• Published 15th Jan 2012
  • 2,135 Views, 23 Comments

My Little Pony: Return of the Primal Fear - Lizardsareradical



Will Twilight and co. save Equestria from a new evil and prevent an eternity of nightmares?

  • ...
8
 23
 2,135

The Legend of Phobos

My Little Pony: The Lost Elements



Chapter 1: The Legend of Phobos

"In the very south of Equestria, beyond the Great Cerulean Sea, there is a small island eternally surrounded by fog. This is the island of Phobos. Legend has it that it was the home of the nightmares of everypony from the past, present, and yet to be. The very center of Phobos though, inside the Volcano of Hysteria, is something known as the Primal Fear, the incarnation of the deepest fears of whomever looks at it. But with horror comes temptations. It is said that vast treasures exist on the island such as hundreds of exotic jewels, artifacts and archives. But unless one goes there, nobody will ever know."

"Quite a read Spike! Especially the jewel part! Where did you get this?" Rarity asked the baby dragon sitting right next to her with curiosity and amazment in her eyes. They were in Twilight Sparkle's house, reading one of the books from one of the many shelves in the library. Rarity was initially here just to deliver her friend a nice new outfit she just made for her but she got distracted with this new book Spike showed her.

It had jewels on the cover was Spike's logic for attention from the mare of his dreams. He didn't even really know what it was about, he just stared at her beautiful eyes in wonder as she continued reading into the blue, relatively large tome.

Twilight on the other hand was studying on the legends of Starswirl the Bearded upstairs wearing her new outfit. It was a nice, purple cape with a star for the clip, it was really sparkly (she wasn't sure if it was a pun or not). It was also quite tacky, but she didn't want to complain. She looked back at the two as they were looking into the tome. She didn't really reconize the book. She went downstairs and walked up to them.

"Never seen this book before." Twilight said in curiosity as she got in between Rarity and Spike, to the latter's annoyance.

"I'm assured that's because you have so many other books in this house dear." Rarity calmly suggested to her friend.

Twilight thought for a bit, then nodded in agreement. It was true, she had hundreds of books, some she haven't even touched yet. It would be no surprise if this was one of those many books.The purple mare then took a better look at the book. She then began to read out loud for Spike and Rarity.

"It is said that the commonly forgetton less important second cousin of Princess Celestia and Luna is imprisoned on Phobos, punished for his trangressions against Equestria. Prince Cosmus as he was called was once part of the happy alicorn royal trio. He had no responsibilities with the Sun or Moon, so he spent his time archiving all of the magic and wonders in Equestria. It also allowed the prince to find love quicker than his sisters. But when Cosmus was the first to marry, he believed that he should be king then, making him the absolute ruler of Equestria. Cosmus talked about it with his two siblings, but they insisted that they share the power as equals. "

Twilight flipped the page with her magic and saw a picture of Celestia, with Luna on her right side. By Celestia's left though was a black stallion about a foot taller than Luna. His black coat was covered with small, white spots which made him look like the starry space. He had a short, black mane also with white spots. His cutie mark was five bigger stars organized to make a circle. He was wearing nothing but a golden crown on his head. Twilight then looked at the opposite page, which revealed more text. She continued to read again.

"Cosmus was not satisfied with the answer and secretly looked into the Dark Unicorn arts. He decided to use the strongest weapon he knew. Fear. He then used his newfound power to transform himself into the monsterous abomination known as Screameater. His signature ability was to make opponents face their deepest fears."

Twilight once again turned the page with her magic, revealing a picture of a pure black, maneless stallion with a red moon for a "cutie" mark. He was by the looks of it, two feet taller than Celestia, razor sharp fangs, and had one big glowing orange eye in the center of it's head that lacked a pupil. He wore no armor or clothing whatsoever, even lacking his crown. But the their were two distinguishing things about him. The first were his bat-like wings that looked like they would be bigger than either her or Rarity. The second, more horrific trait were several smooth, black tentacles on his back, which were grabbing people left and right. All of them shuddered at the monstrous alicorn. Twilight then began reading again.

"He would've brought Equestria into an eternal nightmare when if it weren't for Celestia and Luna. Together they used the Elements of Harmony to fight back. This severley weakened Screameater and he was eventually banished to Phobos, but at the cost of three lesser elements known as the Paraelements. Some ponies say that they were destroyed but others say that he took them so they'll never be used against him ever again. But unless you go to Phobos for yourself, you'll never know."

And with that, Twilight shut the book. She then looked at both Rarity and Spike, who were shaking with fear. But by the looks in their eyes, they were also confused.

After some uncomfortable silence, Twilight finally spoke up.

"I never heard of the Paraelements. I thought we were the only ones."

Rarity aknowledged her friend. She then nudged the baby dragon, who quickly snapped out of his frightened stupor.

