• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 1,213 Views, 9 Comments

HiE: After - WezaQ



What if the human didn't go home?

  • ...
2
 9
 1,213

Epilogue

Epilogue

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Ponyville library, as was to be expected, sat silently near the center of town. Inside, a purple unicorn was reading a rare book from Canterlot detailing some obscure piece of pony history. She sighed, placing a bookmark inside so she could return to her work later, and closed the book.

“Spike!” she called into the deeper recesses of the library. After a few moments waiting, to no avail, she grew a frown. “Spike!” she called again, louder this time.

A door leading to a set of stairs banged open as a young dragon rushed out into the lobby. “Sorry Twilight, I was at the other end of the basement trying to organize the restricted tomes like you wanted.”

The unicorn's face flushed in embarrassment before she responded. “Oh, right, I forgot you you were doing that today.” She smiled warmly as an apology before continuing. “I was just wondering if you had taken care of the groceries for the week? It's almost dinner time and we wouldn't want to be stuck going out since the pegasi have some rain scheduled for tonight.”

“Sure did! Also there was a sale on celery so I was able to get something extra for desert.” Spike replied with a huge grin.

Before Twilight could respond she heard a pair of familiar voices coming from outside. Smiling, she rushed over to the front entrance and opened it in time to see a stallion and a filly giggling as the headed towards her.

“-and, and then, Miss Cheerilee told us about Nightmare Moon! Some of the others were scared, but I wasn't. Then you won't believe what she said! She said Nightmare Moon was really Princess Luna. Did you know that daddy?”

The stallion chuckled a bit. “Oh course I did sweetheart. Now did Miss Cheerilee say what happened to her?”

“Uh-huh. She said Princess Celestia locked her in the moon for a thousand years! And then, when she came back, Momma used the Elements of Harmony to fix her!” The filly was now jumping up and down in excitement.

“I wasn't alone honey, your aunts were there too. In fact, if it hadn't been for them, Nightmare Moon would have won.” Twilight interrupted.

“No way Momma!” said the filly, shaking her head as she ran up to her mother. “You're the bestest, most strongest unicorn in Equestria. NO! In the whole world! I'm sure you coulda beat her even without the elements.” The filly had started jumping in excitement again with a grin plastered across her face.

“Heheh, maybe.” replied Twilight, rolling her eyes. “Anyway, go put your bags in your room and wash up. Spike and I will be starting dinner soon.”

“Awww, but I was hoping to go adventuring for my cutie mark!” came the whining of the filly.

The stallion leaned down, nudging his daughter inside with a smile as he replied. “Come on sweetheart. Tomorrow's Saturday, so you can spend all day crusading with your friends for your cutie marks.”

“Daddy! I told you, we're not 'Crusading' we're 'Adventuring'!” said the filly, frowning and stomping a hoof in frustration.

The stallion chuckled again. “My mistake. Now listen to your mom and go get ready for dinner. You can play tomorrow.”

The filly stomped off across the library in frustration, all the while grumbling about the importance of cutie marks and how unfair things were.

Twilight turned back and nuzzled her husband. “So, how was work?”

He sighed. “Hard. I mean sure I sorta know how the stuff from my world worked, at least in general, but that doesn't mean I had any experience building any of it. Right now we're trying to find a way to recreate cars, without the fossil fuel of course. If we can get these thing running off magic batteries or something similar, it could help so many ponies. Imagine how much easier it would be being able to travel faster than a wagon and not having to stop for a rest or to switch drivers!” His eyes were wide, as was his smile, as he stared into the possible future of Equestria.

Twilight waved a hoof in front of him to break his daydream before speaking. “You know you don't have to do all this. The Princesses said they would be more than happy to give you a living stipend after everything that happened. Or at least a position in the castle, maybe as an advisor or something?”

He was already shaking his head before she finished. “I told you before, just like I told them, I don't want to be just given stuff, I want to earn it. I helped cause it was the right thing to do, not because I wanted some kind of reward. Besides, I don't see you trying to take advantage of your connections to the Princesses, and you've saved Equestria way more times than I have.” the stallion finished with a smirk and a wink.

Twilight blushed with an embarrassed smile. “Well, yeah, but it's kind of my duty. I'm Princess Celestia's personal student and the bearer of one of the Elements of Harmony. You're not, heck you're not even from this world! You could have easily just gone home and ignored everything.”

“But I didn't. I may not believe in destiny, or fate, but I was still brought here for a reason. I like this world Twilight, and if it needs saving I won't just stand by and do nothing.” he smiled again, this time with a small spark in his eyes. “So, what's for dinner, I'm starving!”

As he walked past, Twilight suppressed a giggle before closing the door.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“'The Crystal Heart has returned. Use the light and love within you to ensure King Sombra does not.' said your aunt Cadence, using her magic to toss the Crystal Heart into the center of the city, just below the castle. As she did, the crystal ponies all bowed down, sending the warmth of their love and hope into it. Then it spun, releasing a wave of magical energy across the Crystal Empire, destroying the dark crystals and King Sombra, and spreading that same love and hope across all of Equestria.”

