• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 4,301 Views, 145 Comments

The Equestrian Trace - Wafflegodman



The griffon king screws up. He found an ancient artifact, and ends up summoning a very strange creature into the magical world of Equis.

  • ...
17
 145
 4,301

Time to fly.

Chapter 3

Time to fly.

It has been uneventful... this world, and the one I left behind. The sky has grayed, and the creatures that inhabit it are no longer a wonder inducing phenomenon. Three days... that's all it took. I've seen a unicorn, as well as a manticore, and I couldn't care less.

The trial keeps becoming more and more like a sentencing, and it looks like I won't be freeman for much longer if this keeps up.

Gilda is okay, if not a bit aggressive, and her sister is completely average... she's not even that flirty anymore. Action... that's what I need. I've been stuck on the same rock for too long. I haven't been able to run, or do anything worth while.

My senses are more tuned, I started thinking more critically as of late, and I have a multitude of questions that I would love to ask. I've tried a couple of times, but Gilda, and her sister, who is actually named Isis, refuse to answer me. It has taken quite a toll on my mood.

"What's up?" Gilda asked as she approached me.

I'm not sure. I'm sitting here, looking out the window, with the smell of mint emanating from my tea, stinging my nose. "Dunno." I responded, simply because I had nothing else to say.

"Okay... how ya doing?" She asked.

"I don't know." I informed, my mint tea's aroma once again stung my nose as I inhaled.

It was quiet for awhile. Not an awkward quiet, but a comforting silence. It enveloped me, and let me relax.

"How much combat experience do you have?" Gilda asked.

I was a bit stunned by the randomness of the question. I thought for a second, but after a time, and with a flick of my wrist, I waved off the question.

"This is serious!" Gilda said, forcing my head to the side so that I would face her.

It was serious. Her eyes were cold, and her expression... unnerving.

"Well, have you ever been in a fight?" Gilda asked.

I smirked. Delivering Asian food is a dangerous job after all.

"Why are you smi..." Gilda started, but I put a finger on her beak, and nodded.

"Fuck you." she said in a hushed voice after some time. Apparently she doesn't like being touched.

"Sure, but you'll have to take me to dinner first." I responded, she did walk right into that one after all, which got me slapped across the face. "...So, whats with the question."

"I've been home for way to long, and I want to get off this rock. DD, you remember me telling you about her right? Well, she's in town, and she secured us a ship... we just have to go through a few security check points to get to her."

I would be lying if that didn't sound like a good time, but I was apprehensive at the fact that Gilda expects conflict, usually I'd just keep running in this scenario, but with a companion, that might not be an option.

"Okay. Have you got a plan?" I asked.

"Yeah, little miss pervert went ahead and is with DD now. I just have to get there with you intact." She said.

I wasn't sure if I should be insulted at that statement... I mean, does she think she has to protect me. It was a bit of blow to my self-esteem.

"Alright. let's go." I said.

"We should leave at night."

"I'd rather go now." I responded, getting up from my relaxed position... I really needed to leave this rock as soon as possible, my nerves were killing me.

I shot the tea down like a cheap glass of vodka, and started for the door, placing the cup I was using on a nearby coffee table.

"Hold on. What do you think you're doing?" Gilda asked, taking her place at my side, using her wings to balance on her lioness legs as she walked with me.

Whenever she stands on two legs it surprises me... she always seems so small when she stands normally on all fours, but when she gets up she is nearly at eye level with me. I'd be lying if I said she didn't look a bit imposing, if not straight up scary, when she took that position.

"I thought we were heading toward a ship... by the way, when you say ship, do you mean airship, or the boring kind?"

"I never agreed to leave now... also, its the boring kind." She said.

"Well I can't see at night, therefore I can't run." I informed in the hopes of encouraging her to leave now.

"But we can sneak around better at night!" Gilda protested, stumbling in her fluster, leaving me to catch her.

I swear I saw a blush on her feathered cheeks while she was in my arms, but she pushed me back a bit, and retook her bipedal stance from before.

"Alright... lets make a compromise, 'kay?" I asked, a devious plan forming in my ever so cruel mind.

"Okay. What is it?"

I took my hooded cloak off, and threw it on a chair... I appreciated the warmth, but I couldn't run for shit with it on. I then turned around, my back facing Gilda.

"Wrap your arms around my neck." I ordered.

"Wh... Why?"

"Just do it Prissy." I ordered in a deceptively calm voice, negating the harshness of my words.

She complied. It was nice... being held that is. It was almost as if she was embracing me. I would have took more time to enjoy the novel nature of the action, but time is a precious commodity, and I was running out it.

I jerked forward, throwing Gilda up on to my back. I then took a firm hold of her legs. She was light... I suppose that is to be expected considering she was half bird... hollow bones and all that... but it still surprised me.

I then bolted out the door, kicking it off its hinges.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" Gilda yelled.

"Relax." I said.

I chuckled a bit as I bolted across a giant wooden bridge connecting the floating rocks... I mean, seriously, I was giving a piggy back ride to a Griffon.

"You expect ME to relax right now?!" Gilda yelled, letting a subtle whimper of fright escape her.

I looked over my shoulder so I could look at Gilda, at the same time I slowed my pace so that I could still avoid bystanders using my peripheral vision. Her eyes were closed tight, and her talons were digging into my chest.

"It's okay, trust me." I tried to encourage her, picking my pace back up.

"How can I, you lied to me."

"Just tell me where to go." I said, my voice sounding calm as I spoke... even though I wasn't.

"The docks."

That was informative.

"Listen..." I was going to try to calm her down a bit more, though I'm not even sure why she's so scared. "...you have wings right?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"So you can fly away anytime you want." I informed. "There is no need to be scared."

"I'm not scared!" she said.

"Then whats with the whimpering?" I asked.

"..."

"Come on now, its okay... I'm your friend, right?"

"But, you lied to me." she said quietly.

I couldn't respond to that. I did lie in a way, but it was for her own good... right?

"I'll get us to the ship, and you guide me, that's a compromise." I said.

I heard another whimper. Gilda pressed her head into my back, and I felt a warm dampness form on my shirt.

Note to self, Gilda has some serious issues.

I ran as fast as I could. Guards followed for a good twenty minuets, but they couldn't keep up with me. I found a clever hiding spot in an ally with some cracks in the ground. I set Gilda down, and looked her over. She had cried herself to sleep. Something was off about her today, besides the sudden out burst... she seemed so much more... depressed.

I need to focus.

I had no idea where to begin looking for the docks. I hadn't seen any before, so I was at a loss. after a minute or two though, I thought I heard the sound of flapping canvas, and the creaking of wood. I listened more carefully, and found that the sound was coming from below the island. I looked at a crack in the ground, and saw light. I peered through the opening, and was awe struck. Ships of all sizes were all gathered around a land mass right below me. That had to be the docks.

I moved over to Gilda, and shook her gently.

"Wake up." I whispered.

She stirred, but her eyes were shut.

"Come on, I found the docks." I said, a bit louder.

Her eyes opened slowly, and she seemed a bit surprised, but then her features calmed, and she looked like she had something to say.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah... I... I want to apologize." She said, her head hung low as she looked at the ground.

"Why? You didn't do anything."

"But I did! I freaked out on you!"

"Its alright... as long as you are okay."

"I'm not okay though. I forgot to take my... my meds." Gilda informed.

That was not what I was expecting.

"What are the meds for? You are going to alright... right?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be fine. The meds are for... well... you see...."

"Its alright." I encouraged.

"I... I have some uh... some minor, actually, make that sever uh... I have some serious shit going on." She said.

I started to feel extremely guilty. I treated her horribly... I was trying to be funny but....

"Come on, you saw the docks right? Lets go." She said, rising, and walking to the edge of the ally.

"Yeah."

"Do you know how you are gonna get down?" She asked.

I didn't have time to answer before we were surrounded by Griffons, each with a jacket embroidered with the word GRYPHON... they were cops.

"You know what Gilda." I said.

"What?"

"How about you leave, and meet up with me in... um... Equestria is it? Yeah, Equestria." I more told her than suggested.

"I can't leave you behind." Gilda informed in an almost pleading manner.

"Just go prissy." I said, once again using a calmer voice to negate the insulting nature of the offending nickname.

She paused to look at me, wanting to say something, but I nodded to her, a smirk growing on my lips. She looked at me a bit longer, but then flew away... none of the Gryphons gave chase to her.

I crouched down, placing one hand on the ground, preparing for any attack that may come. Then I smiled a truly menacing smile, and asked a very important question.

"Who wants to play first?"

Author's Note:

I am SO sorry for the time frame between chapter releases. Seriously, its absurd. Furthermore, you get this chapter after a couple of months... THIS chapter... a SHORT as fuck TRANSITION chapter. I feel so bad. If its any consolation, I got my life together, and learned a valuable lesson... don't ever date EVER. Also, you know, the next chapter just needs editing and minor revisions... so yeah.

Before I forget, who wants to see our wannabe sea monster protagonist kidnap the Royal Canterlot symphony? I can already guess the answer... all of you!