• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 4,155 Views, 118 Comments

Thirty-Minute Pony Stories - Silvernis



Stuff I wrote for Thirty-Minute Pony Stories.

  • ...
1
 118
 4,155

PreviousChapters Next
252: Holiday

252: HOLIDAY


Rainbow Dash could feel the sunlight slowly cooking her, but long experience with lounging in the sun told her that she had another ten minutes or so before the heat forced her back under the big umbrella farther up the beach. For now, though . . .

She sighed contentedly and wriggled deeper into the warm sand, trying not to disturb the lavender unicorn lying across her chest. Twilight murmured a little, nuzzled Rainbow’s belly, then continued snoring quietly. The pegasus smiled and ran a slightly sandy hoof through the other mare’s mane.

“Late night, Ah take it?” drawled an amused voice from behind them. “You really oughta pace yerself, RD. We’re here all week, after all.”

“Indeed,” said another voice, refined but with a hint of mischief. “The poor dear is already exhausted from running that seminar in Canterlot. You mustn’t wear her out any more.”

Rainbow chuckled as Applejack and Rarity sat down on either side of her. “Twi’s a lot tougher than you think, but don’t worry. I’m gonna let her have all the beauty sleep she wants.” She stroked Twilight’s mane again, then added softly, “She deserves it.”

Applejack and Rarity tried to hide their wide smiles without much success.

“What?” demanded Rainbow, reddening.

“Nothin’,” said Applejack. “It’s just nice to see, is all.”

“What is?”

“How much you care about her,” said Rarity. “It’s very sweet.”

Rainbow groaned. “I’m not sweet. I’m cool, okay?”

“Whatever you say, sugar cube,” said Applejack, snickering. “Speakin’ of cool, ain’t you gettin’ a mite toasty out here? Maybe we oughta head back to the umbrella.” She took off her hat and fanned herself.

“We really should get out of the sun,” said Rarity, waving a dainty fan with her magic. “I shudder to think of what it’s doing to my complexion.”

“Eh, I guess so,” said Rainbow. She sat up slowly, drawing Twilight’s head into her lap.

The unicorn stirred. Her eyes flickered open, then promptly squeezed shut again as the bright sunlight hit them. She grunted and wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow.

“Hey, Twi,” said Rainbow, leaning down to place a light kiss on the tip of the unicorn’s horn.

“Hey, Dashie,” mumbled Twilight into Rainbow’s chest.

“We’re gonna move back to the umbrella, okay?”

“’Kay,” said Twilight, not moving.

Rainbow grinned and shook her head. She carefully got to her hooves, pulling Twilight up with her, then started towards the umbrella, half-carrying, half-dragging the not-quite-awake unicorn. A minute’s plodding brought them to the umbrella and the welcome shade beneath it. Rainbow gently deposited Twilight back onto the sand, then sat down next to her. Rarity and Applejack settled themselves over by the picnic basket.

Rainbow glanced around suddenly, wondering where Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie had gone. She scanned the beach, then chuckled when she saw a familiar yellow pegasus apparently attempting to commune with a cluster of seagulls. Farther down, a pink blur was zooming over a giant sandcastle—or was that a sandcupcake? Regardless, it was impressively big.

Satisfied, Rainbow flopped backwards and scooted closer to Twilight. The unicorn murmured and blindly returned her head to the pegasus’s chest. Rainbow stroked Twilight’s mane again, then closed her eyes, simply enjoying the warm weight of the other mare.

Abruptly, she popped one eye open again and glared at Applejack and Rarity.

“Not a word,” she growled.

The other two ponies smiled and said nothing.

Author's Note:

Not my best, but fluff I wanted, so fluff I wrote. In other news, I finally broke down and used "lavender." The experience was traumatic; I don’t think I want to do it again.

PreviousChapters Next