• Published 15th Jan 2012
  • 8,389 Views, 362 Comments

Whooves, Doctor of Psychology - nowego



Doctor Whooves is assigned to Ponyville to assess the mental health of the Mane 6.

  • ...
15
 362
 8,389

Chapter 17: Day 17

Day 17

A hoof jabbed me in the stomach, shocking me into the world of the living.

“W-what the...” I wheezed, doubled over in the bed. Vaguely, I was aware of a flurry of activity around me.

I struggled to sit up, blinking in the light. “Ditzy?”

“Oh, great! You’re up!” She flew across the room again, grabbing her mail satchel and stuffing it full of letters. “I’m kinda late so see that Dinky gets to school and I love you-”

“Did something kick me?” I interrupted.

She stopped momentarily, looking at me. “I’m so sorry! I guess I kind of panicked when I saw the clock... and I really am late!” She spoke in long, unbroken breaths. With a quick peck on the cheek, she dashed out of the room, trailing letters in her airborne wake.

Hey, a hoof from a marefriend is better than an alarm clock any day.

I got to my hooves and loped out into the kitchen, where Dinky was rubbing her eyes.

“Good morning.”

“Hi Whooves!” She blinked. “Wait, you stayed over?”

“Uh... yeah.” I tried to sound informal. She might as well know.

“Oh. Cool.”

I love this filly.

“So what do you usually eat for breakfast?”

“Um, oatmeal mostly.”

Oatmeal. Surely I can handle oatmeal.

A minute later, I found myself juggling two pots, three measuring cups, and a plethora of ingredients besides. I staggered to keep my balance, grunting at the effort. “In oatmeal? Seriously?”

“Hey, I’m just reading the recipe.”

“Yeah, yeah.” A spice jar filled with cinnamon slipped, falling directly into the bubbling potion. “Oh bu-”

I cleared my throat. “Buckets.”

Depositing the rest of the cooking paraphernalia, I fished the jar out with a ladle and scooped up two bowls, depositing them on the table.

“Don’t feel like you have to eat this... stuff. But it’s the best I can do.”

Dinky experimentally licked the end of her spoonful, before engulfing the better half of the spoon and pulling it back out again slowly, spotless.

“Wow, that really has a pop to it I never noticed before.”

Note to self: pick up some more cinnamon for Ditzy.

As I started on mine, the purple filly cleaned her entire bowl in a stunningly large lick, proceeding to her room. She emerged shortly after, dragging her heavy pack after her.

“Here, let me-”

“I got it.”

“Okay... guess I’ll see you later sometime then.”

“Okie dokie!” she said, hugging my leg quickly before setting off out the door to school.

“Bye Dinky!”

“Bye Daddy!”

I froze in the doorway, watching the young unicorn bounce out of sight, oblivious to her slip. As she crested the hill, I sank to my haunches.

In the kitchen, the oatmeal cooled.

It wasn’t so much the fact that she said it that shocked me. Rather, the idea of hearing it directed at me period had given me a stiff jolt of just what exactly I was getting into. I’m not just making a commitment to Ditzy. I’m making one to her family.

A smile tugged at my face. Not ‘getting into.’ Just ‘getting.’

“Ditzy, Dinky...” From a reclusive place in my mind, something added, ...Sparkler.

I had to admit, I was curious about her. I didn’t really know why, either. I haven’t met her, and I don’t have any relation to her. I pushed the matter out of my mind, still not sure why it appeared.

Alas, the day was wearing on. I cleaned up the dishes (an extremely exciting activity that I’m sure you want to hear all about) and locked up. Before returning my saddlebags to their place, I made sure to remove the bubble bath, retrieved from Bonbon’s, stashing it under the bathroom sink. Confident it would be found eventually, I nodded and turned to leave.

I got exactly three steps before a gratingly familiar voice attacked my ear’s inner workings.

Deja Vu.

“Is this going to become a regular thing?” I asked, not paying much attention to what she had been launching into previously.

“As long as you’re toying with Ditzy, yes,” she snapped in reply.

I grunted, resuming my trek. “Good to know.”

Carrot Top took a place next to me, berating me as we went along. Eventually, the ear unfortunate enough to be on her side began to twitch in annoyance at the nonstop volume abuse.

We arrived at my door, and as far as my ears were concerned, she hadn’t stopped for a breath the entire time. “Have a nice day,” I said, courteously, before slamming the door in her face.

