• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 2,990 Views, 105 Comments

Big Siblings - Learn for Life



Rarity and Thunderlane engage their younger siblings in various games

  • ...
9
 105
 2,990

Hide-n'-Seek at Sweet Apple Acres

They reached the orchard and began galloping on the path to the house. Before reaching it, Sweetie Belle pushed Rumble to the left and they both galloped some more before diving into a bush. They both took a moment to catch their breath.

“Okay, so we just stay here for a while until they find us?” Rumble asked.

Sweetie Belle blew a raspberry. “I don’t know about you, but I don’t plan on just waiting here if they come here.”

“Whatcha doin’?”

They both looked up to see a filly staring down at them. “Hi, Apple Bloom! We’re playing hide-n’-seek from Rarity and his brother.”

Rumble waved at her. “Hello.”

Apple Bloom beamed down at him. “Hey there! What’s yer name?”

“Rumble,” he answered bashfully.

She giggled. “Are ya Sweetie Belle’s coltfriend?”

Both their eyes widened, and Apple Bloom began laughing. “What?” Sweetie Belle yelled, her voice cracking. “No! We’re just friends!” She pouted at her. Rumble, meanwhile, was busy trying to control his blush.

After Apple Bloom calmed down, she shook her head. “I’m just messin’ with ya.” She looked around. “But ya know... this isn’t the best place ta hide.” She grabbed their hooves with a smirk. “Follow me.”


They reached the orchard as the air began to chill, the thunder sounding out more frequently. Thunderlane’s heart was pounding as he flew over the trees, while Rarity’s was racing as she ran through the entrance.

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity cried out as she broke into the orchard. “We’ve gotta go home now. Get your flank out here!”

“Rumble!” Thunderlane glided from field to field, trying to spot either foal running around. “Rumble, where are you? Come on, buddy, this isn’t a game anymore.”

Rarity continued running around, at first following the pair of little hoofprints in the dirt before it was lost in the grass, and then resorting to running from row to row. Thunderlane began flying in a spiral, circling the entire outside of the orchard before moving closer. Rarity checked the Crusaders clubhouse and found nothing; Thunderlane landed on top of it and went down next to her.

“Any sight of them?” Rarity asked.

Thunderlane sniggered before he shook his head. “No.”

Rarity whined. “I don’t know what to do.”

Thunderlane beat his wings. “Maybe we should get that mud off you”

Rarity whipped her head back to see a trail of mud down her left flank and hindleg. She groaned. “I stepped in a puddle and I guess I got mud on me.”

“Don’t worry,” Thunderlane said from above with a cloud. “I can take care of that.” He turned around and readied his hindlegs.

Rarity’s eyes widened. “Wait, what are you—” before she could finish, a downpour came upon her. Soon her entire backside was drenched with rainwater—at least the mud was gone.

“Well, that takes care of that,” Thunderlane said, oblivious to her scowling face.

“Why you—” she cleared her throat, shivering a bit. “Well, like I said, we need to figure out a plan.”

“A plan fer what?” Both ponies looked over to see Applejack trotting over to them. “What’re y’all looking fer?”

Rarity ran down to Applejack. “Oh, Applejack, have you seen Sweetie Belle with a pegasus colt running around here?”

Applejack blinked. “Are they on the farm?”

Thunderlane hovered down next to them. “A pony said she saw them headed this way. Do you think you’ve seen them anywhere?”

“No, sorry.” Applejack looked out to the north. “If I find ‘em, should I round ‘em up or somethin’?”

Thunderlane shook his head. “Hopefully they’re not causing any trouble. We’re just playing hide-n’-seek.”

At this, Applejack gasped. “Hide-n’-seek? Oh, I remember playin’ hide-n’-seek with Big Mac when Ah was jus’ a lil filly! Oh, those were some good times, I’ll tell ya what.”

Rarity sighed. “Well, we’ll look around here some more. If you do see them, please bring them to me. Ooh, when I get my hooves on that filly...” The thought trailed off as Rarity ran to the western fields. Thunderlane and Applejack exchanged nods and he flew off.

“Foals.”


It had been five minutes, and Thunderlane was becoming breathless. “I haven’t seen them anywhere.”

“What if they’re somewhere else?” Rarity asked out loud.

“It’s likely—” Thunderlane began before his ears perked up. “Hold up! Listen.”

Rarity perked her ears up, and she heard something being shushed. “It’s them!”

