• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 3,436 Views, 111 Comments

Star-Crossed - Enter Madness



When Lady Rainbow Dash, a young Canterlot noble, meets Applejack, a poor apple farmer, can their love survive corrupt nobles, a dissenting populace, and the class struggle threatening to boil over in Equestria?

  • ...
10
 111
 3,436

Change is Coming

Applejack fidgeted. It was difficult not to, standing in front of so many ponies. She had no idea that there were so many servants in the castle, and these were only the ones who had that day off.

She stood on the soapbox in the old abandoned Canterlot dungeons, a crowd of over a hundred ponies stretching out before her. She held their rapt attention, despite not having said anything interesting yet. In fact, she had yet to say anything at all. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Quince smiling, watching his newest prospect prepare to deliver a speech. It had only been a few days since Applejack had joined Quince in his cause, but word in the castle spread fast.

Inhaling deeply, Applejack closed her eyes. She focused on why she was here, what had led her to join Quince: the pain inflicted upon those she loved by Prince Blueblood. The thoughts lit a fire inside her, fed by her emotions until it grew into a raging inferno of raw feeling. She exhaled.

“I was raised on an apple farm in the small town of Ponyville,” she started, her calm demeanor not betraying what she felt inside. Her heart was pounding. “The way I was brought up, it was easy to see the difference between what was right and what was wrong. If it was right, you did it, and if it was wrong, you didn’t. It was as simple as that. It still is. I try to do the right thing, and I try to avoid doing the wrong thing. Life should work out, right?” Her face darkened. “Well, it doesn’t.

“Some ponies ain’t like that. Some ponies think that they can do whatever they want, whether it’s right or not, and to Tartarus with the consequences. Some ponies like Prince Blueblood.” There were some hisses from the crowd at the name. “I will admit,” Applejack continued, “I wasn’t too keen on this whole operation at first, but after seein’ what Blueblood’s capable of, I will do anything to stop him.” Twilight’s battered and beaten face ran through Applejack’s mind, spurring her onward.

“Some ponies say that most of the nobles are okay,” she said. “I’m not necessarily disagreein’, but if they’re such good ponies, then why don’t they do something about Blueblood? Wouldn’t that be the right thing to do?” A chorus of assent rose from the crowd. “How can they just stand by if they know about what he’s doin’? I’ll tell you how. It’s because they’re selfish!”

Applejack wasn’t aware of herself. She was almost shouting now, her voice channeling her anger not just at Blueblood, but at Rainbow Dash. It was irrational to be angry at Rainbow before she had a chance to explain everything, but Applejack couldn’t help it. She felt like she was watching herself give the speech; her words were running away from her, and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to reign them in.

“They’re all selfish in the most basic meanin’ of the word,” she continued. “They think that because they’re not the ones bein’ hurt, they don’t have to do anything about it! They think that since there’s no skin off their backs, they can just ignore the problem! But it turns out that they are the problem, whether they want to admit it or not. Blueblood thinks he can get away with this because the rest of the nobles have let him his entire life; he’s just a result of their laziness!”

Quince stood in Applejack’s peripheral vision, smiling. The crowd was watching Applejack intensely, hanging on the edge of her words and waiting for the next ones to come sweep them away.

“Some ponies will argue that Blueblood is responsible for himself, and that he is completely in control of his own actions. That’s true, but why won’t the other nobles do anything about it? This has been going on for far too long. First he killed Quince’s sister, and now he’s hurt Twilight! How many more will suffer at his hoof if we don’t stop him? And how many have already suffered because the nobles won’t do a damn thing about it?

“I haven’t been here long, and I know ya’ll don’t really have a reason to trust me, but all I ask is that you do. The nobles have been in charge this long, and look what happened. If we stand together, we can earn our equality the right way, by doing the right thing, and put a stop to this injustice. They can’t seem to put being decent in front of their desire for wealth and power, so it’s up to us to pick up the slack, it’s up to us do stand up and do something about it, and it’s up to us to make sure nothin’ like this happens ever again! So, are ya’ll on board?”

“Yes!” the crowd exclaimed. Applejack knew they would be.

“What do we do next?” somepony called.

“Yeah, what next?” another shouted.

“What next?” Applejack said. “Well, next we’ll... um, well, we’ll have to... hm.” Her verbal momentum came to a screeching halt. What was next? She hadn’t thought that far ahead.