Sheesh. I bet she can give a good speech though.

“She’s quite long-winded, isn’t she?” A familiar voice belonging to a certain unicorn. I started back, tripping over a pair of galoshes.

“R-rarity? What are you... I mean, I suppose you’re here for another session?”

She reclined in her own bright crimson couch. “Did you really think you were getting out of it that easily? Please. I sit in a shop and sew most of the day. I wasn’t going to forget, darling.”

“Yeah, well, it was worth a shot.” I sat down. “So what’s eating you?”

“You’ve been getting information. And not just on Twilight. Somehow, I’m not sure at the moment, but you are getting personal information.”

“The nature of my mission has granted me access to some areas not available to the everyday pony.”

“Of course... but what kind of coalition would even collect that information?”

“It’s more like... an individual. And please don’t ask anything more, because I can’t tell you.”

Rarity stuck out her lower lip, but didn’t press the issue. “Fine. But why would you need information about me when your target is Twilight?”

I coughed and looked at the ceiling.

She huffed. “It’s a clear invasion of privacy.” I got an overly detailed view of the bottom of her nose as she looked down it.

I wanted to say that for someone so interested in other ponys’ affairs, she was awfully concerned about her own being protected. I’d learned to keep my mouth shut by now, however. Carrot Top just put me in a bad mood.

“I don’t expect you to trust me, but I can assure you that the source knows what they’re doing, and they don’t take it lightly.”

“They shared it with you, didn’t they?”

I blinked.

“Oh...” She put her hoof up to her mouth. “I’m sorry. That was completely uncalled for.”

“No, you’re right. The only thing protecting it, as far as you know, is doctor-patient confidentiality.”

“It was still unsuitable for civilized conversation.”

“Sometimes I think the equestria would be better off if everybody just said what was on their minds. Assuming cultural preconceptions about being polite were also dropped, of course.”

“That wouldn’t happen.”

“Yeah. It would be a bloodbath.”

An irregular silence penetrated the room, giving Rarity a chance she had apparently been waiting for to change the topic.

“Um, Doctor Whooves?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you remember our little incident at the spa?”

“Um... yes...” I was worried that I should be worried.

“Can I ask you something?” she asked, batting her eyelashes.

“You just did, but go ahead and ask another.”

She rolled her eyes. “Aloe and Lotus need to get out.”

“Uh, Rarity, I really don’t think dating is-”

“Not a date, you presumptuous-” She cut herself off, composing her complexion again before restarting. “Not a date, Doctor. In fact, rather the opposite. Since you’re dating Ditzy, I can assume you’re safe. Do you know any other stallions that would be able to comprehend what I’m trying to prove here, and could go along with it?”

“So, let me get this straight,” I started, looking at Rarity. “You want to set up a ‘not-date’ date to prove that not all stallions want to date but you have to find suitable applicants that actually live up to this?”

“Yes, something like that.”

I facehooved. “Wouldn’t it be easier to go have a girls’ night out or something?”

“You’re missing the point, darling. We need to exaggerate normalcy so that the average comes out accurate.”

I pinched the bridge of my nose. “I don’t think you really-”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make all the arrangements. All you have to do is find somepony who fits the bill to go with you!”

“Uh, Rarity...?”

The door clicked shut.

Look at the good side, I told myself. Rarity’s not interfering with Lotus and Aloe’s perceptions anymore. Of course, now you’re... no. Go find Rarity, tell her you can’t be volunteered for this kind of stuff.

“Yeah. Okay. I can do that.” I said. Later.

But right about then, I had a different mare which needed addressed. I adjusted my saddlebags and headed out towards Colgate and Lucky’s apartments.

To my surprise, Lucky was up and waiting at the entrance, prancing in place like a nervous school filly.

“Hey, Lucky. What drug you out of bed before noon?”

“Doc! Well, it’s... Colgate. She’s fine... but she’s got me worried anyway.”

“Why? What’s going on?” Why can’t the world just stay safe for a few minutes?

“Well, last night I noticed she had some bandages around her hooves. She said it was an accident, but... I don’t know. I made sure she was asleep before I left her last night.”

“Oh, don’t worry about the cuts,” I said, relieved it wasn’t something more serious.

Lucky stared, jaw slightly slack.

“I mean, I was there when it happened,” I clarified, rolling my eyes. “She stepped on some glass at the hospital.”

“Oh...” He nodded slightly. “That makes much more sense.”

