• Published 27th Dec 2012
  • 4,694 Views, 403 Comments

Ghosts of Whitetail Wood - Biochi



Applebloom continues to seek out her special talent and finds more than she has bargained for.

  • ...
5
 403
 4,694

Blasphemy and Pitchforks

Apple Bloom was feeling better after hanging out with her friends. Her whole day had been one emotionally wrenching disaster after another and she was exhausted by the constant ups and downs. Before she could fall asleep, however, her stomach began to rumble with hunger and she remembered that she hadn't eaten anything since lunch all those hours (and what felt like a lifetime) ago. The hour was late and the sounds of crickets filtered up though her window. She decided to sneak down to the kitchen and grab herself a snack out of the cold-box.

Carefully, she opened her bedroom door. Care had to be taken or the shingle bearing her name would bang against the wood. During the last couple of years she had also learned which boards would creak and avoided those too. With a filly's light hoof-falls she approached the top of the stairs leading down to the family room and the kitchen beyond. She froze as she heard the hushed voices coming from the kitchen. Apple Bloom knew eavesdropping was wrong and by the furtive tones of her family she could tell she wasn't supposed to be hearing what the adults were saying but then she heard her own name mentioned and snuck forward to listen.

"What are we going to do," she heard her sister say, despairing.

"What is there to do," Granny answered, philosophically. "Yer smart friend said there wasn't anything ta be done."

Apple Bloom heard Applejack growl, "Yep, that's what she said."

"Sis." Mac said as a chastisement to his sister.

"She is the most powerful unicorn alive an' the Princesses would do anything she asked 'em for. Are you telling me that you believe Celestia can't do anything to fix Apple Bloom?"

Apple Bloom's bottom lip began to shake when she heard her sister use the word "fix."

"It may or mayen't be a matter of won't, young miss, but don't you start blaspheming the Princess' name. She was mightily kind to us back in the day," Granny scolded.

"Yeah, she gave us land no one else wanted because it was too dangerous. We did well despite of her, not because of her, and in exchange we built her a prosperous town and all the taxes she can collect.

"Applejack!" Macintosh's basso shook the house. He was immediately shushed by his grandmother.

'I know this is hard news, granddaughter but you can't be going on this way." Granny said in soothing tones.

Apple Bloom then heard a sound as rare as hen's teeth, her sister sobbing. "I love her Granny, I love her so much. All I've ever wanted was for her was to be happy, grow up strong, and to pass the farm down to her. But that thing on her flank ruined everything. You didn't sit up with her, after she came back from the Everfree that night. She would wake up screaming, night after night, crying about the fires in their eyes begging them to let her go. I held her in my arms all those nights like she was a foal again and it broke my heart to see her like that. I thought it was just a bad dream an' it was real, we nearly lost her that night. It would kill me Granny, it would kill me if we lost her.

Silence filled the house as tears quietly fell to the hardwood floor besides Apple Bloom's hooves.

Big Mac finally spoke up, "Sis, maybe she has a purpose. I heard the story too. It sounded like she helped that one ghost. Maybe that's what she's here for. Maybe that's part of Celestia's plan?" It was the most words Apple Bloom had heard from Mac since she had gotten out of publishing.

Applejack's voice sounded choked and rough, "Mac, haven't you ever hated your Mark? I mean...apples. Sure we are great farmers, we grow the best apples in all of Equestria and I take pride in that. But, haven't you ever wished for your Mark to have been something more...exciting?"

"I guess, sure," the red stallion replied, unsure of his sister's point.

"Apple Bloom is now Marked for a life full of horror, death, and fire. Apples is gonna be the thing she wishes for unless we can help her," the orange mare explained. No one had an answer for that and the house grew quiet once again. "I'm tired an' I can cry just as well in my bed as here. Goodnight." Applejack said and then left the table.