"I know how you feel." Rarity comforted Twilight as he held her held as if to contain all of the information. "We just learned about an island of nightmares, that there are three more Elements of Harmony and that Celestia has a corrupted younger brother. I too, am baffled."

"Thanks Rarity, but me and Spike heard hints here and there about a brother, just not an evil one." Twilight answered the fashion designer as she tried to smile. She still had Screameater on her mind and imagined him wrecking havoc.

Rarity was at first shocked that Twilight knew of Cosmus, but then she realized that she was Celestia's best student, so she must've known a thing or two about her.

"But when you think about it, I do wonder how she had that pig-of-a-prince Blueblood as a nephew anyways." Rarity said to both Twilight and Spike as she shuddered about "that night". Although he did let her hit his airship with a bottle, the gala memory was still an annoyance. But it was in the past.

"So wouldn't that make Prince Blueblood over a thousand year old cause by the sound of this story, it seems to be even before Nightmare Moon." Spike added to his crush as he smiled, putting his right hand under his chin. He said this not to glorify Prince Blueblood, but to hopefully make Rarity even more appalled by the prince.

It worked.

"OH MY GOODNESS! I WANTED TO MARRY SOMEONE THAT MUCH OLDER THAN ME? OF ALL THE WORST THINGS THAT COULD HAPPEN, THIS IS THE...WORST...POSSIBLE...THING!" Rarity hollered out like the drama queen she usually was. She then used her magic to get a sofa out of...nowhere and began to sob. Twilight and Spike just rolled their eyes.

"Soooooo? Rarity? Don't you...like have some designing to do?" Twilight suggested as she tried to change the subject.

With that, Rarity immediately jumped off the couch as if she forgot her past sadness.

"Why thank you deary. I almost forgot about that I have to make a couple of dresses for a couple of Canterlot ponies. Silly legend made me forget. Farewell." Rarity told her friend as she walked to the door in a cheery mood. But suddenly she forgot about something. She then gasped in horror.

"OH NO! I HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH, PAINT THE HOUSE AND CUT THE LAWN! I'LL HAVE NO TIME AT ALL! OF ALL THE WORST..."

"I can help."

Rarity looked down and saw Spike with his hands together and eyes wide open. It looked like he was begging to help.

"Thank you so much Spike! What would I ever do without you?" Rarity exclaimed overdramatically to the baby dragon as she patted her head. Spike made a stupid grin.

Twilight just facehoofed and shook her head in annoyance.

Spike then gentlemanly opened the door for Rarity. As she left, the white mare waved goodbye.

"Ta-ta! And don't let that legend bother you too much okay!" Rarity told Twilight as she finally left with Spike. Spike then closed the door, leaving the Element of Magic to her studies.

"She knows me too well."Twilight said to herself after she and Spike left. It was true, she was still perseverating on the whole Screameater of Phobos. She then went back to the book and opened it. She looked for the list of the Elements of Harmony and found it.

Honesty

Generosity

Kindness

Loyalty

Laughter

Magic

But to Twilight Sparkle's shock, the rest of the page was torn off before it got to the paraelements.

She now seriously considered consulting the Princess about the legend. She once thought that Nightmare Moon was a legend, but that turned out to be true. What if this was true also?

"Deja Vu." Was the only thing she could say as her head drooped down slightly scared but slightly annoyed. She had a feeling this would be a lot like Nightmare Moon and Discord. Maybe even like Sombra too.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, on the island of Phobos, in the middle of the jungle, there was a relatively clean pond, and in that pond was an earth pony leisurely swimming about as if on vacation. He swam with his hooves together, swishing his tail back and forth. He was humming a personal tune underwater.

His only normal traits were his yellow eyes and a cutie mark that was the green silhouette of a frog. Other than that, he was quite different than other earth ponies though. He had no hair; instead he had dark blue, slimy and clammy skin. Instead of a mane, he had a sail, like the ones on some newts. He also had fins behind each of his hooves. He also had four gill slits at each side of his neck. He saw a fly hovering twenty feet above him and out came his long, sticky tongue, grabbing it and eating it. He then made a loud, satisfied burp.

As the amphibian-stallion thing swam to the edge of the pond, he spread his forehooves out on the edge of the body of water as if he was in a hot tub. He then began to sing to himself in a Cajun accent.



Ba-Doo Bam Doo! Walla Walla Wa Loo! Jep-Pala Do Dang! Paaaa-boooo!



Restin in a pond, havin the time of m'life! Doing nutin much just havin a gooooood time!


"BLUBAYOU!!!!”

A deep, dark voice called out to the amphibipony. From the sound of it, the calling came from quite a distance, and it sounded angry. Any normal pony would shiver in terror, but for this particular stallion, it brought a smile of excitement to his face.

“Woooo-hooooo! Finally a job!!!! Imma Comin Screamy!!!”

