• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 8,923 Views, 168 Comments

Star Dust - Juu50x



Twilight recieves rather late invitation from Princess Celestia for the first "Winter Solstice" celebration for Princess Luna. And while staying there, something is going to change her life...

  • ...
19
 168
 8,923

Chapter 8 - Slumber Party 101

Star Dust

Chapter 8
Slumber Party 101

The next morning went on smoother than yesterday for Star, mostly because she didn't suffer from a horrible headache. After a good and simple breakfast, the two unicorns headed towards Sweet Apple Acres where Applejack was with her siblings clearing away the snow around their yard.

“Howdy Twilight. Heya Star,” Applejack greeted both of them.

“Hey AJ. I see that you have your hooves full,” Twilight greeted her friend back.

“We sure do,” Applejack replied, pushing her snowplow forward a bit more before turning back to Twilight. “We still need to clean the rest of the yard an' after that the darn roofs. And by the way, thanks Star for taking care of Applebloom an' her friends.

“The last pony that was good with mah sister an' her friends was Fluttershy.” She chuckled at the memory. “And ya certainly gave Rarity something to think.” Now Applejack left out a quick laugh. “She still wonders how almost everypony else can deal with the Crusaders, while she still has problems with that.” Star felt her cheeks blush whilst an embarrassed smile formed on her face.

“It was no problem,” Star replied, feeling the same as with Rarity yesterday. “It took some time and patience...” she said, still feeling the small blush on her cheeks.

“Well, that's good to know that even Star can be good with younger fillies,” Twilight added amusingly, which caused Star to blush more. “But why are you exactly working this time Applejack?” Twilight then asked. “You said you were going to show Star around the Apple Farm.”

“Gee whiz Twilight, 'am mighty sorry about that,” Applejack apologized. “But Rainbow just came to me little while ago an' told me that they are going to make a big snow storm for this evening,” she started to explain. “So we need to clean the snow away so we won't be trapped here and in case that darn snow becomes too heavy and the roof might give in.”

Twilight and Star nodded, understanding what Applejack was saying, but Twilight couldn't help but express some disappointment that her plans had once again gone completely south. Now it was becoming rather stressful for her. “No, keep it calm. No need to stress over such little thing!” Twilight thought to herself.

“Well, can we help you then?” Star asked, seeing that Twilight was becoming bit wary of this situation. “With our help, you no doubt can finish this work faster. Right?”

“Hmmm... yeah, Ah guess that could work,” Applejack said thoughtfully. “And then Ah could show ya around Star, so ya won't get lost once all the snow melts,” she joked, to which Star replied with a short, awkward laugh.

“Well then, what you say if get to working then Star?” Twilight turned to Star, who also turned to look at Twilight.

“I guess,” she said less awkwardly while giving a genuine smile. With that, the two unicorns began to work.

As all three of them had guessed, with the help of two unicorns, the work was done faster with the help of magic. While this all was happening, Twilight eyed rather interested at Star’s magical aura. It wasn't your typical almost see-through aura, but more like a small dark blue cloud with stars attached to it's surface; just like her Cutie Mark.

And Granny had taken a great liking to Twilight and her new friend helping them out. “You, young lady, certainly take me back in time when the first unicorns came to our little ol' town,” Granny started, looking at Star.. “An' in fact, she looked exactly like you, or was it her mother? Or did she looked anythin' like ya at all?” Granny started slowly to mumble to herself.

“Bu' aaaaanyway-”

“Uh, Ah think that can be a story for another time. Don't ya agree Granny?” Applejack quickly interrupted her grandmother, knowing they would be spending the rest of the day waiting for Granny to remember every single detail.

“Oh don't worry Applejack, it's now coming to me...” Granny then said, to which Applejack let out a quiet sigh. “Ooh yes! Spell Sword! That's what she was called! Or was it Spell Word...” Granny mumbled again. “Well, that was the name she carried when she was part of Royal Guard, at least that's what Ah've heard...”

That got both Twilight's and Stars attention. “Is that true AJ?” Twilight said turning to her friend.

“Yeah,” Applejack replied. “Granny explained that she had left the Guard because she wanted to have a family life with her husband, who was...” Applejack then trailed off when realizing that she was telling Granny's story. “Eh, sorry Granny.” Applejack said sheepishly, “ya can take care the rest.”