“So, what did you have worked out for today?”

“Uh... I guess we’ll talk about it when she comes out.”

“Huh?”

“She told me through the door she wanted to talk you first. She wouldn’t say much after that.”

I forced my way past the other stallion. “Why didn’t you say so?!”

Dashing up the stairs quickly, I put my ear against Colgate’s door. Lucky stood behind me, maintaining a strict silence.

I knocked softly. “Colgate?”

There was a short pause. “Whooves? That you?”

“Yeah. You want to talk?”

A few hoofsteps could be heard through the door, followed by a sliding latch. The door opened enough for me to slip inside. Just before it closed, I looked back to see Lucky looking partly sorry and partly irritated at being left out.

Once I was fully inside, Colgate kicked the door shut again with a rear hoof, trotting back towards her bed. Not much else looked like it had been disturbed. The unicorn mare curled up on top, tail between her legs and back to me.

I was about to say something, but she beat me to it.

“I can’t spend today with Lucky.”

“Ooookay. Does this have something to do with last night? ‘Cause I thought you were enjoying yourselves when I left.”

“Yeah... last night... last night was fun.”

“I’m sorry... I’m confused.”

“Don’t you get it?” she said, flipping onto her other side to look at me. “It’s happening again.”

Keenly aware of the knife edge I was walking on, I remained silent, hoping she would continue.

She pulled a pillow over her head. The next words came muffled. “I think I like him.”

“Colgate...” I sat on the edge of the bed. “Maybe I didn’t make this clear. There’s nothing wrong with liking a pony, and it’s a good idea to get to know somepony when you think you might. You just needed to... give them more time. Love someone before you love someone, if you know what I mean.”

“...it’s too dangerous.”

“Don’t break an existing friendship because of a possibility that you don’t know even exists yet. Trust me, if Lucky is anything at all like me, he has no idea what you’re thinking right now.”

She laughed a little, half-heartedly, but came out from under her fluffy refuge. “Of course. He’s a stallion. Stallions have thick skulls.”

“They’re convenient when they cause our mares to whack ‘em.”

“Don’t worry, Doc. I’m not hitting nobody that doesn’t deserve it.”

“That’s a double negative.”

She reached out and gave me a mock smack on the forehead. She let a small smile out, before turning serious again. “If I get attached to somepony, though, it’ll be worse when it falls apart.”

“First off, that should be an ‘if,’ not a ‘when.’ Secondly...” I got off the bed to meet level with her eyes. “The heart is a muscle too. It needs exercise, but if you stress it, you’ll sprain it.”

“Who said that?”

“Uh... me.”

She blinked. “Oh. I mean, it’s not that great.”

“Look. Lucky can be trusted... considering he has no idea about your interests. That means all you have to take care of is yourself. Can I trust you to do that?”

Colgate nodded slowly and slightly.

“Well okay then.” I offered her a hoof, which she accepted and used to pull herself out of the bed. She hurriedly put her mane into place.

“And hey,” I started, stopping her before the door. “If you’re ever feelin’ low again, you come to me. As long as I’m around, somepony still cares about you.”

She hesitated at her reply. Eventually she nodded, stuttering, “C-can I hug you? I mean, I understand if you’re not comfortable with that...”

Without reluctance, I trotted up to her and wrapped my forelegs around her. I felt a shiver of relief.

“You’ve grown...”

“I think I just realized how bucked up life is, that’s all,” she replied.

“Same thing, sometimes.”

Lucky’s concerned voice broke into the room through the door. “Hey, is anypony in there? Y’all still alive? Hello?”

I opened the door. “Your timing is terrible.”

“It is, isn’t it?” added Colgate, following me out.

I rubbed my hoof back and forth on the floor. “So, uh...”

“I’ll take her for the day.”

I looked at Lucky. “Are you sure, mate? I don’t want to interfere with-”

“Naw, don’t worry about it. Like I’ve said, my shift is a night one, so it works out well.”

I nodded. “I’ll be on my way, then.”

I left the apartments behind, curving toward a nearby restaurant to retrieve some lunch, which my stomach was reminding me was overdue. I trotted between umbrella-covered tables, all of which seemed to be full at the time. Spotting a table with only one pony at it, head buried deep in a menu, I trotted up.

“Excuse me, would you mind so much if I shared your table, seeing as how the rest are fully occupied right now?”

The mare dropped the menu flat on the table, my jaw following closely after.