Then, Quince was on the soapbox, nudging Applejack to the edge. “Next, we spread the word!” he yelled. Applejack stepped off the box. “Tell everypony you see, and write letters to those you don’t, that we are organizing! Not just here in the castle, but throughout Canterlot, throughout Equestria! This is the beginning of a revolution! We are uniting against our common foe, and change is coming. That’s right, change is coming!” He raised his hoof into the air. “Change is coming! Change is coming!” The crowd started chanting with him, hypnotized by his words. “Change is coming! Change is coming!”

Applejack found herself whispering the words under her breath. Quince was grinning as he yelled the words; he was louder than anypony else there. “Change is coming! Change is coming!”

“Alright!” Quince called. “Alright, settle down.” He waited for the shouts to die before continuing. “I do have a few more things to say. First, be cautious. I know this is exciting; I am just as giddy with anticipation as the rest of you, but we must not let our hoof slip. It is imperative that the nobles not know what’s happening until it has already happened, and for that, we will need the utmost silence. Spread the word, yes, but be careful, my friends.

“Second,” he said, gesturing to Applejack, “is our good friend Applejack. Let’s hear a round of applause for the mare who has proven that it is possible to defy Blueblood, and the mare behind whom we all stand!”

Cheers sprang up like wildfire in the crowd, spreading and consuming until it becoming a single mass of applause and commendation. Applejack gulped and smiled with too much teeth. The crowd was going absolutely nuts over her. Quince was looking down at her, framed by a magelight, smiling and stamping a single hoof against the soapbox.

The crowd’s excitement eventually faded, however, and they settled for talking amongst themselves. Applejack caught a few glances that were tossed in her direction, but whenever she made eye contact, the pony would look away.

She walked over to Quince, who was standing separate from the crowd. “Why is everypony treatin’ me like this?” she asked, glancing back at the crowd and seeing at least three ponies staring at her.

Quince followed her eyes. “Like what?” he asked.

“LIke I’m important,” Applejack answered.

Quince laughed out loud. “Because you are important, Applejack. You mean something to these ponies; you’re the answer they never knew they were looking for. I may inspire these ponies with mere words, but you did it with actions, and you,” he put a hoof on her shoulder, “are a pony they can rally behind, a pony they can look up to, and a pony they can adore.”

Applejack shrugged his hoof off. “I don’t want to be adored, Quince, I just want what’s right. You’re turnin’ me into a symbol, and I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that.”

“Well, it’s what you signed up for,” Quince said. “I told you from the beginning what my intentions for you were, and you agreed.” He smiled. “Come on, Applejack, lighten up! Once we get what we deserve, you can go live your quiet life in Ponyville if you want, away from all the celebrity. But until then, all I ask is that you endure, and try to enjoy the attention.” He looked back at the crowd. It was Applejack’s turn to follow his gaze, and she saw more eyes than she could count turned toward them. Quince’s smile grew wider. “After all,” he said, “it’s not every day one gets to be famous.”

Applejack gave a weak wave to the crowd. “But I was only doin’ what was right,” she whispered to Quince. “Is that really so deservin’ of all this?

Quince laughed again, but this time there was a hint of bitterness in it. “You’d be surprised just how rare that is around here, Applejack.”

(*)

Two nurses stood just inside the door to the infirmary, watching a very still Lady Rainbow Dash sit next to Twilight’s bed, holding her friend’s hoof.

“How long has she been here?” one of the nurses, the one who had just arrived for her shift, asked.

The other nurse shrugged. “All day. She was here when I got here this morning and I don’t think I’ve seen her move from that spot. She only just stopped reading to the poor dear.”

The first nurse frowned. “It seems... strange, doesn’t it? For her to have such an attachment to one of her servants?”

“Yes, but I suppose it’s for the best that she take an interest in us.”

“Why is that?” the first nurse asked, furrowing her brow.

“Haven’t you heard? The Lady Dash is engaged to Prince Blueblood,” she explained.

“What does that have to do with it?”

“Can you imagine if both ponies in the most powerful couple in Canterlot were like Blueblood?” She shuddered. “I’d prefer at least one of them to have some compassion.”

“Huh. I never thought to look at it that way.”

