• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 8,923 Views, 168 Comments

Star Dust - Juu50x



Twilight recieves rather late invitation from Princess Celestia for the first "Winter Solstice" celebration for Princess Luna. And while staying there, something is going to change her life...

  • ...
19
 168
 8,923

Chapter 15 - Midnight Confessions

Star Dust

Chapter 15
Midnight Confessions

It was a late night at the Canterlot Castle. Most of its inhabitants were already asleep, save for a few of its guards. Despite the well-kept gardens and hallways so clean one could eat off of them, all was not well.

Quite the contrary. For the Lunar Princess, everything was just a mess. This whole ‘assumed identity’ plan was meant to be so simple, but she never thought about going so far as to actually make friends with Twilight and the other denizens of Ponyville. All I really needed was just sometime to see things a little bit more from the point of view of our subjects... Luna paced around the throne room.

Things just got out of hand when I met Vinyl and Octavia. They were so nice and I had so much fun with them…

Now Luna felt a horrible sinking feeling creeping into her stomach at her thoughts towards her first two friends.With Twilight and her friends providing such a distraction - a wonderful one, granted - the Lunar Princess realized she hadn’t seen her first two friends in some time. I need to see them more. But I need to sort these feelings out first! I need to understand my feelings towards Twilight...and I need to know how she feels about me.

Luna then started to take deep breaths, holding her hoof to her chest. Must keep calm and think this through. Next... here, Luna hesitated. I need to confront Celestia about this. If she even remembers to come here. Luna let out an amused grunt at the thought. No need to humor myself. Of course she would come if I asked. Always dependable, always punctual, always perfect Celestia.

Luna continued pacing around the throne room, so deep in her thoughts that she failed to notice Celestia finally entering, looking a bit haggard. “I'm here, Lulu. Was there something you needed?” Celestia asked between polite yawns.

Luna jumped at Celestia’s voice,rounding on her with a very unconvincing grin on her face. “Ah! Tia, you are here finally,” Luna said, calming herself. You need to be strong now. It’s not like she might tell you to leave her side when you tell her that you hold feelings for her star pupil. Or simply because it is a mare...

“Of course, dear sister, though I would like to know why.” She eyed Luna, noticing the way her little sister was rather jumpy and nervous. Celestia didn’t know for certain what might be the cause, though she could make a good guess. “Has this something to do with your time in Ponyville?” she asked inquisitively.

Just stay strong, Luna. Luna sighed before seating in front of Celestia. “You could say that,” she said awkwardly as she started to talk about her time at the village.



Many miles away in Ponyville, Twilight was having trouble sleeping. She had tried to find anything she could about the trolls and their large stone, but came up empty.

It reacted so sensitively towards magic. So much it could light and warm the place, and even could create some plant life, she thought in wonder. Then her thoughts had slowly turned towards the other enigma keeping her from a restful sleep. Then there is Star. Such concentration isn't easy for any unicorn. How she was able to help us the way she did?

Not many ponies, if anypony, should be able to know how the Elements work. Even Celestia and Luna never talk about them. What Star said was good guessing..too good to be just guessing. Slowly, her magic started to fade around her book as she tried to understand the situation better.

It was a good guess. Too good a guess. It should have only worked in theory! And yet, it did work. Why are you hiding so much, Star? With magical knowledge that complete, I should have met you during my studies at Canterlot, especially if you’re from there! Why are you making this so hard on you and me? Why are you still hiding yourself?

Twilight’s thoughts then went to the letter she had asked Celestia to send forward. If there is one pony who can find the pony you need in Canterlot, Golden Quill can do it. She still felt slightly guilty about going behind Star’s back in this fashion.

Twilight turned over in her bed. Had Star just talked to me, I wouldn’t need to go this far. Hopefully she will forgive me later.

Her mind then took her back to the time in the mountain with Star after activating that strange stone.



“Were those, feelings...were they really true?” she asked.

“You should know that, in that kind of state, it is not really easy to fake such emotions,” Star had replied. And there was something about the way she looked at her, when she spoke, that looked something, something she couldn't put her hoof on.

“What you felt...was real...and I meant everything with it.” Star was looking rather embarrassed, and maybe even flustered.



Why is this bothering me? Twilight wondered.