Granny then made a short cough before continuing. “Yes, that's true. And that husband of hers wasn't a bad one either. But, he seemed to have way too much interest in his, eeer... research about some ol' weird monkey-things...”

Twilight gave a rather shocked glance at Applejack who just gave her a large grin. Star on the other hand just looked cluelessly between the two, not understanding what they meant, but no doubt knew what Granny had meant.

But Star had to agree that she found this story rather interesting. She already had learned the basic history of Ponyville, but never really heard anything about it before it became the town it is today.

After a rather long story time, that Applejack had to interrupt again, Twilight and Star finally were able to leave Sweet Apple Acres. “Well, that was rather... insightful,” Star finally said once they had enough distance with the Apple farm.

“Yes. I have to agree,” Twilight replied.

“I take it you never heard about that story,” Star then said, turning to look at Twilight., who in turn gave Star a puzzled look. “I mean, the way you reacted towards it,” she then quickly corrected herself.

“Yeah, you could say that,” Twilight said, turning her gaze back to the road. “But then again, I'm not an Apple and Granny Smith isn't my grandparent.” Twilight chuckled. “And to tell you the truth, I've never really thought about asking her.” A short silence followed. “Well... not that many times, or simply asking Applejack to ask her...” she then admitted, embarrassed, to which Star gave out a short “Hah.”, which caused Twilight’s cheeks to became bit warmer.

“And what was that look between you and Applejack when Granny told you about this Spell Sword’s husband?”

“Weeell, it seems that certain unicorn around here has... same interest about said subject…,” Twilight said awkwardly. “It is rather... sensitive information.” Star nodded, understanding, deciding not to ask any further questions. Either way, she would find out about this. Hopefully.

“So, we are now heading towards Fluttershy's place, right?” Star asked, deciding to change the subject.

“Yes,” Twilight answered, but then looked at the sky, noticing that there were more clouds when they had come to visit Applejack. “I believe so, but it is going to be a short visit,” Twilight said, tilting her head at the sky.

Star looked up, realizing what Twilight had meant, but didn't like the disappointed tone that Twilight had used. The two of them quickened their pace a bit as they walked towards Fluttershy's cottage.



“It was nice having you here Twilight. And, it was also very meeting you Star,” Fluttershy thanked the two of them as they put their clothes back on.

It had been a rather interesting surprise how quickly Fluttershy befriended with Star, although she already knew the other unicorn, and not having her shy all the time. Although it didn't start off nicely when many of the animals seemed to avoid Star at all cost. And that was rather strange as Fluttershy's critters almost never behaved like this around any other ponies. But things thankfully changed when the little critters quickly seemed to get used to Star’s presence.

“No problem, Fluttershy,” Twilight replied. “Too bad couldn't stay for too long.” She looked at the sky, which had become darker and already small snowflakes were slowly falling down.

“It’s no trouble Twilight, and try, if you could, to not get too troubled by this,” Fluttershy then said. “... if you don't me saying something like that...” Fluttershy muttered the last part really quietly.

“I... I’ll try, Fluttershy,” Twilight said awkwardly and embarrassed as Fluttershy seemed to already know how she was already feeling about this situation.

And she couldn't help it as she had already planned many things for them. There was still more of Ponyville that had to be shown, as well as fully introducing Star to “Bon Bon’s Sweets”. After that Twilight would have showed Star the pond where everypony usually went for some ice skating, although after her first Winter Wrap Up day she wasn't thrilled about the thought.

But it would be good to make Star more acquainted with the town. And then maybe... “Twilight!” Twilight then suddenly heard somepony calling her name behind her.

“Are you coming or what?” she heard Star’s voice ask, and she realized that she hadn't moved at all and was still staring at Fluttershy's cottage door.

“Aaah... yes!” she replied quickly, turning away from the door. “Just... lost in thought. That's all!” she said hurriedly.

“Are you sure?” Star asked, not exactly believing that was the complete truth.

“Yes, I'm quite sure,” Twilight said a bit too cheerfully, but still controlling herself. “But we should get back to library before it gets too bad.” She pointed out at the weather, which was getting worse as the wind was now blowing quietly, but both of them could feel it's slow increase.

