• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 4,837 Views, 116 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 16 "Among Alicorns" - Jacoboby1



A murder mystery taking place during an Alicorn Royal Summit

  • ...
2
 116
 4,837

Chapter 1 "The Alicorn Summit"

Equestria Noir

Case 16

“Among Alicorns”

Written by: Jacoboby1 and ShatteredIllusions

Cover art by Skullman846

Chapter 1
“The Alicorn Summit”

My faithful student Twilight,

As you must have read in the papers, this weekend Canterlot will be hosting a summit meeting between several important rulers. I cordially invite you, Spike, and Private to witness this, once in a lifetime, event. It is exceedingly rare for Alicorns to gather in one place. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

P.S. Shining Armor would like to see you as well when you come.
____________________________________________________________________

“Quiz me again!” Twilight demanded, as she paced in front of me. We were on the train heading to Canterlot, so far it’d been nearly two hours of nonstop quizzing about Royal names and etiquette. Spike had done the smart thing and gone to sleep before Twilight started getting super nervous. Now I’m stuck being her unwilling study buddy.

“All right,” I looked at the list again. “Name all three of the major kingdoms who will be present, and their monarchs.”

“Fire Kingdom,” Twilight replied, “ruled by the very popular King Onyx, unmarried currently. One heir, Prince Ember, also popular among his people. Oberon and Titania, are the rulers of the Deer Kingdoms. They haven’t left their ancient lands in over a century. Reclusive but apparently wise and caring towards their subjects.”

It sounded like they would get along famously with Twilight. “The last one?”

“King Thor,” Twilight recited, “ruler of the Cloud Kingdom, a confederacy of Pegasi founded many years ago. Boisterous and loud, but friendly if reports are to be believed.”

“Any idea why they’re all meeting?” I asked.

“Apparently, it has to do with the troubling events going on in Equestria,” Twilight speculated. “Celestia mentioned in a recent letter that she wanted to form some alliances, should the need arise where we can’t help.”

“It just seems a little odd to me” I said, putting down the list. “Now, you're ready, will you quit worrying?”

“What makes you think I’m worried?” Twilight said, in a high pitched voice.

I winced. “Your sweat is forming a puddle on the floor,” I said, pointing to said puddle.

“Oh,” she blushed, wiping her brow. “Sorry, I just don’t want to let Celestia down. Whenever she asks me to come along on big events like this I always get so nervous that I’ll screw something up.”

I just smiled and put my hoof around her shoulder, pulling her close. “You’ll do fine, your smart and you’re the Element of Magic, for pete’s sake. I’ll be right there with you if it becomes too much, okay?”

“Thanks,” she smiled warmly at me, and was moving in for a kiss when I heard a gagging sound. I turned around and saw Spike making a disgusted face.

“Get a room you two," he complained, before going back to sleep.

Twilight and I just laughed at our dragon companion as the train steamed along towards Equestria’s capital.

_______________________________________________________

A pair of solar guards led us through the halls of Canterlot Castle. I was only inside the castle itself a couple of times before. Granted I wasn't always invited but, eh, details. I was once again amazed by how well decorated and lavish it was. Several guards and servants greeted Twilight as we passed, I even overhead some maids giggling over the fact she was accompanied by a stallion.

Spike lounged on my back, and announced animatedly, “I’ll admit, it is kind of cool we'll get to see other Alicorns like Celestia and Luna!”

“It’s a rare thing indeed,” I said, smiling back at my dragon companion. “According to most reports only a dozen Alicorns are alive today. All of them royalty in some way.”

“What about Cadence?” Spike asked, curiously. “Wasn’t she born an Alicorn?”

“Yes, Spike,” Twilight explained, “but she is an incredibly rare case. Cadence was the first one born in a very long time”

“So seeing a group of them in one place is a very important event,” I said, feeling a little excited myself.

“I just hope Twilight can handle this,” Spike whispered in my ear. “Aren’t you a little suspicious about all of this?”

I nodded, letting Twilight walk ahead so she wouldn’t overhear, “I think there’s a reason we were brought along, and it’s not just for moral support, that’s for sure.”

“Why don’t we tell Twilight?” Spike asked.

“She has enough on her plate,” I explained, “and I don’t have any concrete evidence, just a gut feeling that something is up.”

