• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 4,925 Views, 555 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - Starwin



The sun has stopped moving! Twilight and friends must set out on a dangerous adventure to discover why.

  • ...
9
 555
 4,925

Chapter 5

Shadow of the Sun
By Starwin


Chapter 5


The six ponies and Spike gathered around the frozen column of ice. The unrelenting storm of whirling sleet raged just a few dozen hooves away. The friends stood in the calm center, at the eye of the storm. All of them were transfixed by the shining jewelry locked inside the icy pillar.

The purple star-gem, set in the golden tiara, pulsed with an inner light. It glowed like a beacon, beckoning for them to take it. The tiara itself shimmered with blue-ish magic that twisted and moved around the headpiece, making its golden finish ripple and dance.

“Twilight, just what in the hay is your element doing way out here?” asked Applejack. She pulled her eyes away and glanced towards the puzzled lavender unicorn at her side.

“That,” replied Twilight, “is a very good question. And I have no idea.”

Twilight glanced up at the Sun still high above. It had not changed in intensity. It should have been burning hot here. Yet, it was not. They stood on a frozen lake with an ice storm all around them while the world outside was practically on fire.

This was deliberate. The location, the element, the ice. Somepony had put these things here for Twilight to find; knowing she would come this way; knowing that the Sun would stop in the sky and the world would burn. The questions now were who… and why…

Twilight thought she knew who. Only Princess Celestia had this kind of power. However, the answer to the ‘why’ evaded her. Why send the element here? Why not Ponyville where Twilight could have easily found it? Why this lake? Why freeze it?

“What should we do now?” asked Fluttershy meekly.

“Well, I for one think we should take this opportunity to rest,” said Rarity. “I’m sure Twilight is just as exhausted as I am and I think we can spare a bit of time for a break. What do you think Twilight?”

“Uh-huh, yeah, sounds good,” said Twilight absently. She was busy examining the object locked in the ice, hardly having heard any of Rarity’s words.

“Wish we had brought some supplies from the cart,” said Applejack. “This might have been a good time for lunch… or, uh, dinner, whatever the case may be.”

“Nah,” said Pinkie. “You don’t want to eat anything for thirty minutes before you go swimming!”

“Pinkie, I don’t think any of us are planning on trying to swim in a frozen lake!” said Rainbow.

“I’ve never seen a spell this complex before,” whispered Twilight to herself. She was trotting slowly around the pillar, examining the magic from all angles, paying close attention to the details of the spell. “I’m not sure I could cast it even if I knew how it worked.”

“So no hope of casting it on the wagon?” asked Spike. Twilight didn’t respond. “Twilight,” said Spike, trying to get the mare’s attention. “Twilight,” repeated Spike. “TWILIGHT!” shouted Spike at last. Twilight jumped a little.

“What!” cried Twilight in surprise. She looked around at her friends, her eyes filled with shock, like she had forgotten any of them were there.

“I asked if you think you could cast the spell on the wagon,” said Spike again.

“Even if I could, it’s a fixed spell, it wouldn’t move with the wagon,” said Twilight. “It also requires an enormous amount of energy to maintain.”

“Then what, or who, is maintaining this spell?” asked Applejack, looking around as if the pony responsible might step out of the storm.

“I think the element is,” said Twilight. “It looks like there’s some kind of enchantment on it. But I’ve never seen anything like it before.” Twilight took one last glance up and down at the column of ice. “I think this must be a test,” announced Twilight at last. “Otherwise, why have obstacles for us to overcome?”

“Maybe so no pony else picked it up by mistake?” suggested Fluttershy.

“No,” said Twilight with a shake of her head, “we were meant to find this. I was meant to find this… Somepony put this here, and I think it must have been Celestia.”

“Or Luna,” said Rarity. “After all, she did take five days to send you a letter. Maybe she spent that time hiding the elements for us to find?”

“Why would she do that?” asked Rainbow. “Luna’s the one that asked us to bring them to her in the first place!”

“I guess there is only one way for us to know for sure,” said Twilight. “We need to get to Canterlot and find out what’s going on.” Twilight reached out a hoof and touched the icy pillar. “It looks like I’ll have to melt it with magic.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea, Twilight?” asked Spike.

“We don’t have a lot of options and we can’t just leave it here,” said Twilight. “If anypony has a better idea…”

“If I get enough height, I think I can smash the ice!” said Rainbow. Her wings flapped as she lifted off the ground.

“Or do some serious damage to yourself,” said Applejack. “I bet I can buck that thing hard enough to break it.” Rainbow scoffed at Applejack’s suggestion, making the cowpony glare at her rainbow colored friend.

