• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 883 Views, 35 Comments

Erebus: Episode 1: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! - Honey Mead



The Sun and Moon no longer shine over the alabaster walls of Canterlot. A darkness long forgotten has begun to seep through the cracks and erode the morality of those it touches. But at the edge of the light there is shadow, holding back the darkness

  • ...
2
 35
 883

Scene 1

Well dressed ponies trotted up to the newly renovated Royal Sister Music Hall. A white earth pony mare in a sharp red suit and small flat-topped hat stood by the door, bowing her head and smiling at the arriving guests as she held the door to expedite their entrance. The rich nobles paid her no mind.

Rarity’s moment of observation passed as she stepped out of the cab and onto the streets of Canterlot. The cool, crisp mountain air helped to refresh her mood as she made her way to the entrance. Passing the porter, Rarity repaid the smile and added a slight bow of her head. The minute effort proved worthwhile when the blonde mare produced a genuine smile to replace the plastic one she had been wearing.

Continuing on, Rarity stepped into the brand new lobby and marveled at the opulence of the renovations. She’d been there once many years prior, back when she’d been naught but a simple fashionista with delusions of grandeur. This music hall bore only a structural resemblance to the one she recalled.

Where once there had been candlesticks and chandeliers flickering with a soft, orange light, there were now the new magic powered ‘glow bulbs’ casting a far steadier, if less warm, illumination. Gone were the sweet aromas of beeswax and slight sting of smoke, replaced by nothing but the perfumes and colognes of ponies who completely lacked any understanding of subtlety or conservation.

Rarity couldn’t help but grimace at the audacity of it all. Though her dress was far from a simple affair, and would fetch a high price at any store, it was hers. From conception to creation, every stitch, loop, and inch of fabric was hers. The ponies that surrounded her wore suits and dresses with the names of famous designers, knowing nothing else. They strutted about like peacocks, displaying the things they owned as though it reflected anything more than the money their parents had left to them.

An odd glance from a passing pony brought Rarity back to the present, her agitated expression melting into a light blush at her faux pas.

Closing her eyes, Rarity took a calming breath to center herself, her magic reaching out to straighten the nonexistent bunches in her dress. This was not just another social event; this was her chance to reestablish herself. She could not afford such thoughts and doubts. Her eyes reopened. A gracious smile forced the corners of her lips up—it would be enough to fool these snobs.

The hall was filled with well dressed ponies, all wealthy aristocrats or government officials—or both. There had been a time when she desired to be counted as an equal amongst these ponies; how foalish she had been. She’d been forced to reassess a great many things in the past years, and the first had been her views on high society. Still, they were not all bad.

“I say, Lady Rarity? Is that you?”

Flipping her mane with practiced grace, she turned to face the welcome voice. “Fancypants? Why, dah-ling, it has been simply ages. How are you doing?”

“Marvelous, simply marvelous, my dear,” he replied. A simple, if expensive, black coat and blue tie adorned the white stallion’s chest and neck. He lifted her hoof in one of his own, his carefully trimmed mustache tickling her fetlock as he kissed it. “You’re as beautiful as you were the day we met. But, I must ask, what have you been up to these past years? I haven’t seen bit nor bridle with your name since...” His smile faltered slightly as his voice trailed off as though they were unwilling to utter the words.

Rarity quickly moved to fill the awkward silence. “Well, I decided to take some time for myself. A sabbatical, as t’were. This is, in truth, my first outing since my return to Canterlot.”

“Then allow me to be the first to welcome you back. Come, there are ponies here to whom I simply must introduce you. They will be ever so delighted to finally meet the legendary Lady Rarity.”

Her smile became just a slight more genuine. “Quite.”

Rarity’s eyes seemed to take in every detail as they approached the first group of ponies. The former, and soon to be returned, fashionista nearly gasped in recognition of the cream coated earth pony at the center of attention. She wore what normally would have been called a business cut dress were it not for the maroon and pink coloring that matched her mane and the way it accentuated her form.

“Chancellor,” Rarity said, offering her hoof and a smile, “it’s a pleasure to see you again.”

“Rarity. This is a surprise.” The two mares hooves touched briefly. “Please, there is no need for titles between old friends.”

“Of course, Roseluck. Congratulations on your re-election.”

“Thank you, though it took so little effort on my part, I’m not sure I deserve the congratulations.”

Rarity did not miss the twist of inflections, nor did she hold back the expected praise. “But you do, dear. Being unopposed is only proof that you deserve the position all the more.”

“Hehe, there might be some truth to that. But I’m afraid you have me at a great disadvantage. My life has no doubt been plastered about the newspapers and is of little interest. I, however, haven’t the slightest idea what you’ve been up to for the past, what has it been, six years?”

“I assure you, recounting my recent past would not—”

“R-Rarity?” a familiar voice called out from behind the unicorn. “Rarity, is that you?”

Rarity’s heart jumped into her throat. Joy and fear warred inside her, all of her preparation for this moment had done her no good. Swallowing the lump that threatened to strangle her, she took a deep, calming breath. Turning slowly, she came face-to-face with a piece of her past that she had missed desperately. Joy quickly won out at the sight of the lavender eyes as tears began to form in her own. “Twilight!”