______________________________________________________

We arrived at the throne room to see Celestia sitting there in all her glory. She smiled down at the three of us, as we bowed before her. Descending from her throne she gesturing for us to rise. “Thank you all for coming.”

“Always a pleasure, Princess,” Twilight replied. “When are the other monarchs arriving?”

“In a few hours,” Celestia said, “feel free to take advantage of the palace’s resources to get ready.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Twilight bowed her head. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to start getting ready.” She headed out, but I stayed behind.

I looked up at Princess Celestia and said, “Your Highness, with all due respect, why did you want her to bring Spike and I along?”

“Nothing gets past you, detective,” Celestia said with a smile, before her tone turned serious. “I called you here for a very particular reason,” she paused and waved a hoof dismissing her guards. She looked down at the little dragon, “Spike, please help Twilight get ready.”

Spike nodded and left with the other guards. I looked up at Celestia and asked, “Now what's really going on?”

“What I am about to tell you cannot leave this room, Private,” she said, her violet eye revealing her seriousness. “A threat was made against one of the monarchs.”

“Which one exactly?” I said, my brain going into detective mode.

“Prince Ember,” Celestia said gravely, “about two weeks ago a threat letter arrived against him.”

“I thought he was popular among his people?” I pointed out.

“Just because one is popular doesn’t mean he’s liked by everypony,” she said sagely. “Anyway, the reason I brought you here is really in case anything goes wrong.”

“You want me to be on the lookout for this would be assassin?” I concluded.

“Correct, I hope it is only my mind becoming paranoid these past few years, but I cannot make it look as if Equestria cannot handle her own problems.”

“This summit,” I said slowly, “you want to make it seem like you have everything under control. Just who called this summit in the first place?”

“King Onyx,” Celestia explained. “He claims that this is merely a get together and a way to provide aid should I need it. The fact of the matter is this all seems too suspicious. He was awfully vague about his reasons for calling it exactly.”

“Why tell me this?” I asked “Why not Twilight or Shining Armor?”

“I already explained to Shining Armor,” she said, looked out a window. “Twilight is here for something else.”

“What exactly?” I asked suspiciously.

“I already informed her, I wasn’t sure if she would tell you,” Celestia said, as I walked to her side, “but I’ve felt a strange magic in the air, can you feel it?”

“I’m not exactly magically adept your highness,” I explained.

“Close your eyes, and let your magic do the rest,” Celestia commanded me, her own horn glowing.

I closed my eyes and saw the biggest pair of red eyes!

I yelped and fell back on my haunches, “What was that?”

“Is everything all right, Private?” Celestia asked, concerned. “What did you see?”

“Red eyes,” I explained, “like those a dragon would have.”

Celestia’s violet eyes grew wide, but then she shook her head as if dismissing a thought, “Forgive me, I did not mean to subject you to something like that. I’m guessing you got a clearer picture somehow.”

It was weird, those eyes, they looked like the ones that belonged to that Alicorn that gave me the Element of Tenacity. I’ve never head of an Alicorn like him before. He seemed almost familiar some-

Screech!

I jumped ten feet in the air and fell to the ground. I looked up and saw a phoenix in front of me making laughter like chirps.

Celestia looked at the phoenix scolding, “Philomena, still the same old troublemaker it seems.” So this was the infamous Philomena. Fluttershy told me about how much trouble this phoenix can be.

The phoenix however didn’t fly to Celestia. Instead she flew onto my extended foreleg and began nuzzling me on the cheek. “Hey there, you certainly seem friendly.”

“Forgive Philomena,” Celestia said, with a small laugh. “She does have a nasty habit of causing trouble for others, though I don’t think I’ve ever seen her take to a pony so well before.”

“She’s certainly the affectionate type,” I said, as Philomena flew off me and onto Celestia’s foreleg, for some reason the phoenix seemed disappointed to leave me.

I dismissed the thought and bowed, “If you’ll excuse me Your Highness, I have to make sure your faithful student doesn’t have another mental breakdown.”

I walked out, that same expression came to Celestia’s face, it was like she was sad to see me go.

This was too weird…

________________________________________________________________

“I definitely felt that weird magic.” Twilight said, as she looked up from her books. “It was not like any magic I've felt before.”

“What was weird about it?” Spike asked, handing Twilight another scroll. “Isn’t magic the same no matter who casts it?”