The second nurse smiled. “And that’s why you’re on the night shift.” Then she was gone, her delicate laughter following her all the way down the hall.

The remaining nurse started toward Twilight’s bed, muttering under her breath, “I’ll show her a night shift.” When she reached the Lady Dash’s side, she bowed and put on a smile. “Good evening, Lady Dash. Is there anything I can get for you?”

Rainbow Dash looked up. “I know you think you’re helping yourself out by being nice to me,” she said, “but there’s somepony here who needs a lot more attention than I do. Why don’t you ask her if she needs anything.”

The nurse gulped. “Of course, Lady Dash.” She turned to Twilight. “Is there anything I can get you, Twilight?”

Twilight, whose eyes were unfocused from the painkillers, turned to whatever had just spoken to her. “Water,” she whispered, her voice still a little hoarse.

“Of course, right away,” the nurse said, bowing to Rainbow Dash again before making a swift retreat from an awkward conversation.

Rainbow Dash squeezed Twilight’s hoof. “I’m sorry,” she said, staring at the sheets that hung over the bed like a ghost. “I’m so sorry, Twilight.”

“Sorry for what?” Twilight asked. Her words were a little slurred.

“For everything,” Rainbow Dash answered. She gestured toward Twilight’s face, which wasn’t as swollen anymore but which was still dark with bruises and marred by cuts. “This was all my fault,” she said. “You were protecting me, and you had already done so much, and I always took it for granted.” Her voice started to quiver. “We’re friends, Twilight, and I was treating you like a servant, like it was your job to arrange meetings for me and Applejack. I don’t even remember if I ever thanked you for it...”

She looked away, blinking back tears. “I just... I’m sorry, okay? But I promise I’ll make it up to you. I don’t care what it takes, I swear that I’ll make this right.”

There was a long silence. Then, “...Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow looked up. “Yeah, Twilight?”

“Will you read to me some more?”

Smiling, Rainbow said, “of course.”

She reached down beside her chair and pulled from the top of a stack of books Daring Do and the Curse of the Cobalt Cobra. She opened it to her marked page and began reading.

“Daring Do leapt from the tree, grabbing wildly at every vine she fell passed in an effort to halt her descent. She looked up to see the vicious jaguar who was pursuing her had done the same, and was approaching with alarming speed. In one last desperate bid for safety, Daring reached out and...”

Rainbow Dash’s reading was interrupted by the soft sound of Twilight’s snores. She smiled, shook her head, closed the book, and settled in for the night.

(*)

Everywhere she went, Applejack was recognized by ponies she had never even met. Walking through the halls, almost every servant she passed whispered “change is coming” under their breath. Those three words uttered by Quince during his last speech had transformed into the mantra of the revolution, spoken by those who were not privileged with voices that quivered with excitement.

Applejack didn’t give any more speeches after that first one. Quince had told her that it was enough that she had pledged herself to the cause, and now she just had to be present when he spoke. The servants would get the message, he said. And if not, he would shout it at them until they did.

It was a week since Twilight had been beaten by Blueblood, and Applejack had yet to speak to Rainbow Dash. She had passed her a few times in the halls, but when she did, Rainbow Dash didn’t speak to her or acknowledge her presence, even if they were alone. The last time it had happened, Applejack had said something, but Rainbow Dash had ignored her. Applejack stopped hoping to see her after that.

Applejack wanted to go see Twilight, but between her maid duties and Quince, she barely had time to breathe, let alone go visit her ailing friend.

Although passing servants in the halls of the palace was uncomfortable for Applejack, passing royalty was even worse. Every second she spent within earshot of one of the nobles was one second too long; she felt like guilt was plastered all over her face for what she was doing, and that any second she would be called out on her activities and punished.

These were her thoughts as she scrubbed one of the hallways in the east wing of the palace and she heard the distant clopping of hooves on the floor from behind her. She kept her head down and continued scrubbing; whoever it was, whatever they wanted, it wouldn’t involve her.

The sound grew louder as the pony grew closer. They were walking slowly, taking their time with getting to wherever they were going, and a mounting sense of dread overtook Applejack as they got closer. The fur on the back of her neck stood on end and she suppressed a shudder.

Then, there was no more noise. The pony had stopped right behind her, casting a shadow over her work. Her scrubbing slowed, but she didn’t dare turn around for fear of what she would see.

“Ahem.”

