• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 9,042 Views, 67 Comments

A Tea Party - Maniac92



Rarity's tea party has a surprising guest.

  • ...
5
 67
 9,042

A Tea Party

Rarity breathed in the fresh air and took in the silence. She and her guests were in one of Ponyville's gardens, and were enjoying the afternoon sun as they drank their tea. There was no one else around, and the fence near them ensured their total privacy.

"More tea, Sweetie Belle?" asked Rarity as she picked up the tea pot.

Her little sister, Sweetie Belle, nodded enthusiastically and squeaked, "Yes, please!" She held out her teacup and watched as Rarity filled it up. Sweetie started bouncing in her seat as she said, "This is so much fun!"

Rarity grimaced as a few drops of tea flew from Sweetie's cup. "It is rather enjoyable, but a lady never bounces around in their seat. A lady keeps her excitement evident only in her speech, and she is always calm and poised." Rarity grabbed her teacup and politely sipped it.

"Oh..." said Sweetie Belle. She wiggled in her seat as she copied Rarity's posture. She then grabbed her teacup and sipped it. Loudly.

"Well…it's a start, I suppose." said Rarity with a small grin. She turned to the other member of their tea party. "And how are you today?"

"Quite well, thank you." said the other pony, adjusting her sun hat.

"It's always nice to have you here." said Rarity. "It's nice to see somepony else take an interest in the civilized things."

"Yes." said Sweetie Belle as she put her teacup down. She had wet spots on her face from the tea, but did not notice. She put on an air of upper crust sophistication as she copied her sister. "It is quite enjoyable to have you here. I daresay that this has been a lovely time." She broke character and giggled. Rarity sighed as she used a napkin to clean Sweetie Belle's face.

"I can't believe the weather is so nice today," said Rarity, looking up at the sky, "I thought the weather ponies promised a storm today."

"I managed to convince them otherwise." said the other pony. "It would be a shame if we had to cancel our weekly tea party just because of rain."

"I agree completely," said Rarity, "these little soirées of ours are always the highlight of my week."

The other pony nodded as she sipped her tea. She set her cup down and said, "Honestly, it's been a long week for me. I'm glad I have this chance to unwind."

"A long week?" asked Sweetie Belle. "Longer than normal? Aren't all weeks just seven days?"

"No, Sweetie," said Rarity, "She means that she has had a stressful week."

"Oh!" said Sweetie Belle. "That makes more sense." She sipped at her tea and turned towards the other pony. "Why was it so stressful?"

"Well-"

"Hey, Sweetie Belle!" yelled a voice, cutting off the other pony. An orange Pegasus filly poked her head over the garden's fence and said, "I thought I heard your voice! Listen, I've got a new idea for getting our…" she trailed off as she looked at the gathered ponies. "…Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash froze as she was picking up her cup. "Oh…uh…hi Scoots…" she mumbled.

"Why are you here?" asked Scootaloo in confusion. "And what's with the hat?"

Rainbow Dash blushed as she adjusted her white sun hat. "W-well…uh…you see…the thing is…" she stammered.

Trying not to laugh at her friend's embarrassment, Rarity turned to Scootaloo and said, "The thing, Scootaloo, is that Rainbow Dash needed some time to relax. In order to do so, I invited her to come along with me and Sweetie Belle for afternoon tea."

"But...but it's a tea party!" said Scootaloo. "It's so girly!"

Rarity did laugh a little at that. "It's true. Tea parties are rather 'girly', I suppose."

Rainbow Dash groaned as she pulled the sun hat over her beet red face. "You're not helping."

"That's why I asked Rainbow Dash to be here." said Rarity.

"Huh?" asked Scootaloo, tilting her head in confusion.

"Huh?" asked Rainbow Dash, staring at Rarity in confusion.

"I'm a little lost." said Sweetie Belle. She shrugged and sipped her tea.

"Let me explain." continued Rarity. "Tea parties are boring. Rainbow Dash is known for not being boring, so I invited her to liven things up."

"You did?" asked Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash in unison.

"I did." lied Rarity. "You know how 'awesome' Rainbow Dash is. There's no way a tea party would be boring with her around."

"Oh..." said Scootaloo. She grinned and said, "You knew that Rainbow Dash is so awesome, she could make anything awesome just by being there!"

"Exactly!" said Rarity. "Did you want to join us?"

Scootaloo nodded enthusiastically. "There's no way I'd miss a totally awesome Rainbow Dash tea party!" She climbed over the fence and ran towards the table. She sat down in between Sweetie Belle and Rainbow Dash and started chatting with Sweetie Belle.

Rainbow Dash looked towards Rarity and whispered, "Thank you."

