• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 149 Comments

Tom walks - Mr Stargazer



The stone on Raritys back was more than it seemed. Tom is an eternal.

  • ...
7
 149
 2,046

finale

The late morning sun beat down on the Element of Honesty as she trotted up to the Ponyville medical’s double doors. Her right hoof reached out and pushed open the door that stood in her way. Trotting into the room, she was greeted by the sterile atmosphere of the hospital. Applejack always felt alien in this place, being raised on a dirty farm meant getting dirty was a requirement and a lifestyle.

She quick glanced at her right and spotted a coat rack. More for hats and garments the many ponies would often bring in during the colder months of the year. She looked to her left and saw the lounge the family members would usually sit at. Currently it was occupied by a worried looking family of three. She walked forward to the nurse at the welcome desk. The nurse looked up and smiled. Applejack returned that smile and comfortably walked up to her, forgetting the alienating feeling of dirt on a clean floor.

“Howdy, ah’m lookin’ fer a friend of mine,” Applejack spoke contently.

The nurse nodded and picked up a large three ringed binder with the names of the patients.

“What’s her name dear?” the mare asked pleasantly.

“Twilight and Pinkie,” responded Applejack.

The mare looked through the binder of patients and flipped the pages. Applejack saw her skipping a large chunk of pages when she landed on ‘F’ and threw it to the left side of the ringed binder. She landed on ‘M’ and continued to flip pages until she landed on ‘V’. The nurse realized her mistake and flipped the pages back a few and landed on ‘T’. She scrutinized the pages until she landed on a name that made her smile.

The mare looked up at Applejack.

“Oh yes, visitors are allowed so head on down too room T273 on the second floor.”

“Thank yah kindly,” Applejack said with a tilt of her hat.

Applejack walked around the welcome desk and down the white plaster hallways. As she trotted she noticed trays of hospital equipment resting on a stretcher without a patient. She silently wondered if the hospital was on a tight budget and thought of how this would affect Twilight and Pinkie. She dismissed her paranoid thoughts when she saw a smiling doctor trot merrily past her. She began to think that the tray of hospital equipment was placed there for convenience purposes.

Applejack continued down the hallway until she met a three way intersection of the hallways. She took a right because she knew there was a staircase at the end of it. She picked up her pace as she began to become inpatient with her journey to room T273. She reached the end of the hallway and opened the door and rushed up the spiral staircase. She reached the second floor and began to look for the ‘T’ section of the hallways.

She trotted more slowly as she found the ‘T’ section of the hallway and began looking at the room numbers.

“157…180…200-” Applejack’s thought was cut off by a white figure.

None other than Princess Celestia was walking out of a hospital room down the hall. Applejack began to feel nervous and bowed as Celestia walked by. Applejack continued to watch the sun goddess go until she turned a corner and was out of sight. Applejack turned back down the hallway and looked at the door Celestia came out of. She quickly assumed Celestia just visited Twilight and she trotted with a purpose toward the door.

Walking in she was met with silence.

"..."

"..."

The first one to gain the ability to speak again was Rainbow Dash.

"So Twilight's an alicorn now?"

"I didn't even know that was possible," said Rarity. "Does anypony know what happened to Pinkie Pie?"

"Well um... according to the doctors, she was brought in by Tom."

"Tom!?" shouted Rarity.

"I knew he was no good! I'm going to go find him!"

With that the rainbow mare tried to shoot off through a window but was stopped by Applejack grabbing her tail.

"Whoa there, we don't know what happened."

"If he wasn't guilty he would be here!"

As the elements of truth and loyalty argued on, Rarity checked on Pinkie Pie, wondering where Tom had gone.

*******************************************************************

Celestia and Luna met just outside of Ponyville. They had a task to complete. Worrying about Twilight could wait.

Whatever had caused the anomaly had made itself perpetuating. It was growing at an alarming rate.

It was good that they had been as close as they were or it may have not been stopped.

*******************************************************************

The green fields stretched on forever. Their hills having obliviously only recently given way from a long frost.

Tom could feel the groans of this land. It cried out to be cleansed of its taint.

But he cared not.

No.

He was on a mission. A alicorn had been raised without his blessing.

She could twist the fabric from his grasp and break the path.

You are no longer tom.

The being paused. It had been so long since he had spoken in his own mind. Even longer since he had addressed himself.

...I have taken life before its time. Of course I am not tom.

Then who are you?

