• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 3,286 Views, 82 Comments

Raptor - Dihinner



five of the most dangerous predators manage to find themselves in a land ruled by ponies

  • ...
3
 82
 3,286

Frost Bitten

The loud chirping of birds caused an odd looking bird with white feathers to stir slightly. White tip slowly opened her eyes and was greeted by a small Chickadee. White tip looked the little bird curiously; something about it reminded it of herself. She just couldn’t figure out what.

The soft crunch of footsteps on snow alerted White tip of someone else’s presence. White tip curled her tail in slightly, making her slightly more spherical when she heard the footsteps move onto stone.

There was a sigh from her left, “You’re surprisingly lucky.”

White tip’s eyes darted around her, only to the clawed feet of whoever was speaking with her.

“Everyone said you were dead. But, I knew you weren’t. You just don’t go and die in the cold after you’ve survived your pack being killed twice. You just can’t do that.”

The being chuckled softly, “I was close to giving up myself, but then I remembered something important.”

“You’re a Raptor.”

The sounds of birds stopped. The frigid forest became utterly silent, besides the occasional shriek from Frost, Pounce or Pod.

White tip raised her head to look at Red Claw. Despite not being missing for very long, White tip had mostly forgotten what Red Claw had looked like. She was bigger than her, but still quite a bit smaller than Pounce and nearly miniscule compared to Frost. White tip’s eyes met her fellow pack members.

“Do you know what that word means?” asked White tip quietly.

Red Claw made a chirping sound, which was the equivalent to a nod, “Thief, egg stealer and my personal favorite, bird of prey.”

White tip got off of the cool cave floor and stared at her North American cousin. She stared at Red Claw, a faint glow of anger in her eyes.

“…Have you ever had a clutch of eggs before?” asked White tip finally.

Red claw shrugged, “This is my third Cold, so no. No eggs and definitely no mate for me.”

White tip sighed, “My last pack was my first clutch. They died in a falling dune, just like my last one. They were only hatchlings then.”

Red Claw nodded slowly. Eggs were a rather large part of their diet if there wasn’t any prey around. Of course, since all the prey that they had discovered here had been mammalian, there were no eggs to be found. Well, at least not any that would be large enough to be considered a meal.

The quiet of the forest engulfed the cave, making the sounds of the other predators in the distance echo like gunshots. Suddenly, there was a sharp, high pitched sound, then silence. Red Claw glanced at White tip. Even though they were originally thousands of miles apart, every member of the Dromaeosaur family knew what that sound meant.

It was the sound of them being challenged for territory.

*********************************************************************************

Frost’s eyes flickered between the pack of strange predators before Pod, Pounce and himself. He slowly waked up to what appeared to be the leader of the opposing predators. He rose up to his full height and glared down upon the opposing hunter.

Unbeknownst to Frost, Pounce and Pod, the creatures they were facing was none other than a pack of Timberwolves. They had never faced anything like them, as Late Cretaceous Earth lacked large quadruped carnivores, especially ones that were made from wood.

Not too many days before Frost had recovered White tip, Frost had claimed the title of Alpha of the pack of four, now five raptors. He was unopposed, as the next raptor that would have tried to run that position was half his height. That didn’t faze Pounce the slightest, she knew Frost knew what he was doing. His massive height was an added bonus, as he kept larger, rival predators away as well. None of the larger predators they had encountered gave them much trouble, none except for the Timberwolves.

Frost stepped forwards, challenging the rival alpha. Pounce and Pod watched one of the Timberwolves, a larger one with a scar across its left eye walk up to face Frost. The two stared at each other, the glowing green eyes of the Timberwolf staring about four feet up at the midnight blue eyes of the Utahraptor.

All of a sudden, like an invisible switch was thrown, the two began to fight. Frost charged the wolf as the wooden predator made a jump that should be impossible for something of that body type at Frost. The Timberwolf managed to bite Frost’s right forearm, which caused him to shriek in pain and bite at the wolf’s neck.

There was a sickening crunch as Frost managed to crush the outer layer of bark on the Timberwolf’s neck (and breaking some of his weaker teeth in the process) and nearly tore his arm off as he ripped the Timberwolf away from his arm and flung it into the snow. The wooden wolf crashed into the ground, bouncing off of it twice, and rolled in an attempt to shake off the injuries it contacted during the fall.

Meanwhile Frost paused for a moment to look at his injured arm. Blood was flowing like a stream from the bite, which made Frost turn his head back to the Timberwolf, who was standing on it wooden paws again, preparing another charge when the wolf suddenly froze and began to whimper softly.

Frost tilted his head in confusion and turned back to Pounce and Pod, who also had looks of confusion. Then the wolves began to whine loudly, as if scared for some reason.

Something isn’t right,’ thought Frost, ‘They can sense something coming, but what? And why can’t I ether?

Frost turned back to the wolves, who his astonishment, had completely vanished. Frost grimaced in the way only an Utahraptor could and crouched down like he was hunting something. He noticed that Pounce and Pod had walked closer and had taken similar hunting stances.

A branch snapped nearby, causing Pod to jump slightly. If the situation wasn’t so serious Pounce probably would have snickered at Pod. But, it’s essential that predators make absolutely no sounds when unseen danger could be around.

The wind slowly began to pick up, making Frost hiss quietly in pain where the wolf bit him. Another branch snapped, this time even closer than the last one. Frost suddenly tuned his head to the left and his eyes widened in shock and terror.

Standing there, in all of its three meters tall and six ton glory, was a Tarbosaurus Bataar. The Tyranosaurid was covered from the back of its head down in black and purple feathers that reached all the way to the tip of its tail. It’s giant, menacing eyes sent chills down the three raptor’s spines.

How they had managed to go this long without encountering it, they may never know. All they knew now was that they had to get the hell out of there.

“W-what do we do?” asked Pod. He’d never seen a predator as large as a Tarbosaurus before, and frankly, he never wanted to.

Frost sized the predator up for a moment, before responding.

“Run like hell.”

The mighty predator bellowed a horrible, alien sound throughout the frozen forest and charged after the three retreating raptors. The beast chased after them until the three were swallowed by a maze of large, frozen roots and tunnels that Frost and Pounce could barely fit in. the beast roared again, making snow fall off branches and striking terror in all of the nearby hibernating animals awakened by the bellow.

There was a new king of the Everfree.

Author's Note:

It's been a looooong time.

How have you been?

anyway, i'm back (for now) and to celebrate, I bring forth a new chapter of Raptor.

there's good news, and bad news.

the bad news is that no ponies in this chapter, just raptors, wolves and a new addition to the food chain.

the good news is that the next chapter will take place at the same time, but from the ponies perspective (also Franks)

it's nice to be back

-Dihinner

P.S. The new guy's (or girl's) name is Apex

Comments ( 28 )

size comparison, Apex to person.

check out my latest blog thingy for Frost's, Pounce's and White tip's heights.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Tarbosaurusscale.png

You do realize that Tyrannosaurid did not have any feathers. It have been scientifically proven that they didn't in fact have any feathers at all as first thought.

2441828
hush, and just roll with it

2441828
really? when did this happen?

2441922It's been that for a while you know. Scientist first thought that large dinosaurs like Tarbosaurus had feathers but it was later proven that only the small ones had evolved feathers, like the raptors.

2441964 Yutyrannus was a little smaller than tarbosaurus but had feathers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutyrannus

I loved the chapter, but I do have one teeny tiny dumb little nitpick,

White tip curled her tail in slightly, making her slightly more spherical when she heard the footsteps move onto stone.

Raptors had taught muscles in their tails that held their tail-bones out totally straight, this helped their balance, so she shouldn't be able to curl her tail, even a little. Sorry!

