• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 8,923 Views, 168 Comments

Star Dust - Juu50x



Twilight recieves rather late invitation from Princess Celestia for the first "Winter Solstice" celebration for Princess Luna. And while staying there, something is going to change her life...

  • ...
19
 168
 8,923

Chapter 12 - Ponies of the Mountain

Star Dust

Chapter 12
Ponies of the Mountain

”See anything, Spike?” Rainbow asked as she and the little dragon flew across the the snowy fields of Sweet Apple Acres.

”No,” Spike replied, sounding rather forlorn. Why couldn't I go with Rarity? he thought.

”Why would anypony - or anyone - steal some firewood from Applejack, anyway?” Rainbow asked, still looking towards the snow-covered ground for anything suspicious. ”What's so special about some wood?”

”This winter sure has been a cold one,” Spike pointed out.

”But why can’t they just heat themselves with hot air vents like pegasi do?!” Rainbow shot back.

“Uuuuh… I don’t think everyone actually has that installed in their homes,” Spike replied.

The flight continued for a couple more minutes in complete silence before Rainbow decided to finally break it. “You know, this seems like a lost cause, don'tcha think? And it's rather cold out here.”

Spike replied with a nod, even though Rainbow couldn't see it. “I certainly don't see anything. Maybe we should head back and say-”

Spike was then rudely interrupted when Rainbow suddenly stopped short, almost causing Spike to fly off her back. He was about to ask what gives when he noticed the large pillar of light coming from the far end of the farm. “I don't think that's one of Applejack's flares...” he said, a bit too calmly given how shocked he was from the light.

“Yeeah...” Rainbow's expression darkened as she turned to Spike. “Hold on, Spike! Now you’re gonna see why Rainbow Dash is the fastest flyer in Equestria!”

Rainbow could feel Spike’s hold around her neck suddenly tightening from terror. She would make sure she wouldn't drop the dragon.

Twilight certainly wouldn't forgive me for a long time... she quickly mused. “LET'S GO SPIKE!” she yelled, her wings flapping as quickly as they could. Leaving a trail of rainbow behind her, she flew towards the light, where no doubt Twilight and Star were.



Everything was dark and everything hurt. Badly. But why am I hurting so badly? What happened...?

NO! Don't! Please!

SHUT IT! Let's go already!

“Twilight…” Star mumbled. But why am I in this kind of state? The image of a belt came to her mind. The belt around her horn! It prevented her from channeling her magic. She’d overloaded herself with magic trying to rip it off and the ice that encased her.

Twilight! She repeated the unicorn’s name, her mind re-assembling the jigsaw puzzle that was her memory. She was taken by those beasts!

The ground suddenly started to shake horribly. She could hear strange noises.

What in the name of Equestria is going on!?

“That's not the way waking somepony up, Rarity! You have to shake ‘em, like this! WAKE UP ALREADY!”

The next thing Star knew, she jumped straight off the ground. Her horn glowed brightly on reflex as her mind finally processed what had happened.

“Wha... what?” she exclaimed. “What happened!?”

A rather obvious question, but it came as more of a reflex.

“We followed a rather giant pillar of light here,” Spike hurriedly explained.

“But we could ask you the same question,” Rainbow said, an undertone of suspicion in her voice. Star stood silently, trying to recall what had transpired. Everything had suddenly become such a blur; her memories remained fragmented. Those flashes quickly made sense when she remembered Twilight’s scared expression and screams of distress.

“TWILIGHT!” she exclaimed. “She’s been taken!”

The next thing Twilight’s friends saw was a small puff of smoke as Star suddenly sprinted away as if an army of dragons was chasing her.

“Wow nelly! Wait up, Star!” Applejack called, while Rainbow was already flying, and soon was in front of the unicorn.

“And could you tell us just what the hay’s going on anyway?” Rainbow demanded. “What do you mean Twilight’s been taken?”

Star let out an frustrated sigh, feeling like they were wasting time. However, she felt that she could at least offer a quick explanation. “While Twilight and I searched, we were ambushed by Mountain Trolls and now they have Twilight!”

“What!?” A scream came before her, coming from the small dragon. “But how, why?!”

Star only became even more impatient when the others joined alongside Spike with questions of their own, questions she was in no mood to answer. “We don’t have time for this!” Star yelled, her horn glowing. “The more time we waste here, the more likely Twilight is in even bigger danger!”