“Oh, oh! I know, I know! We can try licking it, like this!” Pinkie stuck her tongue out before anypony could stop her and licked the frozen column of ice. However, when she tried to pull away, she couldn’t. “Hewp I’m tuck!” Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Maybe we could just have Spike melt the ice with his fire,” suggested Rarity. Spike blushed at the suggestion.

“Or maybe, we could sing to it?” suggested Fluttershy.

“While those are all… good… suggestions,” said Twilight with a forced smile, “I think I’m just going to stick with melting it by magic.” Twilight lowered her head and her horn began to glow. Magic wrapped around the pillar. A sudden heat flared where the spell touched, trying to melt the ice.

The spell seemed to have no effect. The pillar did not melt but stayed exactly the same. However, the moment the magic took hold the walls of the storm began to close in. The roar of the wind increased and the air became icy cold.

“Twilight, stop!” cried Rarity. The spell halted and its energy faded away, but the storm did not retreat. The freezing wall of snow continued to close in on them and the temperature continued to plummet.

“We need to get that thing and get out of here!” cried Rainbow Dash. She retreated a little from the closing walls of the storm.

“Cold! Too cold!” chattered Fluttershy.

“Ah think Fluttershy is right,” said Applejack, her breath coming out in puffs of frost. “This place aint just cold, it’s freezin.”

“I think I might have triggered some kind of trap,” said Twilight with a slight blush. The purple gem in the tiara was now pulsing rapidly with light. The runes of magic that had crawled slowly along the tiara spun wildly, racing around it in a blur of light.

“Anypony!” cried Twilight in distress. “Any ideas?”

“Qwick!” cried Pinkie Pie. “Hewp me lick!”

The others began to argue their ideas again, the wind making it so they had to shout to be heard. The storm continued to close in around them. They were forced to move inwards, retreating towards the column of ice in the center.

The freezing wall of the ice storm shrunk and the ponies backed away, the eye of the storm shrinking rapidly. If the storm kept closing in they would be engulfed by the cold wind in only seconds.

With precious little room left, the friends backed up against the pillar. However, as they all touched the icy column, something strange happened. There was a flash of blue light that raced out through the ice. The gale of the storm suddenly halted, the winds dying away. The roaring wind went silent and the skies around them cleared.

“Twilight, what just happened?” asked Applejack. In answer to her question the frozen column of ice suddenly returned to water, raining down freezing droplets from above.

The element dropped to the ice, the gem no longer glowing and the magic runes fading away. Twilight grabbed the element of harmony with her magic and placed it inside her saddle bags.

For a very brief moment everything was still and silent.

“Uh-oh,” said Pinkie with a shiver.

The thunderous sound of cracking ice rent the air. The frozen lake beneath their hooves groaned. Another loud crack and Twilight looked down to see a dozen jagged lines running out in all directions from under her front hoof.

“Everypony back to the wagon!” cried Twilight.

The water from the melted column had made the ice very slippery. As Twilight tried to gallop her hooves went out from under her and she crashed down with a painful smack. Her brief burst of momentum carried her away, sliding slowly across the ice.

“Hold on Twilight, I got ya,” said Applejack. The earth pony took a step after Twilight and promptly began to spin out of control. “Whoa… whoa!” cried Applejack as she spun in slow circles away from the group.

The others didn’t appear to be faring much better. While Rainbow Dash was hovering safely in the air, Fluttershy appeared too frightened to fly. Rarity had all four legs spread as far as they would go, trying to keep her balance. Applejack was picking up speed as she continued to spin across the ice. Pinkie Pie and Spike appeared to be the only two who were managing okay.

Twilight watched in horror as a dozen hooves in front of her the ice began to break apart. Large chunks up-ended as they broke away from each other. There was no safe path back across the lake to the wagon. Twilight could hear the screams of her friends intermixed with the rupturing ice. All around her huge chunks of the frozen lake came apart.

She tried to get back to her hooves, but simply couldn’t. The ice slab she was on began to tilt, causing her to slide. As she slid towards the water, the opposite edge of the ice rose higher, making the slope steeper and causing her to slide faster. Desperately, Twilight tried to take hold but her hooves just scraped against the slippery surface.

With an icy splash she plunged into the freezing water. The stinging cold raced across Twilight’s body as she was completely submerged. For a moment she almost felt like she was burning. The breath in her lungs was pushed out of her by the cold and she had to fight the reflexive urge to gasp for air. Her hind legs kicked, struggling to get back above water.

