• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 3,288 Views, 82 Comments

Raptor - Dihinner



five of the most dangerous predators manage to find themselves in a land ruled by ponies

  • ...
3
 82
 3,288

Making a Pack

Pod took a cautious step back. The scream from Fluttershy was breaking his eardrums. With an angry snarl and a quick swipe at Fluttershy’s face, Pod bolted into the forest for cover. Out of the corner of his eye he saw two other shapes, one blue and the other white, running towards the yellow creature.

It was unusual for Pod to give up potential prey that easily. But, this was not his usual prey. For all he knew, these… things could tear him apart, and that was the last thing he wanted right now. He ran into the clearing he found the other raptors in. from what he knew, they were anywhere but home. To his surprise, the Velociraptor and Dromaeosaur seemed to have formed a small pack, which (now that pod thought about it) was the best course of action. The two other raptors were speaking in the language of Dinosaura, a language that has literally been lost in time.

“…this forest is strange,” said the Velociraptor.

The Dromaeosaur nodded, “only large mammals, nothing else.”

The two stopped when they heard Pod’s approach. They noticed that he had the same look in his eye as they did. Yes, Pod had the same strange spark that dignified them from the rest of the animals in the forest, the spark of intelligence.

“What do you want?” growled the Velociraptor.

“Me? I just want food. And I can’t get food without a proper pack,” replied Pod.

The Dromaeosaurs eyed Pod suspiciously, “if you are suggesting forming a pack, you should go find the other two. I’ve met them before this, if their smart, they will follow you.”

To any other creature that wasn’t from their time, they could only hear strange bird calls and reptile like hisses. Anypony in the forest at the time that heard the unnerving calls immediately left the forest with all haste.

Pod’s eyes flickered around the small clearing, and then agreed to find the other missing raptors before nightfall and set out into the strange new world.

***************************************************************************

A misty rain had enveloped Sweet Apple Acres along with the feeling of unease. Applejack looked into the orchard of trees, knowing that something was out there, something big.
It’s nothing. So what if Winona was acting a bit antsy? It’s just the rain,' thought Applejack, trying to keep out thoughts on what might be out there. To her right, she heard a strange, distorted bird call along with a snarl from up ahead.

Applejack tried to reaming calm, whatever it was, she could handle it. Right? After stopping to check her progress, she glanced to her right to see if she could see the bird that made the sound.

Instead of a bird, she saw two reptilian eyes staring back at her with bloody claws and ready to pounce.

Instinctively, Applejack ran for her life. She ran through the orchard of trees in an attempt to escape whatever that thing was. Suddenly, two thin grey twee trunks appeared in front of her. She tried to stop but crashed into them. She quickly got back to her hooves and looked to see what she had crashed into. Her eyes bulged when she saw what it was. The smell of rotten flesh filled her nose.

She was staring into the gaping jaws of a hungry Utahraptor.

***************************************************************

Rarity had just finished putting the bandages on Fluttershy. According to her, some sort of monster had broken into her home and killed a lot of the animals she was caring for there. The amounts of casualties were currently unknown. Rainbow dash claimed to have seen the monster fleeing into the forest when she arrived.

“So Fluttershy,” started Rainbow dash, “did you see what the thing looked like?”

Fluttershy looked at her with teary eyes and nodded. Rainbow dash sighed; many of Fluttershy’s animals were still missing, even though they found no other signs of an attack besides the occasional footprint or blood stain.

“Well… what did It look like?” asked Rainbow dash impatiently.

“If um, looked kind of like a bird and a reptile but with really sharp teeth and claws. Its feathers were an orangey red,” said Fluttershy, whose voice, was muffled through the bandages.

“Well whatever it was I’m sure it’s gone now,” assured Rarity.

“Yes, but for how long? Lots of predators come back to feed…” Fluttershy stopped herself mid-sentence, her eyes fearful of another encounter with the mystery animal.

“Yeah? Well, it’ going to have to deal with me first!” said Rainbow dash as she flew off to go find the monster.

Rarity and Fluttershy saw rainbow dash fly over the forest.

“Do you think she’ll be alright?” asked Rarity.

Fluttershy nodded, “I don’t think it could fly. If she stays high up, I’m sure it can’t reach her.”

“Even still…”

****************************************************************************

Applejack had certainly tried. The smaller of the two monsters was dragging her away by pulling her back right leg in its mouth. Applejack was in the peculiar state between consciousness and unconsciousness. Just aware enough to know that she was being pulled along the muddy ground.

The fight was short and unfair. First, one of the two monsters was about twice the size she was and two, she had no idea what these things were of how to fight them. Her eyes shifted slowly to see her attackers. One of them had orange feathers with a green stripe pattern is its back. The other’s feathers were a deep black, with some grey at its feet. Both were making bird noises, which Applejack assumed was their method of speaking, until another, smaller creature with burnt orange feathers approached the two.

“You two, leave the mammal and return to the forest,” said Pod in the method of bird calls.

“Why? It’s our kill, and we’re not giving it to you, so run along little one and leave the hunting for real predators,” said the Deinoychus.

Pod glared at the two, “I don’t want the stupid mammal, and I just need you two to be at the clearing. I spoke with the two others and we need your help to form a pack.”

The Utahraptor snorted, “Yeah? And why is that?”

“Strength in numbers. I’m sure you’ve hunted things three times your size with a pack. Well, although there isn’t anything that big here, I have seen these mammals do more than any plant eater than I’ve ever seen,” said Pod.

“What are you implying, shorty?” growled the Deinoychus, looming menacingly over Pod.

“These aren’t the stupid plant eaters we hunted. These things have caves with miniature suns and more,” replied Pod, “I don’t want to be killed by a mammal, so it’s best if we stay together for the time being.”

The two North American’s looked at their English cousin. “Fine, we’ll join your little pack, but, I eat first,” said the Utahraptor as he and the Deinoychus ran off into the forest passed the strange red fruit trees.

Pod looked at the fruit and then back to the orange mammal lying on the ground. The two‘s eyes met briefly, Pod and Applejack both took a mental note at the intelligence they could see in each other’s eyes. After growling slightly, Pod took off in the direction of the other two raptors.

It was almost ten minutes later until somepony found applejack and rushed her to the hospital for the bleeding and the claw marks. When one of her friends, Rainbow dash asked what did this, she said three things.

“big feathery monsters.”

Author's Note:

oh update day, oh update day,

why must you be so ra-re?

p.s. damn, people seemed to like chapter one so, here's chapter 2