• Published 15th Jan 2012
  • 2,137 Views, 23 Comments

My Little Pony: Return of the Primal Fear - Lizardsareradical



Will Twilight and co. save Equestria from a new evil and prevent an eternity of nightmares?

  • ...
8
 23
 2,137

Singing and silence

Chapter 11: Singing and silence

Spike woke up with his heading hurting, face first in some sort of goop. He got up and saw that he was in a place where all he could see was pitch black. He remembered what happened to him just before and realized he must be inside Screameater himself. With some hesitation, he began to explore the darkness, his feet sinking into the black oozy substance.

After much walking, he saw a faint white color in the distance. He decided to run towards it, believing that he had nothing to lose. As he moved closer to the object, he saw that it was a stallion. But when he came up to him, he recognized him.

"Blueblood?" Spike asked recognizing the regal unicorn in the darkness. The prince looked extremely glum, but also extremely bored.

"Yes. Tis I young dragon." Blueblood replied without even looking at him. His face was in the slushy floor, not even caring anymore. "In my father's stomach."

Spike just froze at what the stallion said. "Father?"

Blueblood just let out a mellow sigh. "Yes indeed. This is the same pony who was once wed to my mother. As you can see, he doesn't care much for his only son, letting me be the first ritual."

"But is there a way out?" Spike asked, knowing the answer all too well.

"Not that I know of." Blueblood replied as if he lost all hope from the start. He then got up from the muck and looked at Spike, his eyes stern. "But did you see a copy of yourself before you were taken by that Trixie witch? The indecency!" He then sat down again, once again mellow.

Spike also sat on the inky ground, thoughts racing in his mind. He prayed to Celestia and Luna that the Elements will save him. He also felt terrible for abandoning both Twilight Sparkle and Coocoodrill and leaving them to find a fake, and most likely dangerous clone of him. He then began to wonder what his copy was doing in Ponyville.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was about noon and Rarity was having some tea and a muffin while reading the Newspaper at a local cafe. As she looked at the front page, she noticed the words "The Great and Powerful Trixie missing from apartment". Rarity never really did care for Trixie or her rise to fame, mostly due to their one and luckily only meeting. But in this case, she felt bad for her, worrying that the magician could even in legitimate trouble.

As she turned the page of the paper, she noticed that there was also an article called "No Fishpony sighting in 24 hours". The article next to that one was "Prince Blueblood opens high quality orphanage for all Equestrians alike". She just looked at that titled stumped at why such a selfish pony would just all of a sudden be so charitable.

"Must be just hogging the credit from some good old pony." She said to herself as she began read the articles about Trixie and the Fishpony. She then noticed something and began to think to herself.

Why would someone such as Trixie leave all of her fame behind? And why would such a terrible beast only be in Manehattan for such little time? Perhaps these two stories are connected to one another in a way. Perhaps the Fishpony wanted to eat Trixie. OR maybe she's starting an underground cult that uses magic to be able to breathe water. And when she has enough crazed ponies, she'll flood the world and start anew…Nah that's a silly thought.

Wait a minute, who is that I see outside the window? I hey it's Spike! I wonder how the little tyke is doing. But wait a minute? Where's Twilight? He's usually with her. Maybe he's doing errands for her. But let's not be rude to him. I'll wave to him to grab his attention.

"Yoo-hoo! Spike Darling! How are you doing?" Rarity called out to the baby dragon as he walked past.

The Mara in disguise just looked back and squinted to take a good look at the white mare waving at it. "Spike" was checking for an aura, to be worthy as part of the ritual to restore the Primal Fear. But to its disappointment, the Mara saw no aura. So he just snorted green fire and turned away, ignoring the unicorn.

Rarity watched Spike leave confused. He has never blatantly ignored her before. This was actually completely out of character for him. She just then decided to go back to her newspaper.

"That was rude of him. He must be having a bad day. Perhaps Twilight knows why he's acting like this. I'll see her later."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes later of just walking around town, the dragon imposter was still looking for potential victims of the ritual. All it had to do was find one, alert Screameater, and then wait.

As it passed by a three floor apartment complex, "Spike" saw a faint, almost clear colored wisp. An aura perhaps? It wasn't sure, it never had to search for an aura before, the monster was just enchanted with the ability to see them and that's all it knew. The Mara took a closer look and saw that it came from a third floor apartment, which unlike the rest of the house, was made of bricks. It then noticed the faint wisp coming from an open window. It saw the entrance to the building and ran inside, hoping the wisp was an aura.