Applejack stopped scrubbing. She stood up, steeled her nerves, and spun around. Then, her blood froze.

It was Prince Blueblood. Applejack dipped into a hasty bow.

He smiled. It was brimming with venom. “You’re Applejack, correct?” he asked.

Applejack gulped, then nodded.

“Excellent,” Blueblood continued, “you’re just the pony I wanted to see. I would like you to come with me to my chambers so that we may have a little... chat.”

“Why me?” Applejack blurted out before she could stop herself.

“Do not question me,” Blueblood responded. “It is not a request.”

He turned and walked away. After a moment of hesitation, Applejack started after him, then stopped. Then Twilight’s face flashed through her mind and she started again. Whatever Blueblood wanted, it couldn’t be worse than what would happen if she disobeyed him.

The walking was done in silence. Blueblood’s chambers were in the east wing, so it didn’t take long for them to arrive. A servant posted outside the door opened it as Blueblood approached, then bowed as they walked in. As Applejack crossed the threshold, she caught the tail end of a “change is coming” aimed at her.

There were two more servants inside. Applejack recognized them from the meetings, but she couldn’t remember their names.

“Sit,” Blueblood commanded, gesturing to a small cushion on the floor. He himself sat in an ornate chair fashioned like a throne. It seemed like everything in the room was made to match the chair, to exude a sophisticated and pretentious air. Applejack thought she would go insane if she had to live in such a place.

“I’m fine with standin’, thanks,” Applejack responded.

Blueblood leveled his gaze at her. “Sit.”

Applejack sat.

“Would you like something to drink, Applejack?” Blueblood suggested. “Some wine, perhaps?”

Applejack gritted her teeth. Why was Blueblood being so cordial? “No, thanks.”

Blueblood shrugged. “Suit yourself,” he said. Then he turned to one of the servants. “Bring me a glass of wine.” The servant bowed and left the room through an entrance in the back.

“So, Applejack,” Blueblood said, leaning forward, “I’m going to cut right to the chase. It has been divulged to me by certain parties that our dear Lady Rainbow Dash has been... cavorting... with one of the serving staff. This action is made even more disgusting by the fact that their rendezvous were romantic in nature. This, obviously, is not acceptable, especially not from a noblepony who is going to be my bride, and I would like to do my best to ensure that nothing of this sort ever happens again. That’s where you come in.”

Applejack frowned. “What do you need me for?” she asked, struggling to keep up a calm facade. All she could think about was Twilight; she had to focus to keep herself in the chair. Half of her wanted to run, and the other half wanted to lunge over and hit Blueblood in the face.

The servant returned from the door in the back, carrying a silver tray with a glass of blood-red liquid on it. He set it on the small end table next to Blueblood’s chair, bowed, and stepped back to join the other servant against the wall.

“Applejack,” Blueblood said, “are you familiar with how interrogation works?” Applejack shook her head, then glanced toward the door, measuring out how many paces it would take to reach it. “You should be,” he continued, “and I will need you to be for what is ahead.

“Most ponies assume that pain is the key to the truth; this is not true. Pain may only make the victim lie further. They may admit to things they haven’t even done, which makes for a rather unreliable source. Not to say pain doesn’t have its applications, just that it doesn’t work on everypony. One other way I enjoy getting the truth is through surprise. If you make the victim uncomfortable, get them off their guard, and then startle them with a sudden accusation, they will often unwittingly reveal their hoof before they have time to cover for themselves.

“Applejack, I know that you are the servant who was seeing the Lady Dash.”

Applejack’s body froze while her mind raced for an answer. How had he found out?

“I don’t know what you’re talkin’ about,” Applejack said, her tone wooden and mechanical.

Blueblood laughed. “Oh come now, Applejack, it wasn’t difficult to figure out. I saw you the day you arrived, so I know you’re new. It was only soon after that that Lady Dash’s mother allowed her to leave her tower and sneak off to Celestia knows where. Then when I heard that Rainbow Dash was seeing an ingrate, it wasn’t difficult to figure out who. Even then, though, I couldn’t be sure, not until your complete inability to lie gave you away.”

Applejack examined Blueblood head to hoof, trying to decide if she would be able to outrun him. Even then, where would she go? There were guards all over the castle, so it wasn’t like she could get away.

“What’re you gonna do to me?” she asked, her voice shaking.