Blubayou immediately jumped out of the water and started using his strong, skinny legs to hop unusual heights on his way to the volcano that Blubayou was taught to call the Volcano of Hysteria. He jumped off of tree and rocks, over bushes and bodies of water and even a group of sleeping Manticores. But when he attempt to leap over a thirty foot wide ravine, he started to fall within twenty feet. This wasn’t too much of a problem for him. He just used his long, sticky tongue to grab a tree branch from the other side and lifted himself up. It tasted like dirty treebark, but it was worth his life. Blubayou then finally found the chasm under the Volcano and entered as if it was an everyday thing. Which it was.

Blubayou went through the vast cavern, finding a twenty foot tall double door made out of pure gold with a large red moon in the center. On the floor in front of the entrance were three five stars that made a circle. Each star had a different color. From top clock wise the colors were: blue, green, yellow, red and purple.

“Alrighty! What was the password again?” Bluebayou asked himself as he scratched his head with his foot. After some thinking, he flicked his tail in triumph and jumped to the stars on the floor. He placed his left forehoof on red first, then on yellow, then on green, then once again on red, then on purple and finally on blue. All the stars then simultaneously flashed, allowing the pony to know he succeeded.

The “earth pony” then watched in triumph as the doors slowly opened, revealing the hidden sanctuary within the volcano. It was as big as a mansion, despite having significantly less rooms. There were three floors. The middle (where he was on) had a kitchen, bathroom, a study room full of archives and artifacts and sleeping quarters (where only Blu slept). The bottom floor had a prison (which due to lack of visitors, hardly ever used), a workshop for his master’s work and a cellar for miscellaneous supplies. The top floor had an observatory, a grand bedroom for Screameater and last but not least, behind a ten foot tall and five foot wide door of pure obsidian, which led to the “throne room”, which was only a hundred feet from the lava. The only reason Blubayou was comfortable with the lava was because the Volcano of Hysteria has never erupted for as long as he lived here, and that was his whole life. Blubayou knew Screameater was behind that door.

He opened the door, revealing the orange light of the burning magma, temporarily blinding Blubayou. When he regained his sight, he saw that the door led to a large ledge that ended in the center of the volcano. At the end of the ledge was a pure obsidian black throne that was turned away from the entrance. The stallion delightfully stepped forward to greet master Screameater, as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

“Ya hollered Screamy?” Blubayou asked with a grin on his face. He put his right hoof up in a salute.

Four foot black, writhing tentacles appeared from the throne. Slowly, the throne began to turn towards the minion. Blubayou then saw Screameater in all his greatness.

A tiny little, pitch black alicorn no bigger than a filly.

“It is about time colt. I thought I had to use another screaming spell to get you out of a pond.” The miniscule dark lord said in an impatient manner. It was hard to take seriously though, his voice sounded like a cat that just sucked up a bunch of helium. But Blubayou learned not to laugh at his voice; the hard way.

“No worries Screamy! Ya know I’m always here for ya!” Blu said as he hopped over to his little master, putting a forehoove over his master as if they were pals. Screameater responded by slapping him across the face with a tendril.

“How many times have I told you? Don’t called me SCREAMY!!!!” The filly sized villain shouted in anger. He always wanted to be referred to as either master or Screameater. Anything else infuriated him.

They next thing Blubayou saw was several green snakes with bright orange eyes coming out of his master’s mouth. They hissed uncontrollably and started slithering towards the stallion, who in response started to walk backwards to avoid the serpents. He tripped over a gap in the cliff and stumbled backwards towards the very edge. Now Blu was screaming in terror as he flailed his forearms to avoid falling into the lava. But just as he was about to plunge to his doom, Screameater used one of his tendrils to grab his minion by one of his hind legs. Screameater then brought Blubayou right up to him, making him stare into his pure orange eyes.

“Have you learned your lesson not to call me that anymore?” Screameater questioned his servant with a cruel grin on his face. He loved how the amphibipony was in utter terror. And this was just him at the low point of his life.

Blubayou only had the courage to muster up a nod. He looked towards where the snakes were, and saw that they were gone. He then let out a sigh of relief. I was quite a sight, getting threatened by a squeaky sounding puny overlord. Screameater then put his servant down.

“But anyways. I have a job for you.” Blu’s master told him still grinning as he slouched back in his throne, putting his two forehooves together.

“Y-Y-Yes master?” Blubayou recessively replied with a sheepish grin on his face. He was still visibly shaking. Screameater just chuckled and started to speak.

“I want you to go find a Unicorn that excels in magic. I have been saving up some of my limited power for him or her. Give or take, I care not for gender. For as you know…I can’t leave this island until full power and I’ll need someone who can get what I need from the outside.”