The filly sat in her bed for a few moments, her mouth open and her eyes wide with awe. “Di- did Momma and Spike really do all that?”

The stallion chuckled as he leaned in to nuzzled his daughter. “They certainly did. Now go to sleep. You have plenty of crusa- I mean adventuring to do tomorrow, and you need your rest.” With that he shut off the lights and stepped out into the hallway, making sure to leave the door open just a crack, before heading into the main bedroom.

“Which story did you tell her this time?” came a voice as he stepped inside.

“The Crystal Empire, but don't worry, I left out the stuff about it being a test and how freaked out you were.” he replied with a grin.

Twilight rolled her eyes as she placed her book on the nightstand and repositioned herself for bed. “I still find it weird that you watched all that stuff my friends and I did as a, what did you call it? 'TeeVee show'?”

“Hey, I still find it weird I'm even here, and a pony.” said the stallion as he climbed into bed opposite Twilight.

“Do you ever miss it? Your world I mean.”

“ ...sometimes. I mean there was plenty of stuff that sucked, but there was also some really good stuff too. I wouldn't mind seeing some of my old friends and family, or having hands again, heh. And I'd love to see the reactions from some of the other bronies. I'm sure quite a few would freak out and try to find a way here if they knew it was possible.”

Twilight was silent. Her head was tilted down slightly and facing away from him.

He cleared his throat and continued, “In the end, I'd love to visit, especially if you could come and see some of the more amazing things, but I couldn't stay there. This is my home now, and there's nowhere I'd rather be.”

Twilight was still quiet, and as he looked at her he noticed a tear.

“Twilight? Are you okay?”

She sniffed before responding. “I just... I worry. We never figured out how you got here. Don't get me wrong I'm happy, and I love you but...”

“ ...but what?”

Twilight turned towards him, her face a mask of fear and confusion. “Wha-what, i-if...” She gulped, trying to steady her nerves. “What if, someday, whatever brought you here sends you back? What if it was a spell with a limited duration? What if one day you just aren't there? I don't know what I'd do! What would I tell our daughter? How could I-”

Before she could continue he had wrapped her in a strong embrace. “Twilight. Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I promise.”

“B-but, what if-”

“Shhhhh, it's okay.” He pushed her back to arms length, looking her straight in the eye. “Even if something does happen, I'll come back. Nothing could keep me from you or our daughter. I love you two more than anything I left behind. Besides...” He grinned at her, once again with a spark in his eyes. “If there's one truth I've learned, both for Equestria and back on Earth, it's that love can conquer all. You know I'd do anything to get back here, just as I'm sure you'd to everything in your power to bring me back. Don't worry Twilight. Our love would lead us back to each other. I know it!”

Twilight finally returned his smile, her fears alleviated for the time being. Using her magic to turn off the light she quietly snuggled down into bed, leaning into her husband's embrace as she drifted to sleep. “I love you.”

He smiled. “I love you too.”

Comments ( 8 )

That was an... interesting read :twilightsheepish:

There was only one or two small mistakes, but nothing to complain about, since the story was good....

If only you actually made a story showing beforehand, because reading this one makes me wonder what the whole adventure was about with the human becoming a pony and his adventure that he was fated to have; or perhaps... that was your true hidden attentions that you had for us readers... again, a nice read there :twilightsmile:

I remember this story. Doesn't matter how I came back here, but it's quite funny. At the time, I thought I didn't know if I liked it or not and wasn't sure what to say in a comment.

And now that I'm back here, I figured out that all I remember about that story is:
- that it was a very good concept
- that I have a genuine smile on my face when I think about the story

So I guess it's enough for me to say that you wrote a good story, one who only brings back good memories.

On the details part (because I read it once again):
- I would like to know what the thought was behind marrying (or making a couple) out of the human/pony and Twilight.
- I feel strange that the human/pony doesn't show any kind of fear about leaving Equestria (well, he does by hiding it behind confidence) when we get a "for the time being" from Twilight's part. Is it conscious? What were you aiming for?
- minor detail, but, being a Spike fanatic (well, maybe not fanatic), would it have been possible to give Spike a bigger part than just being a pretext for the introduction of the story? Or was that a symbol I didn't understand? (Like, for example, Spike being the old life and the daughter being the new life)

In any case, I wanted to tell you that your story is from the kind that brings a smile when you think about it. That felt important enough to make a comment about it.

“But I didn't. I may not believe in destiny, or fate, but I was still brought here for a reason. [...]

Isn't this sentence contradictory? :rainbowhuh:

5511874 He is saying he believes in free choice over predestination, but he still thinks he ended up in Equestria, not by chance, but because of some outside influence. It's like a person believing they will change the world someday. It doesn't mean they are fated to do so, it's their choice which will affect things, but they still think they will make an important choice. Pure destiny removes the freedom of choice.

You just finished every HIE I've read on hiatus. Good job, you probably put them to shame too.

6572453
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment