• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 980 Views, 17 Comments

A New Experience - Zen



I decide to return to college after taking a year off, and wind up with having a pony for a roommate!

  • ...
0
 17
 980

Prologue: Moving In

A New Experience
Prologue: Moving In

I never thought I’d be going back to a formal college, much less the one I had dropped out from over a year ago when I became incredibly sick and was forced to drop all my classes and salvage what I could or risk failing them all. But here I was, back at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado. It was move in day, and I had been fortunate enough to land a spot in one of the nicest dorms on campus: New North Hall. It was the same dorm building I had been placed in during my freshman year, and I gotta say it’s the best dorm hall I’ve ever stayed in. My freshman year was the first class that got to stay in the dorm, it was that new. Every floor except the top floor had two lounges, complete with kitchens, two study rooms, and a main lobby by the primary staircase in the front of the building. That staircase was the most outstanding feature of the entire building. Instead of being like any other staircase, it was a spiral that led up the side of the building, with lounges on every other floor and windows along the outside to give a view of the plains out in the distance. In short, this dorm was pretty awesome.

I had checked in that morning and had just finished bringing everything into my room and was in the process of unpacking it. It wasn’t too much, mostly clothes and supplies. I had brought along a small flat screen and a few game consoles for when I got bored with my laptop and a stereo, plus my bass guitar for when I got into the mood to actually play some music.

This year was going to be different though. I guess a few years ago some portals or something had opened up to this other world called Equestria, where ponies were the dominant race. From what I knew there were some…misunderstandings at first, but now we lived in peace with these sentient equines. I had also heard that some of them had begun to attend American colleges.

My roommate this year happened to be one such pony. Yeah, imagine my reaction when I got an email over the summer informing me who my roommates were going to be, and then a special message attached to that email that told me my roommate was a pony. I like to meet new people, it’s just part of who I am, and to be granted the opportunity to be a roommate with an individual from another world, regardless of who or what that individual happens to be, is I think an incredible opportunity.

I had just put everything away in my desk, which was almost too short for my tall being, when I heard the door to the suite open. In New North most rooms were actually suites composed of two bedrooms, a commons, and a private bath and shower, and each bedroom housed two residents. I looked up and saw Zach, one of my suitemates, enter with an armful of stuff.

I didn’t know much about Zach; he hadn’t communicated very well over the summer. From what I did know Zach was a freshman who was attending UNC on a scholarship for football. I had talked to him briefly when we both checked in, and he seemed alright. He was definitely a sports fan but he didn’t seem like the stereotypical jock, so that was nice.

Zach’s roommate Payton seemed like the kind of dude who just liked to chill. He and I had talked some over the summer, and he had told me that he was a sophomore who was only coming back to finish his general education. It was nice to know that I wasn’t the only one in this suite who was doing just that. He had also told me that he was going to be flying in from Spokane, Washington the day we were supposed to move in and would probably not arrive until after dinner.

“Hey Matt, wanna come give me a hand with this?” I hear Zach call from his room.

I left my desk and went across the commons to the other bedroom. Zach was having some difficulty with a collapsible shelf he had brought.

“Thanks bro.” He said after a few minutes of struggling with the stubborn device.

“No prob.” I said and returned to putting my stuff away.

Now this pony roommate of mine…he was more or less a total mystery. The only thing the message had told me was his name, a photo that revealed him to be a unicorn, and that he apparently held some kind of important position in Equestria. I assumed he hadn’t been in contact because this position of his kept him busy. Technology had been slowly introduced to Equestria and there were ways to make contact via phone between these two worlds, so I thought it was just safe to assume that he has just been too busy.

In the end I didn’t really care, but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t somewhat eager to meet him.

“You think you’re ready for when our mystery pony roommate shows up?” I heard Zach ask from his room.

“Heh, it’s definitely a first, that’s for sure.” I said making sure everything was plugged in before turning my attention to making my bed. “I’m excited for it, but at the same time I’m kinda nervous.”

“I hear that bro.” I heard something fall over in Zach’s room, followed by some moderate cursing. “Especially since we’re supposed to make sure that he’s comfortable here and all.”

“Yeah that email did say that we were more or less responsible for his wellbeing this year.” I said, digging through my blankets for the bed spread. “Do you know anything about Greeley or UNC?”

“I do not.” Zach replied, and it sounded like he was now in the commons. “I’m from Vail, dog. I’ve never been here before.”

“Then I guess it’s a good thing I’ve been around for a few years.” I replied with a slight grin.

“Have you ever met one of these ponies before?”

“I’ve seen one before but I can’t say I’ve had any real interaction with them. Have you?”

“Nope.” A few seconds later I heard some music coming out of what I guessed was a stereo. The commons area only had a couch, a chair, and a desk with a room phone, so Zach must have brought a stereo of his own. After a few moments of listening I heard the lyrics to the Rise Against hit ‘Life Less Frightening’. At least he has a decent taste in music.

“Then this’ll be a learning experience for both of us.” I laughed, and I heard Zach laugh in return.

Unfortunately the email I had received didn’t exactly outline what to expect. There was nothing stating how to behave or really even anything about their culture, which I thought was odd.

I heard the door to the suite unlock and open that moment, followed by an odd sound of something other than a shoe or foot hitting the carpet.

“Excuse me, are you Matt?” I heard the newcomer ask from the doorway, and I looked up from wrestling with the tangled bed sheets as I heard my name.
It was him. He had a pure white coat and dark blue mane and tail, and he was wearing what I guessed was some kind of informal military outfit underneath some saddlebags, judging by the various pins and medals that were hanging from it. He also was taller than I had expected, his whole head rose above the doorknob.
“Yes I am.” I replied, getting off the bed and walking over and extending a closed fist. I figured a handshake would be difficult for a pony to partake in.
He bumped my fist with a hoof. “Nice to meet you Matt. I’m Shining Armor, and I’m glad to be here.”

Author's Note:

Author's Notes yay!

So this fic was inspired by totallynotabrony's fic "The Roommate". Just a little something for fun I could work on when I get bored of my other fics.

Don't expect too much out of this or even for it to update very often. This fic is secondary to my other work.