“But ya got-“

“SILENCE!!! I MEANT SOMEONE COMPETANT!!! When you go, bring him or her to me, you will join them in finding the beings I need to absorb for full power. THEN I WILL TRULY BE KNOWN AS THE PRIMAL FEAR!!!!”
Screameater began to laugh maniacally as he threw his forelegs into the air. His tendrils were flailing around uncontrollably. But the moment was ruined by his minion’s stupid question.

“Wait? So what ya need is snips, snails and puppydog tails right?”

The dark lord stopped laughing and gave his servant a “What?” look. Blubayou just stared blankly hoping for an actual answer for he honestly forgot. Screameater just sighed and quickly explained in a deadpan manner.

“Alright, alright. All I need to absorb is a prince, two princesses, a cutie markless pegasus filly and one pure of heart. And that’s the ritual. Woo hoo!”

The “earth pony” scrunched in thought for a little while and then came up with an idea.

“I know where ta start master! Howsa bout Manehattan! That place has got everything!” Blubayou suggested to his master in a giddy, almost childish manner.

“Fine, whatever.” Screameater passively told Blu not even caring. He then used a chunk of his hampered magic to create a blue rod with silver linings. He then used a tendril to toss it over to his minion. He then continued to speak.

“Here’s a teleportation rod. It only has two uses. So just go there and back with a unicorn. Also…remember to do two things. First, cover yourself in a cloak. The ponies out there aren’t used to your…look so to say. Second…I have really been craving for a good granny smith apple. Get a few while you’re there.” The vile stallion instructed, only smiling when he started to talk about apples.

“YES SIR!!!” Was the only thing that came out of the Amphipony’s mouth as he waved another salute with a cheery demeanor. He then leaped out of the throne room with three large hops.

When Blubayou was gone, Screameater just looked down and shook his head in disappointment. He then realized that he needed him. Not just as a house servant and scout, but as a sort of prisoner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screameater was sitting on his throne inspecting two heart shaped artifacts when the obsidian door opened to reveal a skeleton of a pegasus stallion. He had used a spell to summon to undead to go to Froggy Bottom Bog as he sensed that an Element of Harmony was just born. He ordered the skeleton to retrieve the foal and now it has come back, holding a crying pony covered in a red blanket in its arms.

Screameater got out of his throne and took the infant with a tendril. He then ended his undead spell, turning the skeleton to a useless pile of bones. The baby was stilling wailing profusely, to the little overlord’s annoyance. He then uncovered the blanket from the infant’s face to reveal a perfectly healthy blue earth pony.
One look of the horrid fallen prince caused the infant to cry even louder. Screameater could not handle the noise anymore and used his tentacles to dangle him over the cliff into the lava below. He was about to let go of the sobbing newborn but then it struck him. I he disposes of this pony, what makes him so sure the Elements won’t choose another pony in its place.
This was enough reason to bring the pony to safety. He then started to cradle the foal in his tentacles, trying to calm it down. After a nice lullaby, the infant was fast asleep. Screameater let out a sigh of relief and left the throne room, foal still in his tendrils.

He brought the sleeping infant into his study room. He cleaned his desk of papers and quills and laid the foal gently on the desk, as not to wake it up. He then grabbed and put on a bronze necklace with an emerald jewel in the center he liked to call the Necklace of alteration. He thought for a moment, and then decided that since the child was from a swampy region, he should give him amphibious features to enhance his usefulness. So he gave the colt moist, clammy skin, fins on the back of his hooves, a long, sticky tongue, strong hind legs and replaced his mane with a fish-like sail.

As the infant yawned and woke up, it seemed not to mind its new, twisted form and attempted the even hop, going four feet in the air. Screameater quickly grabbed the amphibipony before it hit the ground. The foal then started to coo and tried to touch the dark prince’s face. This made Screameater acknowledge that the child wore a blue medallion. I was in the shape of a blueberry and had the name “Blubayou” which the malign pony had a feeling was his name. Screameater then officially decided to adopt the foal as his own, keeping the name but getting rid of the medallion, keeping it in a drawer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screameater then refocused from his sudden flashback by slapping himself with a tendril. He then cackled to himself in joy. He knew he had an advantage against the Elements of Harmony if they tried to stop him. Then suddenly, Blubayou came back in.

“Master? Which cloak looks better on moi? Black or blue?” The amphibipony innocently asked Screameater, interrupting his cackle.

“YOU’LL BE BLACK AND BLUE IF YOU DON’T LEAVE NOOOOOOW!!!!” Screameater screamed/squeaked in pure rage. His tentacles doubled in size and started flailing about madly.

“Yes sir.” Blubayou sheepishly answered as he trotted away.

When his minion finally left, he did some relaxing breathing exercises to calm him down. He then closed his eyes, put his left forehoof on his chin and “tsk tsked”.

“The things I put up with to gain an advantage.” Was the last thing he said in utter annoyance as he got off of his throne and went on his way to his living quarters.