She decided to go to bed and get some sleep, hoping that it might help calm her mind. Said mind had other ideas, however. In direct opposition to her wishes, her mind went into overdrive and fixated on the night she spent with Star.

For most of the time after their talk, they had just leaned on each other. It felt just so... nice. I guess... but not the same kind of nice like with my friends. Like... like I could just stay there... with, her... and-

Twilight bolted up from her bed when her tired mind seemed to take her to a place that didn't happen. Twilight, stop thinking like that! There is no need to embarrass yourself any further with this. She punched her pillow in frustration before lying back on the smushed pillow with a huff. Sure it was nice to have Star so close. Her pillow-soft fur coat. That nicely colored and styled mane of hers, and her beautiful eyes and of course her muzzle that I just- STOP IT TWILIGHT!

She switched sides again and was now looking at the night sky. The full moon was shining its light onto the landscape, and with all the snow still on the ground, the night was more brighter. What's with these thoughts anyway? Maybe it is just how she and I have been so close to each other. And I just have been thinking about her bit more than usual... Twilight immediately blushed at the thought of that.

She let out a long sigh. Maybe this is just exhaustion and stress playing tricks on me. She turned again, and the shift in position heralded a shift in thinking. But, but could this be something different? Twilight pondered. This was making her head hurt again. She never had been good with socializing before meeting her other friends and she now feared that she was taking all of this in the wrong way.

I really need let this be for now. Maybe tomorrow, when I have time, I should look into these feelings, she decided. Try to see if there is something I might be overlooking. Now, I need some sleep. Maybe I should try and count the stars...

Twilight turned again and faced her window where she again saw the stars and the moon, and started counting. Every star she counted, she felt herself slowly getting tired. As she drifted closer to sleep with each passing star count, the more she also subconsciously thought about Star and her namesake Cutie Mark.

That flank certainly looked fine... were her last thoughts before falling asleep.




“I can't believe it...” Celestia said in disbelief. “They've lived so close to us all this time and I never knew.”

Luna eyed her sister when she had told her about the trolls, and saw a look of realization in her older sisters eye, proving the trolls story true.

Starting from the beginning had been somewhat easy for her and made her feel less awkward around Celestia. But she knew that she soon had to confront her sister about this and that was what still made her stomach twist a bit. Just stay strong Luna. You can do this.

“So it is true then,” she said. “You and those trolls have a long history?”

“Long in years only; the details could cover a pamphlet and no more,” Celestia replied thoughtfully. “I have always believed they left Equestria after the battle. The stories about the trolls were already spreading around, but after the battle they just became very popular among the unicorns,” she explained, pacing around the throne room.

“I see,” Luna replied.

“And then?” Celestia asked. “What happened when you realized they weren't a threat to you?”

Luna then went on telling Celestia about the stone Twilight had to re-activate, and how her friends joined in to help her. To unite their Elemental Magic, in hopes of activating the stone. “A Life Stone,” Celestia mused. “I thought they were all gone.”

“It seems this one had remained inside this mountain,” Luna replied. “Maybe that's why the trolls moved there?”

“It could be...” Celestia replied thoughtfully. “With the Stone providing for their needs, it is no wonder they have been able to hide for so long.”

“Are you going to do anything about it?” Luna asked a bit worried.

Celestia quickly gave Luna a comforting smile. “Nothing, if you fear that I'm going to punish them,” she said while walking towards Luna. “I think they have paid from their crimes. Everyone deserves a second chance, don't they Luna?” She smiled.

Luna nodded at Celestia’s comment, and felt embarrassed of even thinking something so ridiculous. Of course her sister would forgive them. “Of course Tia...” she said.

“But how did the Elements make use of their Elemental Magic without the Elements themselves?” Celestia then asked, suspiciously eyeing Luna. There it was. The question Luna hoped Celestia wouldn’t ask.

“I-I... I might have, helped them. A bit,” Luna said, her final words coming out as a whisper.Celestia looked at her with shocked surprise. The butterflies in Luna’s stomach seemed to have multiplied.

“Really?” she asked surprised. “You actually helped them with that?”

Luna was now feeling a hot blush creeping to her cheeks. “They seemed to have a lot of hard time trying to get it work and were already surrounded by rather suspecting trolls!” Luna hastily explained. “So I thought I would give them a little push.”