With that, Star sprinted onward, leaving five ponies and one dragon behind. “Well, are we going to stand here or go after her?” Spike asked, his tone upset.

“Well let’s gooo…!”

With that, Pinkie was already off. In the wrong direction.

“Rainbow,” Applejack said, turning to her cyan friend. “Since yer so fast, would ya mind if ya could go to mah family and tell them what’s happenin’? Ya can catch up right quick.”

Rainbow nodded, flying back to Sweet Apple Acres while Applejack and the rest went after Star.



Uuuh... my head...

“Hey, she's waking up.”

“Don't matter. We’re already here. ‘Sides, not like she can do nuttin’ with that ring on ‘er purty horn.”

Wha... where exactly? Twilight slowly opened her eyes. At first her view was completely blurry, but slowly her sight became clearer and clearer. As it did, so did her mind. She suddenly remembered why and - vaguely - where she was.

Oh no! I've been ponynapped by creatures right out of little unicorn fillies nightmare stories! she thought in fright. She tried to fight the bonds around her hooves, which surprised her by their very existence. The last thing she remembered was her body covered in ice. They must have bound me while I was unconscious... she struggled again, while also trying to use her magic. This isn't working! Whatever they are using on that collar has lot of strength to block out any magical energies. Like it is acting as sort of... dam... and dams can be broken with enough force at a specific point. If I just have enough time-

A sudden rumbling noise broughtTwilight from her thoughts when a wall before the trolls suddenly slid, revealing a passage. Time that I don't have! Think Twilight, THINK! You need to leave some sort of mark for your friends!

Twilight's brain went into overdrive to think about something that might help her friends discover the hidden door. I could score a mark on the ground- no, can't do magic, hmmm... drop some fur, ni! That won’t work! They might get buried under the snow, or be blown away by the wind... but my saddlebag...

“Let's get inside already!” the head troll growled.

Not much time left... Twilight thought. Okay, here I go.

“Hey, what's it doing?!” the troll holding Twilight exclaimed when the unicorn started struggling and throwing itself around. Because the act had happened so suddenly, the troll quickly lost his grip on Twilight, who then fell to the ground. She continued her squirming in a desperate bid to escape, or so they thought.

I just need to move a bit more-

Many of the saddlebag’s contents fell out as she trashed about. Her quills, two large about all kinds of animals, and some parchment with her to-do list were strewn over the ground.

She tried move her bound hooves to the belt of the saddle, trying her best to let it loose. That attempt was brought to a quick end when large and rough hands grabbed her. “Don't ya try that...” one of the trolls growled, pulling her back.

Just little bit more! Twilight thought hastily, as now she worked with her hooves, trying to untie the saddle’s latch.

The trolls and their captive cargo were now entering the secret entrance. Just in time, Twilight’s saddle finally broke loose and dropped onto the ground just as the entrance was sealed.

I hope that will help them... Twilight's thoughts were interrupted when a new source of light appeared before her. Despite the severity of her situation, Twilight’s curious mind found the observations rather intriguing. Intriguing, yes, but far more terrifying, because she’d manage to stumble across a rather large population of trolls.

Before her was one large cave, and all around it, she could see many different shapes of rocks which had many different holes in them. She couldn't help but marvel at this sight. Never in her life had she expected to see something like this. An actual town build inside a mountain! And all of those houses are formed from solid rocks!

While the surroundings weren't exactly colorful or clean, just the sheer sight and size of this place was only making her scholarly side even more curious. “Ya came back with de unicorn! Good! Take it to de dungeons.”

That voice quickly brought Twilight back to the harsh reality she was facing at the moment. Oh, where are my friends? Did they notice my clues? Or are they even here, wherever here is? Do they even know where here is!?

“De King will deal with it when de party starts.”

The dread Twilight was feeling only grew as she seemed to move even further to her possible demise. Please! Anypony! SAVE ME! she silently pleaded as the trolls moved further into the cave.



The trip had been a hard one, especially for Rarity and Fluttershy who were far from their athletic peaks. The desire to stick together caused them to slow down at some point, much to Star’s displeasure. The atmosphere was also tense as both Spike and Star told them about the mountain trolls.

Of all the expected horrified reactions, none was worse than Spike’s. Star was a bit surprised that Spike knew about the trolls. “Well, that’s what you get when you live with a unicorn family,” he answered. “You hear many kinds of stories.” Spike said, in sad tone.

