the day either of us had in mind, but-”

“Nothing is like I had it in mind.” Now her friend finally lifted her head, giving Silver Spoon a glare that made her inch backwards on her chair. “And speaking of which, since when have you become so chatty during meals?”

“What?”

“Usually you wouldn't say a word more than necessary when there's food on the table. But now it's like you can't stop talking.”

Silver Spoon blinked a few times before answering: “Do you want me to stop talking to you, Di?”

“No, of course not. It's just so... not you. Not like the you I know.”

“Di, um, how should I say this... I don't want to be like the Silver Spoon you knew ever again.”

“Yes, you made that clear before,” Diamond Tiara replied dryly, letting her head drop again. “And I still don't get it.”

Again, silence followed. A silence that laid heavy on Silver Spoon's mood. And this time it was not broken until Stickler entered the room.

Seemingly unaware of the current atmosphere he announced: “Lady Silver Spoon, your call would be ready now. Are you available at the moment or should I request your father to wait?”

Silver Spoon was on her hooves before her butler had finished his question. “No, let's go,” she said with more relief in her voice than she had wanted to show.

She followed Stickler through the mansion. Even though she knew perfectly well where they were heading it only now dawned on her that she would be in her father's study all alone. Well, not that alone, Stickler would still be there, but usually her father wouldn't let her stay there without his personal supervision. It even felt like a completely different place, when she entered the room without him being there. Sure, everything was still as it should be. The shelves with only a few, very thick books and lots and lots of even thicker folders. Those big ones grown-ups use, not the small plastic folders she had for school. The rubber plant in one corner still was in top shape. None of the paintings hanging at the wall – each depicting one member of their family – was missing. Even the one of her father Silver Spoon had drawn a few years ago. Though she had no idea why he kept it. Compared to the professional works it looked rather terrible to her. And, of course, the desk, as always covered in that neatly organized chaos her father managed to maintain despite every attempt of intervention on her mother's part. She still claimed that he would one day misplace one of his factories if he kept things like they were.

But the scattered piles of paper were of no interest to her right now. All she cared about now was the little apparatus standing next to the typewriter. She had seen her father use the telephone before, he had even explained it to her. Yet still she felt a curious uncertainty when she picked up the smaller piece and placed it on her ear.

Nothing.

Cautiously, she stepped a little closer to the bigger part on the other end of the cord and said: “He-, hello?”

“Ah, there you are,” she heard the joyful voice of her father. Hearing but not seeing him, knowing he was miles and miles away was a peculiar sensation. Particularly more so as he sounded like he was talking from behind a thin wall. “How are you, my little Silver Spoon?”

“Oh I'm... I'm fine, thank you. And how are you and mother?”

“We're doing fine, too, thank you. It is the same, quiet summer we enjoy every year. But Stickler told me your summer so far has been quite eventful?”

“Oh, yes.” Silver Spoon smiled, followed by the immediate realization that her father couldn't see her. Glad that he also couldn't see the blush on her cheeks, she started to tell him about everything that had happened. Maybe she tweaked the truth a little bit here and there, like who might have been at fault for the fight she had with Apple Bloom at the very first day of summer school. And she carefully made sure her father understood how nice and welcoming the whole Apple family had been towards her, especially how much Apple Bloom had helped her so far with school and a lot of other things.

When Silver Spoon had finally reported every last detail of her new friend's good deeds, her father broke his state of silent listening. “Now that sounds like you are not that upset anymore about us leaving you at home.”

Silver Spoon smiled again. This time to herself. “No, not anymore. I never thought I would say that, but I am glad I didn't go on vacation this year.”

“Well, I am glad to hear that. But it reminds me, your mother and I have met some of your friends here. They asked us to tell you they miss you and hope they'll see you again next year.”

“Oh, thank you. Please tell them I miss them too when you see them again. But, talking about going on vacation...”

As her voiuce had trailed of, her father asked:“Yes?”

Silver Spoon hesitated. In her imagination, this had been so much easier to say. Now she had to fight to simply get the right words together. “You know... um... Did you know that there are ponies who don't go on vacation? I mean, not because they don't want to. Just because they're... because they can't afford it.”

