• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 2,857 Views, 55 Comments

The Worst Hearts and Hooves Day Ever - super3rainbow1



Short Flutterdash story taking place a week before Hearts and Hooves Day

  • ...
7
 55
 2,857

The Day Before

Rainbow Dash never had to be this organized before. She had spent her time yesterday planning for tomorrow. She was very frustrated with how long it took. She almost was ready for Hearts and Hooves Day.

She went through her belongings to find that she only had one dress. That one dress was the one which she wore at the gala and the wedding. It was stored away in poor condition. There was dirt and dust on it. Rainbow Dash picked up the cloth and examined it further. There was a noticeable rip that caught her eyes.

She sighed. This meant that she had to pay a visit to Rarity's boutique. Rarity didn't exactly have the same interests as her and they didn't always see eye-to-eye to each other. However, she always seemed to be understanding and was willing to help out.

Rainbow Dash put her gala outfit in a box and set out for Carousal Boutique. She stopped for a minute before walking in. Rarity did help her overcome her insecurity. She probably would love to help out again with relationship advice. Rainbow Dash pushed the door open and walked in.

Rarity turned around to see who just walked in. She had a look of surprise when she saw that it was Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash set the box containing her gala outfit on the floor.

"Oh Rainbow Dash, I didn't expect to see you coming here," Rarity said.

"Yeah umm.. could you like fix up my gala dress?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"You're not thinking about wearing that for Hearts and Hooves Day are you?

"I am," she replied.

"Are you sure that you want to wear this for Fluttershy?" Rarity asked.

"Yes, I really liked it and I think that she likes it too."

Rarity groaned and levitated the box with her horn. She moved it into her "inspiration room" and emptied its contents. Rainbow Dash followed her in the room. She saw something that caught her eyes. Fluttershy's gala dress was also there on a table.

"I can't believe this," Rarity whined. "First, Twilight and Fluttershy want their gala dresses cleaned and now you!"

"Fluttershy was here?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Yes, she and Twilight came here earlier this morning," Rarity said.

Rarity went to work, cleaning the head piece with soapy water. Rainbow Dash just leaned back and watched. She was surprised to find herself unwilling to leave just yet. She needed to get something off her chest.

"Rarity?" she asked.

Rarity glanced over her shoulder for a second. "Oh I thought you left already," she said. "Is there something that you want, Rainbow Dash?"

"I kind of wanted to ask you for your opinion," Rainbow Dash said.

"Of what?" she asked.

"Uhh.. do you think I make a good marefriend for Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash said in a quieter voice.

Rarity turned around to face Rainbow Dash. "Of course you do!" she exclaimed. "Why wouldn't you think so?"

"I just wanted to make sure," Rainbow Dash explained.

"Have you heard the way that dear speaks of you? Clearly, she likes you a lot," Rarity said.

"Really?" she asked?

"Yes, I think you two are perfect for each other!"

Rainbow Dash stood up. "That's awesome! I can't wait for tomorrow!" she exclaimed.

Rarity smiled and picked up the dress with her magic. It looked like it was going to need a lot of work. As much as she liked having company, she needed time alone to get all her work done.

"Why don't you see what the others are up to?" Rarity asked. "You can come back later for your dress," she added.

"That's a great idea!" she said. Rainbow Dash went up to Rarity and did something she rarely did for ponies. She gave her a quick hug in appreciation of her help so far.

"Uh.. thanks for all the help you've given me this week," she said.

"It's no problem, Rainbow Dash. I must get back to work though," Rarity said.

Rainbow Dash left without saying another word. She didn't plan on hanging out with her other friends but it seemed like a pretty good idea. She decided to visit Applejack first. She was feeling a little hungry and maybe if she helped Applejack, she would provide her with lunch in exchange.

She hovered over Sweet Apple Acres and scanned for her friend. She spotted Applejack bucking and dashed over to her. The cowpony stopped to greet her.

"Howdy, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack cheerfully greeted.

"Hey, AJ. Uhh.. do you want any help?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Applejack gave her a puzzled look. "Help?" she asked. "I've almost finished all ma work fer the day."

Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head. "Oh.. you wouldn't mind if I hang around with you for a while and talk?" she asked.

"Of course not, sugarcube!"

Applejack picked up her saddlebag that had been lying on the ground. Inside it Rainbow Dash could see fresh green apples in it. They looked really tasty to her. They both walked together towards the house. Normally, Rainbow Dash would have been flying in the air slightly above her.

"How come ya ain't acting like yourself these days?" Applejack asked.

"What do you mean?" Rainbow Dash replied.

"Ever since a few days before ya got with Fluttershy, ya'll been acting.. differently. Even after ya told us all yer dating the mare, you've seemed different," she explained.

Rainbow Dash sighed. It seemed to make Applejack even more concerned. She stopped Rainbow Dash and rested a hoof on her shoulder.