After running up three stairs, the Mara was sweating and panting for breath. This body had less stamina than it expected. It then saw the brick fortress of an apartment, complete with several locks. The mara saw that the door was made of metal, so burning the door down was not an option. So baby dragon just rolled its eyes, and resorted to doing the polite thing.

"Spike" knocked on the door a couple of times before waiting for an answer, hissing in malicious delight. It heard no answer whatsoever and saw a doorbell right next to the entrance. The imposter tried to press it, but it was out of reach. The Mara then just hit its head against the brick wall, sighing in frustration.

"Spike" then looked outside the window of the hallway, seeing a teal pegasus flying away, whistling a tune in delight. The purple dragon noticed that the stallion looked relatively well groomed, and even a little wet. The Mara then realized that it wasn't looking at an aura; it was looking at shower steam.

The false baby dragon just grunted in anger and disappointment and kicked the door with all its might. But due to never having toes before, the Mara realized that kicking a steel door hurts. It yelped and picked up it injured foot, hopping backwards to the neighboring apartment's door. The door slammed open, crushing the poor Mara behind it. Out came a yellow pony with curly orange hair, which closed the door and walked down the stairs, not even noticing the dragon flattened to the wall. The Mara got up dizzy and stumbled around, seeing little skeleton birds fly around its head. It then stumbled back to an open window and fell out. It then landed into an open dumpster, the garbage breaking its fall. "Spike" just groaned at its misfortune.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paramail was flying to Fluttershy's house to help her with the animals. He was very excited to give a helping hoof to the mare he admired so much. In fact, he had to excuse himself from Coocoodrill's guy time just to practice some yoga books to stay calm around his crush. With those relaxation exercises, the pegasus had a good feeling he'd be able to be with for the afternoon without having a nervous breakdown.

He finally got to her cottage and landed onto the ground. To his surprise though, he saw Fluttershy already up and feeding a chinchilla. He walked up to her with the warmest smile he can make. She noticed him coming towards her and waved.

"Why hello there Paramail. You got here right on time." Fluttershy said to him, glad that he made it.

Paramail rubbed the back of his head, retaining his composure. Thank Celestia for those yoga tips. He then spoke out. "Wouldn't miss it for the world." He then noticed that all of the surrounding animals were already fed and taken care of.

"How long have you been working?" The bald pony asked her as he saw an elephant eat a mouthful of leaves.

"Oh, only about since six thirty." Fluttershy told him as if it was no big deal. Paramail was stunned.

"I am so sorry. If I knew you started sooner, I would have come around earlier." Paramail told the yellow mare almost apologetically.

Fluttershy just waved a hoof as if without any worrie. "It's okay. In my opinion, I just finished the easy half." She then let out a cute chuckle. "Baldy" saw an anaconda swallowing a huge chunk of meat. He let out a refreshed sigh.

Good thing that's the easy stuff. I don't know what I'd if I had to go near that.

"Come on! Let's get started!" Fluttershy "exclaimed" in excitement as she grabbed his hoof and she flew him to a part of the land surrounded by all sorts of animals who were waiting to be taken care. The teal stallion was awestruck with how many animals she had.

"Are these…all under your care?" Paramail asked stunned as he watched badger run right past him. "Wow. You really like animals." He groaned to himself. Thank you captain obvious.

Fluttershy had a huge smile on her face. "I LOVE animals." She then fluttered into the air, taking in a long breath.

"All of the animals need our love and care!

From the cute little kitten to the speedy hare!"

Paramail was at awe with her amazing voice. He was also impressed with how she can sing and work at the same time. She then continued as she approached a water tank.

"These animals could really use our help!

Such as the trumpet fish with a house of kelp!"

Paramail began to tap his hoof the song. He saw a baby deer, grabbed some deer food and flew over to it, singing.

"We're here to give some helping hooves!

For this baby deer. AND A PACK OF WOLVES?"

He saw a bunch of wolves growling, but looked happy. As he was shaking, Fluttershy swooped in and checked their throats, giving them cough medicine, making them feel better. She then patted Paramail's back as she continued the song.

"I keep them here and give them help!