Blueblood leaned back into his throne. “For now, I will throw you in the dungeon. After Lady Dash and I are wed, I will torture you in front of her until you are at your breaking point to ensure that she never disobeys me again, lest the consequences be even more severe.”

Applejack just stared. He was so calm, so collected, like he had just told Applejack what he was going to have for lunch that day. If she weren’t frozen in place, Applejack would have shuddered.

Her eyes darted to the door. It was closed, but she was a few feet closer to it than Blueblood was. If she went now, she might be caught. But if she didn’t... well, she didn’t want to think about that.

Applejack’s heart was beating in her ears, filling her head. She knew she had to move, had to go before Blueblood took her to the dungeon, but she was rooted in place. Then, she caught the looks of the servants standing against the wall; they were looking at Applejack, eyes wide, and gesturing toward the door with their heads.

That did it. Applejack shook herself from her stupor, shot to her hooves, and sprinted for the door.

Blueblood was on her in a second. She couldn’t believe how fast he was; he had caught her before she had even reached the door. He grabbed her back leg with his hoof and held her in place.

“Really, Applejack?” he said, pulling backward. Applejack kicked at him, but missed. “You’re only making things worse for yourself, you know.”

Then there was the sound of shattering glass and his grip loosened enough for Applejack to wriggle out of it and keep running. She got to the door and looked back to see one of the other servants holding a broken wine glass; Blueblood’s head was covered in red liquid, and Applejack couldn’t tell how much was wine and how much was blood.

Blueblood just stood, mouth agape, staring at the servant. The servant stood, holding the glass, dumbfounded by the action he had just committed. In that frozen moment, Applejack remembered that his name was Borro, and he was an immigrant.

“Go!” Borro shouted, breaking the spell.

Applejack nodded, opened the door, and escaped into the hall. Behind her, she heard a furious roar and a thump as something struck a wall inside the room. Then, the door was blown open by the force of Borro crashing through it, the remnants of a pure-white magical aura dissipating around him.

Blueblood slid into the hallway a moment later and turned toward Applejack. Crimson streaks flowed down his face like rivers of blood, and his mane was now in damp strands. Applejack tore her gaze away and continued sprinting down the hall.

She heard his hoofsteps behind her, then saw a guard round the corner ahead of her, coming right toward them.

“Seize her!” Blueblood shouted.

The guard just stared. Applejack raced passed, catching a surprised look from Gamble out of the corner of her eye.

She rounded the corner, narrowly avoiding bumping into the wall, and kept running. She heard Blueblood shout, “are you deaf!?” from behind her, but she barely registered it. Her legs were powerful, her years of work on the farm having built a not-insignificant amount of muscle.

Blueblood was close behind, he had to be, but Applejack didn’t dare look back. She had no destination in mind, but she just had to get away. The maid outfit wasn’t helping; it restricted her movement and made her slower than she would’ve liked, but it would take far too long to stop and take it off.

Just like in every other hallway, the walls were lined with paintings and small tables with ornaments on them. Out of the corner of her eye, Applejack saw movement, but it was too late to get out of the way. One of the tables shot into her path and she collided with it, sending her toppling to the ground.

She threw up her forehooves at the last moment to shield her face, succeeding in bruising her limbs. As she slid along the ground a short distance, her legs chafed against the tile.

After realizing that nothing was broken, Applejack tried to stand back up, but she was stopped by Blueblood. He seized her mane with his hoof and spun her around onto her back. Then he pinned her to the ground with his magic and smiled. With the wine staining red on his white coat, Applejack’s panicked mind thought he looked like a clown. A clown that was most likely about to kill her.

“I’m going to enjoy this,” he said, raising a hoof into the air. Applejack struggled against her magical bonds, but to no avail. She shut her eyes and awaited the blow.

“Stop!”

Applejack opened one eye to see the second shocked expression she had seen on Blueblood’s face that day. He turned around, leaving the bonds on Applejack.

Gamble stood just behind Blueblood. He towered over the prince, who was not a small pony to begin with.

“What did you say to me?” Blueblood asked, his voice like ice.

“By order of the Royal Guard,” Gamble continued, “I command you to stop attempting to hurt this mare.”

Blueblood stuck his snout close to Gamble’s. “Do you know who you’re talking to? I’m the prince of Equestria! You do not give me orders!”