It took her father a moment to answer. And when he did his voice carried a note Silver Spoon wasn't used to. It was a faint but distinct hint of uncertainty that was the complete opposite of what her father stood for.

“Yes, I do. Why do you ask?”

“Well, it's just that, um...” Why was saying this making her so uncomfortable? “Apple Bloom told me she never had a real vacation. And so I thought, um...”

“You thought?”

“That, well, maybe her family could use our summer house. You know, from time to time. We're only staying there for a few weeks a year.”

“So, are you asking me to let ponies we barely know stay at our property?”

“Er... yes?”

“But Silver Spoon, we can't do that. I know, you're friends with Apple Bloom, but they are basically strangers to us. How could I allow that?”

“But... but... I know them,” Silver Spoon pleaded. “And all it took them to treat me like one of their family was one dinner!”

“Really?”

“Yes!” Silver Spoon insisted.

“Well, maybe then we should invite them over for dinner as soon as we are back home. What do you say?”

“I... You really mean that?”

Silver Spoon could hear her father smile as he answered: “Of course. And then we'll see about the summer house. Does that seem fair?”

“More than fair. Thank you.”

“No, no. There's no need to thank me. I'm proud of you, my little Silver Spoon.”

She stopped short. That had made him proud of her?

“But say,” he continued, leaving her no chance to pursue that thought. “You haven't lost one word about your surprise so far.”

“My surprise?”

“Yes,” said her father. “Diamond Tiara. Stickler told me she had arrived yesterday.”

Silver Spoon cringed. “Ah, yes, she has. Thank you for letting her stay here.”

“Again, you don't have to thank me. I just wish I've had that idea sooner.”

Once more, Silver Spoon was taken by surprise. But this time she wasted no time asking about it: “You had the idea?”

“Oh, yes. You know, as soon as we had arrived here, I did start to feel sorry for you. So, after some thinking I called up Filthy Rich and asked him if it would be alright for him if Diamond Tiara were to stay at our home. It needed some convincing, yet in the end everything worked out just fine. As you know by now, I guess.”

“Convincing? Was he really against Di coming here?”

“No, he thought that was a nice idea. But Diamond Tiara was a bit afraid of traveling without her parents. Filthy Rich told me that, as much as she loved the chance to stay with you, they had to promise her more than once they would instruct the conductor to watch over her.”

Silver Spoon was dumbstruck. All she could say was: “Really?”

“Yes, really. But be honest, would you have not been at least a bit nervous about such a trip?”

“Oh, yes,” she responded absentmindedly. “Most likely.”

“Is anything the matter, Silver Spoon?”

At these words, she shook her head. Not to deny the question, but to clear her mind. Still, her answer was: “No, it's nothing. I think I'm just getting tired. It has been quite a long day.”

“I see. Then I don't want to keep you from your bed. Have a good night and lovely dreams.”

“Yes, you too, father.”

Silver Spoon slowly put the small earpiece onto the cradle on the top of the telephone. Then she stared at it, caught in her thoughts.

“Is anything the matter, Lady Silver Spoon?”

She jumped at Stickler's voice. She had already forgotten that he had been there the whole time.

Silver Spoon shook her head. “No, I think not.”

The butler simply looked at her with his almost-never-changing mien. Then he closed his eyes and said: “If you say so, young Lady. But if anything should come up, don't hesitate talking to me.”

Silver Spoon barely heard what he said. Her mind was spinning too fast around one thing. One enormous center of concern that wouldn't let go of her. Mechanically she worked herself through her bedtime routine. Only when she came back into her room her attention snapped back into place.

“Oh, so you did come back after all,” Diamond Tiara greeted her.

“What are you doing here?” Silver Spoon already regretted her words before she had finished them.

With an unmistakable sharpness her friend answered: “Well, I thought, seeing that we have to get up at the same time tomorrow we could finally share your bed. That is, unless you don't want to.”

“No, no, that's great. It's just that, um, you didn't... and... You see, I was simply surprised.”

“I see.” And with that Diamond Tiara climbed into the bed.

Hesitatingly, Silver Spoon followed her. After she had found the most comfortable position she took another look at her friend. She lay on the side, facing away from her.