For each one here needs me!

This Tamaran had one bad knee!

But when it's better I'll let it free!"

Paramail looked at the cute monkey with a small caste and petted it, giving it a banana. He then gave Fluttershy a warm grin. He then trotted towards a tree with some lizard feed.

"I see what you a doing here!

And I just think great!

You found this gecko a true mate!

Such a meeting's only fate!"

"That's actually his sister."

"Oh." Paramail then made a sheepish grin as he saw both geckos looking at him funny. Fluttershy just giggled, with Paramail blushing and shrugging. He then continued to sing.

"These animals from everywhere!

From the wallaby to the panda bear."

Fluttershy then jumped in.

"Helping animals is my one true wish.

Like otters and the crown of thorns starfish."

Paramail took a grand look at all of the animals. They were all in bliss. He then took a deep breath.

"I can see that they all love this land!

Especially that lizard with a bunch of bands!"

He pointed at the banded skink that was laying on his back on top a rock wearing sunglasses. It was getting a tan. Fluttershy then put her arm around Coocoodrill, with him doing the same. They then began to sing together.

"This home is bliss and an eco boon!

For the peregrine falcon, fox, crocodile, raccoon!

Hippopotamus, flamingo, lemur, loon!

Bonobo, flying fox, poison dart frog!

Red kneed tarantula, katydid, and the ground hog!"

Fluttershy picked up the bunny next to them and kept on singing.

"All these animals act oh so well!

Especially my little wittle bunny Angel!"

Angel just stuck his tongue out at Paramail, causing the teal stallion to awkwardly look away. Fluttershy didn't even notice. She was too busy taking a long deep breath.

"AND THAT'S THEM AAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

The mailstallion was surprised by how loud she could sing. Especially for a quiet mare. Fluttershy quiet down and then clapped her hooves.

"And now we are all done!"

Paramail looked around and saw that they were in fact, all finished. This was quicker than he thought it would be. She's right! Singing does make the time go faster!

"So where to for lunch?" Fluttershy asked back to her quiet self.

"How about that place downtown? You know the place with those great daisy sandwiches right?" Paramail suggested completely relaxed. Spending an entire afternoon with the pony of his dreams, he didn't have many cares in the world. All he had to do was resist the urge to holler in joy.

Fluttershy quickly nodded and spoke up. "Yes! Yes! Yes I do! I'll go get my bag!"

She was about to turn to her house, but she felt a hoof on her shoulder. She looked back and saw Paramail looking straight into her eyes with a warm expression on his face.

"Don't worry. This is on me. I insist." Paramail told her in the most soothing voice he can make. He then thought to himself. Boy! Do I feel smooth right now!

Fluttershy looked away, trying not to blush. "Why…thank you very much." She then walked towards the exit. "But can we walk instead of fly?"

Paramail thought for a bit and then just shrugged. "Sure why not?" He then started walking beside her.

As the two spoke about what they would want for lunch, Angel just watched them, making gagging noises in disgust. He didn't really like Paramail very much.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Applejack finished her apple bucking relatively early. She already did most of it yesterday and she worked quickly today. She was anxious to ask her grandmother about the colt in the picture. So she went inside the house, grabbed the picture, and found Granny Smith in the living room on her favorite rocking chair.

"Heya Granny. Do ya have a minute?" Applejack asked her elder with respect as she walked up to her.

After a few seconds, Granny acknowledged her granddaughter. "Hey there Applejack. What can I do ya for?"

"Well Granny I have a question." Applejack hesitated, thinking about whether to ask or not. She chose the former. "Who is this foal in the picture with Auntie Razzi and Uncle Blubarry?"

She showed the picture to her grandmother and pointed at the foal. Granny took a good look at the picture, staring closing at the newborn. She then turned her head away frowning.

"What's the matter?" Applejack asked her concerned and beginning to get worried.

Granny Smith just looked back and sighed before speaking. "That there's your cousin."

Applejack was overjoyed at the acknowledgement of a new family member. But that only lasted a second. She then realized that there was some reason why she or her siblings never seen him before along with Granny Smith never mentioning him. She felt ready to know the whole truth.

"What…happened to him?" AJ questioned the old mare concerned of the fate of her cousin. She then noticed a tear in her grandma's eye.