The eternal grew angry with himself.

Even that question is flawed. Tom was not a name. It is a state of being.

A state only you have inhabited...therefore it is both name and description.

...if I am no longer tom I will need a name.

Yes.

...I am...Tom. I still have a mission.

What give you the right to judge her, Tom?

Nothing...I take that right.

...

Tom continued his walk to the city made of Crystal on the horizon. Already he could feel the spells reaching out to identify him.

He denied them.

He continued to step forward.

Two troops turned their spyglasses to look at the lone pony walking toward the city.

Their orders were simple. If the spell failed, identify the being then isolate him and take him to the highest army officer on duty.

That would be a stallion named Shining Armor.

Who happened to be with Princess Cadence at lunch.

One may think that Tom would have been lucky to gain such easy entry and they would be right. That is if he had taken it.

The four guards who had approached Tom fell to the ground unconscious as his hoof connected with their heads. He simply flowed around them, his body almost seemed to have no need to support itself.

Which it didn't.

The city alarm went off only a minute afterwards causing all the local ponies to run into their homes.

When the backup division arrived Tom had made it just into the town as the barrier came down.

"HALT IN THE NAME OF PRINCESS CADANCE!"

"...Why?"

The guard did a double take.

"...Ummm. Because you're breaking the law?"

"...Oh. Okay."


*******************************************************************


The guards brought the pony before Cadence and Shining in chains. She stood tall. This was the first 'invasion' that she would be dealing with and would be the precedent to all her future endeavors as ruler.

"State your name."

"Tom."

"...Tom. Why did you this evening attempt to break through the barrier?" Her formal speech was needed. This was going on the record. Even a news pony was there.

"Ummm, Miss?"

"Yes?"

"He did make it through the barrier and surrendered ...once we told him he was breaking the law."
Cadence stared at the guard before giving herself a little shake and turning back to the earth pony.

"Why have you come to the Crystal Empire?"

"To decide if I'm going to kill you."

"..."

Every pony was staring at him with their mouths open. What kind of ...killer told his potential victim he was thinking of killing them?

"...That is a very serious offence. Do tell. Why would you wish to kill me?"

"If you were evil or a destructive influence I would. However you seem...nice."

Now everypony was terribly confused beyond all reason. Eventually Cadence turned to the guard.

"Why would you bring a pony before me with such charges when his mind is clearly addled?"

"Well I-"

"My mind is not addled, little one."

More silence. Cadence's position in the empire was too tenuous to not confront such disrespect.

"You will address me as Princess Cadence, and as you can see-" She stood up and walked to stand before the pony in front of her. "-I am anything but little."

"...I was not referring to your physical size. I meant your mind."

The shock of the crowd turned to anger.

"Who do you-"

"SILENCE YOU LITTLE-"

"My Queen, let us take this -"

Many voices spoke out. So many that no one voice could be heard.

"SILENCE!" The royal Canterlot voice that Celestia taught her really brought the room to a stillness.

"I...am over two hundred years old." She began to walk around the unfortunate pony. She felt sadness in her heart for him, but this shaming had to be done.

For her position.

"I have seen the rise and fall of a nation. Battles and wars. I have fought with a dark queen herself and have survived. Sombra fell at my magic. Yet you dare to call me small?"

She had circled him fully and now turned to face him once again with her wings fully spread, expecting to see a cowing pony.
Yet she found a being unimpressed.

"My name is Tom."

The silence of the ponies was just as palatable. Yet this went further. The stones ceased to settle and the city's noise fell to silence though the ponies outside still moved. Even the wind ceased.

"I am an eternal."

The silence continued. No half hidden grins were to be found when the chains that had bound him simply...fell away into pieces.

"I looked out on the first day at the rising of the sun."

A weight descended on the ponies in the room. The weight of his will.

"I was there when the first pony drew breath."

All others were on their knees save for Cadence. Though her legs trembled.

"I watched the rising of empires...and their fall."

All the ponies of the city lay on the ground barely breathing. His voice piercing their skulls. He began to move toward Cadence.

"I commanded. Celestia and Luna were made."

Cadence fell to her knees. She could feel that the only reason her subjects were not dead was that this...one did not wish them to be.

"I moved and DISCORD WAS SILENCED."

She trembled as the light from sun entering the room began to darken.

"I am Tom. I am here to judge thee."

Utter silence prevailed until one voice spoke out.

"...Spare my subjects...Punish only me for my insolence."