Silver Spoon turned around again, And after a while of fighting with herself she managed to say: “There is something I wanted to ask you.”

“Then why don't you?” was the mumbled answer.

“Well... I saw you talking to my sister earlier.”

“That's not a question.”

“You know what I want to know. What did you two talk about?”

Silver Spoon heard her friend take a deep breath before she said: “About you. And her.”

“What?”

“You heard me. I tried to find out why she is always treating you so badly. Because, you know, that's something I wanted to do anyway while I had the chance of staying here for some time. See if I could get her to change. And we happened to stumble into each other, so I thought I'd use my chance. But unfortunately, she was anything but willing to give it a chance.”

“Really? What did she say to you?”

Diamond Tiara paused a moment before answering: “Um, I'm not really sure if you really want to hear that.”

“Don't worry. She has said so many things to and about me, this one won't make any difference.”

After another pause Diamond Tiara said: “Yeah, I guess you're right. She said that she would never accept you as her real sister.”

“What?”

“That's not even everything. She also said that you being friends with somepony like Apple Bloom proves that you don't really belong into her family.”

This had never happened before. And Silver Spoon still couldn't believe it had happened at all. For the first time ever, Diamond Tiara's words made no sense to her. She did her best to wrestle this information into her memories, make them fit into the gaps about that conversation she had observed. But her mind valiantly denied any compliance. And, maybe just to irritate her a little bit further, it brought up something else she had heard recently:

Why don't you ask her what we talked about? And then see if it's believable or not.

Her sister's voice still resounding in her head, it took her a few moments to realize Diamond Tiara was talking again:

“Hey, Silver Spoon? Are you okay?”

“No,” she choked out, her throat suddenly terribly dry. “I don't think so.”

“Oh, I knew I shouldn't have told you. I didn't want to upset you.”

Was this just her subconscious now making fun of her or did her friend's concern really sound so unbearably fake? “Well, I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about this right now.”

“I'm afraid you're right. Maybe we should try to get some sleep and see what we can do tomorrow?”

“Yes,” Silver Spoon answered mechanically. “Good night, then.”

“Good night to you too,” Diamond Tiara answered. And then she added: “And remember; whatever happens, I'll be there for you.”

Silently, Silver Spoon wished, no, prayed that at least this had still been the truth.

The next morning, when Rosy woke them up with her best practice of flooding the room with sunlight, the filly felt like she had hardly slept at all, though she couldn't remember waking up during the night. She felt more like her head had just stayed awake on its own, refusing to let the whole conversation with Diamond Tiara go like that.

At least the air of gloom and discomfort she felt following her from the bed to the bath and then to break-fast seemed to pass as simple tiredness. Nopony asked her any question she wouldn't have wanted to answer. Yet the walk to school was one ongoing mockery to her. The sun shining way too brightly, the joyful ponies surrounding her and Diamond Tiara, the birds singing in the trees – it all felt like they were pointing at her, quietly snickering as soon as she had passed by. Even Diamond Tiara, anything but a morning pony, seemed happier than she ought to be.

Cheerilee greeted her as cheerfully as always but was obviously surprised to have another student around for the day. Yet Diamond Tiara didn't miss a beat to explain how she had come back to Ponyville to aid her best friend. It was same story she had told Silver Spoon before, how she had begged her parents for this and even regretted not staying home in the first place. The sincerity she displayed drove a burning needle into Silver Spoon's guts.

And then her teacher started to twist that needle. “Now isn't that great, Silver Spoon? You can call yourself lucky to have such a good friend. And I guess with two friends helping you out, your performance here will improve even faster than before.”

Of course, Cheerilee couldn't have known Silver Spoon already had two friends helping her. The filly had never told her teacher about Twist. Still, she couldn't bring herself to correct her about this. She wasn't even sure if Cheerilee hadn't been right after all.

From where she had taken the strength to form an obviously convincing smile and nod at least once remained a mystery. Nonetheless, she found herself inside the classroom moments later without any other questions asked. After unpacking she saw that Diamond Tiara was sitting at the table next to her. Without thinking twice Silver Spoon said: “That is Apple Bloom's desk.”

Diamond Tiara shrugged. “She's not here yet, is she?”