“Not exactly,” Twilight said, going into lecture mode. “Everypony’s magic is a little bit different. Different frequencies can result in different forms of magic. It’s like how music is various vibrations made to create a sound, the spell. Only this was different. Like comparing our magic to a soft harp and this magic to a big bass drum.”

“Did you see a pair of red eyes?” I asked.

“What are you talking about, Private?” Twilight asked nervously. “Did you see something?”

“Maybe I'm just being paranoid” I said, shaking my head “The monarchs are going to arrive soon, we should get ready.”

____________________________________________________

I stood in the throne room next to Shining Armor, in the formal attire I'd been given for the royal arrival. Celestia and Luna sat on their respective thrones. Luna casting the occasional glance at her sister. The room was filled with various Canterlot nobles. My dad wasn’t among them; he was spending time with Tailspin back home. I hoped they’d be all right while I was gone.

“Hey Private, you okay?” Shining Armor asked. “You don’t look so good.”

“Sorry,” I replied, “just thinking about home.”

“Me too,” he said. “Cadence wanted to come along, but with the foal coming she has to stay home.” he sighed, “I worry about her sometimes.”

“Hey, she’ll be fine,” I reassured him. “We just have to get through a bunch of nobles bickering, and then we can all go home. What could possibly go wrong?”

“Sadly it won’t be that simple,” Shining said, rolling his blue eyes. “The royals are actually going to be staying for the next couple of days.”

I sighed, I’d have to call dad and tell him that. I looked up at Twilight who was clad in a very beautiful blue dress. Her mane was tied back out of the way, as she checked things off her checklist, even doing that I found myself captivated by her…

I felt a nudge in my ribs and looked at Shining. His expression reminded me of the several times I’ve seen him fight. I was careful not to stare at his sister while he was present from then on.

Just then a scarlet coated earth pony entered the room. He was unlike your typical earth pony, however. His mane moved and danced as if it were actually aflame. It wasn’t but the effect was something to behold. He wore a strange black necklace around his neck as well as his formal attire. He cleared his throat and unfurled a scroll, he must be the herald.

“Announcing the arrival of Royal Highnesses, King Onyx and Prince Ember!”

Ponies all stomped as a tall and regal looking Alicorn entered. His coat was the color of a flame and his mane moved like it was aflame as well. His chest showed black regalia that matched his crown. His smile seemed friendly, as his yellow eyes scanned the room.

An Alicorn about the same size as Cadence or Luna followed behind the king. This was the first time I’ve seen a male Alicorn of that size. He didn’t look much different from his father, except his mane and coat were bright yellow instead of scarlet.

Both walked to the Princesses and bowed their heads in respect. Celestia and Luna bowed their heads in turn. The father and son sat off to the side as another herald came out. This one was a green earth pony with rather skinny legs. His head was adorned by a set of antlers instead of a horn. So this must be the elusive deer tribe of ponies.

He showed little emotion as he made his announcement, “Announcing the arrival of King Oberon and Queen Titania.”

The pair of Alicorns that entered sported very interesting features. Instead of feathered wings they both had wings like those on a butterfly. Oberon, was a proud, tall Alicorn with a green coat, deep blue eyes, and antlers on his head as well. Beside him was Titania, she had a white coat and a long green mane with several flowers tied in it. She didn't have antlers, just a horn like any normal Alicorn. I guessed the antler thing was reserved for males.

Unlike Onyx, who at least seemed friendly, I got an air of arrogance off the pair. They certainly didn’t want to be here by the looks of it. For some reason I got the vibe they didn’t even want to be in the same room with each other.

I really gotta stop playing match maker with everypony I see.

A third herald came in, this time a normal Pegasus with the exception of his body being covered by strange tattoos, “Announcing the great and awesome Thor, here to grace you all with his absolutely radical presence!”

The Alicorn that entered was large, even by Celestia’s standard. He was dark blue, with a long black mane that seemed to move like a storm cloud waiting to burst. His wings were the most prominent feature on his body. Easily twice the size of any normal Alicorn’s and could probably cover any pony in this room with them.

He laughed heartily as he came to Celestia, “It's been far too long, Celestia! You should make get-togethers like this more frequent!”

“Always a pleasure, Thor,” Celestia said, with a smile. “It seems you haven't changed since we saw each other last,” she laughed. “I believe that was when you tried to emulate Luna’s lightning cloud prank on your own subjects.”

Thor chuckled good-naturedly, “Sometimes I get a little carried away, what can I say? Anyway, now that we are all here, we can begin.”