“Ha!” Thunderlane cried. “We’ve got you!” He flew to his right when a rustling of branches to his left. He darted that way and dove into the tree. A split second later, he burst back out. “You’re not gonna get away from us!” Another bit of rustling came from a ways down; he dove in that tree, and then the next that rustled. Soon he was hopping from tree to tree in a zigzag line until, eventually, he came to the end of the orchard.

“What the?” Thunderlane flew up and scanned the outskirts of the farm. “Horseapples!”

“Thunderlane!” He heard Rarity shout. “They’re over here somewhere!”

She heard him groan and the beating of his wings. She, meanwhile, trotted over to where she had heard the giggling. “Now come on out, Sweetie Belle. You too, Rumble. This game’s over.”

No response.

“I’m beginning to get frustrated, now.” Those words had just left her mouth when she heard the bushes moving. “Aha!” She parted the bushes with her magic. “Come on out!”

Nothing but an apple.

“Urgh!” she groaned, leaving the bushes. “How is this possible?” Another pile of bushes rustled. Rarity leapt at them and parted them, finding nothing yet again but an apple. She began to strain her ears to hear them, but the only thing that came from the bushes was more rustling. At one point, the noise was accompanied by twigs breaking, and Rarity was sure she had them at this point. She found a few apples here.

She groaned loudly. “This isn’t funny anymore!”

Thunderlane flew as fast as he could, trying to spot anything from under the trees. He was not expecting to crash into anything, especially anything large; he had a careful eye on everything that was tall and brown. Alas, he did crash into something large and red... and loud.

Thunderlane and the object rolled a few yards on the dirt before crashing into a tree. Thunderlane groaned and tried throwing the thing off of him, but to his shock it rolled off on its own accord. It stared at him, standing on its legs and braying at him.

“Whoa, boy,” Thunderlane chuckled nervously. “T-take it easy, there. I’m jus-I’m just looking for my brother.”

The beast continued breathing loudly, taking a step towards him staring him directly in the eye. Thunderlane whimpered a bit, shrinking down in front of the stallion towering over him. For a moment neither blinked, the pony growling and Thunderlane trembling.

“Big Macintosh!”

The pony looked up to his right. Thunderlane heard another set of hooves running towards him.

“Big Macintosh, don’t hurt him. He’s a friend.”

The beast, Big Macintosh, looked down at him again, snorted, and backed away, wincing.

Rarity placed a hoof on his dark-red side. “Did Thunderlane fly into you?”

The stallion nodded. “Eeyup.”

Rarity took a closer look at the bruise forming at his side. “Oh, you poor thing.” She looked behind him. “And he knocked over your basket of apples, didn’t he?”

“Eeyup.” Big Macintosh turned his head to glare at Thunderlane.

“Oh, don’t be too mad at him.” Rarity laid her chin on his nape, and he rested his head on her back. “You see, Sweetie Belle and his younger brother are running amuck here on the farm, and we’re running around looking for them.” Big Macintosh’s eyes widened, and he looked back at Thunderlane. “Have you, by any chance, seen them around?”

“Nope.”

Rarity sighed. “They’re definitely here—” no sooner had she said this that a fit of laughter coming from one of the trees. “There!”

Thunderlane began to gallop towards the tree, but he was soon overtaken by the blur that was Big Macintosh racing towards it. The bushes a ways away from it rustled, and he turned, momentum dragging him one way while his hooves threw himself the other way. Once his hoofing was regained, he dashed to the bushes and parted them. Like Rarity, all he found there was a fallen apple.

“That’s what happened to me!” Rarity called after catching up to them. “They were in the bushes and then they vanished.”

Big Macintosh stood there for a moment, motionless. Then he chuckled to himself.

Thunderlane huffed. “You think this is funny?”

Big Macintosh held a hoof up, signaling them to be quiet. He perked his ears up, and both did the same. They waited for a minute, a loud rumble of thunder being the only noise for a while. Then the a set of bushes a ways away rustled. Thunderlane was about to dart after them, but Big Macintosh held his hoof up and told him to stop. He turned his head to a tree in particular and eyed it suspiciously; the other two did the same.

Then they all saw it: an apple flying out from the middle of the canopy of a granny smith green tree. Big Macintosh grinned and darted to it. There was a scream and a lot of noise in the canopy, but with one powerful buck the entire thing shook, and something fell out. They all looked at it, and Big Macintosh groaned.

“Apple Bloom.”

The filly looked up with a sheepish grin, chuckling. “Heh, hey there Big Mac.”

He shook his head. “Where are they?”

Her eyes darted around. “Where are... who?”

Rarity groaned. “Apple Bloom, we need to find Sweetie Belle and her friend Rumble before the storm arrives—” Lightning cracked. “And we need to hurry!”