Granny Smith then began to speak. "As you know the Apple Family has once in a while split into different fruits. Like your Aunt Orange. Some ponies just find different specialties and I approve of that. " She took a deep breath and continued. "I remember the day when my sister little sis Goldie found her talent with berries, moving down and founding Berrybash Bottom. Couple of years later, she had Blubarry. Such a good boy."

"But what was the name of my cousin?" Applejack asked still quite curious of her second cousin's identity. The child was truly her second cousin, but to AJ, it was a cousin all the same.

Granny Smith thought to herself for a bit. "Don't exactly remember. It was like Marshberry or Blackswamp or something like that." Her memory then kicked in as if by instinct. "Oh I remember now! It was Blubayou! In fact, he was born just a couple of days after you."

Applejack acknowledged what her elder said. She then hesitated, but felt like she had to ask. "What…what happened to Blubayou?" She was expecting the worst, such as an accident or illness.

Applejack was certain she saw tears in her Grandmother's eyes. The old pony just asked. "Can you get me some tissues?"

Applejack went to grab some tissues, gave them to her, and waited for her explanation patiently. Granny Smith just looked at her funny.

"What's with the tissues?" Granny asked back to her normal state of mind.

Applejack just sighed. "They're for the story you were going to tell me."

"The one about the founding of Ponyville?" She asked smiling.

Applejack just facehooved. "Not that one? What happened to Blubayou?"

Granny Smith frowned once again. "Well little Blu was just one week old when that fateful day occurred." She put a tissue in her hoof. She felt like she would need it. "The little foal was just in his crib. Razzi just sang him a lullaby and he was fast asleep. Blubarry and Razzi fell asleep soon after." Applejack then saw a tear go down her grandmother's eye. "The two heard a sound in the middle of the night and woke up. What they saw would scar the couple for the rest of their lives."

Applejack was enthralled by this story. "Wha…what happened?" She can now see the tears run down Granny's face.

Granny wiped some tears from her eyes. "They saw this pegasus skeleton at the baby's crib. It had Blubayou in its forehooves. The foalnapper didn't even acknowledge the two parents. It just flew off, carrying the baby off. Blubarry himself said that the foal was screaming and flying the whole time." Granny then brought her face close to her granddaughter's. "Sometimes, he and Razzi claim to still hear their son's wailing." She then moved her head back. "That's why that chest was down in the cellar. The two couldn't stand looking at it anymore and had to get rid of it. They lacked the heart to just simply throw it away. So I willingly took it from them, just to keep them in the right mind."

Applejack couldn't believe what she just heard. Her second cousin was taken by a skeleton of a pegasus, and she never knew about it. But even if she did know before, she had no idea where to start.

But then it hit her like a sledgehammer. She remembered Twilight talking about the Element of Tolerance and how that pony worked for this Screameater fellow. She then remembered Rarity talking about this Blue Frogpony. She went to the kitchen table and found today's paper. She saw a "Frogpony" article and saw a picture of a blue, amphibious pony, at a Manehattan theatre grabbing a cloak on a coat rack. This pony was the exact same color as the foal in the picture.

I then struck her that I would not be possible for Screameater to have several minions due to being trapped on Phobos. But he wanted out and the Elements impossible to use against him. She then realized that the best way to stop the Elements was to turn one of them against the rest. And what better way to do that then take one from the crib and raise it as his own. It also occurred that Phobos had many magical artifacts. One of those could have more than likely twisted her cousin into such a monstrous form.

Applejack began to feel tears well up in her eyes, feeling bad for her cousin. It could've been any one of us. I could have been Twi, Dash, Coocoo, Rare, Pinkie, Shy, Baldy, or even me. This Screameater is worse than either Nightmare Moon or Discord. Stealing babies, turning them into monsters, corrupting em to do your bidding. And I'm sure that is just the frosting of this cake. When I see this Screameater, I'm gonna…

"Hey AJ! Big Macintosh needs help on the sheep herding pronto!"

Applejack turned her head and saw Caramel peeking from the front door. Applejack considered just galloping off to Twilight's house, hoping to find a way to rescue Blubayou. But then she remembered that knowing her, she working the best she could on figuring out how to stop this oncoming threat. She made the firm decision to help her brother.

"I'm coming!" She wiped the tears from her eyes and hugged her grandmother. "Sorry for bringing that all up Granny! But I gotta go help my brother!" Applejack told the senior citizen and she ran off.

