• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 1,966 Views, 59 Comments

The New Brotherhood of Darkness - JeckParadox



The greatest villain of another realm has been exiled to another universe, one that appears to be filled with magical creatures in their own right. Makuta seeks the aid of King Sombra and Nightmare Moon to conquer the new universe he found himself in

  • ...
3
 59
 1,966

The New Dark Lunar Crystal Empire of Makuta

"Great Spirit, I must ask you, why did you give so much power to Teridax? I think I understand why you created the Makuta, but why give them the strength to almost overthrow you?"

"They did overthrow me. And banished me, nearly killed me as well."

"You are the Great Spirit, you cannot lose or do wrong."

"Of course I can Axonn. Of course I can. You need to doubt me more. That was what Makuta's secret was. He wasn't all-powerful like I am. He was simply a good ruler. He knew how to make cities and peoples successful. Even without my power he seemed like a better ruler. I think that was what started his bid for power. When the Barraki tried to conquer me, I destroyed them, but Makuta and I questioned if I was the best leader for us all. He decided he would be a better one... and I agreed with him, but I didn't relinquish my power or my position. I just gave him a little more, and then spent my years free to do whatever I want with less responsibility. And whenever he asked for more power I trusted him blindly and gave it... until the day he put me to sleep and tried to kill me."

"But Makuta is a good ruler?"

"Yes... for a while. But he went mad with power... or perhaps he felt that what he was doing was truly right, but he forgot his past vows, assaulted his brother and creator, and instilled unjust fear in the world's people. He was no longer a suitable ruler. If only he had been born with the power instead of having it thrusted upon him, or later on, without him having to kill and steal it."

"So, this is King Sombra's shield? Are you sure we can trust him? I can sense a huge amount of power hidden in the smoke."

"He's one of the worst villains in history, he conquered the crystal empire and was a major pain against our forces a millenia ago. One Unicorn versus the Equestrian military, back when we had a military... anyway, it's impressive, and he said that he was... a fan of mine."

"A 'fan'?"

"An admirer."

"Ohh, well, just keep an eye on him until he takes the oath to serve me."

"Why would he? Back in the glory days he was almost the living god of darkness. When I covered Equestria in eternal night the crystal ponies never noticed because he already kept them in the darkness and gave them their own light himself. He has more magical power than me... well, Luna, or Celestia at the time. After I... took control of my body for the first time I did everything I could to stay away from him, he's dangerous. But I think we have to trust him for now, if there's anywhere in the world that's safe from Celestia, it's Sombra's Crystal Empire."

"Hmm... call him inside."

"Alright." She turned to blue mist and spirited down the halls, eventually siding out of the door and reforming behind Sombra, who had been guiding them North. "King Sombra!"

"Ah, Queen Nightmare Moon! we're almost there."

"My ally would like to speak to you... and, well, don't be offended by his offer, but if it means anything, I took the same deal."

"What are you talking about?"

"Just come talk to him." And she flew back to the door, opening it with her magic, she would have to make it magic-proof someday... if they were still using the mish-mash. She dashed down the halls, Sombra easily keeping pace. She was impressed, he wasn't even being aided by his magic. This unicorn had stronger legs than any Earth Pony she had ever met, and they were natural. "Your legs are very fit, did you enchant them, or just train daily?"

She could have sworn that he blushed under the helmet and dark gray coat. "I have my own training regimen, but I regularly do magical check ups on myself, keeping myself as healthy as possible."

"And we're here!" The 'throne' room wasn't very spectacular. Just the chair and the control mechanisms, no windows or decoration yet... but honestly it was still a mash of stone and steel.

"King Sombra." Makuta greeted.

"I... haven't had the pleasure to know your name."

"I am Makuta Teridax. Lord of Shadow."

