• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 3,290 Views, 82 Comments

Raptor - Dihinner



five of the most dangerous predators manage to find themselves in a land ruled by ponies

  • ...
3
 82
 3,290

Dead of Winter part 2

To say Fluttershy was uneasy was an understatement. To say she was absolutely terrified would be a more accurate guess. About an hour ago, she saw one of the monsters collapse into the snow with multiple cuts, minor hypothermia and (from what she can see) mild starvation. Judging from what Applejack said about the size two monsters that attacked her and the orange one she encountered earlier, this was by far the smallest, only about three feet tall. But that wasn’t the thing that worried her, no,

It was that she had an active carnivore in her house with multiple small, helpless animals that the monster could no doubt eat in a minute. Thankfully, the orange monster seamed to only have eaten two birds and injured a beaver. All of the other animals seemed alright, save for the younger ones who were present during the attack.

Anyway, the white feathered monster lay shivering violently on a makeshift bed on the floor with multiple blankets on it. Occasionally it lashed t with one of its injured legs, making it screech and quickly withdraw it back under the blanket. After a while, the monster stopped shivering and Fluttershy got her first good look at it. It was surprisingly small for a carnivore, and from the way it had moved earlier, it appeared to be a young adult.

Although she might have second thoughts about this later, Fluttershy did admit that it looked relative harmless as it slept under the blankets. Yawning, Fluttershy decided that she would get to bed too, but not after she put a muzzle around the monster’s snout to make sure it didn’t eat anything if it woke up before her. After the muzzle was placed, Fluttershy went upstairs to her bed, hoping that she could learn more about the monster in the morning.

*************************************************************

It was the smell of rotting flesh that awoke Pod in the dark forest cave. He stretched out his tired forearms and walked out of the cave. Outside he saw Frost and Pounce eating a bear. Pod smiled as he approached them.

“I see you found a decent meal,” said Pod as he looked around the carcass.

Frost glanced at him and resumed eating. Pounce moved her head out of the bear’s stomach region with a small bit of flesh sticking out of her blood stained mouth, “don’t just assume that you’re going to be able to get some of it. We caught it; go find your own food.”

Pod rolled his eyes and walked into the frozen trees. He spotted some raccoons and another one of those weird bat chicken things. The strange thing about the bat chickens were, they kept staring at him, as if they were trying to intimidate him. ‘Oh well, they just leave themselves open for attack,’ thought Pod as he ducked under a low branch of a tree. After a while, his thought’s drifted to White tip. ‘She’s probably dead, but, we’ll never know until we find her body.’ After coming to that conclusion, Pod turned the other way and walked back towards the cave…

******************************************************************

White tip was not amused.

She had awoken this morning in the yellow mammal’s cave with something strapped around her snout, preventing her from eating and some white bandages around her legs that were stained with her blood. She glared at her captor as she fluttered around feeding all the small prey.

“So, what are you supposed to be?”

White tip spun around and stared at a nearby bird that landed on the table behind her. She made a muffled sound, which the bird couldn’t understand.

“Ah, I assume you can understand me?”

White tip reluctantly nodded and attempted to clean the feathers on her arm, which wasn’t possible with the muzzle.

“Well, as I see you can’t speak, what are you here for? Injury or just hanging around for the free food?” asked the bird.

White tip rolled her eyes and started to pull the muzzle off her snout. To her surprise, it actually started to slide off when the yellow mammal noticed.

“Oh, Mr. Bird were you speaking with the monster?” asked the yellow mammal.

White tip slowly turned to see the yellow mammal. Somehow, it had just spoken the language of Dinosaura, abet with a heavy mammalian accent but it was the same language none the less. White tip moved her claws again to see if the yellow mammal understood.

Unfortunately, the yellow mammal started to speak in mammalian again, much to White tips annoyance, as she turned away and started to try and pull off the muzzle again. Oddly, the yellow mammal spoke in a quiet voice to White tip in an attempt to get her to stop pulling off the muzzle. Just as White tip pulled off the muzzle, she snarled at her success. She confidently turned to the yellow mammal that captured her and opened her jaws, hungry for food.

And then, blinding, searing pain waved through White tip’s eyes as they looked into the yellow mammals. She screeched in surprise and pain as she desperately tried to look away. The mammal spoke again, this time her words utterly clear.

“No! Bad monster! You will not eat any of these animals!” it said sternly.

White tip continued to screech in pain, but uttered a response, “fine! Sorry, just, make the pain stop!” when White tip managed to finally stop the pain, she collapsed to the wooden floor in pained, shuddering gasps.
The yellow mammal looked concerned, like that wasn’t supposed to happen. White tip tried to drag herself across the floor in a weak escape attempt. The attempt fell short as White tip started to lose consciousness about two feet from her starting point. Discouraged, White tip stopped to regain her senses and let the pain subside before another attempt. The yellow mammal looked at her curiously as White tip attempted to swipe at it with her claws.

The mammal however, continued to look and even dared to walk closer. White tip turned her gaze back to the bird, who shrugged.

“I’ve never seen the look do that. Must be bad luck,” he said.

“Bad luck is all I ever have,” muttered White tip.

The bird looked at her, “ah, so you can speak. So, repeating my question from earlier, what exactly are you?”

“Velociraptor,” said White tip as she tried to get up, making sure that the yellow mammal could tell that she wasn’t going to attack.

“Velociraptor, huh? Hmm, can’t say I’ve ever heard of one of those. Where do you normally live? Those feathers don’t seem like their meant for cold winters like this.”

“I used to live in a desert,” said White tip, “as of yesterday I now live in that forest with my new pack. My old one was killed in a falling dune.”

The bird nodded, “I see… my old flock migrated without me so I’m staying for the winter. I can see you attempted something similar, yes?” he said, motioning to White tip’s bandages.

White tip stretched slightly and sat down on the floor, “I saw a light. The light led me to here. I’m not sure if it saved my life or doomed it.”

The bird chuckled, “my friend, it definitely saved your life. Fluttershy knows all about nearly every animal and is always kind enough to help them. But, one thing you must never do it threaten another animal, as you learned mere moments ago.”

White tip turned and watched Fluttershy, who had returned to caring for the other animals. Seeing her chance, White tip slowly got to her feet and crept slowly across the floor to escape. After three tense minutes of walking slowly and watching for Fluttershy, White tip stopped at the door, which was closed. The handle of the door was, unfortunately, a pull door. White tip tried to open it; all of her attempts were met with failure, until she noticed a window nearby. Eyeing it, White tip crept towards the window and peered out it.

Outside there was an endless ocean of snow. White tip calculated her chances of surviving out there without a pack, which were far too low to even bother to make an attempt. White tip sighed and walked back over to the bird, not even trying to be quiet, and sat back down.

“Ah, the door, the obstacle that far too few have managed to get past,” said the bird. He noticed White tip closing her eyes and sighing, “don’t worry, Raptor, you’ll be outta here as soon as the snow melts and I bet you’re new pack will be overjoyed to see that you’re alive.”

White tip made a hacking sound that the bird soon realised was a sarcastic laugh, “overjoyed? They’ll be pissed because they’ll have one more mouth to feed. If you haven’t noticed, I’m a carnivore. And everything in this room is food just begging to be eaten. You’re lucky bird, if Fluttershy didn’t have here death glare, you’d be dead faster than you’d be able to take your next breath.”

Author's Note:

just so you know, the birds name is Frank.

just felt like pointing that out