• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 10,905 Views, 588 Comments

I Am Not the Actor - cleverpun



After one of Pinkie's clones wins the paint-watching test, she slowly finds that "being yourself" is never as simple as it sounds. Especially when everypony has a different idea about who you are, and who you should be.

  • ...
37
 588
 10,905

14. Just a Figment

14. Just a Figment

It was dark. Cold and dark. My skin was numb, my eyes couldn’t see anything. Nothing but a black void and numbness.

I screamed, and my ears definitely still worked. No sight or sound, but I could hear just fine.

It was quiet at first. After I screamed I kind of ran out of ideas of what to do. So I just sat there, waiting and thinking.

I don’t know how long I sat there. It was impossible to tell. Moving my body didn’t help, so I started singing a song.

I forget how many songs I went through, or what order they were in. I know a lot. My mouth never got tired, so I just kept singing, waiting for something to happen.

Then, after lots of verses of lots of different songs, they started mimicking me. I'm still not exactly sure who “they” were, though. The voices sounded just like mine, except farther away. I’m pretty sure they weren’t echoes, but I guess I’ll never know for sure.

I don’t know how long that went on, either. I ran out of things to sing, so it must have been a really long time.

When I stopped singing, they stopped too. Only for a moment. They started singing their own songs after that.

Now, normally I’m really good at songs. Singing and lyrics and everything. Except I couldn’t really memorize these ones that easily. The words sounded so strange. Even now I barely remember bits of them. Stuff about “swallowing anything evil” and “seeing for miles” and all sorts of silly gibberish.

Every time I tried to sing along the words stuck in my throat, or I would get one line right and then the rest would come out wrong, or my voice would crack and it would be off pitch.

Then, I was gasping for breath, dragging myself out of a pool of water. I coughed, and I could feel my throat and lungs burn.

It turns out I was in Whitetail Woods. They aren’t as bad as the Everfree Forest, obviously, but there wasn’t anypony to give me a ride. So I had to walk back here. And, well, here we are.


“And that’s how I got my cutie mark.” Pinkie Pie smiled, but it was much more forced than her usual toothy grin. “Maybe someday I’ll tell you how I got out of the mirror pool.”

“That’s not funny, Pinkie Pie,” Fluttershy said.

Pinkie Pie shrugged. “Well, you know, it was worth a shot.”

“Wait, where’d ya get the cloak then?” Applejack asked.

“Oh, that. I made it out of tree bark and grass.” Pinkie Pie flashed another strained smile. “Needed to practice my sewing.”

“I’m so sorry.” Twilight tightened her hug. Her face still rested on Pinkie Pie’s lap, and her tears had thoroughly soaked Pinkie Pie’s coat. Neither the discomfort of the position or the dampness impeded her hug. “I didn’t mean— I didn’t want to— I—”

“It’s okay Twilight.” Pinkie Pie patted Twilight’s back. She had been rubbing it throughout her story. “I already forgave you. It wasn’t a big deal.”

“How can you say that! I could’ve— I almost—”

“But you didn’t, silly. So stop worrying about it,” Pinkie Pie said softly.

The front door opened and shut, just loudly enough to catch everypony’s attention.

“Well I didn't find her,” Rainbow Dash said as she walked in. “Did I miss any—” she froze as she stepped into the living room. “Pinkie Pie?” She turned to the clone and back to Pinkie Pie. Her eyes darted back and forth another time, then finally settled on Pinkie Pie.

“Hey Rainbow Dash! I was just telling everypony how I got my—” Pinkie Pie’s smile dimmed slightly. “I mean, how I got out of the mirror pool. You didn’t really miss much.”

Dash opened her mouth, but quickly closed it. She turned to the right. Applejack was the closest pony to her.

“Am I the only one freaked out by this? I thought she was…”

“Trust me, we all felt the same way,” Applejack said.

“And…” Rainbow Dash covered her mouth with a hoof. Her voice was still perfectly audible in the small room. “And how do we know it’s the actual Pinkie Pie? I mean, she came out of a mirror pool, and we already screwed up once.”

“She’s a little too, well, lively ta be a clone. Besides, the clone didn’t exactly have any of Pinkie Pie’s memories, and she does.”

“Yeah, I told everybody about that time we improved the Grand Galloping Gala.” Pinkie Pie giggled. “At the diner, you joked that your favorite type of donut was plain because you could eat it the fastest.”

Rainbow Dash tackled Pinkie Pie, and the two of them fell backwards, dragging Twilight with them.

“Pinkie Pie! I knew it was you.”

