• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 149 Comments

Tom walks - Mr Stargazer



The stone on Raritys back was more than it seemed. Tom is an eternal.

  • ...
7
 149
 2,046

words

Time…

Time is a flowing wind carrying ever onward.

Its dry breeze forever blows on the little lives of mortal's. They are just sand, flying on only to fall.

Some beings are the wind, others the ground, even a few are the sunlight and the rain.

I, however, am deeper than that.

I am not like Time or Law.

My strength is different. More…subtle.

Well at least I was.

As my form stepped, every rock and grain of sand was felt underhoof.

My power may have been folded but with my mind I could still feel the earth turn.

Would ponykind know what blood had been spilled on this land in the ancient past?

Of the age of dragons and the fall; of Trina, a city of stone raised in this very spot?

Or the slight trails of chaos magic that were still left from Discord’s rule?

No, it was against their nature.

But I am tom.

And I am powerful.


******************************************


Two mares walked through town with a stallion trailing behind. They were talking about such inconsequential things. Like the weather or what was for sale in the market. Tom had no care for such things. No, what concerned him were the ramifications of his choice. He had watched life turn for so long, but now he was a part of it, affecting their world in subtle ways. What did that mean? He had always been tom; being Eternal and Absolute had always been a part of that. Now, however, he was changing. Did this make him less tom? Was his identity compromised because of this deviation from his path? He would not admit it to himself, but that concept made him afraid. He feared he did not know if he could adapt to this life.

The market…he had watched for a long time from the forest and still did not understand its nature. Why did they collect in such a way? Was it for the company or efficiency? Who decided where it came to be? Mortals still confused him. What small being could of come up with such an idea? It did increase productivity. Tom noticed an argument breaking the sea of harmony. There was Honesty and…some orange-haired mare.

They were angry at one another. He could feel the discord in the air. It was a natural chaos, not…him. Tom came out of his thoughts to stare at the two conflicting ponies as Twilight and Dash walked on.

"Consarn it, Carrot Top! Ah can't have ya scarin' away mah customers!"

"You just don’t want them to hear about how good carrots are for them. Why, if you just eat three carrots a day…"

"I don't care if you only have to eat ONE! You Carrots have always been a problem in this here town!"

"Oh, and the great Apple family is just…"

"Why are you stopping Tom?" asked Twilight, coming up behind him after noticing his absence. Her purple hair stood out against the crowd. He remembered pushing her grandparents together. It had taken some effort to cross the two most powerful unicorn lines. The two houses had been competitors before. He had to make one of the sons become disavowed and then cross him with a long lost line of another clan before making the son from that union be married to Twilight’s mother. It had been even more difficult to push the correct genes through four generations.

"Honesty is fighting with somepony," he said, indicating the two stall owners.

"Uh, her name is Applejack. And yes, she and Carrot Top are always arguing. They are competitors."

"If she dislikes the orange one being there why not simply remove her by force? She seems quite physically superior."

Twilight and Rainbow gasped in shock.

"What!? She can't do that!!"

Tom shook his head knowingly. It was always true about mortals. "Ah, I see." The two mares sighed in relief. "I will do it, then." They lacked strength. Tom only made it two feet toward the mares before Rainbow landed in front of him.

"Are you crazy? You can't go and force somepony to leave!"

"Why not?"

"Because it's against the law!"

The Law…he was familiar with such things. It was always ill-advised to break them. Bad things happen. Usually reality breaks. Such situations were a nightmare to fix. Tom shook his head. He would have to listen if such important constructs were involved.

"Very well I will obey this…the law. No one will be harmed by me."

After a moment they began walking toward Rarity's again. Twilight was making some kind of list labeled ‘Things to teach Tom.’ He was unsure who she meant since he was tom. Did she misunderstand? They arrived shortly after, but unfortunately the two mares were ahead of him and closed the door before he got inside. So there he sat, contemplating an unexpected question…how did one open doors? He had never really paid enough attention to see how. Such a small detail, perhaps if he…after a few minutes he decided on the only logical option available. Rearing back he kicked the door down. With a great crack it busted down, startling the ponies inside. He then calmly walked in, looking each of them in the eye as they stared with their mouths open.

His eyes froze on the last one, however. It was her…Rarity. Her purple hair matched perfectly with the bilateral mental fracture on the left side of her brain. The eyes had just the right discoloration to be interesting to any who could see. The white mane and red blood was a perfect contrast. He found everything about her…beautiful. The one thing he loved most of all, however, was her soul. Such passion for beauty and care for others so evenly mixed. He loved her all the more and yet had not even heard her voice. What he did not notice was the purple dragon running strait for him, enraged and with his claws extended.