Rarity giggled and whispered back, "I had to do something, darling. Even if you did look adorable with that blush on your face."

Said blush quickly reappeared on Rainbow Dash's face. She shoved her empty cup at Rarity and said, "Just shut up and pour me some more tea."

Author's Note:

Just a short little story I wrote out of boredom.

Comments ( 67 )

How embarrassing.

This was a pretty fun little oneshot. I am curious how Rainbow Dash would have started coming to tea parties, though. It seems like she would be naturally inclined to hate them. You could try to explain what appeals to her about them a little bit more.

"I can't believe the weather is so nice today." said Rarity.

Should be a comma in the quotation marks instead of a period. You made that mistake several times.

Rarity did laugh a little at that. "It's true. Tea parties are girly."

Something about Rarity using the word "girly" doesn't sound right. Maybe you could try something like: "It's true. Tea parties are, as you call them, 'girly.'" I just don't see Rarity using that word on her own.

I love a good story based on good pony art. There's so many images that deserve their own stories! A picture is worth a thousand words at least...

And is it wrong that I find blushing Rainbow Dash adorable? :pinkiehappy:

1788692 Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I'll see if I can fix up the grammar mistakes.

So much win on this one! :rainbowkiss:

That was pretty cute. Well done.

I can totally imagine Rainbow secretly enjoying tea parties.

That was an enjoyable, amusing little tale. You've earned yourself five Spikes :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

1789147 It's too many Spikes! :pinkiegasp:

That was hilarious! :rainbowlaugh: Dash is so cute when she's embarrassed! :rainbowkiss:

1789164
Is Pinkies better? :pinkiehappy:

1789378 Perhaps...both? :moustache::pinkiecrazy:

1789423 My mind has been blown, sir. :applejackconfused:

No shipping tag? I haven't even read it yet and I love it!

good story. so what was the real reason rainbow dash was at the tea party.

does rainbow like tea party.lol

1790685 What better way to unwind after a stressful week than with a tea party? :rainbowhuh:

1790726 I think it's funny imagining her at a tea party. I can see it.

1791487 I thought it'd be funny too. That cover image is honestly one of my favorite images of Rainbow Dash.

I already like this.

Lol, what? :trollestia:

Rarity did laugh a little at that. "It's true. Tea parties are rather 'girly', I suppose."

Unless you're British in which case its a national duty. :trollestia:

lol rainbow :rainbowdetermined2: you make anything cool:rainbowkiss:

This needs to be expanded upon, it's so good.....

"A lady keeps her excitement evident only in her speech, and she is always calm and poised." :raritywink:
Like she did when she thought she was going to be working with photo finish?

1949545 More of a "Do as I say, and not as I do" sort of thing.

To bad Pinkie can never go to a tea party :pinkiegasp:
why? Because at a tea party it's good manners to keep the Pinkie out. :pinkiehappy:

Hilarious!

Why are all the good oneshots fantastic novel material... WHY:raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

Hehehe. Most excellent.

1789164 Tis what she said, good sir!

This is great! Rarity's so kind and perfect in this. Very nice job. :raritywink:

that was a great fic, I can imagine this as a scene from an episode

that was a great fic, I can imagine this as a scene from an episode

The thing I love about this little scene is that Rarity making that save for Rainbow Dash totally fits my personal canon for her characterization: That she is someone for whom appearances actually matter, thus she would never write off Rainbow's pride and dignity as something trivial, And that's why Rarity, despite her vanity and melodrama, is still totally awesome.

It's about time someone disliked this thing. :yay:

2568439 Uuuuuh......OK :pinkiehappy: Whatever you said.

Haha, may be short but it's a nice story' well done :twilightsmile:

See, that was awesome of Rarity to save her buddy there. Cute Lil' one-shot.

that was the best thing that I have ever read and I'm a totes egghead A+++++ would do business with again friendly fast flexible

My respect for Rarity just went through the roof because of this. :pinkiehappy: That picture is amazing.

Comment posted by ConsciousHaze196 deleted May 28th, 2014

Rainbow dash with that hat reminds me of Mrs. Nesbitt.

:rainbowlaugh:

4224973 All I can picture now is Applejack in the place of Woody and Rainbow Dash in the place of Buzz.

4225027 That would make the most sense.:trollestia:

Rainbow Dash as Mrs. Nesbitt tho.

I love the idea behind this fic. Totally earns a like and favourite from me, and you can bet that I'll be drawing fan art in the future.

My favourite moment was when Rarity defended Rainbow Dash. People seem to never realize how self conscious both RD and Rarity are when it comes to appearances.

Login or register to comment