2443821 ...Did I say something offensive, or are you being... I don't know. Sorry if I offended you,

2443826
no, I just didn't know that

my bad

2443531Okay you are correct there but it was its own bread of tyrannosauroid. Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus has dock been proved that the had't had the time to evolve feathers yet. if time had given them a couple of more million years they had probably evolved feathers, I give you that, but they did't had the time before they were wiped out. they even mention it on Wikipedia as well. they found feathers with this one but they have not found any feathers together with either a Tarbosaurus or a T.Rex. And this one is older so shouldn't they had found any feathers together with the two others then. they have found a couple of intact skeletons from both bu no evidence for any feathers from either.

2444829

*waves hand*

their for the winter

2444991They din't even have winter back then! only at the what was going to be the north and south pole and even then it wasn't even as close to cold as it is to day. And there is no way in hell the Tarbosaurus evolve that fast. Don't argue with me, I'm a expert when it comes to Tyrannosaurids. All I'm saying is that some species of Tyrannosaurids might have had feathers like the Yutyrannus but a Tarbosaurus was in a to hot of a climate to even need feathers and waht good use would they even be. small ones can have use of feathers but not big ones like Tarbosaurus.
Look, I don't dislike you story or anything. I love it, I just want you to have some correct information about a cool breed of Dinosaurs. just change that thing about it having feathers and we can forget that this conversation ever occurred.

oh and one more thing. Why did you even chose Tarbosaurus. why not Tyrannosaurus, then you could have a fight between a dragon and it because of its size.

2446075
t-rex is overused and just last year I saw something that had both t-rex and Tarbosaurus with feathers. it's dated to 2012 so either the info's wrong or it changed.

2444829 Oh, ok. I also just remembered them finding a skin impression of t. rex tail that didn't show any feathers, well it's probably safe to say that t.rex likely didn't have feathers (although iv'e always enjoyed the idea of feathery 'mane' on one)

2447775Well it was changed recently and you got a point. the T Rex is overused.

guys we can throw big words at each other or we can enjoy the story. I vote we move on to throwing hand grenades :pinkiehappy:

I have been waiting for this :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: This makes me so happy :heart::heart:

So far you've brought only carnivores to Equestria, how about bringing small/medium/large hervibores? A pachycephalosaurus? An ankylosaurid perhaps? I'm favouring the ''potentially agressive and/or with defensive measures'' hervibores, it could be fun! Like...Fluttershy encountering an old Torosaurus eating herbs in the forest, she thinks it could be a nice creature since it's ovbiously hervibore, then as she approaches it she gets attacked or something.

Maybe even bringing in some sauropods for the ''awe'' effect, those thins were huge! After the winter maybe, don't know if they could survive it.

2642722

hmm, maybe.

I honestly just came up with the tarbosaurus on the spot when I remembered I needed a major opposing force. of course, the tarbosaurus has a reason for keeping itself hidden for so long.


as for herbivores, maybe some of the mid sized cretaceous ones, not too sure about which ones though

2645483

the Utah raptor is around six and a half feet and applejack is around three ish

them ponies are dwarves

2645489 "The largest described U. ostrommaysorum specimens are estimated to have reached up to 7 m (23 ft) long and somewhat less than 500 kg (1,100 lb) in weight, comparable to a grizzly bear in size.[1][3] Some undescribed specimens in the BYU collections may have reached up to 11 m (36 ft) long, though these await more detailed study." from: wikipedia. Everwinter was right. but its whatever, we still get the fact that AJ is tiny compared to a Utah raptor.

2718175 That something here is incredibly strange(apart from the sentient Dinosaurs and magical ponies)...............................................never mind. I'll just say magic.:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Love this story, you keep it up.

Really awesome story, I hope it isn't dead

Aww,i am really dissapointed that this is cancelled,this could of had so much potential!it is so sad that you stopped this,i HOPE that you will update this and continue this,i HOPE!

Waaa, I want more storyyyy

Login or register to comment