Luckily Twilight reacted quickly, encasing the young dragon in magic and lifting him into the air.

"Let me go Twilight! He is attacking Rarity!"

"Calm down Spike, he just doesn't know any better! He is not attacking!"

He kept struggling until Rarity spoke up.

"It's quite alright, Spike. I assume this is the Tom that you were speaking of? It is clear he lacks…social grace."

Perfect. Her voice was perfect.

"That was awesome! I can't believe you just broke down that door!"

Twilight first had a worried expression on her face, but it was soon replaced by excitement.

"I don’t think he understands anything about social norms! This is an amazing insight into pony mentality outside of social stress!"

"Well yes," said Rarity, smiling slightly at Twilight's reaction. "I believe he may need instruction in such things. It would be my pleasure to teach him." She turned to the baby dragon and smiled apologetically. "Spike, we will have to collect gems together some other day."

Spike agreed but angrily walked past tom with near hate in his eyes.

"Have I done something inappropriate?" Tom asked, feeling disquiet. Would they throw him out of the town?

Rarity smiled. "Why…yes dear, I’m afraid you have. Please do not damage anything that is not yours?"

Yours? What did she mean?

"What do you mean yours? Why would I hurt myself?"

"No Tom, she means things that you own."

"Own? What is that?"

"It is when you have the right to decide what happens to an object. Like how I own this quill or this scroll. It is mine and only I have the right to decide what happens to it," Twilight explained.

Tom shook his head. Yes, this concept made sense with what he had seen. Rarity felt sorry for the poor thing. How would it be to not know how to react at all?

"Very well. If I may inquire, where might I stay while in Ponyville?"

He knew homes were traditional.

"Well…there is an inn but I doubt you have any money…"

Rarity had only seen this strange pony for a few minutes but her element would not be denied.

"He can use my guest room Twilight. At least until he is back on his feet."

"Thank you Rarity, there is really no room in the library."

It was decided a few minutes later that travel to the market was once again necessary. Twilight used her magic to repair the door and show Tom how to open it. Rainbow sat looking out the window board.

A few minutes later, they were walking down the path and Twilight was having a deep discussion about the concept of exchange and money.

"No you see, objects have value and money also has value. This value is exchanged for goods and services."

"Why do they not take what they want?"

"Because it is against the law to steal"

This law must be more extensive than he realized. It would be difficult to defeat.

"I will have to find this law…but for now what is this money, exactly?"

"Well here darling," said Rarity as she floated a bit over to him "It is made of gold. This is rare and valuable."

"Like you?" asked Tom innocently.

Rarity blushed. "Well, yes some might say that."

"Where can I acquire some of this…money?"

"Yes," said Twilight, smiling slightly. "You can do that by getting a job."

It took a while to explain work to him but he was quick to understand. They talked about banks and wages mostly. The entire concept of perceived value versus actual value was hard to get across, but he grasped it after a while.

"I must acquire money if I am to fit in with society."

"Well, I could help-" Tom cut Twilight off.

"No, I can acquire this currency by myself."

Another uncomfortable silence hit. Tom was getting tired of those.

"I have to ask darling, do you intend to steal?"

"No. I will acquire the money within the law," he responded quickly. "First, however, where is this law kept?"

"I could lend you a book on law, Tom." Twilight was glad that he at least understood the need to change.

Tom nodded. "I need to go somewhere alone to think. I will come back here soon," he explained, and then left.

The three mares stood talking for a while about what they should do. Rarity was still looking at the door after he had gone.


***************************************************


Tom walked into a secluded area near the forest. A small hill protected him from the inquisitive gazes of onlookers. For a moment he relaxed and let his mind expand. If any soul had somehow gotten through the perfect wards compelling everyone who desired entrance to leave, they would have seen the stallion's hair start to wave and the stone wall in his eyes give way to show his true power. He spoke in but a whisper.

"Come to me…"

His power reached into the very core. It was powerful magic tied into the very world. None could feel it save those tied deeply to the world.

On the ground a golden pool began to form. He could not make something from nothing but it was well within his abilities to draw the minute amounts of gold to one spot. Most did not know but there was a small amount of any material beneath their feet at any time. After only a few minutes there was a block of gold sitting at his feet.