Gamble didn’t flinch. “Assault is illegal in Equestria regardless of rank or station, as I’m sure you’re aware.”

“This filth,” Blueblood said, gesturing to Applejack, “this ingrate, assaulted me first! I was only seeking justice!”

“That’s a dirty lie!” Applejack shouted from her position on the floor. She was ignored.

Gamble drew himself up, making himself seem even taller. “While that may be, it is not your place to dole out justice as you please. That’s for the court to deal with. If you wish to put in a plea, you can take that up with the court and I will escort this lass to the dungeon to be held awaiting trial.”

Blueblood flared his nostrils, and for a long moment, Applejack thought he might hit Gamble. Then he looked away.

“Fine,” he said. Applejack’s restraints dissolved and he turned toward her. “But this is far from over.”

He turned and stomped down the hall back toward his room, disappearing around the corner. Gamble went over and offered a hoof to Applejack.

“You alright, lass?” he asked.

Applejack took the hoof and Gamble pulled her into a standing position. “Yeah, thanks, Gamble.”

“Don’t mention it,” Gamble responded, smiling. He leaned down to Applejack and whispered, “if you ask me, Blueblood needs to get a pike shoved up his arse. But I’ll settle for knocking him down a peg or two.”

There was a long silence. Gamble coughed.

“So,” he said, “I have to take you to the dungeon now. Can’t rightly have you runnin’ round free after a spectacle like that, can we?”

“I suppose not,” Applejack said. It made sense, but that didn’t mean she wanted to hear it.

Gamble laughed and patted Applejack roughly on the shoulder. “Don’t look so down in the dumps, lass! I’ll do my best to see that you have a fair trial. If you didn’t actually hit him, you’ve got nothing to worry about.” He stopped and looked at Applejack. “You didn’t hit him, did you?”

Applejack forced a smile, shook her head, and kept her mouth shut. She didn’t need to burden Gamble with her problems; they were hers to face, and she didn’t need to be dragging anypony else into it. Not after what had happened to Twilight.

“Alright, let’s go.”

Gamble started down the hall with Applejack in tow, leading her down into the depths of the palace, and into the Canterlot Castle dungeon.

(*)

Rainbow Dash had never been to the dungeon before. It was not something she would want to do again.

Gamble lead, and Rainbow Dash followed. It hadn’t been ten minutes since Rainbow Dash was sitting with Twilight in the infirmary, blissfully unaware of what had transpired between Applejack and Blueblood. Then Gamble paid her a visit, and here she was, descending into one of the most feared places in the city.

Canterlot Castle had a proper dungeon. Although it was fairly new, the old one having been abandoned, the designers decided to keep with the medieval theme, in order to discourage crime in Canterlot. The prison was not pleasant, it was not comfortable, and it was certainly not any place one would go if they could avoid it.

And here Rainbow Dash was, descending, traveling away from her world in more ways than one.

They reached a thick wooden door with a round iron handle. Gamble placed a hoof on the door, but stopped. He turned back toward Rainbow Dash.

“Are you sure you want to do this, Lady? The dungeons aren’t a place for royalty. Some of the most dangerous and deranged criminals Canterlot’s ever seen are within these walls. It gives me the willies just thinkin’ about it, and look at me! I’m huge!”

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. “Yeah, I’m sure. I have to see her.”

Gamble nodded. “Alright, if you’re positive. But you might want to prepare yourself. This is the last door before the dungeon proper, and it’s enchanted so as to not let out the, uh, screams, and frighten the other ponies in the castle.”

Rainbow Dash steeled her resolve. “Do it.”

With a grunt, Gamble pushed the door open. It creaked as it swung on rusty hinges to reveal a steep spiral staircase. As they descended, Gamble spoke.

“Luckily, we don’t have far to go. Applejack’s being held in one of the first cells, so the more unseemly parts of the dungeon will, mercifully, be left to your imagination.”

“Yeah, mercifully,” Rainbow Dash muttered. Being locked in her tower had given her a vivid imagination, and that was one of the few times she found it unpleasant.

They walked in silence after that. The staircase felt like it went on forever, and as they went deeper, Rainbow Dash thought she heard tortured cries from deep within. Then they reached the bottom of the staircase, and she was sure she heard screams.