The nobles all began to talk excitedly as the Royals ventured to another room. I followed beside Shining Armor and listened to Celestia talking to the fire king.

“How long has it been Celestia?” Onyx asked.

“About a year, Onyx,” Celestia said, as they fell in beside each other. “I did find it odd that you called this meeting so suddenly.”

“Your land is greatly troubled, Celestia,” Onyx pointed out. “You will need allies, should it continue.”

I watched him move closer to Celestia, for some reason it made me want to throttle this guy.

I can’t explain it, but as he was about to touch Celestia’s side I saw a pair of red eyes flash before me and Onyx backed off. He looked at her nervously, and then kept on walking. Celestia didn’t seem to notice what happened. She just moved up to talk with the deer ponies.

Then Luna fell back beside me and whispered, “Private, pray tell, can you figure what is wrong with Prince Ember?”

I looked forward at the young prince. He kept casting glances back at Luna and then looking forward hoping she hadn't noticed. I grinned at Princess Luna and said teasingly, “It seems you have gotten his attention, Luna.”

Understanding hit Luna’s teal eyes and blush formed on her cheeks. She shook her head and looked away from Ember. The poor prince drooped his ears at the apparent rejection, and I gave Luna a look, “What’s wrong?”

“He has been sending us letters nonstop since our return,” Luna complained. “I find it annoying, but he seems so insistent on meeting us.”

“You don’t return his affections?” I asked

Luna’s eyes closed for a minute “It’s hard to forget seeing our love run into the forelegs of another.”

I knew she was talking about Nocturne, my ancestor whom she was in love with before the banishment. Nocturne however, went into the arms of Marigold after Luna’s transformation into Nightmare Moon. I’m guessing she has a hard time opening up to the prospect of romance in this day and age.

The guards broke off to lead the monarchs to the rooms they would be staying in. Ember cast a glance towards Luna before following his father. Luna subsequently ignored it, and headed to her tower to raise the moon for the night.

I walked over to Twilight who sighed with relief as everypony went to their rooms. “The talks will begin tomorrow after everypony has gotten some rest,” she explained to me. “Spike is helping the servants prepare the castle for tomorrow.”

“You should get some rest too” I said, smiling at her lovingly. “You’ve worked yourself to the bone getting this thing organized.”

“Thanks, Private. I’ll see you in the morning.” She laid a kiss on my cheek and then yawned.

“Night,” I said, as she went towards her room. I was walking down the hall towards my room when I rounded a corner and bumped into Prince Ember himself.

“Sorry!” he said, as I climbed to my hooves. “I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

“Forgive me, Your Highness,” I said, bowing my head. “I was thinking of something else.”

Ember smiled, he certainly seemed friendly enough, “You are the one Luna was speaking with, who are you, exactly?”

“Detective Private Eye,” I said. “Luna and I are just friends.”

“You’re the one Celestia said was the Element of Tenacity,” he said excitedly. “I’ve read about your victory against Discord. It must have been quite a thing to behold.”

“You flatter me, Your Highness,” I smiled. “Though I must ask, what are you doing up at this hour?”

“I was hoping to apologize to Princess Luna,” Ember said, with a defeated sigh. “I was so stupid earlier, but I had not seen her in so long! She’s,” he paused, a blush coming to his cheeks, “grown well.”

“A lot has happened to her in the last few years,” I explained. “I’m sure she’ll come around though,” I reassured the prince. “You just have to give her some time.”

“Thank you, Private,” Ember said, looking a little reassured. “I hope that I can earn her affection in our time here.”

“Your Highness, forgive me for my boldness,” I said politely, “but Celestia told me of a threat against your life.”

“Indeed,” he replied, closing his eyes. He swallowed nervously “The threat said that I would lose my life because of my father’s advancements towards Princess Celestia.”

For some reason the very thought of Onyx getting anywhere near Celestia made my blood boil. I shook my head, what was that all about? “Your father likes Celestia?”

“Has for several centuries,” Ember explained. “After my mother died he sought Celestia’s hoof for many years. However, she has constantly rebuffed him at every turn.”

“So your father thinks some jealous lover is telling him to back off or I’ll kill your kid?” I concluded.

“Yes, in a manner of speaking,” Ember explained. “I only pray it is an empty threat.”

