• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 2,864 Views, 304 Comments

The Sunset Trilogy - ocalhoun



Twilight Sparkle faces the end of the world as she knows it. An epic three book series depicting the fall of Equestria and the rise of a new nation from the ashes.

  • ...
19
 304
 2,864

PreviousChapters Next
Book 2 - Chapter XVII

Book 2: Equestria Lost
Chapter 9

Sunny looked askance at Twilight at the dinner table that night... again. The odd purple unicorn kept making the strangest faces... and several times it seemed like she was about to say something, but suddenly stopped. Sunny kept an eye on her new friend's odd behavior, but paid most of her attention to the meal... It was quite astounding really, better than most they had been able to scrounge up recently. Apples were fine and all, of course, but you get tired of them... especially if you're a young filly always wanting to try new things. And they had been stuck with apples for a long time now. Two of the only-slightly-burnt soup cans were in today's dinner though, and the improvement was magnificent!

She was about to reach for another serving, ignoring the beautiful-looking apples on the table, when Twilight finally managed to blurt out, “It's all my fault!”

Sunny looked over at the unicorn quizzically, as did Big Macintosh, who only let out a confused “Huh?”

Twilight was sitting there as if she expected the world to come crashing down in on her now, crouched down with eyes shut tight and hooves over her head... But after a few moments of silence broken only by Big Mac's questioning 'huh', an eye peaked out, glancing around nervously.

“Watcha mean, Twi?” Sunny asked.

“Don't you get it!?!” Twilight screeched, “It was all my fault! I'm the one who's responsible!”

This only elicited further confusion from the bright yellow filly. “Responsible for what?”

“EVERYTHING!” Twilight responded, “The princesses, Applejack, they're gone because of ME!”

This time it was Sunny's turn to add in a “Huh?”

“I was the one who distracted the princesses at the crucial moment! I was the one who rushed in without the tools we needed to defeat Pestilence! I was the one who killed them! ME!” Twilight was in tears at this point, head sagging down to the table.

“Twilight, it is NOT your fault,” Sunny said, “I know you, and you'd never do that!”

Twilight only responded from her fortress of misery there on the table, not even looking up. “But I DID. I'm an awful pony. I should have died instead. I deserved it.”

Sunny Daze hopped onto the table, spilling a couple drinks in the process, and making her way right up to where Twilight's head was hidden under her hooves. “Did you want it to happen that way?”

“No, no, no, NO!” Twilight sobbed.

“Are you happy it happened that way?” The filly continued.

Twilight Sparkle looked up at the filly on the table in front of her. The tears streaking down her face and her desperate, self-accusing eyes were answer enough without resorting to any words.

“Then we forgive you.” Sunny Daze proclaimed with a magnanimous look on her face.

Twilight's turn this time, she replied only with, “Huh?”

“Right, Big Macintosh?” The filly asked.

“Eeyup.”

“But... but but... how...” Twilight stammered. “It's the worst thing ever! I'm the worst pony ever!”

Sunny looked down at the despondent purple unicorn... she had to do something to cheer her up. “Twilight,” She said, “you did everything you could, because you only knew what you did then. I know you didn't mean to, and that's what makes the difference!” With that, she jumped at Twilight, forcing the unicorn to catch her – into a tight hug.

With the little filly wrapped around her neck, Twilight finally began to feel forgiven and accepted by the others... Forgiving herself though... that wouldn't be as easy.

* * *

Sunny Daze leaped into the sky, straining to catch hold of that elusive purple glowing flower, but again it darted up out of her reach. She had been playing like this with Twilight for the better part of a sun cycle, and still showed no signs of slowing down. Twilight kept the flowers darting around, actually having to strain herself to keep the filly from catching them; her magic was still weak. This was excellent training, of course, getting her magical abilities back in top shape... but more than that, she loved to see the little filly playing and laughing in the sunshine – Sunny seemed to adore sunshine!

Loosing her attention for a moment, the flower drooped, allowing Sunny to snatch it from the air. She promptly ate it, lest it escape again, then turned to Twilight, beaming. No, Twilight thought, that was what made it all worthwhile. Somehow making the little filly smile was opening Twilight up, and letting her forget about the past.

* * *

Big Macintosh watched Sunny and Twilight play on the grass in the front yard, enjoying the short burst of sunshine before the third sunset of the day came around. It was a real pleasure to see the two enjoying themselves... and he had few enough pleasures these days. The plague had taken a lot out of him, and though he didn't let on about it, it still pained him every day, weakening his every movement.

He had struggled on though. First to care for the ailing Applebloom and Granny Smith, then to care for the orphaned filly, Sunny. Seeing the two out on the lawn like that though allowed him to relax for the first time in a long while. Twilight would look after Sunny, raising her up into a fine young mare... and Sunny would look after Twilight, her sunny disposition helping keep Twilight out of the dumps. A gentle smile crossed his face as he let his tiredness catch up to him, and settled in for a nap, sitting there on what used to be Granny's favorite rocker on the front porch.

* * *

As the sun began to set, Twilight and Sunny came trotting in from the yard. Sunny was sweaty all over, and with more than a few grass stains, and Twilight was beaming a huge smile despite a growing headache from magical overexertion.

Sunny came hopping up the steps, already shouting to Big Macintosh about how much fun she had. Twilight noticed Big Mac sleeping peacefully in the rocker, and began to chide Sunny about waking him up... when she noticed just how still he was... And noticed how Sunny hadn't woken him up.

Worried, Twilight trotted over, giving him a nudge... and a poke... and a shout... and even a shake... all to no avail. The big red pony had finally succumbed to his plague-born weakness and let himself go.

Realizing this, Twilight stepped back, covering her mouth in an expression of shock and loss.

Sunny had just sat down, eyes tearing up, but not yet crying. Big Mac had become like a father to her already. For a while now, her life had revolved around him... but she was becoming much too exposed to such losses for such a little filly... it was almost as if she expected them now, and she was better able to accept them.

Twilight looked back at the filly, expecting her to be bawling... Only to see her handling it well... too well. It hit her then just how much Sunny had lost. What was a little more, after all? She scooped her up, holding her tight, and promising to herself never to leave little filly alone.

* * *

PreviousChapters Next