The first section of the dungeon lay before them. It was a long hallway that was bisected by several other hallways, each one made of a dark cobblestone. Lit torches hung in sconces and cast eerie shadows on the walls, and at the end of the main hall, there was another staircase.

“It goes deeper?” Rainbow asked.

“Aye,” Gamble said with a nod. “The deeper parts of the dungeon are reserved for the more serious offenders and for the criminally insane. I’ve only been down there once, and I don’t intend to go again if I can help it.”

Rainbow Dash shuddered, but she suppressed her dread by focusing on the task at hoof. “Where’s Applejack?” she asked.

“Third cell on the right,” Gamble answered, pointing.

Rainbow Dash rushed over to the indicated cell. Applejack sat on the provided mattress, which was just canvas stuffed with straw, looking toward the bars. Her maid outfit lie balled up in the corner, next to a bucket. Rainbow Dash didn’t want to think about what the bucket was for.

“Rainbow?” Applejack asked, looking up.

Rainbow Dash nodded. “I came as soon as I heard. Are you alright? Blueblood didn’t hurt you, did he?”

“What do you care?” Applejack asked, narrowing her eyes.

Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped. “What’s that supposed to mean? Why wouldn’t I care about you?”

“I dunno, Rainbow, maybe because you’re marryin’ the brute that did this to me?” Applejack accused. “How could you claim to care about me when you dropped me the second you got the chance to marry up?”

“Th—that is not what happened!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“Then why don’t you enlighten me,” Applejack said, standing up. “Because it looks to me like you agreed to marry Blueblood, and I haven’t seen you since. Why wouldn’t you come and see me to explain everything? How come you ignored me in the halls? The way I see it, there’s only one reason for that: you decided that you were done with me.”

“How could you say that?” Rainbow Dash asked. She was shaking, and her eyes glinted in the torchlight. “How could you possibly think that that is what’s going on? Is that how you see me? As some cheap harlot who would drop the mare she loves just to marry into money?”

“I... uh...”

“Did you ever think,” Rainbow continued, “that maybe Blueblood is forcing me to marry him? That I couldn’t come and see you because I was terrified that if I did, Blueblood would find out about us? Do you have any idea what that would do if he caught you? He told me that if he ever caught the servant I was seeing, he would do horrible things to them to make me obedient. How could I risk losing you to him? What choice did I have?”

The pieces started falling into place. “That,” Applejack said, “that... makes a lot of sense. Consarnit, Rainbow, why’d you have to go and explain everything now? I’ve been mad at you for weeks, and it was all for nothin.’”

“I didn’t have a choice!” Rainbow shouted. “Ignoring you tore me apart, but the other option was even worse.” She grit her teeth and looked down. “I just... I just couldn’t risk losing you.”

“Oh, Rainbow,” Applejack said. “I’m so sorry. I don’t know what I was thinkin.’ I know you would never do something like that to me, I just... it was hard not to think so, you know? What with everything that’s been goin’ on, that’s just how it looked from my point of view.” She walked over to the bars where Rainbow Dash stood. “But, that’s no excuse for my behavior just now. I should’ve just heard you out before jumpin’ to conclusions, and I’m sorry.” She leaned forward. “Do you forgive me?”

Rainbow Dash held steady for a moment before taking a step away from the bars. “... I don’t know.”

“Huh?”

Rainbow looked up at Applejack. “How could you just think those things about me? After everything we’ve done together... I don’t know. I think I’m going to need some time.”

Applejack opened her mouth, then closed it again. “Okay,” she said. “If you need time, then take some time. It’s not like I’m goin’ anywhere.”

There was a pause. “He didn’t hurt you, did he?” Rainbow Dash finally asked.

“Nothin’ I can’t recover from,” Applejack responded.

“Good.”

Another pause. “Well,” Rainbow dash said, “I should get back to Twilight. I don’t want Blueblood to know I came down here.”

Applejack nodded. “I understand.”

Rainbow Dash started to walk away, but stopped and turned back. “I’ll come see you again soon.”

Applejack smiled. “I look forward to it.”

“Ready to go?” Gamble asked.

Rainbow Dash nodded, and then they were on their way back to her world.

(*)

Applejack spent the next two weeks in the dungeon. Her days were long, though the ones where Rainbow Dash came to visit seemed to go quicker. She was brought two meals a day by the same servant, and often clamped her pillow around her ears at night to muffle the screams from the second level of the dungeon.