“Don’t worry, Prince,” I said with a smile. “Shining Armor and I will make sure your stay here is comfortable and safe.”

“Thank you, Detective,” Ember turned. “Now, I must speak with Luna.”

“You’ll find her room that way,” I said pointing down the hall. “Though be careful, you might be assaulted when you get there”

“By what exactly?” Ember asked nervously.

“The most protective group of ten year olds you’ll ever meet.”

________________________________________________________

Perspective: Celestia

I sat on my bed and read the current friendship report in front of me. It seems that the Cutie Mark Crusaders were having some bully trouble with Babs Seed. It was nice to read how they helped her become accepted in the end. I can't wait until they all find their special talents.

I heard a knock on my door, “Come in!”

A solar stallion entered and saluted, “King Onyx requests your presence in his chambers Your Highness.”

“Tell him I’m feeling tired tonight and am in dire need of beauty sleep,” I winked at the guard and he nodded. That would keep Onyx off me for one night.

He will never give up it seems. He knows exactly why I cannot accept him. Why I will not accept him as my somepony.

Tia,

If only he would listen, maybe that’s why he came.

Tia,

Wait, what was that?

Tia, my love…

It can’t be!

I stood up, my horn was glowing, ready to fire any spell I could need. I felt it! I definitely felt that magic again!

It just…

No, your mind is playing with you, Tia.

You saw what happened.

You’re just clinging to false hope.

It’s been fifteen hundred years.

Why hope anymore?

______________________________________________________________

Perspective:???

Discord crawled on all fours as he made his way through the Everfree Forest. He muttered curses to himself.

They didn’t seal him in stone, but that didn’t matter.

His powers were all but gone. It would take years to recover to even half of his strength. The Lord of Chaos was stripped to that of a mere bloodied creature crawling in the dirt and grass. It wouldn’t be long before the ponies found him.

Luckily, I found him first.

He looked up at me and his eyes grew wide, “No! No, my seal!”

“Miss me Discord?” I asked, with a small smile.

“I sealed you for fifteen hundred years!” Discord shouted, pointing at me. “You can’t be free!”

“Well, I did get a little tired of being locked away all that time,” I said, with a smirk. “You look like you’ve been through hell.”

“I’ll send you straight to hell, where you and all the other Alicorns belong!” He held up a paw hoping to cast a spell, but all that came out were small sparks, which fell harmlessly to the ground. “My magic!” he cried.

“It seems Tenacity has done his job,” I said, walking slowly towards him.

His eyes grew wide in fear as I approached, “Voidera, buddy! Look, I know you may be upset about the whole trying to kill you and Celestia thing. You may also be sore about the whole kidnapping Luna business, but water under the bridge, right?”

“Reduced to begging it seems,” I snarled, my red eyes narrowing. “Is this really how far you’ve fallen?”

“You, you aren’t going to kill me are you?” Discord asked, backing into a tree “I know you! You don’t kill because you don’t want any more blood on your hooves! You won’t kill me your ole buddy Discord will you?” he whined, sweat showing on his fur.

“No, Discord,” I said, with a low growl. “I’m not like you.”

“Oh, thank you!” he cried in joy. “I knew you were merciful, Voidera!” He then began to bow and was prepared to kiss my white shoed hooves before I pulled them away “Yeah, never really understood that tradition, anyway.”

I just held my red eyed gaze on him

“So um,” Discord said awkwardly, tapping his fingers together, “How can I make it up to you for not brutally murdering me?”

….”Run…”

“What…?” He said as recognition of his own words came to him

“Run away, little Discord,” I said , with cold red eyes. “Run away, and never return to this place.”

“Yes,” he said, as he started to walk slowly around me. “I will leave, you dragon-spawned bastard!” He summoned a dagger and tried to stab me in the back. I conjured my own blade, blocking it. My black horn glowed bright red as I blasted him in the chest with a bolt of magic.

He fell back, dropping his dagger. It fizzled out of existence upon contact with the ground. I put a hoof on his chest, pinning him down.

“Remember, Discord,” My eyes glowed red; “I tried to be civil.”

Discord was hit by the full power of my magic. In his weakened state it was easy to banish him from this world. He flew into the stars in a column of red light.

It’s better that they think Discord truly gone forever, for he would not return now that I’m back, and my charge renewed.

I looked towards the night sky above me. The sun would not be up for several hours.

Tia, I wonder if you would even recognize me now…