• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 4,925 Views, 555 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - Starwin



The sun has stopped moving! Twilight and friends must set out on a dangerous adventure to discover why.

  • ...
9
 555
 4,925

Chapter 6

Shadow of the Sun
By Starwin


Chapter 6


There seemed to be no end to the desolate trail through the hills. The uneven, rocky path wound its way along the valley floor. There were no trees for cover nor outcropping of stone to give shade. The wagon continued to bump and roll as Applejack and Rainbow Dash pulled their friends ever forward.

Nopony could deny it any longer. They weren’t just lost, they were in serious trouble.

All around them the hills hid the horizon, concealing any chance of finding their bearings. The sun was of no help either. Stopped in the sky as it was they could not determine east, west, south nor north.

Their water gone and the ponies fatigued from a long day of hard travel, their chances of reaching Hoofington seemed to be dwindling away. All of them were starting to feel the effects of the relentless Sun beating down upon them. For now, the shield spell was holding but both Rarity and Twilight looked as if they might pass out at any moment.

Spike was still focused on the map, believing it to have some critical detail he might have overlooked. He had been studying it relentlessly, searching for any information that could possibly be of use. But the simple truth was that this map just wasn’t very accurate. It hardly showed any of the routes they had taken since they had left the main road.

In another strange twist of irony, the current path they traveled on appeared to once have been a small river of some kind, not much wider than the wagon. It was of course dry, possibly either from the heat or having been cut off long ago. Either way, there was not even the hint of a muddy puddle or a road sign.

The bleak terrain passed by without much variation. Rock, rock and some more rock, interspersed with clumps of dried grass. The hills loomed tall around them, the daunting peaks spread wide, providing no relief from the Sun. The ponies were boxed in on a narrow, fixed path. They just had to hope it would lead them out of the hills and back to a real road.

As they came around a blind curve, they spotted something they had not expected to see. A cave, large enough for the wagon, was visible in the side of a hill. Applejack and Rainbow Dash didn’t even need to be told what to do. Their pace quickened and they hurried towards the shelter, eager to get out from under the sun.

Soon, they were pulling under the cover of the stone. The moment the whole wagon was inside, Twilight and Rarity let the shield drop, both of them collapsing from fatigue. Dry, uncomfortable, heat washed over the group. The cave was not cool nor of much relief but it was the best they had.

From the entrance they could see the back wall, not more than a dozen hooves away. Any hope they had of finding water or supplies in here were crushed. Save for them, this cave was empty. This was nothing more than a spot to rest. One in which they wouldn’t be able to stay for very long.

“Ah don’t know how much further we can keep going,” said Applejack, struggling out of the harness. “Ah ain’t feeling so good…”

“Me neither,” said Rainbow. She plopped to the ground to rest on the hard dirt. “Any idea how far away we are?”

“I… not really…” said Spike. “I’ve been trying to trace our route.” He held up the map and pointed to some squiggly lines. “But I don’t know how accurate it is.” Tiredly, Twilight glanced over at the map that Spike was holding.

“Spike, is that a loop?” she asked, pointing to Spikes scrawling.

“Just minor calculation adjustments,” said Spike, shifting the map so Twilight couldn’t see it anymore. “I think we’re headed towards Hoofington.

“You think?” said Rainbow, an edge of irritation in her voice. “You think!”

“Rainbow, there is no need for that kind of tone!” said Rarity. “I am sure Spike is doing his best.” Rainbow looked like she wanted to argue but simply let her head fall back to the ground.

The group lay in silence for a long time. Words had become too difficult to say. It required too much energy to speak. Twilight longed for sleep but forced herself to stay awake. This spot was shielded from the Sun but it was not protected. It was still very hot and very dry here. Every second they stayed exposed like this was a second they were losing water. They could not stay here.

“I think that’s enough of a rest,” said Twilight at last. “We should keep moving.”

“You can’t be serious!” said Rainbow Dash. “We just got out of the Sun, why would you want to go back outside?”