To her regret, Silver Spoon couldn't deny that fact. Somepony really ought to invent a method to send letters instantaneously. Or maybe some portable telephone, that would be even better. But since both ideas were nothing but that, there was no way for Silver Spoon to let Apple Bloom know how much she would have given to have her friend by her side right now.

During the lesson she had the perfect excuse not to talk to Diamond Tiara. Paying attention, taking notes and answering questions had never been more welcome to her than today. For once, it was recess she didn't look forward to. That would be when all the excuses were over and any pretense of still being sleepy would have to go.

But as the moment came, it was Cheerilee who came to her rescue. Their teacher stopped them on their way to the door. “Diamond Tiara? Could you please stay here for a moment? I need to talk to you.”

“What?” the addressed filly replied. “Why?”

“We'll talk about that in private. Silver Spoon, would you please leave us alone?”

She did, with pleasure. Though she still was curious. What did Cheerilee have to talk about with Diamond Tiara? She hadn't even had a chance to do something wrong. However, Silver Spoon took her now usual place on the swing, doing her best to ignore Snips and Snails and waited for Diamond Tiara to come outside as well. But in the end, to Silver Spoon's surprise, recess passed and she still hadn't shown up.

When Silver Spoon returned into the school house she found Diamond Tiara sitting at her own desk, throwing a short, piercing glare at her. Then she looked back down, a deep frown carved into her face.

Silver Spoon tried to read anything from Cheerilee's expression but all she could make out was that her cheerfulness felt a bit forced when she greeted her and the two colts back inside.

The next lesson felt longer than the one before. As much as Silver Spoon wanted to just focus on her teacher, she caught herself again and again peeking over to the filly now sitting two seats away from her with an unchanging expression. Engulfed in an aura of defiance and silent anger, Diamond Tiara kept her gaze locked onto the desk top in front of her. When this lesson came to its end she followed the other foals outside in the same mood.

Silver Spoon didn't dare coming closer to her than necessary. It wasn't often she saw Diamond Tiara like this but she knew well enough that distance was the only thing that helped in these cases. Which unfortunately meant she couldn't sit on the swing this time, since Diamond Tiara headed there, taking seat upon it like it was a throne and kept glaring at the ground.

Still wondering what might have happened between her and Cheerilee, Silver Spoon heard a voice from behind her:

“Boy, what's up with her?”

She didn't need to turn around to know who it was. “Hello, Apple Bloom. I have no idea.”

“So, do ya' think it's safe talkin' to her now?”

“Definitely not.”

“Do ya' think she still remembers her promise?”

“I'd like to think so. She has never broken...”

At that moment, Diamond Tiara looked up, all her anger fixed on Apple Bloom. She slid from the swing. With quick steps she moved towards the stunned fillies. When she stood face to face with Apple Bloom, she hissed: “Get. Away. From her.”

But the red maned filly stood her ground. “Why should Ah'?”

“Because I want my friend back.” Diamond Tiara voice rose with every word she said. “I don't know what you did to her, but she is not herself. Undo whatever it was!”

“But Ah' didn't-” Apple Bloom started.

“Yes, she did,” Silver Spoon cut her off. “And I like how I am now. How many times do I have to tell you?”

The brief moment of sternness went from Silver Spoon's face as soon as Diamond Tiara turned towards her. All the boiling anger thrown at Apple Bloom was gone. Silver Spoon could clearly see a thin, wet stream crawl down Diamond Tiara's cheeks.

“Please, Silvy, you can't mean that.”

Silver Spoon swallowed hard. She wasn't used to hear Di's voice shaking like that. This wasn't to get that new dress from her daddy. Diamond Tiara was honestly pleading with her. But this was the one wish she couldn't allow herself to grant her friend.

Silver Spoon closed her eyes. “I do mean it.”

She could hear Diamond Tiara doing her best to hold her sobs. Then her friend cried: “I hate you! Both of you!”

Even before she had her eyes open again Silver Spoon knew Diamond Tiara was running away.

Author's Note:

First of all, I'd like to thank docontra for his help with this chapter :).

Other than that, there isn't really much more to say for me except that I hope you enjoyed this one and it was worth the wait.