Sombra raised an eyebrow. And Nightmare looked nervously between the two. Makuta had made somewhat of a provocation after all. "I am King Sombra, Emperor of Shadow." He decided now was not a good time to back down if he was going to be accepted by these two. "And King of the Crystal Empire and it's outlying territories. You are currently guests in my country."

"Ah, of course. I thank you for your... hospitality. Now tell me Emperor, how does one obtain your title?"

Sombra didn't show any outward sign but he winced inside. He had really hoped it wouldn't come to this. "There is no greater master of shadows and darkness than I, in all of Equestria's recorded history. Perhaps Queen Nightmare Moon could be considered greater than I, but night isn't exactly the same thing as shadow, is it?"

"Hm. Do you control your own shadow?"

"Easily, I can become shadow, and control and consume others. I have mastered every art of darkness. I am the master of fear, shadow, dark crystals, corruption, and all black magics."

"Hm. So to obtain your title, I would have to show greater ability in those? I must say, I know nothing of this world's 'magic', but as for shadow..." Sombra collapsed to the ground, and he saw that his shadow had knelt to Makuta's. "dark crystals..." Sombra felt an incredible pain in his hooves but he didn't show any sign of pain. He could see the shadow of a black crystal consuming his legs, but they weren't of any kind he dealt with before. "...corruption..." Sombra's vision was dulling, he was actually dying from whatever Makuta was doing to him. He felt his magic writhing inside him, but somehow Makuta was keeping it inside Sombra. "... and, tell me Sombra, are you feeling fear?" Sombra didn't even notice what Makuta said, but not because of his ears going deaf from whatever 'corruption' is. His mind was racing, analyzing Makuta's magic. Doing experiments with his shadow magic. Ah, there it is! He freed himself from Makuta's magic and rose up, despite his hooves being frozen in place. He blazed with black fire for an instant, and he phased through the crystal, his magic located the 'corruption' microscopic robots. He captured them all in a dark bubble and ejected it from his chest. He then walked up to Makuta and gave a fanged smile. "What were you saying about 'fear'?" He launched a fear spell at Makuta, and frowned as Makuta didn't even flinch at his worst fear.

"That I am it's master." His eyes blazed and he made contact with Sombra's eyes. Sombra immediately bowed to Makuta, his magic fled deep inside him, and he couldn't keep his knees from shaking. He had never been more scared in his life. "Tell me, do you relinquish your title?"

Sombra almost said 'Yes! Of course! Please stop looking at me!' but he caught himself with what emotional control he had. And that was more than any other pony. "You... have a very powerful fear spell, but it would require an epic duel to settle this once and for all... but I think we've proven ourselves to each other quite well, haven't we? Queen Nightmare Moon said something about an offer?" Makuta simply stared at him, but Sombra felt the fear washing away.

"Yes. Become my son, you are one who is truly of the darkness, perhaps not it's ultimate master... but you have great shadow power and control. Would you like to become a Makuta, as Nightmare has? Makuta Sombra, it's a beautiful name, isn't it? Become my son, my brother, just as Nightmare has become my daughter, my sister. And pledge to follow me and act in my interest?"

Sombra blinked in surprise. This was a big decision... this wasn't just an alliance with a great power... this... this was like being in a family... unpleasant memories rose up inside him. This would be a lifetime commitment, becoming Makuta's son. And Nightmare Moon's... brother?

"I,,, I pledge, as long as our loyalty goes both ways. You and Nightmare must work as much in my interest as I do in yours."

Makuta smiled with his eyes. "Rise, Makuta Sombra, and lead us to our new home, the first territory belonging to the Brotherhood of Makuta in this world."

"Y-Yes." He spirited his way outside and flew into the darkness that covered his home. He saw that Nightmare Moon had followed him out. "Tell Makuta to continue heading North, I'll tell him when to turn."

"Alright... I'm surprised you accepted the deal to become his henchman."

"Henchman? We are brothers... or at least family now. Just as we are family now, Queen of the Night. We are either equal, or all gain something from whatever happens. If I follow Teridax's orders, then I gain from them as well from now on. We all share victories and losses from now on."

