• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 8,806 Views, 498 Comments

In the Service of the Goddess. - Blue Print



Applejack and her friends and family deal with the day to day problems that follow her coronation in Appletheosis.

  • ...
13
 498
 8,806

Chapter Two: Teacher Appreciation

Chapter Two: Teacher Appreciation

As Apple Bloom barreled headlong towards the schoolhouse, Cheerilee was reaching out a hoof to close the door. The little filly managed to slip in just as the door started to swing, surprising her teacher. “Haahh, made it!”

Cheerilee glanced over at her, “I almost shut the door on you Apple Bloom. Be careful. Maybe next time you will come a few minutes early so that this sort of thing doesn’t happen again.” Cheerilee was fairly sure that it would, in fact, happen again, but that didn’t change her responsibility to say something about the matter.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Thank you Apple Bloom.” Cheerilee took a moment to survey her class. What she saw made her heart sink. The town-wide coronation party yesterday had done her no favors. Everypony looked haggard and twitchy to her practiced eye, though most of her young students were probably unaware of their own fragile emotional state. Barring a miracle, there would be blood and bruises on the playground and disruptions in class. In the desperate manner of teachers everywhere, she put on a beatific smile that threatened to crack her face in half. Maybe, just maybe, she could impose harmony on the class through sheer force of will.

“Welcome back everypony. Yesterday was a fun little holiday from school. Can anypony tell me what it was for?” From the back, Truffle Shuffle raised a hoof. Truffle usually didn’t volunteer in class, despite being fairly on-point most of the time. “Yes, Truffle Shuffle.”

“It was for the new princess!”

“Good, does anypony know who the new princess was?”

All eyes turned on Apple Bloom. Cheerilee winced internally, this was what she got for trying to wing it with her lesson plan. Apple Bloom slumped a little in her chair before answering. “Uh, it was mah sister. Applejack.”

There was nowhere to go but forward. Cheerilee plowed ahead, smile locked in place. “Exactly! I think we should spend the first part of class writing letters to congratulate the new princess for Apple Bloom to deliver. Let’s start with two paragraphs with three sentences each, and remember, capitalization counts!” At the very least that would occupy them for the moment while she planned what to do for the rest of the day.

***

Applejack trotted through town, nervous as a worm in a henhouse. So far she had been alternately waved at or bowed to by every pony she had passed in town. Almost all of them had first glanced at her gleaming hat when they saw her. She glanced down at her chest. Maybe she should have worn the peytral after all. It seemed like the regalia did actually serve a purpose. It reminded ponies that the princesses were something to be treated carefully. She sighed as she trotted across the bridge. She wasn’t as outgoing as Pinkie or even Rainbow, but she was used to saying howdy to the ponies around town at the very least. Halfway across the bridge, she stopped. No. This is wrong. Ah have no right nor reason ta keep mahself away from other ponies. Ah jest gotta be a little more careful ‘bout how Ah treat ‘em. Turning about, she scanned the street behind her for somepony else.

The street was relatively empty, considering it was the middle of the day. The only pony close at hoof was Roseluck. She seemed to be gathering another batch of flowers to sell. Applejack grimaced. The last time she had said hi to this particular mare had not ended well. Applejack shook her head. It was either be sociable or let herself get shut away from society. Applejack had no desire to be a shut-in for the rest of her, very long, life. She walked slowly over to where Rose was cutting stems. Standing a safe distance away, she cleared her throat noisily. Rose glanced up from her work. As soon as she caught sight of Applejack, she immediately prostrated herself flat on the ground with a little squeak of, “Your Highness!”

Applejack grimaced again, it was getting to be a tic. “Up on yer hooves, Rose. Ah’m jest sayin’ hi.”

Tentatively, Rose obeyed, but her eyes seemed to wander everywhere except Applejack’s face. “Hi.”

“Rose, don’t… Ah, consarn it. Hay Rose, what’cha got in bloom right now?”

That did the trick. Rose’s eyes immediately locked onto AJ’s. “Well, I have a fairly new variety called Eternal Summer in bloom at the moment. It’s got fantastic color and shape, perfect for brightening up a room, but I have to admit that the flavor and scent leaves something to be desired. I’ve got the yellow Grahams at their peak also, if you’re looking for something succulent.

“Ah’ll take eight Grahams. It’s been a while since Ah had me a good rose dinner. Wait, make it a dozen. Ah have a guest over, and possibly another one bah tonight.”

Rose nodded and efficiently clipped a dozen of the roses and de-thorned their stems. In a moment, Applejack had the bundle in her mouth. Rose smiled at the bouquet. “How mufh do Ah owe ya?”

“Oh, no need, it’s an honor to serve roses to the new Princess Mara.”

Applejack lit her horn experimentally. She carefully pulled the bundle out of her mouth so she could speak. “No, Ah insist.”

“Okay… That’ll be forty-eight bits.”

AJ coughed, nearly dropping the bunch. Now she knew why it had been such a long time since she had had roses. “Alright, Ah’ll have somepony by later ta settle with ya.”

Rose bowed low. “Thank you, princess.”

“You too.” Applejack grinned. “An’ don’t let me catch ya gettin’ yer ideas from Mare-Do-Well comics in tha future.”

Rose had the decency to blush as Applejack trotted happily away with her prize.

***

School was almost over. Cheerilee glanced at the clock. It was a quarter past two. Just half an hour left. The day had gone fairly well, considering how restless and frazzled everypony was. She’d had to break up a fight between Scootaloo and Silver Spoon during recess. Neither one would explain what had started the brawl, so she had given each of them a note to take home and have signed by their parents. The afternoon had turned into a relatively productive geography lesson as they discussed the various duchies that each of the Princesses presided over.

Diamond Tiara raised a hoof. Cheerilee hesitated, she was pretty sure that Diamond was somehow behind the fight earlier, but, as a teacher, she had to give her students the benefit of the doubt. “Yes, Diamond Tiara?”

“So, isn’t Apple Bloom a princess too?”

Cheerilee took a moment to reply, choosing her words carefully. “She is, but not the same sort of princess that Mara, Luna and Celestia are. The Royal Sisters are sovereign princesses specifically. Meaning that they rule the entire land jointly. Apple Bloom is a princess because she’s directly related to one of the royal princesses. Just like Prince Blueblood the nephew of Celestia.”

Diamond wasn’t done. “But, like, doesn’t Blueblood own land too?”

“Well, yes. He is over Canterlot county inside the duchy of Canterlot. Now, that is an interesting arrangement, unique to Equestria. In Griffrance, only a count can…” Cheerilee paused. Diamond Tiara had her hoof in the air and was waving it wildy, nearly bouncing out of her seat with the motion. I could just ignore her. I could just ignore her and we can have good end to the day and talk about Griffrance and work in a little world history… Cheerilee’s smile finally wavered. She couldn’t ignore any of her students. All of them needed a chance every day… Even the worst ones. “Yes, Diamond Tiara?”

“So, where is Apple Bloom’s county?”

Cheerilee racked her brains. “I think it was Appleloosa. Is that right Apple Bloom?”

Apple Bloom nervously nodded. “Ah think so.”

Diamond Tiara didn’t wait to be called upon this time. “Wow, so Prince Blueblood is in charge of the richest city in the whole world, but you just have a teeny little ghost town in the desert.” Hanging unsaid in the air were the words, some princess you are.

Cheerilee held her breath. She couldn’t, technically, do anything about what Diamond had just said. On the other hoof, if Apple Bloom rose to the bait, Cheerilee wasn’t sure she’d choose to ‘hear’ the response. Apple Bloom slunk down in her chair, embarrassed at the attention and stung by the comment. Scootaloo, and even Sweetie Belle, looked ready to start pulling hair and throwing kicks.

The clock ticked off a few tense seconds. Cheerilee breathed out slowly. It didn’t look like anypony was going to do anything this time. “Well, Diamond Tiara, even a relatively new county like Appleloosa is a big responsibility. Why don’t we spend some time this week studying about the history of Everfree county where we live. I’ll have Twilight put aside some books for each of you when we visit the library tomorrow. For now, let’s dismiss early. Have a wonderful day!”

Diamond Tiara smirked triumphantly as she and Silver Spoon cantered out the door. Meanwhile, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were trying to pry Apple Bloom out from under her desk. When the rest of the students had shuffled out, Cheerilee trotted over to the trio. “Excuse me girls.” She knelt down to where Apple Bloom was huddled. The filly had covered her face with her hooves. Cheerilee leaned in and gently nuzzled her. “Shshsh… Apple Bloom… Are you ok?”

Apple Bloom shook her head and sniffed slightly.

“Come here, it’s ok if you need to cry.” Apple Bloom stayed where she was. Cheerilee continued gently stroking her back, not saying anything. After a moment, the shuddering little filly calmed down. Cheerilee began pulling away, but she was stopped by a pair of little hooves wrapping around her neck. Apple Bloom began sobbing in earnest now.

Her friends stayed in the room until Apple Bloom was ready to head home. Scootaloo looked on with embarrassment, Sweetie with a watery-eyed smile.

***

Applejack sat at the kitchen table. Granny had been quite excited to see the bouquet that Applejack had brought home for dinner and was busy putting together a hearty berry and fresh apple salad to go with them. Big Mac, Merry and Blooms weren’t back yet for dinner. As AJ sat, she thought back on the past couple of days. The absolute enormity of what had happened to her once again threatened to overwhelm her. She was a goddess and a princess. There were millions of ponies reading about her coronation, right now, in the news. Every single one of them would be able to recognize her on sight as Princess Mara, Goddess of the Earth. She was responsible for all of them, well, one-third responsible anyway.

She closed her eyes and centered herself the way that Pinkie had shown her. Deep down, her larger self seemed to feel that things had happened the way they should have, mostly. The result was fine, but something behind it was wrong. After a moment, she felt the sharp rap of a wooden spoon against her hindquarters.

“Move yer caboose. Yuh bin sittin’ ‘n’ stewin’ so long yer takin’ root.”

Applejack turned her head towards Granny Smith, then looked down at her hind hooves. She was right. The floorboards had warped and sent forth little tendrils to wrap around her legs. “Well Ah’ll be. That Ah am.” Briefly Applejack wondered what would happen if she meditated in a field of stone. “Don’t worry Granny. Ah’ll fix it.”

“You’d better! Hardwood floors’re expensive!” she said, as she turned back to her cooking.

Applejack reached down and pulled the tendrils loose with her mouth. They clung reluctantly to her fur, but they were also far more malleable than dead wood. Reaching out a forehoof, she firmly pressed down on one of the fibers, forcing it back into the grain. “Sorry, Ah made a mistake bringin’ you ta life. It ain’t what yer supposed ta be right now.” Applejack worked slowly, pulling the energy in the wood back into herself. It was much simpler than the sort of magic that Twilight kept trying to teach her. This sprang from someplace deeper. It felt like what her family did during zap-apple season. There was no reason at all that a pony should paint pink polka-dots all over their kitchen when making jam, but they filled a spot where something needed to be. It didn’t make sense that she needed to whisper to the planks or gently caress them back into shape, but it felt necessary at the same time.

From outside, a familiar voice called out. “Princess Mara?” Applejack continued working, oblivious. “Ahem, Applejack?” This time the voice was right beside her. Applejack started and banged her horn on the underside of the table.

“Horsefeathers, that hurt!” She turned to see who it was. It was Cheerilee, carrying a weepy-looking Apple Bloom on her back. “Apple Bloom, ya alright?” The little filly shook her head and jumped off of Cheerilee’s back straight into the waiting arms of her sister.

Cheerilee looked on sadly. “She’s had a hard day today. Some of the other fillies said some unkind things in class, one of her friends got into a fight, and everypony was a bit exhausted from yesterday. Something to consider is that the last two weeks have been very different from her routine, in fairly dramatic ways, and that tends to make younger ponies somewhat emotionally vulnerable. I know it’s difficult considering your situation, but you should consider trying to normalize your routine as much as possible for her sake.”

From somewhere in Applejack’s copious embrace, a tired little voice mumbled out, “Ah ain’t ‘motionally insecure.”

Applejack smirked down at the filly who seemed to be doing her level best to burrow into her chest. She then turned back to Cheerilee, her expression serious. “Ah’ll see what Ah can do ta make things a bit more stable ‘round here.”

Cheerilee nodded and lifted a hoof as if to trot off, but she hesitated a moment. “Applejack… is it ok if I still call you that?”

“Yup, Ah mean, shoot, y’all were mah teacher fer a little while.”

Cheerilee trotted closer to Applejack, until their noses were almost touching. Apple Bloom rustled around in Applejack’s grip to see what was going on. “You know, Applejack, in the larger picture of things, you really aren’t that many years older than Apple Bloom, but life keeps throwing more and more at you. I really wonder who you are, deep down, to grow up the way you have in the circumstances that you did. I want you to promise me that you will remember that you were always strong.”

“Uh, thanks, Miss Cheerilee. Ah will.”

“Good to hear. Chin-up both of you, and have a wonderful evening!” She trotted away happily.

“Bye, Miss Cheerilee!” More quietly, Applejack asked Apple Bloom, “Whut in tarnation was that all about?”

***

A few hours later saw the Apples, plus Merry, sitting down to a quiet rose dinner. Granny Smith offered a little prayer, and they dug in quite happily.

Merry was especially impressed at the meal. “I’ve never had good home cooking like this before. Yer some kinda genius in the kitchen, Mrs. Smith.”

“Thank ya dearie. Ah’ve had enough practice Ah oughta be pretty good at it bah now.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac was chewing slowly, a blissful look on his face. It had been quite a long time since any of them had eaten a more extravagant dinner. Turning to Apple Bloom, he asked, “How was yer day?”

Apple Bloom glared down at her plate. “Do ya really want ta know?”

Big Mac nudged her gently. “A’course.”

Apple Bloom took a deep breath, “Well, we’re all royalty now an ever’thin’ an’ Ah guess Ah thought it’d be differnt’n this ‘cause Ah jest thought things’d jest kinda be normal ‘n’ stuff but Ah’d be this super powerful princess with a tiara ‘n’ mah class’d be all impressed, but they wouldn’t treat me any differnt ‘n’ Ah don’t really know whut Ah was thinkin’ ‘cause it was like Ah was treated like a princess, but Ah weren’t even special ‘r differnt an’ Diamond Tiara an’ Silver Spoon made fun a me in recess an Ah was jest gonna ignore it but Scootaloo started a fight ‘n’ got in trouble ‘cause a me and now mah class thinks Ah’m tha Worst. Princess. Ever.” As she finished, she let her drooping head bonk dramatically against the table. The effect was ruined when she immediately jerked back and started rubbing her forehead in mild pain.

Applejack shook her head, “Ya been takin’ lessons from Rarity? Relax, we’re gonna make sure that things settle down. Ya gotta remember, Blooms, that we ain’t any different from other folks. We gotta do things a little differently around here now, but we’re still like everypony else. Like Miss Cheerilee said, we need ta get a schedule goin’ so that...” Applejack was cut off by a scroll flashing into existence in front of her and flopping onto her plate.

Applejack rolled her eyes and batted the scroll off of the table and into the wall where it stuck for a moment before sliding down, covered in berry juice. “And tha first step is gonna be makin’ sure we have a good regular dinner like civilized folk. Ah swear, Celestia probably sits in her throne room jest waitin’ fer tha exact wrong time ta send these things.” Merry May started towards the letter, but Applejack gave her a cross look. “Leave it, dinner time is family time, and Canterlot can burn fer all Ah care, but it ain’t gettin’ in tha way of a sit-down dinner.”

“Um, but I’m not family, technically. Maybe I can deal with it while y’all just eat?”

Applejack shrugged. “Suit yerself.”

Merry May grabbed the letter and headed into the parlor to read it. It did have one thing going for it, it was probably the tastiest letter that she had ever carried, thanks to Granny Smith’s berry salad. She unfurled the letter and skimmed its typewritten contents.

HSIH Princess Mara,

I am writing to inform you of the impending arrival of Prof. House Divided. He has contacted the palace with the information that he will have departed on the 5:00 pm train to Ponyville. Princess Celestia has also requested that you be sent a portion of your personal funds via express teleport, so be ready for their delivery within the next few minutes.

Your servant,

Triplicate, Undersecretary to HSIH Princess Celestia

Merry May looked at the clock. It was currently 6:30. The train from Canterlot usually took around two and a half hours, so she needed to get ready to head out soon to be there early to meet the professor. It took her a few minutes to find paper and a pencil to make a simple sign reading, ‘Prof. Divided’ and another minute to tie her turban. She was getting fairly good at it, but she wondered if it wouldn’t be cheating to have the pony at Carousel Boutique stitch a little lining into it so she could take it off and put it on easily.

From the dining room came a sudden crash followed by a jangling, clinking noise that went on for an improbably long time. “Con-sarn it, Celestia!” Applejack’s voice rang out loud and clear. Merry’s ears flattened against her head as she realized that she had actually forgotten the most urgent part of the letter. Scooping up a few of the bits that had rolled all the way into the parlor, she quickly rushed out the door.

***

Merry May had made very good time to the train-station.

It always made Merry a little uncomfortable waiting around in stations. On the rare occasions when she had taken the train instead of flying, she had always made sure to be exactly on-time. She had made sure to secure a bench to herself, but she couldn’t shut out the few other occupants of the station. On the edge of the platform a couple was kissing their teary goodbyes, blithely ignoring how public they were being. On one of the other benches sat a ragged palomino mare who seemed to be all skin and bones and mange. The palomino was clutching a tiny bindle as if it were her very lifeline… Perhaps it was.

Merry slipped a coin out of her turban and looked at it. She had grabbed the money with the intent of paying for any needs that the professor might have, such as finding lodgings or getting settled. She glanced up only to see the hobo staring hungrily at the coin in her hooves. Merry sighed. I guess I can just have Applejack take it out of anything I earn. Smiling up at the emaciated mare, she tossed the coin at her. The little hobo watched the bit arc through the air with wide eyes, not even blinking when it ended up smacking her in the muzzle. In a flurry of scrabbling hooves, the coin and hobo were soon out of sight.

Merry May shrugged and went back to trying to ignore the sloppy couple still weeping in each other’s faces. Mercifully, the inbound train was a few minutes early. The few other stragglers who had made their way to the station in the meantime had lined up on one side, while a family waited together out on the road. The train came to a squealing, hissing halt and began disgorging passengers. Merry quickly grabbed her sign in her mouth and started displaying it to the ponies who were stepping off the train. One of them finally showed a spark of recognition and started trundling over with a pile of luggage and books. It was a middle-aged unicorn stallion. He had a pink coat that was just starting to grey, which clashed oddly with his sea-blue mane. He was also somewhat pot-bellied and having a hard time with his luggage.

Merry May spat out her sign. “Professor House Divided?”

He nodded, relieved. “Yes, that’s me. And you are… Dame May? Princess Mara’s seneschal?”

Merry blushed a little and puffed out her chest. “Ah guess so…” Seneschal sounded utterly important, whatever it meant. Glancing at his luggage, she offered, “Could Ah get some o’ that for yuh?”

“Ah, yes, please.” House was obviously trying to keep the relief off of his face.

Merry May grabbed a set of saddle bags and a largeish box and arranged them on her back. “Oof, what do you have in these? Bricks?”

“No, books actually.” The professor was still groaning under a sizable load.

“All this for Ap-p-Princess Mara?”

“Of course not, I’m not going to be tutoring her twenty-four-seven after all. I have my own research to do.”

Merry shrugged, not particularly curious. “Well, where’re you planning on staying?”

House paused. “I hadn’t actually given that much thought. I came as soon as I heard that there was an opening as a royal tutor. There isn’t much that looks better on a résumé; let me tell you.”

Merry did a quick tally of her cash, fifteen bits. Not even close to a night at the inn. “I don’t suppose you can afford a hotel room?”

House grinned sheepishly, “Ah, I’m not exactly flush with bits, if you know what I mean. I was sort of hoping that the Princess could put me up somewhere…”

“Don’t worry about it, we’ll find somewhere for you to stay.” Catching one of the porters’ attention, she managed to rent a cart from the station. The luggage fit nicely on the little wagon. Merry strapped herself in and the two set out for Sweet Apple Acres.

***

Dinner was over by the time Merry and House arrived at the farm. Apple Bloom was quietly doing homework with Big Mac’s help. Granny Smith was quilting absently in her chair. Applejack was trying to get a tally of the bits that had been sent. Tall stacks of coin littered the table. She turned as Merry entered and dusted off her hooves. “Howdy, Merry. Where ya been? ‘N’ who’s this feller?”

The professor had just entered behind her. She tapped a hoof against his chest. “This is Professor House Divided. He’s the tutor Celestia sent.”

Applejack nodded. “That must a been what the letter was then. Ah jest wish she’d warned me about tha massive pile a gold she was sendin’ too.”

Merry grinned a little too widely, sweating a bit. “Yeah, that would have been nice.”

House, meanwhile, was busy looking around the room in a mix of horrified realization and confusion. Applejack interrupted his reverie, “Whut’s eatin’ ya? You look paler’n a pigeon with a poisoned peanut.”

House glanced nervously at the princess. “I… I was just admiring how… rustic this all is. It’s very… down-home… Princess.”

Merry gave him a sideways glance. “Okay… Anyway, A-Princess Mara, he’s looking for a place to stay. Set him up in the guest room?”

Applejack frowned. “Well that ain’t proper at all. Y’all ain’t sharin’ a room, even jest fer a night.”

“Darn tootin’!” Granny Smith chimed in.

Merry face-hoofed. “You do know that I live in town, right? I can go home for the night.”

Applejack blushed and adjusted her hair. “Right… Well, thanks fer yer help Merry. Hay, Mac, could you see House upstairs?”

“Eeyup.” He stood up and nodded at the guest.

House shrank visibly upon seeing his host’s stature. “Er, lead on, Prince McIntosh.”

“It’s Big Macintosh.” He rumbled as the two mounted the stairs.

Applejack took Merry aside into the kitchen, away from prying ears. “Sugarcube, Ah been downright inconsiderate of ya today. You’ve been a big help ta me ‘n’ mine. Ah ain’t never been totally comfortable with the idea of servants, so Ah guess Ah been avoidin’ the issue. Ya sacrificed a lot ta come after me, and ya promised yerself to ma service, so, how can Ah take care a you? Do ya still have yer job? Is this still somethin’ ya want ta do?”

Merry May was a little lost for words for a moment. With Applejack so big and looming protectively close, she suddenly remembered why she was following the goddess. For all that Merry and AJ were the same age, Applejack radiated a sort of overpowering maternal beauty when she was concerned. Merry felt like a tiny foal being comforted by a worried mother. Finally, she found her voice. “Yes… Yes, it’s what I want. Um, I don’t think I do have a job anymore. Is being a knight a full-time job? ‘Cause I’d like it to be. Mr. House called me a senchesschal or something. I could move in and do that for you. And…” Merry’s voice trailed off as a blush crept into her cheeks.

“An’ what? Go on…”

“And, could we make it official? Like, have a little knighting ceremony or something? It doesn’t have to be fancy…”

Applejack smiled. “Sure. We can do things proper. Now, here, consider this yer first week’s advance.” She scooped a couple of large stacks of bits into a bag and hoofed it over to Merry. “Go on home fer tha night an’ we’ll figure out how ta get things settled in the mornin’.”

Merry solemnly accepted the money. Reaching in, she pulled out a single bit and gave it back to AJ. “Here, Ah gave one of yours away earlier.”

Applejack opened her mouth, but hesitated a moment before speaking. “Thank you fer yer honesty. Goodnight, Merry.”

“Goodnight, Applejack.” Merry curtsied slightly and trotted out the door.

***

Merry’s house was dark and strange-feeling after so long away. She got ready for bed quickly and set an alarm for six-thirty. She wasn’t sure if she would be able to get any sleep that night, but she was going to try.

Author's Note:

I'm leaving my commentary in the author's notes because I trust you to be mature enough not to say "first post!!! lololol"

Hobo pone belongs to http://askahobopony.tumblr.com/ :heart:

Also a tiny nod in this chapter to Tom Lehrer, a man who will never be as famous for his life's work as he is for a brief stint at musical comedy. :rainbowwild:

I know this chapter is kinda late, but, you know, holidays. As consolation, it's about twice the size that I had planned. Also, I'm in process of moving. Exciting!

Your comments are like the wubs that clash weirdly with my funky melody of literature, but somehow make it work all the same... I'm not sure where I'm going with that analogy. At any rate, I appreciate every piece of feedback!