"..."

"..."

"...I have judged thee and find...you pass. There is no evil in you."

The will of Tom withdrew from the city and he walked onto a nearby patio.

With but a look back at the faces filled with everything but understanding, he simply vanished. A moment later Cadence cried out as the barrier was cleanly punctured. Not broken. Simply ignored.

The news praised the princess for her bravery.

*********************************************************************************

Rarity, the other three, and Celestia walked into her boutique and crowed into and just outside Tom's room. Applejack placed the sleeping form of Spike into the bed. He had stayed up almost two days with Twilight to no avail. Pinkie had not made much progress either.

Celestia had insisted on being shown the room were Tom had stayed. What they found surprised everypony.

All of the wooden furniture had merged with the floor and had sealed shut. Rarity commented when she saw that the bath was untouched. The whole room seemed...off.

"...Celestia. Who was Tom?"

They had searched high and low for the stallion and Rarity...really wanted to know.

"Perhaps...Well...I don't know. There is a powerful being. One who has manipulated events since...well forever. It was he who made the elements and him who placed you six where you needed to be. I don't know if Tom is this being or simply a...construct made by him. All I do know is that whatever he moves with is powerful."

"How powerful?"

"...I am but a candle...nay a dull coal to his sun. Nothing can compare. Save maybe...Discord."

"Oh umm..."

"What is it Fluttershy?"

"...He visited me a few nights ago...before running off crying."

"Crying..." Rarity's heart hurt. "What did he say?"

"...He said that you had an argument...and that...well he came to Ponyville to find you."

"Me why?"

"...He said he loved you."

Tears came to Rarity's eyes and she fell to the ground.

A ripple was felt by the princess...in the far north.

************************************************************************

Tom was without a doubt angry.

He had been thinking a lot in the last hour and a half.

A virtual eternity in his current state.

It had come upon him suddenly.

How did Rarity come to be near me?

Such a simple question lead to many more. Tom did not believe in chance.

I did not think of it before...why would Discord wish a mare to find me? Unless...He is good at understanding others. Could he have seen my weakness?

Tom was near invulnerable. This would be one of the few ways to hurt him . Why would Discord do something like this?

Did he want to hurt me......... of course he did. I had thought he had forgotten. Entropy. It's time we speak again.

"Tom."

"...What do you want, Time?" He spoke to the other currently incorporeal being.

"I want you to leave Discord alone."

"...Are you trying to alter time, Time? You know that's forbidden."

"For me...not for you, tom."

"I am no longer tom. I am Tom."

"...I see. Then there is no diverting you?"

"No...I will go to Discord."

Tom began to reform in the castle gardens. His flesh falling back into place from the wind.

He will answer to me.

"AWAKEN"

The draconequus stature cracked. A laugh filled the garden.

"I was never asleep, Tom."

"...You know my name."

"Of course."

"How have you been, Entropy?"

"...Don't call me that."

"Of course...Discord."

The two stared at each other. Tom thought he was calmer than he should be. A long time ago he would have been pure madness. There was no talking to such a being ...now.

"I'm sorry, Discord. Truly I am. I could not a prevented it...How could I have known?"

Discord growled.

"You let it happen!"

"I gave you the baby! How was I to know? There had never been one like it before.... You and Love...It was impossible. What is love that falls inevitably apart? Nothing!"

"YOU KNEW!"

"I DID NOT!"

"WHY DID YOU NOT SAVE HER!?"

"IT WAS NOT MY PLACE! IT WOULD HAVE DESTROYED THE UNIVERSE! IT WAS A MONSTER!"
Discord roared. Tom felt him pull on all his power to attack then...nothing.

The draconequus smiled.

"Did you enjoy your time with Rarity?"

Tom sat still. Power building inside of him.

Discord leaned nonchalantly against a tree.

"You know love is such a...chaotic emotion. One that I understand quiet well. "

He leaned close to Tom.

"It hurts doesn't it?"

"..."

"..."

"Yes. Is that why she found her way to me?"

"Yes."

"...You put so much at risk...for revenge?"

"Of course."

"......................"

They stared at each other for a time, Discord feeling triumphant in his victory.

"You were always weaker than me, Order. I am the strongest immortal."

"...That is not my name."

Confusion crossed Discord's face.

"What?"

"I am not Order. I never was a fundamental."

"..."

"I am an Eternal."

"There are no Eternals."

"There is one."