“I agree,” said Fluttershy. “Doesn’t a nice nap sound much better?” Twilight hauled herself back to her hooves.

“Yes, it does,” said Twilight. “And if we stay here that’s just what’s going to happen.” Her friends looked at her in confusion. “We aren’t safe here. There’s no water and we don’t know how much further Hoofington is. The longer we are exposed to this heat the worse our chances become. We need to keep moving.”

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” said Pinkie Pie, completely convinced. She bounced up to her hooves. Slowly the other ponies resumed their positions. Pinkie and Fluttershy once more took to pulling the wagon while Rainbow and Applejack moved to the back.

“What are our chances of getting to Hoofington,” whispered Applejack as she climbed into the back of the wagon. Twilight didn’t answer, looking away instead.

The shield spell flickered back into place. Even if the respite had been brief, it had helped. Twilight just hoped they would reach Hoofington soon and that they would find water when they got there.

They resumed their journey, following the dried up river towards some unknown end. Rivers, after all, had to flow to some place. It was hard to tell if the path they followed sloped up or down. They may very well be walking towards the source, which might end in an insurmountable cliff face. But, they might also reach the rivers end, which could lead out of the hills.

They had been traveling for a while when Rainbow Dash suddenly sat bolt upright in the back of the wagon. Both her wings and nose twitched as she sniffed the air.

“Does anypony else smell that,” asked Rainbow. Applejack sniffed at the air and wrinkled her nose.

“Smoke,” said Applejack. “Somethin’s burning.”

“Look! Clouds!” cried Pinkie. The wagon came to a halt as she pointed up towards the top of a hill. Thick black smoke had begun to pour into the air.

“Those aren’t clouds,” said Rainbow. “I need to get a look at this.”

“Rainbow, don’t you dare think of…” exclaimed Applejack. However, before she could finish, Rainbow Dash burst into the air, racing away in a blur of speed. “Dang that impulsive pony!”

The black clouds were growing thicker, spreading out across the sky ahead of them. Fluttershy pawed nervously at the ground. She wasn’t the only one. All of them looked jumpy. None of them knew why but some buried animal instinct was telling them to flee.

Rainbow Dash slammed back into the wagon, panic across her face.

“The hills!” she huffed, out of breath. “The hills are burning!”

“What!” cried everypony at once.

“It’s a firestorm! I’ve never seen anything like it!” cried Rainbow Dash, still trying to regain herself. “There are flames everywhere, like the whole world is on fire!”

“We could go back to the cave,” suggest Spike.

“No, we’d box ourselves in with no way to escape,” said Applejack.

“Hoofington?” asked Twilight, her face strained. Rainbow Dash nodded.

“Yeah, we’re heading the right way but…” she broke off.

“But what?” asked Applejack.

“But… there’s a wall of fire between us and the town,” said Rainbow Dash. “We aren’t that far from where the hills end. I’ve never seen anything like it… there are fields of flames…”

“We have to go back,” said Fluttershy. Rainbow shook her head.

“No, you don’t understand,” Rainbow waved a hoof in a circle all around them. “The fire is EVERYWHERE. We can’t go back!” She pointed behind them and they could see the black smoke gathering in the air from where they had come.

“Then we have to push forward,” said Applejack. “We ain’t got no other choice.”

“Shield won’t protect from fire,” said Twilight. The spell flickered as she spoke.

“Well, we don’t have any choice. We have to keep moving,” said Rarity. “The smoke is getting worse and if we stay here it will suffocate us.”

The wagon jerked forward. Pinkie and Fluttershy picked up the pace, going faster than was safe. They still couldn’t gallop but they were being less cautious. The air above them was filled with black smoke, blotting out the Sun. Slowly the smoke began to settle downwards and the valley became a hazy fog of darkness.

It was getting hard to breathe. All of the ponies started coughing. The shield spell blinked out during Twilight or Rarity’s coughing fits. The smoke was so thick above them that the Sun hardly seemed to reach through.