Granny Smith just thought for a bit, tilting her head. She then said to herself. "What were we talking about again?"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle and Coocoodrill were still looking for Spike in the middle of town. They already checked several place, including the Carousel Boutique, a highly likely place. But there was no evidence that he was even there. Both of them were beginning to feel down in the dumps.

"SPIKE! WHERE ARE YOU?" Twilight called out, still extremely worried. "YOU CAN COME OUT! WE'RE NOT MAD AT YOU! WE PROMISE!"

The purple mare then lowered her head down in despair. All Coocoo could do was put a comforting hoof on her back.

"Come on! Maybe it's time we get the others to help." Coocoodrill suggested to her trying to make her feel better. He then felt his stomach rumble, making him perk up. "We should find Pinkie first. I'm starved."

Twilight nodded but then noticed that they were near Paramail's apartment. She then looked up to the green unicorn. "We should get Paramail first. His house is right over there."

Coocoodrill thought for a moment, and then replied while shaking his head. "No can do Twi. Baldy's out helping Fluttershy, and then having lunch with one another. And by my guess, she lives the farthest away out of all of us." He then thought again. "But technically she's not the easiest to get to. RD lives in a cloud home, way out of our reach. But she could just be napping on one of thousands of trees. Or she's at work, working on one of many…"

"I get it." Twilight interrupted. "We'll see Pinky first and get a bite to eat." She then remembered what he said about Paramail. "Wait a minute? If Paramail's with Fluttershy, and then having lunch together? Are they on…a date?" Twilight was shocked. Her most quiet friend getting a boyfriend was shocking news to her.

"Yeah…" Coocoo told her with a straight face, causing Twilight to stare agape. He then couldn't help but loudly snicker. "…he wishes!" Twilight couldn't help but take a breath of relaxation. Coocoo's stomach then rumbled again. "BOY! I'M SO HUNGRY I CAN EAT A…" He then made a horrified face. "..UHHH! Never mind!"

Twilight couldn't help but chuckle at his strange antics. "Come on! Let go to Pinkie's. We can get something to eat and maybe she can even help us find Spike." She then looked away concerned. "Hope he isn't in trouble."

The two then walked towards Sugarcube corner. A few seconds later, "Spike" came from around the corner, dazed and smelling of garbage as it watched the two ponies leave. It then looked at the ground and saw a newpaper. It then picked the paper up, seeing an article about Prince Blueblood's new and much more charitable self. The Mara then used a spell Screameater equipped it with; the ability to transfer what he sees to his master.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Phobo's archive room, Screameater, who was now the size of a relatively large pony was putting the finishing touches on Anvillain's aura vision. Blubayou was polishing the golem, making sure it was completely shiny. The alicorn then saw the vision the Mara sent him and called for Trixie. She walked in quite quickly.

"You called master?" She asked bowing down to the new and improved Screameater.

Screameater walked up to her calmly and collectively. He then whispered in her ear. "Is it normal for my son to be so nice and charitable?"

Trixie back away and shook her head. "Not a bit. In fact, he's one of the most pompous and selfish ponies in Equestria."

The fallen prince looked like he was about to yelled at the top of his lung, but he managed to cool himself down. He then used his magic to summon several different kinds of Mara, from earth to pegasus. He then ordered Trixie, Anvillain and Blubayou in go into a line formation.

"So since this Mara will most definitely rat us out to my sisters, and thus the elements. We need to act now. I am not at full power just yet. It would only take only five of those elements to destroy me in my current state. And we don't want that do we?"

"NO!" Trixie, Blubayou, and Anvillain called out.

"Good! So you three and all these Mara are going to go to Ponyville and take a cutie markless pegasus filly and one pure of heart. Is that clear?"

"Yes!" All three of them called out again.

"That's the spirit! Now get going!" He called out to the group. The alicorn then used his telepathy to speak to Trixie. If Blubayou ever becomes a liability, abandon him. I have no more use for him. Trixie can only weakly nod before teleporting with the construct, amphibipony, and tons of Mara.

Screameater just chuckled as they left. "Feel my wrath now sister. And be ready to bow before your brother." He then began to break down into demonic laughter, flailing his tentacles. The laughing can be heard from all around Phobos, making all the living creatures there cower.