Tom lashed out, but not to hurt. No, he did something...deeper.

Discords eyes widened.

"What did you do?"

"I made you understand."

The Lord of Chaos lifted his claw staring down at it in horror.

"WHAT DID YOU DO!?"

"I made you understand, Discord....there is no such thing as chaos."

The mad one was about to retort when he felt something. He saw all of creation. How it fit and how it moved. How everything was simply caused by another and how it all was ...logical.

He looked out and saw the order in everything. He saw the exactness of everything.

"When you became Discord...well. As you can see there is Entropy. But no chaos no...Discord."

And without chaos he is the aspect of nothing and so is not one at all.

"...You think you have beaten me!"

"Of course I have. You're mortal now."

"No," Discord growled. " You have only sealed her fate. I will kill her."

"I will stop you."

Discord laughed grinning evilly.

"You made one miscalculation."

"What?" Tom said confused.

"I still have my power."

"You can't use it. You would be destroyed."

"Yet I could do one thing."

Discord's fingers reached up. Tom moved to stop him but then the draconequus snapped his fingers.

And fell to dust.

"...What did you do Discord...WHAT DID YOU DO!?"

Tom reached out.

He reached out even as the guards surrounded him.

Even as they moved to cuff him.

Far off in space, a planetoid had turned.

Its course had been locked.

It would collide with the planet in two days.

Tom vanished.


******************************************************************************


Celestia, Luna and Twilight were in a panic. Luna had sensed the warping and the now confirmed planetoid's turn. They did not have long to move.

"Twilight, speak to the mayor. Have her prepare to house and feed the entire unicorn population of Equestria. Money is no object."

"Yes, Princess." The new alicorn turned quickly, telling herself she would deal with her change later.

"Captain."

"Ma'am?"

"Send a message. Every unicorn no matter the age is required to come to Ponyville immediately. All effort is to be given to have them here by tomorrow."

"Yes ma'am."

"And Luna...let us prepare."

The two sister knew there was no time for words. They simply walked out and began to prepare their magic for the next day.


************************************************


Law stepped forward, rage on his face.

"TOM!"

The eternal turned around. His power fully extended. There would be no more hiding.

"You have broken the Law."

"...I obey no law save my own. That I will never break again."

"You have destroyed the world."

"I will wait for the next."

"...Wait for the next? We will all die!"

"...I shall not."

"You're mad."

"Maybe... "

Silence. Law had not been prepared for this but he had a job to do.

"I judge you guilty, Tom."

"... And what will you do about it?"

The eternal stared at the immortal egging him on.

"...Do you want me to do it Tom?" he asked, confused.

"...Yes."

"Then how is it punishment...ah I know, I'll just kill the elements."

It was over in a moment. Tom was simply too strong.

The eternal would not allow her to be destroyed.

He struck out at Law who responded in kind.

Law was erased instantly.

Tom was...cut..and just like Discord he was now ....weakened. It left him empty. He had finally done it... the final rule of tom. He felt his connection fade and his body take form.

Take no life.

And he had. Thus truly was no longer tom.

"Do you three wish me harm?"

The three others, Time, Death and Life, all stepped out of the nothing.

"...No. I advised them it would do no good to help Law."

"...Very well. Leave me."

"Tom..."

"Leave me, Time...I have killed. What purpose do I serve now?"

"...Go to her, Tom."

The eternal was...surprised.

"Go to her...is that best?"

"Trust me it is...necessary."

"...Okay, Time. Thank you."

The three moved forward and hugged the eternal. He accepted it.

"I will go to her...What of the planetoid?"

"...It is beyond us, and now you as well," said Death. "You know what you must do."

"I have a final request."


****************************************************************


Rarity was crying alone.

Her love was gone.

The world was likely to end.

She laid alone on her bed after sending all others away.

All she wanted was Tom.

"...Rarity."

The mare turned around and was confronted with a ragged stallion.

"Tom!"

She jumped out of the bed and ran over embracing him without hesitation.

"I'm so sorry I, I didn't mean it. It was not true. Please come back."

Tom could not understand. Such things were against his nature. However he could accept them.

"Of course I forgive you. Can you do the same for me?"

"Yes," She responded and without hesitating kissed him on the lips.

.........

..........

.........

.......

Tom found this agreeable.

The night they spent together was close and it felt like an eternity. Even as others ran in panic, they sat alone talking and having dinner.

Even as the planetoid neared the next day they were still together.