Nightmare frowned. "Makuta's in control, we aren't partners."

"We are allies though."

"Hm."

"Ugh! I can't believe this!"

"S-sorry Princess... he always showed me where to get the food... I checked, and it isn't there."

"Is he trying to starve us out now?" Shining Armor growled. "Does he still think we're hiding information?"

"I don't know... K-k-k-k-k-in-g-g S-s-som-br-bra... He left, a while ago, didn't leave me any directions..."

Cadence put on her most sympathetic look. "What's your name?"

"M-my name is Rhine, Princess...."

"Rhine, let us go. Please, we'll get the crystal heart and dispose of Sombra as soon as he gets back."

"What?!"

"Please, just get the key and bring it here."

"Princess! Please don't make me do this..."

"I'm not making you do anything, I have no power inside here, but if you let me out you will have helped save the Crystal Empire, the true Crystal Empire."

"Princess... I'm sorry... I can't."

"I understand, you have to think of your own well-being after all. Nopony would blame you."

"It's not like your'e a soldier after all. You never took an oath to protect the Kingdom even at the cost of your life." Shining Armor tossed in. "Your name was Rhine, isn't it? I trained a stallion by that name in the time I had him. You obviously aren't him though." Rhine winced and turned around.

Cadence put a hoof up toward Shining Armor's face, just barely able to touch his mane from where she stood on the bed. "That was a little harsh."

"If he has any sense of remaining duty, he'll do what he knows is right."

"And what is right, Shining Armor?" All three ponies in the room shivered at the sound of the voice, and held their breath as Sombra walked up to the guard.

"Shining Armor, he was Celestia's former captain of the guard, wasn't he?" Cadence let her mouth drop open as Nightmare Moon walked forward to stand by Sombra. "Well, I guess you wouldn't know."

"Yes I do, Shining Armor and Cadence have been kind enough to bring me up to speed on a millenia of Equestrian history. And Shining Armor personally trained my army for me before he stepped down."

"Ha! He 'stepped down' did he?" Nightmare bent down to look the two of them in the eyes. "Hello Cadence! My nice little niece! You've never met me before have you? A new Alicorn." She bared her fangs at the two of them. "I'm your Aunt Nightmare! What does that make you Captain? Nephew in law to Nightmare Moon?"

"H-how can you be alive?!" Shining Armor sputtered out. "My sister destroyed you!"

"Your sister sealed me. And then Luna caved in to her own weakness and accepted a giant force of pure darkness, which broke the seal."

Husband and Wife glared at Sombra. "What did you do to my Aunt Luna?!" Cadence growled.

"Nothing, it was all our new... hmm, Father's doing." He turned to Nightmare Moon. "I remember that some Equestrian gangs called the ring leader 'Father'. I think that would be acceptable now, especially now that we're part of a 'brotherhood'."

"Our 'Father' then, was the one who awakened me, or rather, Luna taking his mask."

Shining Armor was lost. "Mask?"

"So, Sombra, what are we doing with them?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, do you plan on keeping them prisoner forever? Or perhaps you have some kind of mind control spell to make them useful to us?"

"Hmm... Armor would need to keep his smarts and experience, for his magic and military smarts. That would be a complicated spell, I know a few, but they just leave them a mindless zombie."

"Hmm... I too would like to see how it would effect Cadence, truthfully she's nowhere near as powerful as me or Celestia, in a fight she would almost be on the same level as Armor, but I suppose that would be useful."

Cadence and Armor were too freaked out for words. Nightmare Moon was discussing how they would be brainwashed.

"There are other kinds of duties that require magic beside military. I for one am tired of keeping an entire city state running on my magic alone."

Nightmare's eyes widened. "What do you mean running it alone?"