Twilight’s head broke the surface and she gulped in the frozen air. Coughing and frightened, Twilight glanced around, trying to get her bearings. She felt her eyes widen in confusion. The large chunks of ice were rapidly melting away before her eyes. In only a few moments, the ice had vanished completely.

Twilight looked around for her friends. She found Rarity and Fluttershy treading water only a few dozen hooves away. Applejack was doing the same in the opposite direction. Rainbow Dash was still hovering above the lake. Pinkie Pie and Spike were the closest to Twilight, only a few hooves away.

“Is any pony hurt!” shouted Twilight as she treaded water. While she couldn’t make out Fluttershy’s response the others shouts were easy enough to hear. It appeared that they were all unharmed. “We need to get back to shore,” shouted Twilight.

“Uh-oh!” said Pinkie Pie again. Ripples spread out from Pinkie Pie as her whole body shook. “It’s not over yet!”

“Oh what now!” cried Twilight.

Rainbow Dash let out a yelp of pain before dropping out of the sky and into the water. Before Twilight could ask what was wrong steam began to rise from the surface of the lake. Quickly the icy cold water became warm, then hot.

“Oh no!” cried Twilight. “Swim to me everypony!” Not waiting for an answer, Twilight began to swim as hard as she could towards her friends.

Twilight could feel the water staring to burn her. They needed to hurry! The sound of splashing brought Twilight to a halt. All of her friends had made it.

“Dive,” said Twilight without an explanation.

“You can’t be serious!” said Rarity indignantly.

Taking a deep breath, Twilight dove under the surface. Through the murky water she could make out her friends doing the same.

Twilight’s horn began to glow and a bubble expanded out around her, pushing the water away so that the inside was filled with air. One by one, as the bubble expanded, her friends were brought inside. Once everypony and Spike was safely within the spell, Twilight focused harder and the bubble began to descend. Slowly, it sank into the depths of the lake.

“Whew, is everypony okay?” asked Applejack. The temperature around them was once more becoming tolerable.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” said Rainbow Dash, shaking herself dry. “Does anypony want to explain what the hay just happened?”

“I think the lake is boiling away,” said Twilight, her horn still glowing gently. The bubble continued to sink. The surface and the Sun were now shadowy and distant above them. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, I figured that much out,” said Rainbow. “I meant more like why, or how? Is it really hot enough to boil water?”

“No, I don’t think it is,” said Twilight after a moment. “It’s hot out but not hot enough for that. I think when I removed my element the spell collapsed violently. The effect is most likely localized right above us.”

“Fantastic,” said Spike sarcastically.

With a plop they reached the murky bottom of the lake. Down here it was very dark. Only the magical bubble gave off any light. They couldn’t see very far in any direction. Through the limited light they could make out a little of the muddy lake bed around them.

“What do we do now?” asked Fluttershy timidly.

“We walk,” said Applejack. “Back to the wagon.” Twilight nodded, her face a bit strained. “You alright there sugarcube?” asked Applejack in concern.

“Fine,” grunted Twilight. “I’m just holding back millions of gallons of water.”

“Here, let me help,” said Rarity. Her horn glowed as her magic added its strength to Twilight’s.

“Thanks, Rarity,” said Twilight, her strained face relaxing a little.

“Alright, let’s get going,” said Applejack, taking the lead.

The six ponies and Spike began to trot slowly along the bottom of the lake. Only a thin membrane of magic protected them from the enormous amount of water overhead. For some reason, Twilight thought it should be much harder to hold back so much water. Yet, with Rarity helping her it was almost easy.

Twilight wondered why she had never thought to try casting spells with other unicorns before. The answer of course was simple. Her books never talked about it. All the spells, all the examples, were for one unicorn.

Twilight hoped they could maintain this spell long enough to get out of the lake. She didn’t know what would happen if the spell suddenly collapsed, or what they would do when they did get out of the water. Would she be in any shape to keep up the shield spell?

They walked silently through the blackness of the lake. Twilight had completely lost track of time. Her mind was focused on only two tasks, walking and keeping up the spell. She hadn’t even realized that the ground beneath her hooves had been steadily sloping upwards.

The sound of hissing and bubbling halted everypony. At first Twilight had thought they’d reached the surface of the lake. She was partly right. In truth, the surface of the lake had reached them.

Above them the boiling surface rushed down towards the ponies. In a moment it was upon them. Massive clouds of steam billowed around them as the water evaporated. In another moment more the water was past them, leaving them to stand on the momentarily muddy slope of the lake. Then the ground dried up, leaving only cracked earth.

Twilight could feel the heat. Her bubble spell popped and she and Rarity cast the shield spell at the same time, having to endure only a second of the Sun’s wrath. Even Rainbow Dash had let out a cry of discomfort at the momentary touch of the Sun.

