• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 3,290 Views, 82 Comments

Raptor - Dihinner



five of the most dangerous predators manage to find themselves in a land ruled by ponies

  • ...
3
 82
 3,290

Dead of Winter part 1

White tip patently waited for the Pyroraptor’s return. The Dromaeosaur, named Red tooth, had gone hunting for food. Nothing in the forest was especially dangerous; in fact, most of them were quite easy to trick. White tip found that confusing, back in the desert, she would have never have thought of forming a pack with for different species, let alone some she just met. But something in her mind told her it was the right thing to do.

Even since the headache she had when she awoke in the forest, her intelligence rose drastically. Before she had the intelligence of a possum at best, now she was at least as smart as seven year old filly.

Unbeknownst to her, the strange properties of Equestria had somehow altered her mind, making it more suitable to survive. That coupled with the fact that she was among the smartest of all the creatures on earth sixty five million years ago gave her and the other raptors a decent advantage against any potential predator in the area.

A cold gust of wind blew past White tip, causing her to shiver. ‘It was never this cold in the desert…’ she thought as she tried to find Red before nightfall. The clouds overhead were dark and gloomy, usually a sign for rain. White tip continued to search for Red Claw as she stumbled into Pod along with the Utahraptor and the Deinoychus.

“So, you wanted to see us?” asked the Utahraptor.

The Deinoychus glanced at the two before sniffing around a hole in the ground. It smelled like the mammals back in the cold forest. If the mammals were smart, they would have gotten supplies for the approaching winter. If not, they should be leaving soon to get them. All she had to do was wait the out. While she was doing this, she heard the Pyroraptor, Utahraptor, and the young Velociraptor talking about making a pack.

The idea generally uninterested her, but if she wanted a decent meal before the first snow, which she assumed may be just days away, she needed to be in a pack. The Deinoychus growled slightly as she turned away from the mammal nest. The other predators were staring at her; she assumed they had asked her to join the pack. Sighing heavily, she answered.

“I’m in.”

*****************************************************************

The steady beeps from the hospital were starting to get on Applejack’s nerves. The attack from earlier had left her with multiple cuts, a broken leg and some minor organ damage. The doctors assumed that whatever did this weren’t trying to kill her, only injure to get later. Applejack shivered whenever she had to re tell what the monster looked like.

Fluttershy and Rainbow dash seemed to be the most interested, Fluttershy because it appeared to be a new animal and Rainbow dash because a smaller orange one attacked Fluttershy earlier. Fluttershy was amazed to learn that there was not just one, but two more of these strange monsters. It also worried her that the two that attacked her were much bigger based on Applejack’s description of them.

It was disturbing how close the monsters wee to the farm, only about three minutes away. If the monsters decided to return to the farm again… ‘No, Big Macintosh will keep Applebloom safe,’ Applejack reassured herself. ‘After all, there are only three and one of them is a coward.’ She was certain that he brother could handle them if they returned.

Applejack looked out of the hospital window, a small flurry of snowflakes were gently falling from the sky and landed softly on the ground…

*****************************************************************************

“What did you call this?” asked White tip, shivering.

“It’s called snow,” replied the Pyroraptor, whose name she learned was Pod.

They had found Red claw shortly after the Deinoychus, named Pounce, had agreed to join their pack. The Utahraptor, who claims his name, is Frost, had said that the winter had stated and they should find a cave or something to stay warm during the winter.

Now, White tip was from the desert, which it rained once or twice a year, which made snow impossible. The other four raptors have had to deal with snow most of their lives and occasionally thought if White tip was going to survive the winter. Only Red claw thought she was going to survive. Pounce, Pod and Frost however, were just waiting for it to happen to get it over with.

Later that night the snow had really started to come down. Even Frost and Pounce, who lived in cold areas all throughout the year, instead of going south like Pod and Red claw, were shivering. The cold was relentless as they hunted for something, preferably a large mammal of some sort, like a deer.

“I can’t even see my claws right in front of my face,” grumbled Pounce as she walked cautiously through the snow with Pod.

“It’s not so bad,” replied Pod as he sneezed, causing Pounce to laugh at him.

“Yeah? Well, maybe if you, I don’t know, had camouflage instead of those bright red feathers then maybe you would hunt better.”