Star decided to drop the conversation for now, as Twilight seemed to be uncomfortable about the subject and whatever Fluttershy had said to her. She just had to be distracted by those critters that didn't hibernate that were in Fluttershy's care.

Next time I need to be bit more careful when it comes to the animals…” she pondered as she and Twilight were fastly walking back to the Library.



When they had finally reached the library, the weather had turned completely bad as the wind began blowing and throwing snow at them, making it hard to see what was in front of them. Twilight hurriedly opened the door and the two literally dived inside as Star closed the door behind them.

“Oh my!” Twilight gasped loudly. “Applejack wasn't kidding when she said there was going to be a big snow storm coming.” Twilight took a deep breath. Star nodded in agreement as she was a bit too cold to answer.

Even Rarity's jacket couldn't keep her warm from that blizzard. “Can-can we maybe start a fire?” Star asked, with a hoarse voice.

“Of course we can,” Twilight said as she took her jacket off and shuddered a bit from the coolness of the Library. She quickly went for the fireplace and soon Star heard the familiar sound of fire burning the wood.

She slowly took her own jacket off and gave her own shudder. “I'm not used to this…” she mused, but she pushed that thought away as something else was bothering her. “Where is Spike anyway?” she asked as she stepped into the living room. “I thought that someone like Spike would have made sure that the Library would be extra warm.” she pointed out.

“Spike wanted to be away so we two could have some proper time together,” Twilight answered while sitting in front of the fireplace, putting a few more pieces of wood into the fireplace.

“Why would he do that?” Star asked, confused. “Isn't it his job to make sure that this Library is well taken care of while you are away on whatever errands you might have?” she asked as looking around the Library and waving her hoof, as if making a point.

“Yes,” Twilight casually answered. “But that doesn't count weekends and other times when this Library is closed,” she then explained. Star stared at Twilight, not really understanding what she had meant. Wasn't the baby dragon a sort of caretaker of this Library?

“And besides, I also thought it would good for him to be away from us for this night,” Twilight then said. “I just didn't know anything about this snow storm until it was too late...” she added sheepishly and Star gave her a humored smile.

“I guess you had some plans for this evening as well?” Star asked casually, looking at Twilight.

Twilight's expression quickly brightened. “Oh yes!” she replied brightly. “Well, truth to be told, I wasn't yet sure what to do for the evening,” Twilight started, sounding a bit embarrassed as she shrugged. “But then I thought about having, just the two of us, a slumber party!” she clapped her hooves together.

“A... slumber party?” Star repeated the word as if it was a question.

“Oh yes! I have such fond memories about this!” Twilight said pleasantly. “I remember when I first tried this with Rarity and Applejack. In fact...” Twilight pondered for a second. “That time we also happened to have an unfortunate storm and two of them were trapped here with me. And we then decided to have some fun together!”

“What you mean by “fun”?” Star asked seriously with a slightly raised hoof.

Twilight on the other hand looked like she was crazy. That made Star feel nervous and embarrassed.

“What so fun about slumbering?” Star asked, her tone now unsure. Her eyes were looking at anything else than Twilight. “If all you ever do, is... sleeping...” Star felt like she was becoming Fluttershy and was now wishing her mane was longer so she could hide under it.

For a moment Twilight didn't react to this, as her brain seemed to process what she had just heard. “...you're kidding,” she finally said in serious tone. “Right?” Now Star could feel her face burning bright red, and it wasn't because of the fireplace.

“I, uuuh... well... well... you see...” Star mumbled embarrassingly, feeling like she was digging herself deeper with every word.

“You were serious?” Twilight asked. Still her tone was the same, but there was something else there that Star couldn't put her hoof on. But she was too occupied of thinking about digging the deepest grave in Equestria's history and wanting to stay there forever.

“Y- you could say that...” Star mumbled more quietly, rubbing her hooves together.

Twilight just stared at Star as if meeting her for the first time. How could somepony not know what slumber party was? And now she was also thankful for not having Pinkie here because... she shuddered as she thought about it. But it still didn't change the fact that Star didn't seem to know what Twilight had really meant.