Celestia then raised a questioning brow, and Luna could already guess the question. “And I, I might had taken it bit too far. I influenced them a bit more.”

Celestia just stared. “But you should have felt what they were feeling and fearing! They couldn't have been able to pull it off without somepony giving them a little bit of instruction!”

Luna tried to control her tone. She failed miserably. “I did what I thought was best!”

“And was it for the best?” Celestia asked in calm, but still demanding tone.

“Yes,” Luna said, holding her ground. “I believe so.”

“But with that, you also did gave yourself up, didn't you?” Celestia asked. Her tone conveyed an understanding of the situation. “You have given them an idea that you, or Star Dust, are more than just a regular unicorn.” Luna shifted her hooves from the embarrassment and nervousness and looked sideways, away from Celestia.

“Not...exactly. But it’s all right! We were able to give the Stone the energy it needed. And now the six of them might better understand their Elements and how to use them,” she could still feel her tone faltering. I can't show sign of weakness now!

“The way you told it, I also think it was the right choice,” Celestia calmly said. “But you know what this also means.”Luna sighed loudly, clearly frustrated. Celestia let it pass without further commentary...for now.“So, what then happened after you recharged the Stone?” the elder sister asked.

“Well, the celebration continued...” Luna started, her tone getting a little awkward, and Celestia's ears perked up and she eyed Luna's body language. Which made her feel both curious and worried.

“And me Twilight had a... talk,” Luna struggled to find the right words. “About the situation.”

The comment Celestia off guard. “You actually told Twilight the truth?”

“Well, most, half of it. A half-truth.” Luna added awkwardly, to which Celestia tried her best not to facehoof. She held off her remarks for now as she was sure that wasn't the whole story. “And?” she pressed on.

“While sitting there, with Twilight...” Luna sighed. Here we go... “I... I... I might have some...feelings towards your student...Twilight Sparkle,” she finally said, feeling her face growing redder than the Hearth's Warming Tree decorations.

“Excuse me?” Celestia asked, confused. This wasn't what she exactly had expected to hear from Luna. “Could you repeat that?”

“You heard me!” Luna replied defensively. Celestia blinked. This, this is not what I really haven't expected...

“When did you realize that?” Celestia asked.

Luna turned her gaze to the one of the windows of the throne room, looking at the night sky and the moon. She sighed. “I guess from the moment when I poured my thoughts and feelings through the connection created by the Elements.”

“I went through the time I've spent with her. The times we laughed, talked, or were just sitting somewhere, enjoying each other’s company...” Luna shrugged. “I can't fully explain it.” Her gaze returned to Celestia, noticing that she had her pondering look.

That worried her slightly. No Luna! Keep calm, just calm yourself and wait. Tia won't be upset. That is good. You just need some help from her, to help you out with Twilight... Oh Moon that was strange to say...

“What did you talk about?” Celestia suddenly asked with a straight face and a serious tone.

“What?” Luna asked, confused, not knowing what exactly Celestia meant with that.

“What did you talk about with her?” Celestia asked, maintaining a stoic expression.

“Well, I have told her some bits of my life. Honest ones. But just slightly different, to, err, keep my identity a secret...” she added. Celestia nodded.

Luna found herself unsure what to say next under her sister’s stony silence. Just keep your cool Luna. Stay strong, your sister is no doubt just testing you!

“The times Twilight and I spent together have been the most happiest moments in my life,” Luna continued. “It has been so long since I've felt this free. Never, ever imagined I could feel something like this.”

Still nothing from Celestia. Luna continued to fill the vacuum of silence, if only to forestall the growing pit in her stomach.

“I- I really love spending more time with her, and learning more about her. Even if she’s a touch obsessive...it somehow works for her.” Luna then continued, hoping to get some kind of reaction from her sister. Still nothing. Luna was growing rather impatient at her sister’s stubborn refusal.

“And her friends are also rather interesting folk,” she quickly added.

Still silence.

“I... I really like her... mane?”

Celestia remained silent and serious. For a moment, Luna imagined that at some point Celestia had created a statue duplicate of herself and left it to fool Luna while she had left somewhere to scheme. A quick blink told Luna that her sister was still here with her.