"I have no allies among the Crystal Ponies. They are my slaves, not my subjects. I provide for them, protect them, and discipline them, but they don't keep the city running. I do, alone. It was one of the reasons I agreed so quickly to an alliance."

"In the hope that somepony could keep your empire running while you're away?"

"A babysitter for an entire empire, it sounds strange, but it's truly a job that requires intelligence, strength, and a huge amount of power and determination."

"Oh?" It was a new voice. Cadence struggled against the bars while Armor jumped downward to see through them as well. "Is that all you needed us for, Sombra?"

Cadence gasped as she took in Makuta. He walked on two legs, with gigantic steel feet, but his body hunched forward. Two arms of red metal came from opposite sides on the machine, and they seemed to hang there, dangling as he moved. But his face, that strange shape of metal with the emotional red and blue eyes, that face would haunt her nightmares. "Is... this your 'father'?" Shining Armor asked. "He's a strange creature."

"Tell me Sombra, who are these... ponies?"

"Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor. The former ruler and military leaders of the Crystal Empire, respectively."

"Why are they here?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why would you keep the ruler and a military leader alive?"

"They might be useful to us in the future, me and King Sombra were discussing a possible method of brainwashing them."

"Hmm... Sombra, tell me who they are exactly, anything I might need to know about them. What purpose would having them continue to exist pose?"

"Well, as I've said, I'm currently keeping the city running by myself... Having Princess Cadence or Shining Armor rule and control the city under me could be very beneficial."

"You'd put someone you've taken everything from put in a position of power?"

"I've done it before." He motioned to the shivering 'guard'. Cadence had almost forgotten about him.

"Who is he?"

"One of my slaves, a former soldier. He's been acting as guard for my only two prisoners."

"Hm." Makuta walked up to the terrified Crystal Pony and bent down, grabbing it's hoof. He lifted Rhine into the air and shook him a little, the former soldier let out a whimper. "We need to desperately remodel this entire system you have here Sombra. You can't have everything on the shoulders of one individual unless that Individual is an actual Great Spirit. Your guard is weak, incompetent, he fears his ruler justly, but he fears the prisoners he protects just as much. He's a general coward. Why did you hire him?"

"Chose him, he's one of my slaves. Also, he has done work for me successfully in the past."

Makuta looked at the shivering pony for another second before promptly dropping him. "Fair enough. But you need subjects, soldiers, builders, farmers, lords, and slaves. Just having one group will spell the end of a Kingdom."

"So what exactly would you have me do?"

"Walk with me." Makuta gave a smile with his eyes. He motioned for Nightmare Moon to follow and the three of them got out of earshot of the prisoners. "Give me a tour of the kingdom. Perhaps you could make me and Nightmare Moon citizens, and then we'll go about granting citizenship the the best of your slaves, and then negotiating with the two in the cell."

"Negotiate?"

"Well of course, you want to operate a Kingdom with only three nobles?" Makuta considered for a few seconds as they walked to the balcony. "How many 'crystal slaves' do you have?"

"Um... truthfully, I'm not certain. The numbers fluctuate."

"Well, you have been working them to death, at least according to the rumors."

"Those rumors are generally greatly over exaggerated." He tilted his head away so he wouldn't have to meet their eyes. "I don't really keep track. All Crystal Ponies are my slaves. The numbers are above 200,000 and haven't met the 300,000 mark the last time I counted."

"Hm. Go around, make... fifteen large families into nobles, give them large houses near the castle, then make about two thirds of the remaining population 'citizens'. Give them houses. Then tell the others who are still slaves that if they work well enough, then they can become citizens too."

"I'll have to completely change the way I've had them living."

Nightmare raised an eyebrow. "How have you been having them live?"

"Whenever I need a project done I recruit laborers, otherwise I just supply the houses with food, and I assume they simply choose a dwelling to live in. Besides providing food and recruiting labor, I mostly just keep them from leaving."

Makuta blinked. "You are a terrible leader."