• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 1,876 Views, 79 Comments

P.A.R.T. - Angels



In order to defeat animated foes, a human must take on an ultimate power.

  • ...
6
 79
 1,876

Study Hall

"Knock-Knock!"

---------

'Get down! Hide!' Patrick ducked back inside, closing the door behind him.

'Tom. Time out. I need answers.' He sat down at one of the round tables, away from the windows.

'*sigh*... Alright. I may not be able to give every answer, but I can try.'

'I understand I was chosen randomly, and that earth is under attack from that thing, and that I am supposed to fight him with this device. I understand it perfectly, and I'm not completely freaking out. My mind is very clear and rational. Most people would be curled up in the corner, crying. Why am I not insane?'

'Having the P.A.R.T. has its share of benefits. Mostly little things, increased senses, longer endurance, better metabolism, stuff like that. Among these is mental strength. Back in the alley, when you were grabbed, your mind would have blanked out. The P.A.R.T. kept you thinking.'

Patrick mulled this over. 'Thats handy. What other 'perks' should I expect?'

'Hmmm...how are your reflexes?'

'Average. Why?'

'Look left.'

Patrick turned his head in time to see the man from the elevator trip, sending his briefcase flying. Automatically, Patrick put out his hand, catching not only the case, but turning it to catch the escaped papers inside. He spun, using his left hand to save the man from a close view of the floor.

"Th-thank you! That was incredible!" The man was having a hard time processing what had just happened.

"Here." Patrick held out his case.

"Oh! Thank you! I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and tripped over that rouge chair...But that was astounding! I'd say it was impossible if I hadn't just witnessed it!"

"No problem."

"Thank you again!" The middle aged man walked on, returning to the elevator. Patrick sat back down.

'I agree. That was impossible.'

Tom chuckled inside Patrick's mind. 'It would have been, two days ago. But anyway, I presume you have more questions?'

'Yes. How do I use the P.A.R.T.?'

'Hold on, I have to tell HQ that we have finally discovered the vaguest question ever.' Toms words dripped drops of pure sarcasm. 'But really, the P.A.R.T. is different for each host. So far, the two Basics are activated by thought. But it can't be pure imagination, otherwise the other Forms could be anything... Under normal conditions, each Form activates based on need. The Guild of Keepers programmed it to be a kind of test, both of the individual, and of the planet as a whole. My advice would be to learn about what you have. But I must warn you, the power you now have is not a toy.'

Patrick was insulted. 'Of course not! You think I would abuse the P.A.R.T.?'

'Honestly, I don't know. The FailSafe wouldn't have chosen someone unstable, or one likely to become power-crazy. But even if you are the ideal host, others may disagree. Violently.'

Patrick hadn't considered this. If the government became aware of him, they had no assurance he wouldn't become corrupted. All the more reason to be careful.

'I think I understand. But how do I use the what I have now?'

'Not here. People would see you. Head back to your apartment. I'll tell you plenty then.'

* * *

Patrick locked the door behind him. Out of habit, he looked at the wall clock. 11:29. But he felt quite energetic.

'Another 'perk'.' Tom knew what he was thinking.

'Now THAT'S what I call a perk!'

Sitting on the couch, Patrick assembled the 2nd Form. 'So! Superpowers 101!'

'Very funny. Look at your right wrist. You see those holograms?' Patrick surveyed his hand.

'Yes. What do they do?'

'Well, if you took the computing power of all the computers on earth (and that includes mobile devices), and combined them, and then advanced your technology by about eight centuries, and put all of that on your wrist...'

Patrick was astounded. 'No way!' He began looking at the metal gauntlet in a whole new way. 'Inconceivable!'

'Honestly! Try it!' Patrick touched one of the floating screens. It expanded, dwarfing the others around it.

[Welcome to the Multi-Chromatic-Network! The No.1 rated browser of time and space is ready to serve!]

'No way. The universe has its own Internet?'

'Of course! And it's not just the universe! That network works anywhere, anywhen!'

Patrick pinched the screen, shrinking it back to its previous size. Looking around, he marveled over the piece of hardware now a part of his arm.

'Try holding your phone.' Tom's voice had a smirk hidden in it.

Patrick pulled his phone out, holding it in his right palm. The information screens that normally circled his head joined the ones on his arm. 'Here, try this one.' One screen enlarged. It read [technology detected. Integrate and adapt? Y/N]. Patrick selected Y. His iPhone began dissolving, the mist-like remnants flying into his palm.

Patrick was furious. 'What did you do? That phone was expensive!'

'Calm down! Look at the screens.' The info holograms were gone, being replaced with a single rectangle. This one was different from the others. It had depth, and seemed more solid than the others.

It was his phone.

He had absorbed his iPhone, and created a holographic version of it.

'Try it out!'

Patrick picked it up. It sat in his hand, completely tangible. He pushed the home button, sliding the bar across the screen. It was definitely his phone.

'But...'

'It is an exact copy of your phone, albeit improved a bit. You can put it in your pocket, throw it, stand on it, anything you want to do to it. But it won't have a scratch. And it's on the same network as you are. Plus, only you can use it. To everyone else, it's a hologram.'

Patrick smiled. He liked this. Picking up his crappy laptop, he placed it on his lap, with his hand resting on top. He touched Y. The computer dissolved, soon replaced by a transparent copy.

'Awesome.'

'I know, right?'

'But what about this?' Patrick held up his left hand, thinking the claws into existence. 'What does this hand do?'

'Light weapons.'

Now Patrick was alert. 'Weapons?'

'Yes. Your palm can emit short pulses of supercharged energy. Those are pretty standard for the UNIT handguns.'

'UNIT?'

'UNiversal Intelligence and Tactical. Space police.'

'Oh, ok. So my hand is a handgun.' He realized what he'd just thought, and facepalmed. It hurt quite a bit, considering his hands were metal. "Oww!"

* * *

Tom suggested Patrick get some sleep. Even without the need for it, Patrick's body would just give out after long enough. He climbed onto the couch, closing his eyes.

He opened them. He was back in the elevator, ascending to the top of the space needle. The doors opened, and Tom was sitting at the same table Patrick sat at before.

"Hello! Long time no see!" Patrick walked over to him, sitting down. "You're in my dream? Why am I not surprised?"

Tom chuckled. "While our thoughts are separate, we are one person. If need be, I can even control your actions!"

"Please don't. That would be...unnatural."

"Alright. But while we can talk, I have more to tell you." Toms face darkened. "It's about Discord"

"The more I know, the better!"

"He may be powerful, but there's no way he jumped the Twist alone. He had either help from this side, or he had others jump with him. Since the first is near impossible, that means he is not alone. Others came with him."

Patrick thought for a moment. "In my dream, three things fell to earth, only one landing near here."

"Exactly. At least two others came along. And I'm betting they're just as powerful, if not more."

"Great. But I need to know more about Discord. I'm supposed to fight him?"

Tom nodded. "Yes, we'll need to fight him. Unfortunately, he's the one of the most random beings alive. Here, look." Tom stood up and walked over to the windows, pointing downwards. "Your dreams are now in real time. Everything you see now is exactly what is really happening." Patrick looked down. Half the buildings now had trees growing out the sides of them. The roads were distinctly soapy, and the city hall was purple. Neon purple.

"What?"

Tom sighed. "Exactly. Chaos, at its finest. The one thing that defeated Discord in the past is unavailable, mostly due to the fact that it was magic. So we're going to have to improvise." Patrick grinned.

"Improv. One of my specialties."

Author's Note:

The next chapter will not begin from Patrick's point of view. Just to let you know.