Twilight glanced behind her and watched as the lake shrunk smaller and smaller, almost like somepony had pulled the plug at the bottom. Huge clouds of steam rose into the air before vanishing into the blue sky as the water boiled away before their eyes.

The last column of steam rose as the final small pool of water lingered at the very bottom of the lake bed. It resisted for only a moment before vanishing in a cloud of steam, leaving nothing but a massive hole in the ground where a lake had once been.


It didn’t take much longer to make it out of the empty lake bed. The wagon was not far from where they had come out. For some reason, maintaining the shield spell was not as draining as before. Even walking as she was now, Twilight found the strain to be minimal. It took less effort than before, something Twilight found odd. If it was getting hotter, then why was the spell easier to cast?

Indeed, in her fatigued state, Twilight would have believed the shield spell nearly impossible. Yet, there it was. Twilight didn’t have thoughts to spare to the issue. Focus and conservation were key. When they found another spot to rest, hopefully some place that wasn’t trying to kill them, she would ponder it.

It took a bit of effort to get both Twilight and Rarity back into the wagon without breaking the shield spell. Climbing slowly, with the help of their friends, the two unicorns managed to get back to their seats, with the shield only flickering once as they were hoisted up into the wagon.

Pinkie and Fluttershy hooked up once again, ready to get them back on track. Applejack and Rainbow Dash resumed their spots at the back of the wagon. Spike, pulled out the map he had brought with and examined it. They couldn’t go back up the steep incline of the hill they had come down, so they would need another path.

“I think this is the lake,” said Spike as he looked over the map. He tapped the rough outline of a lake with the name Whispering Waters Lake. “It looks like there should be a trail not too far away.” Spike pointed off to their left. “Someplace over there.”

“Then lets get going,” said Applejack. With a jerk, the wagon started to move again. The uneven ground made the wagon bump and jostle but their pace was slow enough so that it wasn’t too bad.

As they walked, orange leaves began to tumble down around them. Soon the air was filled with a cascade of brightly colored leaves of all kind. The wagon didn’t stop but all of the ponies looked up at the trees.

“Wow,” said Rainbow Dash. In every direction leaves drifted down from the trees like winter had come early. The leaves passed through the shield and piled into the wagon.

As the leaves continued to fall their colors began to change. It wasn’t long before the orange had gone, replaced with brown. The dried leaves crumbled in on themselves before dissolving into dust. In minutes it was as if they had sped through all of fall and the branches of the trees above them were bare.

Eventually, they spotted a path, winding through the brown grass. From the path’s condition it was obvious that nopony took care of it. This was not a path meant for carts but rather for walking. However, it was a path and it had to lead some place.

The progress was slow. If they moved faster they risked damaging the wagon. Pinkie and Fluttershy did their best to avoid the biggest potholes in the path but the way was narrow with little room to maneuver.

The road split, with no visible indication of direction. Spike studied the map before finally instructing them to go right, only to call for a stop twenty hooves later and go back to take the left path.

The winding road seemed endless as they stayed at level ground in the valley. The few paths that led up the hillsides were too narrow for the wagon. They had also lost sight of the train tracks. It felt like they were wandering in circles under the relentless sun.

“Alright!” cried Pinkie just after they turned another bend and found nothing but more endless path. “Break time! I need some water!”

“Didn’t you get enough in the lake?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Nope!” said Pinkie, missing the sarcasm. She slipped from the harness and bounced to the wagon, Fluttershy following after her.

“Ah reckon it’s our turn to pull again,” said Applejack.

“Sure,” said Rainbow with a stretch. “I would rather be doing anything other than sitting.” The four ponies all swapped places. Applejack and Rainbow slipped into the harnesses, while Pinkie and Fluttershy seated themselves in the wagon.

They began to move again.

“I’m so thirsty I could drink a lake!” said Pinkie as she worked the top of the barrel off. However, when it came loose she let out a gasp. “Oh-my-gosh-oh-my-gosh-oh-my-gosh!” exclaimed Pinkie.

“Pinkie, what’s wrong?” asked Twilight in concern. But she didn’t need the pony to answer, Twilight had turned to look and saw what had upset Pinkie Pie. “Oh no!”

“What’s wrong!” called Applejack.

“The water,” said Rarity. “The water barrel is empty.”

Author's Note:

Next chapter will be up next Thursday (01/17)! I hope you enjoy and like the new schedule. Working hard on the rest as well as some other things. Crazy busy for me at work right now wasn't sure I was going to finish this chapter in time, but here it is.