It took a moment for the spell to be broken and for Apple Bloom to realize her sister was walking straight towards her. Tip-hoofing as fast as she could, the yellow filly ducked back into her room an instant before her sister's head poked over the lip of the stairs. The filly panted silently as she listened to her sister's hooves pass in front of her bedroom door. Among the hoof-falls she heard a sniffle and then her sister's door closing just slightly too hard.

----------------------------------------------

Despite her exhaustion, Apple Bloom couldn't sleep. She couldn't remember the last time she had seen (or heard) her sister so upset, let alone cry. Her sister's words kept running around in her head and wouldn't pause long enough for sleep to catch them. The crickets had given up their songs and the night had grown quiet enough for her to listen to her sister's hidden tears. Minutes would pass in silence and then there would be a snuffle or the sound of Applejack blowing her nose. In the small hours of the night that too finally lapsed into silence as her sister finally received some measure of peace.

It was then that there was a sudden rattling against her window. Her room was pitch black and her mind was filled with the innumerable ghosts and ghouls that might be knocking at the sill. Her eyes were just above the blanket pulled above her nose and wide with terror. The noise came again, insisting to be acknowledged.

"I have a purpose. I have a purpose. I have a purpose." Apple Bloom whispered to herself as she creeped out from under her covers and towards the window. "Maybe he's just lost and wants directions to the graveyard," she said in an attempt to muster her courage. Reaching the window, she pulled open the sash with her hooves. Below there was an unnatural green glow, pulsing irregularly. Its glow washed the colors from her coat and mane leaving her an image in black and white. A pebble then smacked into her nose. "Ow!" she said, more out of surprise than pain.

"Oops, I didn't see you there," a familiar voice whispered up from below.

"Sweetie?!?" Apple Bloom whispered back.

"Yeah! Why? Who did you think it was throwing pebbles at your window?"

"Um..." Apple Bloom was reluctant to admit that she had thought her visitor was a ghost.

"Oh My Gosh, were you expecting a colt?" Sweetie said as her eyes grew wider along with her smile.

"What?" Apple Bloom said flatly, forgetting to whisper

"That is so romantic! Does he come by and serenades up to your window? Or is it poetry? Sonnets?"

"What?!?" She repeated as the conversation rapidly began moving in a direction she had not anticipated.

"Oh Apple Bloom, oh Apple Bloom. How now shall I compare you to a full moon," Sweetie Belle mocked the imaginary suitor.

The yellow filly stared down at her friend while dying inside from lethal levels of embarrassment.

"This so isn't fair, you get both your cutie mark and a coltfriend before either of us." Sweetie pouted.

"Wait, no, no no! I ain't got no coltfriend! I thought you were a ghost!" Apple Bloom admitted, the truth now seeming far less embarrassing.

"Oh," the unicorn's disappointment was palpable. "Do ghosts throw rocks at your window?"

"No. I mean, not yet, I guess...Ghah!...Sweetie why are you here?" Apple Bloom desperately tried to wrest control of the conversation and steer it back to somewhere sane.

"Can you sneak out? We need to talk." Her friend answered.

"Sure, give me a sec." she answered and then closed the window. She repeated her earlier performance and while sneaking through the kitchen remembered her earlier hunger and grabbed an apple from the cold box. Sweetie Belle was waiting for her a few meters away from the kitchen door and hugged her fiercely when she arrived.

"So, what's going on?" Apple Bloom asked around half-chewed bits of apple.

"Rarity says she's going to get our parents to not let us be friends anymore."

"What?! She can't do that!" Apple Bloom replied in shock.

"She's gonna tell our parents that it's dangerous to be friends with you and they can make it so that I'm not allowed to do things with you outside of school anymore."

"But that would kill the Crusaders!"

"I know! Sweetie agreed.

"That's not fair!"

"I know!"

"We can't let her get away with this!"

"I kn- How are we going to stop her?" the unicorn filly asked, interrupting herself.

"I have a purpose." Apple Bloom repeated her brother's words like a mantra.

"What?"

"Um, I mean, I have a plan. Come on!"