"Rarity"

"Yes Tom?"

"...I have to go. If I dont do this...I will no longer be myself."

"...I know."

"It is in my power, Rarity. I could save this town and let the rest of the world burn...however...I won't put that choice on you. I love you, Rarity."

"I love you too, Tom."


**********************************************************


All of the magic of Equestria was focused on the planetoid but it was not enough. Discord had set the course and only an greater power could turn it.

Tom stepped forward.

He may no longer be tom, but he still had power.

Death would keep her promise.

He walked past the guards.

Past the families.

Past all the others.

He walked up to his two daughters.

"Celestia, Luna."

The two alicorn only noticed him once he was close. He had somehow passed unseen through all the guards and now stood with them at the town center.

"...Tom. What are you doing here? Is your master going to help?"

"...I have no master. There is only me."

The monarchs focused on him for a moment.

His strength could turn them from death. It was already certain they would fail alone.

"Will you help us?"

"...Yes, though I have something I must say."

"What?"

Tom looked into both their eyes and knew it was just too much to say with words.

So he touched them with his mind and...shared.

He told them of their birth.

Of his love.

And just how proud he was of them.

"I love you both...take care of Rarity."

"...We will...Father."

With that Tom turned.

And the planetoid was no more.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Tom had awoken three days later. With the disaster averted the ponies had gone home, glad that their princesses had saved the day. Pinkie Pie made a full recovery and even came to forgive Tom.

Rarity had stayed by his side every minute.

He was different now just...a mortal.

A sick mortal at that.

Even as his condition worsened, Rarity stayed with him.

Right up until the end.

On a cold day Tom lay in his bed, darkness creeping up on him.

Rarity came in, having stepped out for a moment to talk to a nurse who had come for her.

She had news.

"Tom...can you hear me?"

The tired eyes of the pony opened. He knew his body was dying. There was no way it could take the strain of his full spirit.

"...I hear you my dear...Rarity."

"I have something to tell you."

The heart monitor was fluctuating wildly.

A nurse stood nearby ready to take the time.

"...yes?" his voice fading away.

Rarity picked him up and held him in a hug as he drew his last breath. She cried.

"You have a son, Tom. You have a son."

Author's Note:

Ok I have finally remembered to put this up...and realized I had lost everything on it.
No notes
Only vague memory of what was suppose to happen.
I hope you enjoy it and read some of the other stories I have.
See ya.

Comments ( 19 )

Will there be a Tom2?

Tom has created life. Hopefully this will Balance out him ending the life of Law. Then he will have only broken one of his fundamental rules.

Finally you finished it. Good that I reminded you eh? :rainbowlaugh:

I think it is kinda strange that I got dem feels even though the whole idea of Tom being THE God is just ridiculous. Well, great story, and now get back to writing Mordane. :rainbowwild:

2288498 lol wut. no sorry hes not the God either..If you want me to explain I can.

you have to make a sequel for his son :ajbemused:

2288717 maybe...eventually....ok I did have one idea...It was going to be Toms son but I have better ideas I'm working on.

Thus ends the epic tale of Tom. And what a tale it was. Good show, glad to see it finally got wrapped up.

I shall await the sequel.

2439342 That's what I said at the ending of Half-Life 2... still F:yay:ING WAITING!

2288729 I demand that the creator takes pride in what tom did and gives him life back. Powers and all :pinkiesmile:

Wow an utterly awesome story about a God Rock. I can live with that. You are a very creative writer mads props shall be given.

Ugh, not tom. I loved the idea of Tom being a powerful god. I just wish he was still absolute. But all good things must come to an end:raritycry:

Re-reading this i am still not disappointed. It is still beautifully awesome.

Wow
...just
Thank you

Stone. i'll admit it i was having second thoughts before reading this story, but i am glad that i did, even tho there where a few things i didn't like, the story felt a little too 'quick?' all of this happened in span of like what? a two weeks? less?(but than again Tom doesn't follow rules but his own, and time holds little power over him), i also had some problems following some of the dialog, it wasn't always clear as to who was speaking. all things consider it was a nice read, i wouldn't mind some more :)
EDIT: *notices that story was written back in 2012-2013* now i am even happier that i did stumble upon this story :)

8507217
I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

One day I may return to this and do a rewrite (Romance is my weakest writing point and I could use the practice)

You are right about the time scale I could have added in more subplot to make it a bit longer but I stayed concise.

Login or register to comment