Apple Bloom looked down at her hooves. “Well...”

Thunderlane stepped towards her, causing her to cringe a bit. “Well?”

Apple Bloom sighed. “Look, I’d like to help. I really would. You see, the thing is—”

An apple hit her over the head, stopping her talking. All three ponies looked up and saw a large figure swinging from tree to tree deftly.

“What in Equestria?” Rarity asked. Big Macintosh groaned.

“Applejack.” He swiftly turned to Apple Bloom. “When I—”

She was gone.


“THAT—”

“Shh.” Applejack covered Sweetie Belle’s mouth and untangled Apple Bloom from her lasso. “Ya did good.”

“THANKS—”

“Shh! Dag nabbit, can’t y’all hush up when y’er playin’ hide-n’-seek?” She glanced at Rumble. “Now, we’re gonna move on over ta the barn and get ya lil ones hidden at the house.” He nodded. “Good. Hand me some apples, Apple Bloom.” Soon she had four apples tossed into the air. She whipped around and alternated between Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee to send them off.

“That might fool them fer a lil while,” Applejack commented as they heard the three below dash after the apples. “That’s a trick I learned as a filly when I needed ta get away from Big Mac. Now let’s head on out, and fer Celestia’s sake keep quiet!” She hissed that last part, and the two fillies nodded. She took Sweetie Belle on her back and began jumping to the top of the canopy. Apple Bloom followed without much trouble, while Rumble flew after them.

“Hey, Applejack,” Sweetie Belle began, “why are you helping us?”

She heard a chuckle from the mare. “I remember playin’ hide-n’-seek with Big Macintosh when I was younger—and boy, this is bringin’ back memories!—and I thought I’d give ya and yer coltfriend some help.” Sweetie Belle blushed. “Jus’ teasin’,” Applejack continued jovially. “Big Mac’s very good at this game, an’ y’all wouldn’t last even a minute with him lookin’ fer ya.” Applejack nodded and motioned for them to continue.

They broke through the top of the tree and looked down; Big Macintosh was peeking through each tree trying to find them, while Rarity and Thunderlane continued to call out to them. “Coast’s clear,” she whispered. She then leapt from one tree to the next, landing noiselessly on the other side. Apple Bloom leapt for it as well, being caught by her sister before she fell. Rumble fluttered over to them. “Just like that.”

They proceeded to jump from tree to tree, going one way while the ponies below went a different direction. Sweetie Belle clung onto Applejack, giving an occasional squeak when she was about to fall off. At one point, she began to whimper.

“Don’t worry, sugarcube,” Applejack said. “I got ya.”

Rumble flew up to them. “Yeah, and if you fall, I can fly in and carry you right back up.”

Sweetie Belle looked at him. “But you’re just a colt.”

“Pfft.” Rumble lifted Apple Bloom from the previous tree and, without much effort, carried her to the next tree. “It’s not hard for me.”

Sweetie Belle clung a bit tighter to Applejack. “Well...”

He sighed and proceeded to drop Apple Bloom onto Applejack’s back, and then carry all three of them to the next tree. It took some effort—especially with Applejack writhing and yelling—, but they made it through.

“Land sakes!” Applejack almost yelled. “I knew pegasi were strong fliers, but that was ridiculous!”

Rumble giggled. “Well, when I heard Thunderlane was gonna be a part of getting water to Cloudsdale, I wanted to watch. Rainbow Dash saw me flying there, and she told me I was a very fast flier for somepony my age, and that if I worked hard, I could be a part of the hurricane team. So I got to spend time with my big brother while getting better at flying.”

Sweetie Belle let out a breath. “Okay, I get it. You’ll catch me if I fall.” She looked back at Rumble as Applejack leapt to the next tree, and he thought he caught a smile on her face.

That was before he felt something jump onto his back. “Well, don’t jus’ stand here! We gotta go!”

Rumble groaned as he began flying Apple Bloom along.

It took them a few more minutes before they made it to the end of the orchard, with the barn just at their reach. “Right,” Applejack said a bit breathlessly. “We made it. Now you two—”

“There they are!”

Applejack looked back to see Thunderlane above the trees, pointing right at them. “Ponyfeathers! Get down!”


“At the farmhouse!” Thunderlane shouted, darting towards it. Rarity and Big Macintosh galloped after him.

“Why didn’t we think of that sooner?” Rarity asked. Big Macintosh didn’t respond.

Meanwhile, Thunderlane went straight for the tree they hid in, and found nothing but apples in it. “Darnit, Rumble, where are you?”

A voice piped up from another tree. “You’re cheating.”

Thunderlane whipped around. “What?”