Or maybe the statue duplicate could blink, in which case Celestia was really, really good at creating imitations of herself.

“Oh for the love of Moon!” Luna lashed. “Can't you say something? I am waiting your answer!” Luna swore she saw Celestia's lips twitch. “STOP TORMENTING US, SISTER, AND JUST SPEAK!

The throne room, and the hallways echoed and shook from Luna's boisterous Canterlot Voice. From there, Celestia broke into howling laughter, bending down while Luna was again blushing like mad as she tried to act like her little yell didn't happen.

Celestia's laughter quickly died down to a fits of giggles. “I'm, I'm sorry Lulu.” She giggled. “I couldn't resist.”

“I have to say that I have enjoyed your talk about you and Twilight, my dearest Luna.” Celestia then said, breaking her serious tone. “That you truly care for my pupil, and for that I'm grateful that you found a very good friend in her. And in her friends too.
What I have now heard is something I wasn't fully expecting. But I'm happy you have found something more in your friendship with Twilight. Does Twilight know anything about this?”

“N-no...” Luna stammered, still trying to wrap her head around the idea that Celestia had no objection to her feelings for Twilight. “Not yet anyway... I, I thought I would talk with you first before, before I would talk to Twilight. I thought, you could maybe provide me some, assistance?” she finished with a hopeful tone.

“That was a good idea, Luna. But you are treading in rather dangerous waters now. You do know you can't hide forever, and especially now,” Celestia explained. “Are you sure about your feelings?”

That seemed to shock Luna. “Of course they are,” Luna answered, but there was still some doubt in her tone.

“Your voice might betray you,” Celestia said. “But I know you, my sister, and I can understand this is not the kind spot you want to be in. Still, you have to bear it since you brought it up.”

“So, will you help me?” Luna asked awkwardly.

“Yes, I will,” Celestia replied. Luna sighed from relief. “But you have to tell Twilight about your true-self,” she said. “If you keep it hidden too long, you might end up hurting her feelings. And then it might just end up in tears for both of you,” Celestia warned.

“Don't worry Tia,” Luna said comfortingly. “I won't let it come to that.”

“When are you two meeting next?” Celestia asked.

“In a couple weeks,” Luna answered. “Why?”

Celestia then gave her sister her a very familiar, mischievous smirk. Her voice echoed her sister’s Royal Canterlot Voice, echoing powerfully off the walls. “Because when that day comes, you, my dear sister, are banished to Ponyville until thou have proven thy unbroken love for our pupil Twilight Sparkle!”

At first Luna was almost terrified, but as Celestia went on, her expression changed to more annoyed and slightly amused. “But in all seriousness,” Celestia added, “You will stay in Ponyville until then.”

To which Luna once again gave Celestia a shocked face as she asked: “Are you serious?”

“I am.” Celestia smiled. “Consider this as a sort of forced holiday.”

Luna wasn't exactly sure how to feel about this congenial exile. On one hoof this felt like a perfect opportunity, but also felt like she was dodging her role as the Co-Ruler of Equestria. “Are you sure about this?” she asked, more concerned.

“I am.” Celestia patted Luna. “Don't you worry, I held this kingdom together a thousand years, I think I can still manage things on my own a few weeks. And if anypony asks, I just say you are just having a royal vacation. You need this time and freedom, if you truly are wishing to try this relationship with Twilight.”

“Thank so much, Tia.” Luna smiled, embracing her sister in a long hug. “I'm indebted to you. Sometimes I feel I'm not being worthy of being your sister.”

“Oh, don't be like that Luna.” Celestia said back, rubbing Luna's head. “You are a wonderful sister, and I think this is sort of repaying as Twilight has helped you out a lot. Just try not to test her trust any longer. Or she might, like you said: ‘over react.’”

Luna couldn't trust her voice at that moment, so she replied with a short “Mhm.”

Author's Note:

Here it finally is. And I KNOW I should have released this many weeks ago and I apologize for that! But I just been hang up with my fellow students and time to time writing my script for my and Leo's next review. And then there was some major internet problems here, so that didn't help out much either. I still try to get back writing this more, so I hope you can understand and will be patient with me. Although you already have done that if you have gotten this far.

So I raise my hat for you my dear readers and followers.
Till next time, THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!