“Not at all,” replied Carrot Top with a sinister grin to match her tone. I sighed, but took the seat anyway. When I didn’t respond immediately, the orange-maned mare pushed. “What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?”

I wanted to say, Nope, the cat’s napping now after such an extensive session of grooming your mane with its claws this morning, but wasn’t going to fall to the bait that easily.

“Good day,” I said, opting for a classy alternative. I picked up a menu, pretending to peruse despite already knowing what I wanted. She frowned and picked hers back up as well.

“I’ll give you one thing, bucko. You’re sure persistent.”

“Why thank you.”

“That’s a bad thing right now.”

“‘Persistent’ is a neutral term, and changes favor based on context. And perspective.”

“Sorry. Right now, it’s a bad thing. Period.”

I folded my menu. “Okay, sure. Consider this then: it takes a good deal of persistence to keep harping on me.”

Carrot Top’s mouth opened and closed like a loose hinge. “...that’s just muddling the issue.”

“I like to think of it as being thorough and holistic.”

For once, she didn’t reply. I let the silence continue, as I didn’t have too many experiences of that when she was around.

“Question for a question,” she started suddenly.

“Uh... okay.” It wasn’t really stated as a question anyway.

“Well, I guess you’ve proven you’re willing to stick around. But I’m still not buying it, cause high-society Canterlot types like you just don’t go for hometown mares like Ditzy. So... why are you?”

I picked at a developing splinter on the table. “There’s been more literature on that subject than any other, and yet I’d say it’s still the least understood phenomenon out there.” Cliche, but honestly I couldn’t come up with any other reasons on the spot.

Carrot Top wasn’t buying it either, judging by the raised eyebrow.

“Look, I moved here from Canterlot, I bumped into her, and we’re dating now. End of story.”

“You didn’t leave last night.”

“Yeah, okay, happily dating. So?”

“So she has a foal and a heart of glass. If you break it, I’ll turn you into colored rain.”

“But you’re not a pegasus,” I started, but shut my mouth again as quickly I had opened it.

Carrot Top looked unimpressed. Gee, this feels like a conversation I should be having as a teen with a filly’s parents on a first date.

“Okay, okay. So you’ve known her a while and want to keep her protected. Ever consider maybe getting to know suitors would be a better option than scaring them all off?

“It worked, didn’t it?”

“That depends. I’m still here.”

“Yeah, well...”

“And where exactly did Dinky come from, hmm?”

The mare got to her hooves, leaning forward till she was in my face. “Don’t ever mention him again. Clear?”

“...as a smoke filled chimney.”

Her left eye twitched.

“I’m not getting serious without knowing what happened. And I’ll be asking her, not a secondhoof witness.”

Her face remained static.

“Don’t worry. I’ll still be there, no matter what happened.” I stood as well, turning to leave. “I suppose I’ll see you later.”

Dang, now I don’t have any lunch, I thought as I trotted out into the street. Maybe I’ll just pop by the market and pick up something to make myself.

I trotted between the stalls, trying to decide between celery stalks or just skipping it altogether. I looked up at a price board, nearly tripping over a short figure in the process.

“I’m terribly sor- Spike?”

The scaly fellow stood up and dusted off himself and his bag. “Watch where you’re going, mister!”

“Of course! Apologies...” I helped him up. Mumbling under his breath, he began refilling the bag. I couldn’t help but notice daisies, lettuce, and bread, among other things. Ah, what I wouldn’t give for a daisy sandwich- wait. Oh yes, this’ll work.

“Say, I guess you’re headed back to the library with that load, eh?”

“Uh, yes. Why?”

“I do believe Twilight had some business she wanted to talk to be about... do you mind if I accompany you?”

“Sure. Just watch the claws this time.”

I walked behind him, keeping a close eye on the edible goods. Hey, is it my fault if I can’t bake? Well, maybe just a little.

“Twi, I’m back. And this guy here said you wanted to see him,” announced Spike as we entered the unconventional (and highly flammable, I might add) library.

“I don’t rememb-” started the Bearer of Magic, coming down the stairs. She stopped when she saw me. “Oh. Oh!” A brilliant smile sprang onto her face. “Let me go get my checklist!”

She sped back up the stairs, giggling.

“Am I supposed to get any of this?” asked Spike.

“I don’t, and it’s my job to.”

“Oh.” Spike took the grocery bag into the kitchen. “Uh, you’re going to be around for a bit I suppose?”