And that was just plain weird. But then a quick thought came to her. “Have you ever had a slumber party?” she then asked, a hint of worry in her voice.

At that Star lowered her head in sadness, as if embarrassed to say anything. “No...” she finally said. “My... uuh... mother was a bit isolated and wanted to keep me and my sister too,” Star then explained. Now her voice was finding some courage. “Until we reached the right age that is.”

Twilight was rather shocked to hear this. But the way she had been acting time to time, it kind of made some sense that her life had been rather sheltered. “Your mother doesn't exactly sound like the most friendliest of ponies,” Twilight suddenly spoke her thoughts out loud.

That earned a strange, and rather offended, look from Star. “I mean, the way you explain her!” Twilight quickly corrected herself. “That she was isolated and kept you and your sister also isolated!”

Star's expression softened at Twilight hasty explanation. “Don't worry Twilight, you didn't know,” Star said comfortingly, turning her look back to the fireplace. “But truth to be told, our mother was simply a bit too defensive about us,” Star explained softly. “But she was the most nicest and beloved mother we ever could have asked for.” Star's face wore a warm smile as she went on telling Twilight about her mother.

Twilight still felt embarrassed about her forwardness about Star’s mother as she seemed to be a completely different pony than she had thought. But thankfully Star didn't take it too personally, but the way she was talking about her mother was becoming a bit too personal, and she had seen this a couple times to know where this was going.

And we were suppose to have a nice evening!

While Twilight was worrying/thinking about this moment, she noticed that Star's soft expression had changed a little bit to a more sorrowful one. “... and she would sing us a certain lullaby that would “take us to the lands of enchantment” as the lyrics went.” As Star continued her story, she didn't seem to notice her eyes slowly moisturising as she seemed to be too focused on the memories of her mother.

Then Star’s voice broke her from her memories. “She sounded like a great mother.” Star the felt the purple unicorns hoof on her shoulders. She gazed at the hoof, then to Twilight’s face that had a sincere smile on her face.

“She certainly was,” Star said, her tone between happiness and sadness. She then noticed that her eyes were wetter than they were before. She quickly wiped her eyes her eyes. “Sorry, it seems I stared too long at the fireplace...” she said, sounding a bit absent.

“It's alright,” Twilight said, feeling that now would be a good time to make Star feel happier. “Well, would then like to have your first slumber party then?” she then asked, taking Star by surprise.

“You mean right now?” she asked, uncertain.

“Yes,” Twilight replied, still keeping her smile. “Although it is going to be bit different with less ponies, but the main thing about slumber parties is about to have a good time!” Twilight explained rather brightly. “In fact, I have the book right here!” she then went to the one of the shelves of the library.

But suddenly her bright smile turned into a thoughtful frown.

“Hmm... that's strange...” she said out loud. “I was pretty sure I put it here... No worries!” she then said to Star. “It seems I just misplaced it. That's all. Now worries...”

Star didn't feel any kind of assurance about the situation at hand, and same could be said about Twilight's almost trembling voice.

“No, no. That's not it. Maybe it's on the higher shelf. Nononono that can't be it. That's the slot for B...” Suddenly Twilight became completely quiet. “Unless...” she then sprinted to the other side of the room and took out a small pile of papers that had marked every book that has been borrowed from the library.

“No, it can't be. It would just be crazy...” Twilight continued her mumbling, not noticing that Star was standing behind her with a confused and worried expression as she went through the pages. “This can't be!” Twilight then cried out.

Star herself tried to take a peek, so she could see what got Twilight so upset. But, she couldn't see it as the text was too small for her.

“Somepony had actually rented that!? But who could it...”

“...”

“Lyra!?” That startled Star, who in the process jumped to the floor from Twilight's sudden outburst of disbelieve.

“Uuuh... what, what is the problem?” Star then carefully asked, slowly getting up.

“That Lyra seemed to have borrowed my own copy of 'Slumber 101: All You Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties But Were Afraid to Ask' even though I don't think she needs something like that!” Twilight exclaimed.

“There is a book about slumber parties?” Star asked, confused. It just seemed so out of place to her that there was a book for something so simple as slumber party. “What’s next, book for 'Equestria's Best Foal Sitter'?”Star tried to calm Twilight down. “I don't think it's that big of a problem,” she said calmly, but there was still some uncertainty in her tone.