Pinkie smiled. “Do I get a welcome-back hug too? I mean, I left and came back, and I’ve never had a hug before, so this is probably a good time for one, right?”

“Uhm,” Rarity paused. She had been mulling over what to call the clone for a while, and she still hadn’t come up with anything. She settled for half of Pinkie Pie’s name. It was mostly out of habit, but the symbolism of it was obvious to everyone except the clone. “Pinkie, this may not be the best time for a question like that,” she whispered.

Twilight’s hooves tightened again. “Why did you bring it back, Pinkie Pie? You could have just left it out there and nopony would have noticed.”

“Twilight, you know that isn’t true.”

“It is true. I just want it to be gone so we can forget this ever happened.”

“I know you don’t mean that.” Pinkie Pie rubbed Twilight’s shoulder. “I guess it’s my fault, though. I was gone a pretty long time, by the looks of it. Speaking of…” Pinkie Pie stood up. Rainbow Dash moved aside without protest, but Twilight clung to Pinkie Pie’s midriff, dangling slightly off the floor.

“Twilight, I’m happy to see you too, but I need to talk with Pinkie for a bit.”

“Pinkie Pie, I’m just so sorry. Please…please don’t leave me.”

Pinkie Pie smiled. “I’m not leaving, silly. I never did, and I’m not going to now.” She wormed out of Twilight’s grip, and turned to her clone. “Come on, we’ll talk in the kitchen.”


Pinkie didn’t say anything at first. Just watching Pinkie Pie bake took all her attention. The way she moved from one part of the room to the other, the way she poured things, the way she bounced the ingredients from one spot to the other. It was effortless and mesmerizing and perplexing all at once.

Then, before she could even realize it was over, Pinkie Pie was pulling a tray of muffins out of the oven and piling them on a tray.

“Hungry?” Pinkie Pie put a muffin on the table. It was still warm, and the chocolate chips studding its surface were still gooey. “Go on. I’ve got to go give some to everypony else.”

Pinkie Pie was gone in a flash, and Pinkie was left alone with her muffin. It was delicious. Every part of it worked together and each bite had a little bit of each part. It was like that food in the restaurant she had gone to with Rainbow Dash, deliberate and yummy and careful. Not like the food she made at all.

Pinkie Pie walked back into the kitchen, her smile considerably fuller. She sat down across from Pinkie and took a bite of one of the muffins still on the tray. “Pretty good, right? Chocolate makes you feel better, it’s a scientific fact. That sounds like a fun job, doesn’t it? Chocolate scientist. Hanging out with the butterscotch scientists and caramel scientists.”

“I guess,” Pinkie muttered.

“What’s the matter? Do you need milk?”

“Twilight was right. I’m terrible at parties. Out of town, on the road, you calmed me down, but you didn’t say she was wrong.” Pinkie took another bite of her muffin. It was still delicious, but that only confirmed the truth. “The test was supposed to see if I was a good Pinkie Pie, but it didn’t work. You’re still better at it. I'm just a…”

Pinkie Pie poked her own muffin, but didn’t take a bite out of it. “I have to apologize to you.”

Pinkie’s ear flicked. “For what?”

“I thought that a notepad with some drawings and some names was all it would take for you to be me. I thought that I could…I dunno, dress you up as me, that nopony would notice the difference and I could use you as a way to fix all the problems I was having.

“I could have helped you, but I was too selfish. I was so concerned with helping myself that I didn’t see you as anything but a…a tool.” Pinkie Pie looked up from her muffin, her smile completely faded. “I’m sorry. I tried to make you something you’re not. I know how stressful that is, how depressing, but I didn’t give a second thought to forcing it on another pony. This whole thing is all my fault.”

“So Twilight was right…”

“Well, she was right about you not being a good Pinkie Pie.”

The clone flinched at the words.

Pinkie Pie draped a hoof across the other Pinkie’s foreleg. “But me and her both forgot the rest of it. You’re a bad Pinkie Pie, but that’s a good thing. Nopony should ever have to be anyone other than themselves.”

“So, if I’m not Pinkie Pie, who am I?” the clone asked.

Pinkie Pie smiled, and this time it was genuine and toothy. “That’s the best part! You can be whoever you like.”

“But I don’t…I wouldn’t even know where to start.”

“No one said you have to do it alone, silly.”

Pinkie took a bite of her muffin. “It sounds like you thought about this a lot.”

“Yeah, well, I had plenty of time to think about it on the walk over,” Pinkie Pie said. “Wasn’t a lot else to do, ya know?”