Both unicorns ignored all formality and leapt to close the gap between them, embracing warmly. Twilight, lacking the practiced grace of her friend, began to giggle uncontrollably. “Oh Rarity, heeheehee. You’ve no idea how happy I am to see you.”

“Twilight, darling, I know, I know,” she said, pulling away from the hug. A quick glance back at Fancypants showed the stallion giving a smile and a nod before turning back to the Chancellor. Rarity took a step back from her friend and began to circle her. “I see I have returned just in time,” she said, casting a critical eye over the other mare’s outfit. Twilight wore a silver crown studded with sapphire gems and a purple cape lined with white fur. “Where did you get that... thing? Please tell me that isn’t from the Hearth’s Warming Eve pageant.”

Twilight blushed, trying to shrug deep into the high collar. “Maybe...”

“That simply will not do. Do you not have seamstresses? Surely you have something more modern you could wear.”

“Unfortunately, I’m not simply Twilight Sparkle anymore,” she sighed, “and ponies expect a certain appearance.”

“Well of course they do, and you should meet those expectations, but that does not mean you can’t be fabulous.” Rarity stopped in front of her friend. “The crown is... a little much; a tiara, however... and that cape. No, that simply will not do. Give me two days and I will have a proper outfit designed for you.” Twilight opened her mouth to protest, but Rarity quickly cut her off. “It wasn’t a request, dear.” Rarity paused again, eyeing Twilight up and down a final time. “Your measurements have changed slightly—”

Twilight cut her off, throwing her forelegs around the other’s neck. Tears sprung to the corners of her eyes. “That would be wonderful, Rarity. Thank you.”

The two pulled apart again, only for Rarity to gasp. “Where are my manners?” Leading with her left foreleg, she bowed, nearly touching her horn to the carpeted floor. “My apologies, Princess.”

“Nonono! Please don’t do that.” Twilight pulled her friend out of the bow. “Not you. It’s enough from everypony else, but not my friends.”

Magicking her dress straight, Rarity said, “If you insist. I can’t say that I agree, but I understand. Now tell me, how have the others been? I’ve tried to keep tabs on everypony, but... well, the others stayed out of the papers.”

Twilight’s face fell. The tears that had been threatening to overrun her eyes dried up. She sighed heavily. “Things... have been difficult since you left. We’ve all changed... the world’s changed,” she finished weakly, her eyes cast to the floor.

Rarity winced at the sudden shift of Twilight’s mood and quickly moved to recover the conversation. Lifting the unicorn’s chin, she looked into her friend’s eyes. She froze for a moment as she finally took in Twilight’s face. Gone was the bookish filly she had known. In her place was a mare, haggard and drawn, struggling to carry the burden no mortal pony was meant to bear. “Perhaps we should speak of these things later,” Rarity offered. “After the show we will get together over a cup of tea.”

Twilight nodded, forcing a smile. “Yes, I think I’d like that.”

There was a pause as the two unicorns searched each other’s eyes for more to say, neither wanting to continue, neither wanting to leave. One with questions that could only cause pain, the other with nothing but pain to offer. Rarity tried to summon up her voice, but words failed her.

Twilight finally broke the silence. “I... I must go make my rounds and... I’m sure you have other ponies you wish to speak to.”

“Yes... of course... after the concert then?” Rarity asked, unable to keep the disappointment from her voice.

“Yes... after the concert,” Twilight nodded.

After one last soft embrace, the two smiled at each other before heading their separate ways.

Rarity watched from the corner of her eye as her old friend disappeared back into the crowd. She took a moment to compose herself. She had assumed Twilight would be there—she had been counting on it—but this was not what she expected. How bad could things have really gotten that they couldn’t speak of their friends? Rarity allowed herself an unladylike nicker to cast aside the thoughts; everything would be sorted out soon enough.

Ready to face the aristocracy once again, she turned, expecting to find Fancypants standing close by. Disappointment finally broke through her facade at the lack of the debonair stallion, her muzzle turning down in a pitiable frown. He was her anchor in this sea of self-important arrogance. His chivalry had never ceased to amaze and comfort her. From the first time they had met all those years ago, he was one of the few nobles who seemed worthy of the title. Unbidden memories of a gala long ago surfaced. If only Fancypants had been a prince, instead of—

“Him!” Rarity’s voice dripped with venom at the sight of the white stallion sauntering into the lobby. That snout pointed ever so slightly up at the rafters, those golden locks of mane laying limp across his brow, and that overpriced collar and tie adorning his chest and neck, of course he would be in attendance as well.

‘Ex’ prince Blueblood—she smiled evilly at the title—entered as though he owned the theater. His bored expression didn’t alter as he cast his gaze about the room, lacking the decency to even pretend that anypony else could possibly be worth his time. Rarity had half a mind to slap him out of principle.

“Miss Belle?”

For what seemed the tenth time in as many minutes, Rarity turned at the sound of a vaguely familiar voice calling her name. The brown stallion behind her wore a white jacket over a black shirt. An alabaster tie accented the outfit with a large pin in the shape of a money sign holding it in place against his chest. His jet-black mane glistened from the wax used to slick it back.

Rarity barely managed to maintain her composure. “Filthy! How... nice it is to see you again.”

“Please, I prefer Rich.”