"Where are we going? she asked.

"Whitetail Wood."

--------------------------


Twilight and Luna were standing underneath the obnoxiously decadent temple to her own grandeur Rainbow Dash called home. "Rainbow! Rainbow Dash! Wake up and come down here!" Twilight was shouting at the top of her lungs.

"Twilight, if you want I could just use the-" Luna tried to offer.

"No. RAINBOW!!!"

"Or I could fly up-" The alicorn tried again.

"No. RAINBOW!!!"

A sky-blue face pushed her way through the bottom of the cloud house. "Jeeze Twi, What the hay has got you so riled up. Oh! Hi there Luna!

"Um, hello Rainbow Dash." Luna responded, feeling uncomfortable from all the shouting.

"Rainbow, do you know where Grogar is?"

The cyan mare looked over to the Princess standing next to her friend. "Who wants to know?"

"Discord, he wants to get his old bowling team back together." Twilight snapped with maximum snark.

"Um, Twi. Just cause he's an old god that broke out of Tartarus and nearly killed you, Luna, and Celestia. That doesn't mean he's buddies with Discord. It might be a trap." Rainbow replied, totally oblivious to Twilight's sarcasm.

Luna tried to express her concern in a soothing tone. "Twilight, are you sure we have to do things this way? You seem to be getting...agitated."

"I...AM...FINE." Twilight growled through clenched teeth while smoke started to curl from the grass touching her hooves.

Rainbow Dash zipped the 12 meters to the ground in a blink. "Twi, seriously, you gotta calm down. What's going on?

The double-barreled concern and friendship broke through to the purple unicorn. She took a deep breath and focused on finding her center. It took a good portion of a minute but she managed to regain some of her composure. "I need to get a message to Grogar. Apple Bloom has developed a talent for necromancy and he's the only living necromancer in Equestria. We need him to come back to town, again, and help her get control of her talent." She breathed out her remaining breath with a whoosh.

"Oh, sure! He's out past Appaloosa hanging with the buffalo. I can get there in a couple of hours. He can take the train back here in a day or two. No problem." Dash answered without any signs of stress.

Luna stroked Twilight's fur, smoothing it back down flat.

Rainbow continued past where she should have stopped. "It's a real shame about Apple Bloom's cutie mark."

Luna answered for the still-flustered Twilight. "There is nothing wrong with her having a talent for necromancy."

"Necromancy?!?" Dash said, shocked. "That darn Scootaloo said she couldn't raise zombies, made it sound like it was broken or something. I gotta talk to her about paying closer attention to things." Dash said, totally missing that Twilight's hair had went "sproing" and her teeth were grinding.

"Miss Dash, perhaps you should start your journey." Luna prompted in an effort to diffuse the purple ticking bomb.

"I guess so, its not like its gonna take me all that l-" It was then that she noticed Twilight's state. The poly-chromatic mare stared at her friend for a couple seconds and then, "Okgottagoseeyoulaterbyebye." Rainbow dash then disappeared, leaving a rainbow contrail pointing towards the southwestern horizon.

Luna tried making soothing noises and stroking Twilight's coat in an attempt to bring her marefriend back from her stress-induced fit. It was just beginning to calm her down when Applejack, Big Mac, and Granny Smith came down the road towards the two of them, carrying various farming implements. As they drew near Luna saw tears running Applejacks face and was able to more accurately classify her manner of carrying the pitchfork as "brandishing."

"I heard you were here!" Applejack spat the words with rage and sorrow. "Not even one day and you've already come for her! I don' care what's wrong wit' her, she's ours an' you can't have her!"

Luna looked over her shoulder to make sure she was the one the farmer was addressing.

"Why didn't you even let her say good-bye to us you evil witch!" The farmer continued, the foam flecking the sides of her mouth mixed with the tears that ran freely down her cheeks.

"Miss Apple-" Luna tried to answer but was cut of.

"Give her back! Give us back our Apple Bloom!" the orange mare demanded in a voice that could only be born of heartbreak.