“Yeah,” an accented voice yelled. “Ya got ponies without wings playin’! Ya can’t expect us to avoid ya if ya use yer wings!”

Thunderlane dove into another tree and came up emptyhoofed again.

Big Macintosh caught up to the orchard edge. “Applejack, come on out. We caught ya fair an’ square.”

Rarity finally reached them, breathless. “S-Sweetie Belle! We g-wegottagohome now.” She collapsed.

“Let’s end this,” Big Macintosh yelled, not resisting the urge to smile. “You’ve had your fun, but we’ve found you. Now it’s time to come out.”

For a minute, the only the sound that could be heard was thunder. The three ponies below loomed for some sign of them, Thunderlane continuing to sift through the treetops. Big Macintosh paced back and forth, not once shifting his gaze from the canopies.

Finally, a voice broke the silence. “If ya wanna win, Big Mac... ya hafta catch me first!” Suddenly, Applejack jumped out of a tree close to the orchard entrance, sprinting towards the barn. Big Macintosh neighed and galloped after her. They were headed on a crash course towards each other, Applejack closing in on the barn door and Big Macintosh closing in on her.

Applejack kicked a toy wagon back at him, and he dodged it easily. It flew into the tree she jumped out of. Finally, with one final lunge, Big Macintosh tackled Applejack to the ground. They dragged for a second before coming to a stop.

A second later, they burst out laughing.

“Whew!” Applejack clapped her brother on the shoulder. “Now that was fun!”

Big Macintosh let out a hearty laugh. “Eeyup.”

“I haven’t had this much fun since we were foals.”

“Eeyup!” Big Macintosh got up and off of her.

Applejack got up as well. She turned to look at Rarity and Thunderlane. “Boy, yer brother and yet sister are plenty o’ fun ta play with.” She dusted her hat off. “We should do this agin sometime.”

Thunderlane laughed. “Yeah, Rumble likes to have fun alright.”

Rarity forced a chuckle. “Yes yes, can we get them now?” A drop of water landed on her nose. “It’s starting to rain.”

“Aw, shucks,” Applejack cried. “A lil rain never hurt nopony.”

“Come on now, AJ,” Big Macintosh said. “Let’s get them out.” As he finished saying this, they all heard something like a branch being bent in the tree. “Applejack, let’s get them—” He looked at her to find her smirking.

“I may be out,” she said proudly, “but the game’s not over yet. Ya got that wagon ready, Apple Bloom?”

A shout came from the tree. “All set!”

Big Macintosh’s brow furrowed before his eyes shot wide open. “Are you serious, Applejack!?” She merely smirked in reply. He whipped around to the other two ponies. “The-the tree! The foals! Hurry!”

Thunderlane started, and then darted into the tree. “Rumble?”

“DUCK!”

He had just enough time to turn his head and, seeing the branch coming straight at him, ducked.

Rarity almost missed the projectile that shot out of the tree, zipping straight for Ponyville. She just caught sight of one of them throwing their hooves up while whooping; if that was Sweetie Belle, she told herself...

“Whooo!” Applejack yelled. “We won!”

Apple Bloom jumped out of the tree. “Yeah!”

Rarity’s eye twitched. “Why would you do that!? Can’t you see the storm’s coming?”

Applejack was about to reply, but then stopped, eyes wide. She fumbled for a moment before bowing her head, ears pinned down. “Sorry ‘bout that, Rarity. I guess I jus’ got caught up in the moment, is all.”

“Oh, Applejack! When this is over, I’m going to—” she didn’t finish as Thunderlane began to fly after the wagon.

“Come on!” He yelled. With that, he was gone.

Rarity groaned and ran after him.



Applejack and Apple Bloom continued to laugh to themselves until they caught of Big Macintosh’s face. They stopped as he glared at them.

“Now look, Big Mac,” Applejack began. “I know what we did was a mite rowdy.” He snorted. “Buuuuut we still had fun, right?”

Big Macintosh sighed and ruffled her mane. “Eeyup.”

Apple Bloom hopped onto her sister’s back. “Can we play one more game, huh?”

Big Macintosh watched as both sisters looked at him with imploring eyes. Finally, he sighed. “Eeyup.”

“Woohoo!”

“But,” he began, “no leaving the acre... and you have to find me.”

Applejack’s eyes widened, while Apple Bloom nodded. “Deal!”

Big Macintosh gave them a nod and then ran off. Apple Bloom peeked over her sister’s head. “This’ll be easy.”

Applejack snorted. “Are you kidding? He’s been playin’ this longer than I have. We’ll be lucky if we find him by morning!”