"Come on. I'm yer friend. Ya'll can tell me anything," Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash lowered her head a little. "Before I had told you guys we were dating, I was trying to decide if I was ready to let Fluttershy know how I feel. I never had been in a relationship and I was tired of being single." She paused for minute. "Fluttershy was the first pony that I had a crush on. I never did anything about it and eventually in flight school, I ignored it. Weeks ago, I was getting tired of hiding my feelings but I just never could talk to somepony about them." she explained.

Applejack had Rainbow Dash in a tight hug. Rainbow Dash was done talking. "I understand, sugarcube. It's hard for somepony like you to express yer feelings, especially those for a mare," Applejack said.

"Thank you," she finally replied after a minute.

Applejack let go of her. "C'mon, I'll make lunch fer us both," Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash helped her a little with making lunch. They both continued to talk about other things like the weather and upcoming plans to hang out with their friends. Rainbow Dash was glad she had stopped by. She left with a quick goodbye. Having a stomach full of Applejacks delicious country style cooking felt great. She felt pretty tired though.

Suddenly, a very familiar voice from behind called her name. Rainbow Dash turned around to see her marefriend meekly smiling at her. Rainbow Dash gave her a quick hug and a little peck on the check. Luckily for Rainbow Dash, they weren't in public so Fluttershy didn't mind it. The sweet pegasus blushed and shyly moved her foreleg.

"Hey," Rainbow Dash said.

"Hi," Fluttershy softly said.

"What are you up to?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Fluttershy scratched at the ground a little. "Well I figured that since you really like to take naps in the afternoon, I um.. wanted to ask you if you.. well.. wanted to nap with me," she said and blushed again.

Rainbow Dash couldn't help but blush too. This was another chance to snuggle up with the cutest, kindest, and softest mare.

"Of course! Uh.. you wouldn't mind if we uh.. cuddled on a cloud would you?" she asked. She blushed even more when she said 'cuddled'. Fluttershy did too. Rainbow Dash felt embarrassed to say that word.

"As long as we can't be seen by.. other ponies," Fluttershy nervously said after a minute.

"Of course!"

Rainbow Dash left in search for a cloud of the right size. She came back with a large one. She dragged it around until it was where ponies on the ground couldn't see them on it. Rainbow Dash laid down and stretched out. Fluttershy did the same thing right next to her. They both had their hooves around each other in a warm embrace. Rainbow Dash was the first to fall asleep. She had a small smile on her face.

When they both woke up it was starting to get dark. They both stared at each other for minute and then Rainbow Dash brought her lips to Fluttershy's face. She kissed back and they both blushed. It was brief again but Rainbow Dash didn't seem to mind. They both got up and looked around.

"I think I should be going. The animals are probably hungry now," Fluttershy said.

"Oh yeah.. I guess so," Rainbow Dash said.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah! I got so much planned for us, Flutters!" she replied, suddenly excited.

"Aww.. you didn't have to do that, Rainbow Dash!"

"You're an awesome marefriend! Of course I had to!"

"Well.. uh thanks, Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy said. She had a bright smile on her face.

"Don't worry, Fluttershy. Tomorrow is going to be the Best Hearts and Hooves Day Ever!"

Rainbow Dash waved goodbye to Fluttershy who left in a hurry. She felt like she had been telling herself not to worry. She still had time to visit Twilight and Pinkie Pie.

When she arrived at Sugarcube Corner, she found that it had been closed since the morning. Pinkie Pie most likely had been spending the day decorating and what not. Rainbow Dash thought for a minute. There wasn't really anything else she needed. She didn't have any makeup or stuff like that though.

Something popped up in her mind from the word 'makeup'. She was supposed to pick up her gala outfit from Rarity. Quickly, she flew over to Carousal Boutique to see that it was still open. Rarity gave her outfit back in a clear plastic bag. It seemed to look so much better now. Rarity had been so tired with all the work, she didn't say much to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash left with the bag containing her fixed up gala outfit. She was on her way home to spend the rest of the day alone. She suddenly stopped when she remembered that she forgot to ask for makeup. She didn't want to bother Rarity. She looked tired enough.

She left her dress at home and came back to make a quick stop at Twilight's house. Twilight seemed like a pony who uses makeup from time to time. Rainbow Dash knocked and the unicorn came swiftly to the door.

"Oh hey, Rainbow Dash," Twilight greeted.

"Hey! Uh.. you wouldn't mind if I use some your makeup tomorrow? Right? I don't have any at home cause I really don't use it," Rainbow Dash said.

"Oh, of course not! I can also help you get ready in the morning," she offered.

"Sure, why not," Rainbow Dash replied. She would have preferred going to Rarity for this kind of thing but she quickly realized that Fluttershy would be there too. Rainbow Dash took this like a wedding. She didn't want Fluttershy to see her when she was getting ready.

"Great! Try to be here early for a change!" Twilight said and closed the door.

Rainbow Dash got back home feeling a little overwhelmed. She felt pretty excited for tomorrow. She was also worried and nervous. She might have had everything planned out but things could change. Fluttershy was a beautiful and graceful mare that Rainbow Dash felt deserved only the kindest and most gentle marefriend. Fluttershy deserved the very best day tomorrow. Rainbow Dash was determined to make tomorrow the very best day.