The sky over the hilltops glowed orange, like some strange dawn had come in the nighttime of the smoke. Then, orange-red edges of the roaring blaze became visible, creeping along the dried grass at the crest of the hills. The fire was indeed all around them, behind, along side and… ahead.

The wagon bumped and jumped at each rock or dip in the ground. Twilight and Rarity held on as best they could. The shield flickered in and out of existence. The hot, dry, air was made ever worse by the approaching flames. Every time the spell was disrupted all of the ponies felt the unpleasant touch of the scorching heat.

At long last, the hills parted in front of them, giving way to a wide open space that might have once been a great grassy plain. Now, however, it was filled with fire and smoke. The wagon came to a sudden halt as they faced the roaring maw of the inferno. The path ahead of them, their exit, was blocked by flames.

The fire moved and churned and rolled along the dried up river. The blaze spread towards them, blocking their way and threatening to consume the ponies if they came any closer. Nervously, Fluttershy and Pinkie backed away as the fire reached out towards them.

“Twilight, what do we do?” asked Pinkie Pie, rearing back from the flames.

“I… I don’t know,” said Twilight. She had not expected there to be so much fire. There was no clear path. There was no way through. None of them would be able to endure the flames for long and Twilight didn’t know any spells for putting out a fire of this scale.

“If you guys were dragons we could just walk through it,” said Spike. Twilight looked at Spike, his words catching in her brain.

“We could just walk through it…” said Twilight to herself a plan spinning in her mind. “Quick, everypony into the wagon.”

“The wagon ain’t gona protect us against that,” said Applejack. “This thing is made out’a wood.” Applejack gave the wagon a tap with her hoof.

“Just do it!” shouted Twilight desperately, the shield shuttering and flickering with her panic. Fluttershy and Pinkie unhooked from the harnesses and joined the others in the back of the wagon.

“Twilight what are you planning?” asked Rarity with concern. Twilight let the spell drop. It was hardly much different as the Sun was mostly obscured by smoke. Twilight fished out one of the blankets and tossed it out over her friends, covering them.

“Rarity,” said Twilight. “I want you to cast the protection spell on the blanket and then cast the shield spell to give as much protection as possible. No matter what happens, do your best to keep everypony safe.”

“But the shield spell won’t protect us against fire,” said Rarity.

“Hopefully we’ll be through fast enough that fire won’t be an issue,” said Twilight, glancing back at the flames.

“Oh no, you ain’t gona try and pull us through all on your own!” cried Applejack suddenly realizing what Twilight was planning.

“What, no!” cried Twilight, slightly shocked by the suggestion. “No, Spike is going to pull us!”

“Wait, I’m going to what?” asked Spike in confusion. A surge of heat flared causing them all to flinch.

“There’s no time to explain!” exclaimed Twilight. “Spike, get to the front and get ready to pull!”

Spike hopped down while Twilight and the other slipped under the blanket. Rarity’s horn began to glow causing the blanket to shimmer with a protective aura. She rested briefly, the enchantment having taken a lot out of her. After a moment she focused again and recast the shield spell. It spread out over the back of the wagon.

“Twilight, I can’t even reach the harnesses. How exactly is this supposed to… whoa!” cried Spike in surprise. Twilight’s horn glowed with intense magic and as it did, Spike began to grow. Soon he was twice the size of a pony.

“Pull!” cried Twilight.

“Oh, yeah, right,” replied Spike, who had been flexing one of his arms and examining his muscles. He took hold of the harnesses, one in each hand and tugged at the wagon. With little effort he was able to pull it forward. The heat intensified as they raced towards the flames.

“Go as fast as you can Spike,” called Twilight. “And don’t stop until we’re clear!”

“Right!” shouted Spike, as he picked up speed. In a moment more they were engulfed in the flames. The shield spell on the blanket protected them from the heat, while the wagon blocked them from the fire, for now.

All around them the blaze roared and swirled as the six ponies huddled under the small layer of protection. Twilight’s face was strained. Maintaining the growth spell was harder than she had anticipated. Rarity looked like she might pass out at any moment as she kept them shielded. Fluttershy was holding tightly to Rainbow and shaking with fear. Applejack looked almost pale.