Pod glanced at her, “oh, you can hunt better than me even though you can’t see your claws that are right in front of your face. Camouflage only gets you so far against bigger prey. I use intimidation.”

Pod could tell that Pounce was snickering and saying “yeah, intimidating lizards.”

“Shut up.”

**********************************************************************

A squirrel scampered across the ground, avoiding the patches of snow that were forming. The squirrel suddenly stopped, as if a brick wall was in front of it. The rodent had a sudden feeling of dead, like something was going to-.

A loud crack echoed throughout the small open area as Frost tore the skull off of the dead squirrel. The meal was pitifully small for the six foot carnivore, but it was the best he could find. Until he found a deer, rodents were the next best thing.

But what about the fruit mammal?’ thought Frost, ‘I’d have been able to get a decent meal out of that. If only Pod hadn’t interrupted me,’ he snapped the squirrel’s rib cage with his foot. Being robbed of a decent meal was annoying, having to be in the same pack of the one who caused it was infuriating.

When the winter’s over, I’m going to snap that red feathered freak’s neck,’ thought Frost as he ate the final remains of the unlucky rodent.

Still hungry, Frost continued to hunt through the forest, which slowly became a snowy wasteland. By the time he figured he’d survive the night, he called out to the other raptors, calling them to the area he was in.

One by one the other raptors called back in response, the first being Pounce and the last being White tip. Eventually all of the raptors met back in the clearing where they first awoke about twenty hours ago. Almost immediately, the absence of White tip was noticed.

“Where do you think she is?” asked Red claw.

Pounce yawned, “Probably dead.” Just then, White tip’s call drifted through the wind. “Or just lost, either way, she’s not going to survive the night.”

Pod sighed, an interesting sound to anything but a fellow raptor, “as grim as it may be, I agree with Pounce, there is no way White tip is going to survive until sunrise.”

Red claw chose to remain silent, over the past few hours hunting in the forest with White tip; she had learnt that she was extremely effective at hunting the smaller prey, like rats, squirrels and those strange bat chicken things.

“If the desert crawler is dead, so be it. I am not going out to find her in this storm,” said Frost as he walked into a nearby cave. The others glanced at each other and followed their unofficial pack leader into the cave.


Meanwhile, White tip called out into the frozen forest. If under better circumstances, she’d call the icy forest beautiful.

But it’s hard to call you grave pretty when you’re all alone with no food in sight.

Still, White tip called out to the other raptors. After a while of no one responding, she gave up and searched for shelter. She silently walked through the cold forest, her breath freezing in the cool winter night. She was shivering violently, being a native to a desert, her feathers were more suited to cool the Velociraptor down, not keep her warm.

After about a half hour of wandering, she saw lights through the frozen trees. ‘Light means warmth. Warmth means life. Life means food,’ she thought as she ran through the forest towards the almost heavenly light.

Low hanging branches snapped off the tree as White tip crashed through them in a desperate attempt to get to the light. Her feathers were covered with her own blood as she crashed through the last few trees and stopped dead in her tracks.

Not far away, a large mammal, fitting the description that Pod gave her about the one he encountered when he awoke, stood near the entrance to her wooden cave, calling out to something in the mammalian language, which none of the raptors could understand.

White tip became extremely cautious. Pod was bigger than her, and he said the mammal was big, White tip stared at the large yellow mammal as she noticed that her legs were giving way. She stopped staring at the yellow mammal and glanced at her legs, which were soaked in blood and snow. White tip took a surprised step back, causing intense pain the shoot throughout her body, causing her to snarl in surprise.

The yellow mammal heard the snarl and turned to White tip. It made and “eep!” as it backed away into its cave. White tip tried to take a step forwards but collapsed into the snow from the pain in her legs and the bitter cold. The last thing she saw before losing consciousness was the yellow mammal rushing towards her…

Author's Note:

hi, well, i hope this isn't too rushed this time. if it is then maybe it's just my writing style? i'm not too sure my self so, yeah.

it appiers that the world has not ended (yay) and to celebrate i have another chapter for you.

don't expect these all that often because i have two other stories i'm working on and another on pause.

if you like Left 4 Dead, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask or Bionicle, i suggest you check them out.

oh and P.S. i should have more chapters out for 2 weeks because of the winter break.

HAPPI HOLLE DAIS