Luna knew what to do: Calmly yet firmly deny that she had anything to do with Apple Bloom's disappearance, explain in a firm, even voice that she had never intended to take Apple Bloom away, and then volunteer to help the Apple clan track down their missing filly. Despite this knowledge, Luna found herself rocketing into the sky at her best acceleration dragging a screaming Twilight in her telekinetic wake and having pitchforks and other farming implements sailing after her like so many javelins.

"That may have looked just the slightest bit guilty." she said to herself and her up-side down, backward, and panicking marefriend. The flight was over quickly as Luna slammed through the balcony door/window that opened into Twilight's bedroom. The door didn't survive the process but the alicorn remembered to remove the broken glass from the bed before placing the unicorn onto the soft platform.

"-UUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" Twilight's scream was cut off with an "oof" as she dropped the last half-meter to the surface of the bed.

Luna was pacing in place fluttering her wings in agitation, wide eyes with fear. "We're so sorry Twilight please don't break up with us," the goddess begged in a torrent of syllables.

"How many times has it been?!?" fury dyed her words crimson. "How many times have I asked you not to 'ever do that again'?!?"

"I don't know but I'm sorry we panicked but it wasn't our fault we did nothing and Applejack threw things at us and-"

"I don't care, Luna." Twilight cut her off. "What did I say? You had one more chance; one. It doesn't matter that you caused this or not, I can't take it anymore. I'd have less chaos in my life if I was dating Discord."

Luna fell silent as Twilight ranted, her mouth hanging open and tears starting to gather at the corners of her eyes. Seeing Twilight's face and guessing where this conversation was leading the alicorn whispered the word "No," begging.

Twilight shook her head. "I'm sorry Luna but this was it, we're done."

"Please...don't." Luna kept begging as the tears spilled over and ran down her cheeks.

"Luna, don't make this any harder. Just g-" Twilight gasped a shuddering breath, "I...I need you to go."

"But-"

"Luna, please, go."

Everything on the alicorn was shaking but she managed a nod.

Twilight waited, silent and resolutely avoiding eye contact.

Luna turned around and lept from the balcony. She beat her wings as if she could outrun her own heartbreak. She didn't look back so she didn't see Twilight break down into body-wracking sobs.

For several minutes Luna just flew. She didn't have any destination other than "away." She fought against the thinning air. She fought against the ice beginning to crust her feathers. She fought her way to where the blue faded from the sky and the black, star-speckled expanse of her father's belly was visible. She fought against the sorrow, pain, and hate that threatened to overwhelm her. Part of her, the "old" part of her, screamed for revenge. The seductive whisper was back "Those backwards earth-ponies had cost her dearly and she should return to their land and smash every tree they've ever planted, crush all their buildings, and salt the very soil they claimed as theirs. The ruin and desolation would last for centuries as a warning to all those who would forget that the Princess of the Night was also a goddess and that invoking her wrath would bring nothing but sorrow."

It was tempting but Luna knew where that led; to who that led. Instead, she chose to stay here at the edge of space. Her muscles and lungs burned as the pumped her wings as hard as possible to simply to maintain her position. Her tears froze as they shook free from her eyes. Her screams were thinned and muffled by the lack of air. No one could see her here, far above where mortal life could venture. No one besides her father who had never judged her for either ill or fair.

Eventually, even the immortal mare ran out of tears to shed. Still full of sorrow, but now clear of head, she thought about her situation. This wasn't the first time she'd had her heart broken. While still a rare event, every few millennia a mare or stallion came along who stood head and shoulders above the throngs of nearly anonymous ponies. Sometimes it ended this way, sometimes it was she who ended the affair, but sometimes the love lasts a lifetime - literally. Luna had thought that this was what she had found with Twilight. She still loved the mare (and her heart clenched as she thought the words) and she believed that Twilight still loved her. "But should I respect her wishes and allow this courtship to end?" she wondered. "To fight for what one desires is a virtue, to fight for the continuation of love is heroic, but to do so while disregarding the wishes of her beloved? What is that?"