Poor Spike... Star thought, feeling sorry for the young dragon. I know how you must feel. She didn't want to say anything out loud, as it would probably just upset the dragon even more if she tried to comfort him, knowing the response she might receive. But she wasn't lying either, and no doubt all of Twilight's friends were feeling the same way.

But still probably not as bad as Spike feels. The way they act around each other is something, Star thought with a smirk, thinking about the times she had seen Twilight and Spike interact. He certainly fills the assistant part.

There is a bond between them. Tia did say that it was thanks to Twilight that Spike hatched, so he no doubt sees her as a sort of mother figure. But the way they interacted...it looks more like an interaction between siblings. But who am I to say how they should act? I haven't been around them that much anyway.

Those thoughts brought up a longing within Star, which also made her a bit jealous. Why am I feeling like this anyway? Why would I be jealous anyway? And jealous of who exactly?

“Hey!” Pinkie suddenly exclaimed, breaking the silence between them. “Isn’t that the same mountain where Fluttershy stared down that one dragon?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Rainbow replied.

“That is quite the coincidence, don’t you think?” Rarity asked.

“I bet,” Star replied. “But we still need to find the entrance to their lair.”

“I doubt it’ll be that hard.” Rainbow said. “I mean, all we need to do is to follow these footprints and enter the cave, right? Let’s get going.”

A little while later, the assembled group stood at the mouth of the cave.

“Well...” Rainbow said, looking at the wall of rock before her. ”That might complicate things...” she then turned to Applejack. “So, what now?”

Star, like the other ponies, looked around the mountain wall, desperate to find some kind of lead. When they had arrived and seen Twilight’s belongings scattered all over the ground, all seven of them took it rather hard.

A sudden image of Twilight then came to her mind, her being beaten up, bruised, broken and her horn gone.

No! Don’t think anything like that!

“Okay, we just need to find some hole where to put our hooves in!” Pinkie proclaimed, running her hooves over the rocky formation.

“Or maybe I can just try to find that hole and I can use my magic-”

“Better! I could just put my hoof in the hole and-”

Star had had enough of this indecision. “Enough of this!” Star finally yelled, her horn glowing brightly. Her shout spooked her companions.

Rarity was the first to break the silence. “Star, dear, what exactly are you do-”

A blast of light exited the horn, hitting the wall, creating a small hole. Star kept up the assault, forming a flurry of gaps in the rock. When the third bolt hit the wall, the rock face collapsed to reveal the hidden door. Star then ran to the hole, taking the lead as her hooves clopped on the rocky surface. After what felt like forever, her hooves found another hole, large enough for her hoof to fit in, but only to be stopped by a lever so wide that her hoof couldn't fit and grab it.

Good thing I chose this form. Her horn glowed again, taking the lever and pulled it down. Moments later, a secret passage opened before them.

“Well, what are we standing around here for?” Spike suddenly spoke up. “Let's get in there!”



Deep inside the mountain, Twilight shivered in her cell. “There has to be some kind of draft,” she said out loud. Even her jacket seemed to be no help at all. It wasn't just because of the cold, however, that she was shivering. The mere fact that her childhood nightmares were as real as herself chilled her to the bone.

And there are so many! she then thought in distress. Just how long this has been happening? And how have they been able to do this without being noticed earlier!?

Twilight looked around her cell, trying again to find something that she could use to her espace. But no! There isn't any kind of crack or something that could help me to get out of here! And this stupid-

Suddenly, the door opened with a loud screech. Immediately, Twilight jumped back towards the end of her cell, curling into a tight ball.

“Oi! Ya pony dere,” the guard called her. “Time to go!”

Twilight didn't move an inch. She simply stared at the troll with wide and terrified eyes. It was not pleased, rolling its pale eyes in annoyance. “Don't make me come over dere to pick ya up!”

The panicked purple pony remained unmoving. The guard let out an annoyed growl, moving towards Twilight. He stopped when he heard footsteps approach behind him. “Oh! Yer highness!” he bowed, stepping away from the door.

Time slowed around Twilight as the door opened and the alleged king entered her small cell. Just like any other troll, he was massive. The cape that swirled around his fat body partially concealed some sort of armor. The regalia, including the crown atop his head, seemed to make him even more formidable and terrifying.

The king looked down at Twilight with a piercing gaze. The thought of his eyes staring into her soul. She tried to curl into a smaller ball, hoping she could cover her entire body and just hide.