He focused and took out the coin thrown at him earlier. It was good of him to give this coin even if the delivery method held something to be desired. Using the coin as a blueprint Tom turned the bars into replicas of the coin and pulled them into a sack.

When he left for Rarity's the sun was low in the sky and he felt restless. That was strange. He had never been restless before. During the trek he noticed the orange one. The one called Carrot Top.

It would be so simple to remove her. Simply weaken the bonds holding her flesh together. It would make Applejack happy and therefore Rarity happy. His hoof raised but then stopped. It came to his mind that he had promised the one called Loyalty to obey the law. It had been said so simply but only now did he realize the full implications.

He was eternal. His word simply was. He would not go against it.

That meant that if the law said anything, he would have to obey.

Even if it was to never speak to Rarity again.

Even if it was to cease.

And he was eternal.

He would have to obey forever.

**********************************************

The two Alicorns stopped in the middle of their conversation over afternoon tea. They sat, feeling power that neither had known since they were but foals. In a moment it was gone. It was as if a hoof that held the world in it had suddenly appeared and then vanished without a trace.

There was silence. The royal guests’ conversation and smiles slowly died down at the sight of the immortal Alicorns shaking in fear.

"Sister," said Luna tremulously. "Was that what I think it was?"

"Indeed Luna," replied Celestia. She then turned to the other dinner guests. "I apologize, but you must leave immediately. A matter of great importance has come up."

The guests thanked them for the tea and nervously left. The princess had never spoken to any of them in such a way.

The two sisters walked out onto a balcony.

"Sister. I have not felt that power since the creation of the Elements that was so long ago…we searched so long for the source, but there was nothing. Why now?"

"I think he has been moving, but not strongly. Not like before. He talked to me while you were…gone, " Celestia informed her sister, her voice becoming quiet. "I even heard his voice."

"When?" Luna gasped. Celestia looked at her sister, fear and sadness in her eyes.

"I had a…vision two hundred years ago when I was alone in my bed." She bowed her head.

"I know that no matter how long I live those words will always be with me. He told me to tell the Apple family to settle where they did, thus making Ponyville. Then..." she shook. "Then he said three sentences containing more power than I could ever hope to muster. I never considered for a moment that they might be false. ‘The one who was cast into the moon shall return. She will come to bring about eternal night. On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape.’"

They stood in silence.

"What does he want? What should we do?" asked Luna.

"Watch…and wait."


*************************************


Rarity was cleaning as she thought about the pony that she would now be living with. He was so strange. Twilight and Rainbow had told them about their conversation before leaving. First, he comes out of the Everfree and then he does not even seem to know what is right and what is wrong. He had even thought about harming Carrot Top! Sure it had been to help Applejack, but still. What kind of pony would think about doing something like that? It is understandable if he did not know any better but…

The front door opened and Rarity walked down to see Tom standing at the door. He calmly walked over to her and dropped a sack of gold in front of her.

"Where did you get this?" she asked, concern in her voice.

"…I made it"

"And how did you make this much?" Her voice was beginning to show disappointment.

"I used gold."

"And where did you get it?"

"The forest. I took what was owned by no one."

What is wrong with this pony? Rarity thought. He just makes everything so difficult. Does he really not know any better or is that just him trying to get on our good side?

"Rarity, where should I sleep? This body needs rest."

"Right this way, darling. But I must ask, why did you bring all these bits here?"

"You are helping me. That is a service. You gave me food. That is a good. Ponies pay bits for services and goods. I intend to become a normal pony."

"Have you never heard of generosity? Those were gifts Tom."

"Gifts?"

"Gifts are when one pony gives another an item for free."

"Very well, then. This is a gift."

"I couldn't accept this much as a gift! You will be destitute!"

"I will be fine. Take the bits and pay for my expenses. I don't wish to burden you."

Rarity would normally have said no, but the pony might be there a while.

"Ok, Tom. I will take it, but you can't leave until you are ABSOLUTELY ready."

"Ok, Rarity."

The room was small, but Tom did not care. It was only a space like any other. He lay down on the bed and thought about what he had learned this first day. It had gone well, but there was still a feeling of failure. That promise would hang over him for millennia until this nation ended. That was the minimum that he could stretch what he had said. Until then, he would have to stay far from here or risk…complications. But he could not leave while there was still Rarity. Tom worked on the problem for a whole ten minutes before allowing his mind to rest. It was going to be a difficult day tomorrow.