Flames licked at the bottom of the wagon, sometimes poking through between the planks. The fire lashed at the wooden sides, trying to tear them apart. However, the wagon did its part, holding the blaze at bay.

They charged through the inferno, unable to see what was going on around them. While the blanket protected them, it also blinded them. They could make out tendrils of fire reaching over them. They could hear the cracking of burning wood. And they could taste the ash in the air. But they could not see where they were going or how much more there was ahead of them.

The friends all stay close together, huddled not for warmth but for reassurance, for protection. At any moment the fire might get the better of the wagon and it would crumble apart into splinters of wood. Or, perhaps, there was no end to the fire. Maybe it went on forever and the whole world was engulfed in flames.

The wagon’s joints groaned as it jostled around. It could not go much further before it would be overcome. The wood below them was starting to get very hot. The shield seemed to have reached its limit as arms of fire smacked against it.

Without warning Rarity let out a gasp and the spell she had been casting ended abruptly. Now the only protection they had left was the thin flammable blanket, enchanted with a spell to hold back the heat.

Then, the roar of the blaze suddenly vanished. The intense heat faded away.

“Is… is it over?” asked Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash was the first to chance a glance. She poked her head out from under the blanket.

“We’re through! We made it! We made it!” cried Rainbow exuberantly. She stood suddenly, tossing off the blanket. But her expression quickly changed to one of fear. “The wagon is on fire!” shouted Rainbow.

It was true. They had left the roaring inferno behind, yet there were still flames all around them, moving with them! The wagon began to slow as Twilight finally lost concentration on the spell. Spike shrunk back to his normal size, so that he dangled from the harnesses, no longer able to pull them.

With a sudden crack of splintering wood, one of the back wheels gave way and the wagon dropped sharply on one side. The ponies let out a scream of terror as the wagon dug into the ground, sliding through the dirt. Then another wheel broke on the same side and still another on the opposite side. Finally the last one gave out and the wagon crashed to the ground and skidded through the dirt to a rough stop.

Quickly the ponies abandon the wagon, carrying their supplies out with them. Twilight and Rarity recast the shield spell and the others moved to shelter beneath it. Twilight had expected the shield to be much harder to cast, yet it was easier than the simple growth spell she had just used.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash tried kicking sand and ash at the flames, hoping to put them out. But it seemed to do little good, the wood continued to burn. Even if they had been able to stop it, all four wheels had broken. The wagon was never going to move from this spot. Soon, the whole thing was engulfed. The group watched with a silent moment of sadness as their wagon that had carried them so far went up in smoke.


The smoke was not as bad here, now that they were out of the valley. The hills on either side had flattened out and they were traveling through what was once a great open grassland. Now it was nothing more than burnt ash, consumed by flames.

The fire had burned its way past them. It was still billowing great columns of smoke from the hills. There was no telling where it would end, but at least it was behind and not in front.

The group continued on, moving slowly without a means of conveyance. The charred wasteland around them seemed to weigh heavy on everypony’s thoughts. Even Pinkie was struggling to maintain a smile. Spike however, seemed to be full of energy and excitement.

“Did you all see how big and strong I was!” said Spike, completely impressed with himself. He flexed his tiny arm to emphasize his point. “I’ve never felt so amazing! Why have you never made me big like that before Twilight?”

“Actually I have,” said Twilight with a slight smile. “Although, I’m not sure you would remember, it was just after you were born. You grew so big that you put a hole in the roof of the magical academy.”

“Whoa,” said Rainbow, clearly impressed.

“It’s a hard one to do,” said Twilight. “And it takes a lot of effort.” The shield spell flickered.

The trotted onwards, their pace slow and their spirits low. Each step felt like an uphill struggle. How Twilight and Rarity were still managing the shield was anypony’s guess. The hardly had the strength to walk, let alone cast.