Long stretches of time were spent thinking about her home, wondering if her family would worry about her now that they wouldn’t be receiving the wages she had been sending home. For the first time since she had arrived, Applejack was deeply homesick. She ached to be back on her farm, bucking apple trees all day, content with her simple existence.

How had everything gotten so crazy? She was in a dungeon for loving somepony, there was a revolution in the works, and Rainbow Dash was set to marry Prince Blueblood. Why couldn’t things just be simple?

“Why can’t things just be simple?”

Rainbow Dash looked up. “Hm?”

Applejack sighed. “I’m just wondering why everything has to be so crazy. Why can’t we just go live together and be happy? Is that too much to ask?”

They were sitting on opposite sides of prison bars. It was Rainbow Dash’s fourth visit since Applejack had been put away.

“I don’t know,” Rainbow responded. “Just the way things are, I guess.”

“I know, I just wish they weren’t.” Applejack smiled. “All I want to do is live with you, away from all this craziness, and get some peace and quiet.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Peace and quiet? No thanks; I’ve had peace and quiet my entire life. Come on, Applejack, don’t you want at least a little adventure?”

“Nope,” Applejack said, shaking her head. “Us farm mares don’t really take kindly to adventure. The simple life’s where it’s at.”

“But we should do something to break it up every now and then, right?” Rainbow suggested.

Applejack snickered. “Honestly, Rainbow? I don’t really care what we do, as long as we’re together.”

Rainbow Dash’s slight blush was basically invisible in the low light. “Agreed,” she said.

“So... does that mean you forgive me for sayin’ all those horrible things?”

Rainbow was silent. Then, “It’s a start.”

Applejack smiled. “That’s all I needed to hear.”

She craned her neck, leaning forward through the bars. Rainbow Dash bit her lip, leaned forward, hesitated, then followed through. Life was too short to hold grudges.

The kiss was the first they’d shared in almost a month. The bars made positioning awkward, but they were just glad to be with each other once more. It didn’t last nearly as long Applejack would’ve liked it to, but at least it had happened in the first place.

Rainbow Dash pulled back. “I should be going. I can’t be late for my dress fitting.”

Applejack winced. “So, you’re still going through with it, huh?”

“What choice do I have? While I’m out there, I can at least try to get you pardoned; if I were to defy Blueblood and he threw me in here, there would be no helping either of us.”

“I know, I know.” Applejack sighed. “It just frustrates me, that’s all. Knowin’ that you’re gonna be marryin’ that brute.” She stomped a hoof. “It ain’t right!”

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Maybe not, but if it’s the only chance I have of getting you out of here, then I’ll take it, no matter what I have to put up with.” She started away, but turned back. “By the way, the wedding’s in three days.”

“Three days!?” Applejack shouted. “That’s way too soon!”

Rainbow shrugged. “Blueblood’s date, not mine. I tried to change his mind, but he’s... well, you know how he is. I’ll come see you again when I can, but for now... bye Applejack.”

“Bye.” What else could she say?

Then, Rainbow Dash was gone.

The days after Rainbow left were always the longest. Applejack knew that she had a while to go before being able to see her again, and the wait was maddening. She had always considered herself patient, but being locked in a cell for weeks with nothing to do was infuriating.

Not to mention the fact that the wedding between the mare she loved and the stallion she hated most in the world was approaching like a freight train. All Applejack could do was wait for the wedding to pass and hope that Rainbow Dash would be able to get her out of the dungeon. If she couldn’t, well... then Applejack would be at Blueblood’s mercy, which is the last place she wanted to be.

So she counted the days until the wedding. One day passed, then another, and finally, the third was here. On that day, Applejack was woken up by the sound of her food arriving. The same servant always brought it, sliding the tray of gruel through a small slot in the bars near the floor.

Applejack went over to retrieve her food, but the pony was still there. When she looked up, she saw that it wasn’t the one who usually brought her her meals.

“Daisy?” Applejack asked, squinting in the low light. “Is that you?”

Daisy nodded and motioned to Applejack’s tray. Applejack looked down and, next to the bowl, saw a metal object glinting in the torchlight.

It was a key.

When Applejack looked up again, Daisy leaned in close to the bars and whispered three words.

“Change is here.”