“If her lists are anything like her love of books...”

Spike blinked.

“That’d be a yes. A most definite yes.”

“Right. I’ll make another sandwich then.”

At that moment, Twilight came bounding down the steps, three at a time, with a large scroll–the same one she had had back at the hospital–following after her in a haze of magic. Seeing it up close, I noticed the fine print. Hmm... this could take a while, even if we don’t finish it. I opted for a comfortable cushion near a window, where I could feel a nice spring breeze.

Twilight, having acquired a notebook, quill, and a pair of reading glasses in her violet aurora, settled down opposite me. “Okay. First, the disclaimer.”

“Disclaimer? Is this new?”

“Oh, yes. It... wasn’t my idea. Anyway...” She cleared her throat. “Participants–that’s you, Doctor–are free to abstain from answering any question that they wish or would have legal ramifications. Additionally, they may leave the study entirely whenever they wish. Participants must volunteer their informed consent.”

“Yes, yes, of course.”

“Oh good,” sighed the bookworm, wiping some sweat from her brow in relief. “I was afraid that that official-sounding stuff would scare ponies off.”

“It won’t, not for anypony that actually understands it, leastways.”

Twilight nodded. “Let’s get the small stuff out of the way then. Date... duh, today. Type... earth pony. Name... Whooves... er, what’s your first name?”

I waved a hoof. “Pass.”

“Gosh, Whooves, if you can’t handle this... I mean, we haven’t even made it to the ideologically sensitive stuff yet. Are you sure-”

“Just move on to the next question, please.”

“I think I’ll just skip ahead to the real part.” She rolled out a few feet. “Tumdeedumdum... Aha! here we are. What’s your current relationship status, and are you satisfied if you do have one?”

In case that wasn’t enough to start a show, the questions developed on each other, getting deeper and more involved with each progressive one.

The plus side was that the ‘essay’ questions she’d take down for me, giving my mouth stamina for the rest of the day to come.

Spike came in at some point with two sandwiches, but Twilight’s went untouched. I ate mine in small increments, wanting to make it last (not only as a brake from nonstop answering, but also because they were actually very good. I daresay Spike can cook worth his weight).

After the better part of an hour of this, she finally let the questions drop temporarily. “That’s section one. All about the relationship. Second section is... is on... uh...”

She blushed slightly. “...on physical aspects.” She hastily added, “If you’re uncomfortable talking about this, we don’t have to. Really, it’s okay.”

“Oh I’m comfortable enough with it, but be honest with yourself. It sounds to me like you’re the one uncomfortable with it.”

“Uh... but... but I’m the researcher! I can’t be the one to pull out! That’s not how it’s done! It’s never done!”

“If it makes you feel any better, I won’t tell anypony.”

Twilight’s mouth hung for a second, before she refocused and flipped ahead, turning redder as she caught a few random questions. Eventually, she did find some questions pertaining more to her interests, and we dove into them for another hour or two, until my legs began to cramp. My interrogator got the hint when I began pacing, deciding to conclude her analysis for the time being.

I wanted a shower.

The dusty trot home didn’t help to alleviate that, either. Ignoring the rubble in the entryway for now, I skipped into the bathroom and cranked on the cold water. It cooled my overheating brain.

The Faithful Student never stayed on a campus like mine, apparently.

I made mental note to talk to Rarity about what she kept around the shop. Oh! talk to Rarity! Well... I suppose that’ll wait till tomorrow.

Refreshed and comfortable again, I slipped out of the shower. In my inbox, I found Ditzy had dropped off some journals and a postcard from my brother. It was a vague one, with just a picture of a sunset and no writing on the back. I shrugged and flicked it aside.

There wasn’t much in the journals either, but they kept me busy for half hour or so, when I happened to look up at the clock. My stomach rumbled; while daisy sandwiches are excellent, they are rather light. Picking my way through the plaster, I trotted out my door and directly over to my friendly neighborhood fillyfoolers. Lyra let me in and turned back to the kitchen, where Bonbon was hard at work with a rolling pin, leaning over the counter in an unconscious attempt to use her body weight to her advantage.

“What in Equestria are you making?” The dough-ish material was too thin to be any kind of bread.

“Whooves! Perfect timing. See if you can’t get these properly flat,” she returned, hoofing me the marble pin and wiping her brow.

As I followed orders, I continued, “What is this? It seems off color and wetter than most dough I’ve seen you make.”