“Hoofington!” shouted Spike, after they had been walking for quiet some time. He pointed ahead of them towards a distant shape.

The only indication that they had was a tiny far off shadow on the horizon, little more than a colored smudge in the distance. They trudged on, the sight of their goal giving them new strength. Soon, they could see the stone houses that made up the outskirts of Hoofington. They moved ever closer to the town, the friends resisting the urge to break out in a gallop.

As expected there didn’t appear to be any ponies walking around outside. Where were the ponies of this town hiding? Did they also have cellars they had been able to get to? Were they all safe underground?

The train station was the first building they could recognize. There was a moment of hope, followed by a disappointed sigh of frustration. There was no train in the station at this stop either.

After what felt like forever, they reached the edge of town. It was an eerie feeling as they entered the empty streets. The heat waves made the air dance, sometimes making it seem like there were other ponies around but they were just shimmering illusions.

“Hello!” shouted Applejack. “Is anypony home?” Her words echoed, but no reply came.

“Does anypony have any water? Or lemonade? Oh-oh or apple juice?” shouted Pinkie.

“Shelter,” muttered Twilight, her face tense with concentration.

“Pinkie, I think we need to find some place to rest first,” said Rainbow.

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” said Pinkie Pie. Her eyes swept across the buildings of the town, searching for someplace they could bunker down. “Oh that one! Its got a funny shape!” said Pinkie, pointing at a large wooden building, shaped somewhat like a barn.

“Uh, Pinkie,” said Applejack, “I’m not sure a cart repair shop is going to do us any good now.” Pinkie didn’t answer but hopped towards the shop with a smile on her face.

The shop had wide doors, which would have been great if they still had a wagon. They didn’t know what they would find inside but it couldn’t be any worse than outside. Applejack pulled one of the doors open for them to enter before promptly shutting it behind them once they were all inside.

With a grunt of exhaustion Twilight dropped the shield and collapsed to the ground. She looked completely worn-out. Rarity didn’t seem to be doing much better but she managed to stay on her hooves

It was very hot inside the shop, even with the doors closed. Much to their disappointment, the shop had no carts or wagons inside. There were some spare parts, which did them no good but otherwise the workspace appeared empty.

The group split up, searching the shop while Twilight rested.

“There’s a cellar over here,” called Rainbow from the far side of the shop. “I don’t know what’s down there, but it has to be cooler than this.”

The friends all trotted over to the door on the far side. Rarity used her magic to open it. It wasn’t locked.

“Hello?” called Fluttershy down the dark hole. “Is anypony in there? Do you, uh, mind if we come down?” No answer came. The friends waited a moment, looked at each other and then Twilight gave a tired shrug and descended down into the depths.

The cellar was not very deep, only just under the ground. Pinkie closed the door behind them, cutting them off from any light. Twilight’s horn sparked to life, illuminating the way.

The room at the bottom was not very big but it was cooler than above. It was enough space for the six ponies and Spike. The earthen floor was covered in dried straw but the room was empty otherwise. If there had been supplies here, they were gone now.

“I think we should all get some rest here,” said Twilight. Her eyes were half closed. She walked as if in a trance to a spot on the floor that she intended to make her bed. “We have another long day ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Where do you think all the other ponies are?” asked Fluttershy as she nestled down. The others were picking out spots too. Spike found a spot not far from Twilight in a small pile of straw.

“Prolly anywhere they can keep cool,” answered Applejack resting her head on her hooves.

“Shouldn’t we look for them before we leave tomorrow and make sure everypony’s alright?” pressed Fluttershy with genuine concern.

“I don’t know if we have time,” said Twilight with a yawn. “We really need to find water here and we still have a long way to go. It could take hours of searching to find anypony else.” Twilight let her magic extinguish and they were plunged into darkness. “But we can discuss it in the morning.”

Author's Note:

Hello again everyone! As always thank you for taking the time to read my work! I hope you are enjoying the story so far. As always another new chapter next week, continuing with Thursday postings. So, new stuff coming 01/24.