Twilight looked at Star with a shocked expression. “But it had everything we needed to know about the slumber party!” Twilight complained as she dropped herself onto the floor. “And now I can't remember what we needed to do right!”

Star resisted an urge to roll her eyes and groan at the current situation, as she knew, from what Rarity had told her, that Twilight had from time to time a little breakdown if things weren't going the way she had planned them. And in a way, she felt bad for Twilight because of that.

Since she tried so hard to make sure that everyone had great time, even if it required her to go everything by the book. Or just wanted to make sure everything was just right. From what Rarity had explained her, it was probably because of the pressure of being the star pupil of the Princess.

Or she was like that from the beginning,” Star remembered what she had said to Rarity after that little bit of backstory humorously. But she now needed to deal with this moment, and knew what was needed.

“Are you sure you can't remember them?” Star then asked casually, adding bit comfort in tone too.

“Well, yes I remember them,” Twilight replied, still sounding stressed. “But I can't exactly remember the order and that's what is the problem! If I can't remember them in the right order, how can we have a good time!?” Twilight moaned, not realizing how her words didn't exactly made sense.

“Well, does the book tell you to follow it thoroughly?” Star then asked.

Twilights right ear twitched at the mentioning of that. “Well...” she says, sounding more embarrassed. “N-no. Not really...”

“I think we can survive this one time without the book, Twilight,” Star said, now daring to take few steps towards the lavender unicorn, who on the other hand was feeling even more embarrassed and rather humiliated.

This brought her back to the time when she had snapped, and pretty much had brought almost the entire Ponyville down with her, if it wasn't for Spike and Princess Celestia. “I guess I still have to learn more about that lesson…” she sighed out loud at her thoughts. And Star was right, there was no need to get over stressed by this.

They could still have fun, and could do all the things that were mentioned in the book. Well, not all of them since there were some parts you needed more than two ponies. But that wasn't important at the moment. “Yes, I think so,” Twilight finally answered. “And I'm... sorry about my behavior.” She rubbed her left shoulder in embarrassment. “I guess I still have some issues about letting some little things getting over my head...”

“It's alright Twilight,” Star comforted, putting her hoof on Twilight's shoulder. “We all can't exactly change who we are.” She smiled and actually liked the feeling of Twilight's hoof against hers. “So,” she then asked, taking her hoof off of Twilight's. “What sort activities does this “slumber party” has?” Star queried, sounding a bit too formal.

“Well... there was warming up some marshmallows over the fireplace, then there was mentioning of pillow fights, telling ghost stories...” As Twilight went on, she failed to notice Star's horn starting to glow dimly.

“... styling our manes, maybe a small game of spinning bottle, but that might not work as there are only two of us and we could...” Twilight stopped herself when finally realising that Stars horn was glowing and the dark unicorn wore a cocky grin. “Uuuh... Star? What are you doing?”

“EN GARDE!” Star exclaimed as two pillows dropped on both of her sides.

“What in the-” Twilight's question was cut short as one of the pillows was literally trying to slash itself at her, as if it was a sword. If you could call it that.

“You proclaimed that a pillow fight is part of this “slumber party” event. And so I shall challenge thee to a battle. With pillows.” Star “challenged” her in a serious, but still very comical tone.

To which Twilight just laughed loudly as she summoned her own pillows. “Then I shall accept thy challenge!” and with that she swung both of her pillows at Star.

Author's Note:

Well, here is the newest chapter and I hope you will all like it. And just letting you all also know that a cover for Star Dust is on the way. So far, the artist has informed me that backgrounds are all ready to go and all it needs are the characters. So hopefully this story will have it's own cover soon.

And sorry about the delay, as this chapter was originally suppose to be released about couple weeks ago, but my proof-readers had little problems of their own, so the release of the chapter had to be extend.
Oh and: I NEED A NEW PROOF-READER! If there is anyone who has some skills with Proof-Reading and all, let me know.

Well, that's all for now I guess. Till next time, THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!!!
...
...
PS: And now back to waiting Season 4... WHY ISN'T TIME MOVING FASTER!?