She laughed. “It’s not a baked confection. They’re noodles.”

Even Lyra looked up from her magazine at this.

“Noodles. We’re making noodles.”

“Well don’t worry; I’ll put them in some other dish before we eat them of course!”

“Huh.” I looked down at the sheet. “I thought these were made in the Far East, along with the flying rugs and bamboo.”

“What? No. They’re mostly eggs and flour really.”

I slid the now-flat sheet back to the earth pony mare, who began slicing it.

“So why are we spending half an hour making these when you can buy them in bulk for the price of potting soil?” asked Lyra.

“Yeah. I was wondering that too.”

Bonbon sighed. “I’ll never teach you two what an art cooking can be, will I?”

I nodded. I know a lost cause when I see one.

“Hey,” said Lyra, feigning insult at Bonbon’s remark. She poked her in the ribs playfully. “Just because you have talent doesn’t mean you get to brag about it.”

“Talent is learned, deary.”

“So being able to learn is learned?”

Bonbon nodded. “You don’t think the Apple family has related cutie marks just because they’re blood relatives, do you?”

“Chicken or the egg,” I interrupted. “Did you get your cutie mark because you were naturally good at baking sweets, (and hence practiced), or did you get good because you practiced (and hence got your cutie mark)?”

“The possibilities...” wondered Lyra, staring off into space. “I could have had a cutie mark in-”

Bonbon had pounced on Lyra, shoving her hoof up the unicorn’s mouth. “Don’t you dare say that out loud.”

“Well, I think I’ll go set the table.” I excused myself.

The table was excruciatingly perfectly set. I took special care with the napkins especially. When the couple returned, Bonbon came with a steaming pot (presumably having absorbed the noodles), with Lyra following behind, wincingly holding her horn.

“She knows her pressure points,” hissed Lyra, slipping into her chair. Bonbon pretended not to hear.

For the next ten minutes, slurping of soup was the only sound to be heard. The two mares would occasionally steal glances at each other when the other wasn’t looking.

Bonbon cleared her throat. “So, how’s Colgate doing?”

“She’s... sorting things out. She’ll be okay; she’s got a lot of new stuff to deal with though.”

“...like?” prompted Lyra.

“Like figuring out the difference between lust and love. And knowing what to do with each.”

They shared their first look at the table thus far. It was short, but enough for me to see their worry.

“Don’t get me wrong,” I amended. “There’s nothing wrong with the physical side of a relationship, as long as the emotional side is there too. However, having only the former can be... unhealthy.”

Bonbon set her spoon down with unusual slowness. “Whooves.” She hesitated. “In your honest professional opinion, are Lyra and I-”

“Woah, girl. Slow down. You two have been together for, what, five years now?”

Lyra nodded.

“Not to mention parent troubles, among other pressures. Back in Canterlot, I saw dozens of couples married five times as long as what you have been, and yet aren’t even close to what you have. You have each other to rely on, and that’s more than most can say.”

Bonbon looked down at her mostly empty bowl. “Thank you,” she mumbled.

Lyra leaned over, wrapping a hoof around her marefriend’s.

Nopony said anything. After a few moments of that, I pushed my empty bowl forward. “Thank you, for the fine cuisine. I should probably be going now...”

Lyra got up and followed me to the door. Safely out of earshot of the kitchen, I turned to the mint-green mare. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean... back there with Bonbon... to...”

“...make her cry?”

“Wha- She was crying? I... I mean...”

“Relax, Doc. It was a good kind. She doesn’t get much positive feedback outside of me. I don’t think I’ve seen her get emotional like that about something since.... well, in a while.”

“O-okay.” I still don’t get mares, but I’ll take what I can get. “Take care.”

“You too.”

Back at my house, I opened the west-side window, resting my head on the sill. I watched as Celestia set her sun, setting the horizon on fire and turning the sky immediately above it green.

It takes dedication, I thought, to do that every day. Yet, to her, I’m sure it’s easy. Thoughtless. Relaxing even.

True relationships are the same way. For those ponies you are close to, you don’t need to tip-hoof on ice. They’ll listen to what you have to say and thank you for it if it’s good, or forgive you if it’s bad. That’s the difference between a friend and an acquaintance.

I sighed, retreating back to my phonograph as the sun winked out, the moon emerging in the east. I set a fresh record spinning.

And that’s one more to add to the records. That should cover it for tonight.

Goodnight.