The lunar mare fretted, "If I give her the time to calm down I might also give her the time to accept the end of our courtship. If I pursue her, though, I might anger her further, dooming my efforts." She looked back down at the world she had so recently returned to. She was high enough she could see the curvature of the globe and all of her kingdom layed out below her. She could see from the beige desert sands of the southwest to the glittering,eternal snows in the far north - except for one circular patch of green and blue she noted. Her eyes widened with realization.

Luna had never been particularly fond of her "niece," but there was no disputing that the pink pony princess was an expert on all things romantic. As a bonus, her paramour's brother was her husband and might be able to give her even more specific advice for dealing with Twilight. She shook the frozen remnants of her tears from her face and angled her wings for the long decent down to the Crystal Kingdom.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight watched Luna leave, she noted that her lover didn't look back. "Former lover," her mind helpfully added for the sake of precision. After that, Twilight collapsed to her knees as sobs ripped through her. The wooden floor of her room was still covered with broken glass but she didn't feel their bites; the wound in her heart hurt far too much for her to notice. The analytical portion of her mind wondered at her own capacity for this emotion. She had been surprised by the pleasure that friendship and eventually love had brought into her life. Her logical self found it equally surprising that the removal of a relationship seemed to cause pain in direct inverse proportion to the pleasure that relationship was capable of invoking. The remainder of her mind was totally dedicated towards wailing in heartbreak.

The next several minutes were a blur to the purple unicorn. She could barely get enough air to breathe through her choked crying as she curled herself up into a tight ball of equine misery. She hated Luna for failing her. She hated herself for having made the ultimatum. She hated herself for following through with her threat. She hated Luna for having brought them to this point. She hated Applejack for jumping to the conclusions that pushed Luna into her rash action. She hated Apple Bloom for-. The thought stopped her cold; Apple Bloom was the victim, if indeed there was a victim at all. "I almost hated her for being different," she thought. "None of this is her fault," she reminded herself.

Her attention was pulled away from her own misery by the door to her bedroom creaking open. Spike was standing there, eyes wide with fear. "He must have been home and heard me crying," she thought.

"Twilight, are you ok?" the dragon asked, his voice barely above a whisper. There was no sarcasm or teenage attitude in his voice, only sincere concern.

"I'm fi-f-f-ffff-" Twilight tried to respond but started shaking and crying again. Her head dropped back to the floorboards. A minute later she felt a tiny, clawed hand running through her mane, petting her in an attempt at wordless comfort. With the speed of a striking viper she snatched the little dragon into a tight embrace and while she cried harder for a while, she felt far better with him there.

Twilight had no idea how much time had passed. Her thoughts had stopped taking on the shape of words. There was just the pain of her heartbreak and the comfort given to her by the dragon she thought of as her son. Eventually, a knock at the door intruded upon her despair. She pulled herself up to her shaking legs and whispered "Thank you, Spike," to the drake and kissed him on the cheek.

Spike, flummoxed by the shear amount of emotion floating about managed a masculine, if awkward, "Sure."

Twilight smiled weakly at him and then started towards her bathroom to clean herself up. She paused as her caller shouted out.

"Um, Twi. It's me and Rares. We really, really need to talk," said Applejack in her distinctive drawl.

Twilight's jaw jutted out in anger as she recognized the voice. She then decided that if those two wanted to talk to her so badly, they might as well do so while looking upon what their mistakes had done. She trotted down the steps to the front door of the library and threw it open with a pulse of her magic. She stood before them, her face puffy, fur soaked with tears, muzzle running with snot, and her legs bloody and scratched.

They looked like they were seeing a ghost.

Author's Note:

I found this chapter a bit challenging to write. I wanted to explore and convey just how upset Twi and Luna are but I didn't want either of them to come off as self-indulgent pricks. Hopefully it worked.