The king walked right in front of Twilight and took her head into his large hands. Much to her surprise, the king’s hands weren’t as rough as the other trolls. These hands actually seemed to work with carefulness.

Whilst the leader held her in his hands, he mumbled something illegible that Twilight couldn’t make out. He turned to the guard and gave a quick grunt and pointed at something that Twilight couldn’t see. The guard seemed to know what he meant as he quickly disappeared.

The king then turned to Twilight, seating himself onto the floor. “Now,” he began, calmly. “Why don’t we get do de business…”



Far, far above, the rescue ponies were hopelessly lost. Every turn seemingly leading them to the same place. “This is getting hopeless!” Rarity lamented. “How can we ever rescue Twilight if we even can’t tell if we are making any progress?”

“Will all of you just stay quiet for a moment?!” Star huffed in frustration. “It is bad enough that all of you ponies are just whimpering and complaining while Twilight is Moon knows in what kind of danger! And we might not have much time in our hooves!”

“Wow, wow, wow, WOW! Stop right there sister!” Rainbow said, stomping her hoof. She angrily confronted Star, anger in her voice. “You really think you’re the only one who cares about Twilight here!?”

“Yeah!” Spike proclaimed, jumping down from Applejack’s back. “We’ve all known her much longer than you have!”

That stung Star’s heart. That hurtful realization made her chest ache. Why was she so jealous of their longtime friendships with Twilight?

“Uuuum… girls?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“An’ we’re tryin’ to find some way to help ya out, but rushing like that ain’t helping our cause.”

Fluttershy tried again. “I think there is something you should…”

“There is no need to prove yourself to Twilight, I’m sure she still likes you the way you are.” Star blushed slightly and became more frustrated. At her reaction, Star wished Rarity hadn’t brought those feelings up again.

“If you don’t, um, mind, could you please listen to me?”

“I don’t try to prove myself to-!”

“HEY EVERYPONY! And dragon,” Pinkie suddenly interrupted the argument. “I have something to say.”

Everyone then turned their heads to the pink earth pony who was pointing at yellow pegasi, who was pointing at a large open door that they hadn’t noticed before. From the other side they could hear lots of different sounds and noises.

Carefully, all seven of them looked through it and saw what was a simply breathtaking scene. Through the threshold, they witnessed a massive cave, filled with nearly hundreds of trolls, trolls that were celebrating with many, many large bonfires. “Oh my GOSH!” Pinkie silently gasped. “It looks like the best kind of party!”

Star and Spike looked at Pinkie in shock. “What?” Pinkie asked. “Don’t tell me that these trollies at least know to paaaarty? You can give me that at least…I know we still need to save Twilight and all…” she then added, sounding a bit sad.

Star just shook her head before jumping to the other side. “Hey, don’t just try to leave without us!” Rainbow called.

“Horse apples!” Applejack cursed, leading the remaining ponies after Star and Rainbow.

Before anyone could follow the two further, a troll suddenly came from one of the corners of a building, looking quite confused, seeing many ponies and a dragon in their home.

But before it could react, a small magical orb hit the troll right square in the face. The troll shook his head, confused, before suddenly dropping to the ground with a loud snore. “A simple sleep spell should do the trick.” Star smirked.

“Wow, I haven’t seen anypony other than the Princesses and Twilight pull of a sleep spell!” Spike said in awe, walking next to the unicorn.

“Doesn’t matter,” Star said, not keen on explaining where she’d learned that spell. “We have to find Twilight. Where could she have-”

“The dungeons?” Pinkie piped before Star answered.

“What she said,” she confirmed. All of them ventured towards what they hoped were the dungeons. Surprisingly, rest of their journey was not met with any difficulties. Most of the trolls were celebrating...something. However, things soon changed when they finally reached what looked like the dungeon entrance, guarded by four menacing brutes.

“It doesn’t matter…” Star muttered to herself. “We are going to get inside no matter what.”

“Ah hear that,” Applejack said.

“Okay.” Star sighed. “Here goes nothing.” With that, six ponies and one dragon jumped out in the open, confusing the four guards momentarily.

Pinkie and Fluttershy took that to their advantage by simply jumping and flying around them. Star, Rainbow and Applejack were the main push. Meanwhile, Rarity was helping Spike to open the locked door, which didn’t seem to take long as the door made a “click” sound almost after Spike started working with his claws. “Huh, that was easy,” he said as the door opened.

But on the other side was a big surprise in the form of the troll king. “What in de name of de mountain iz going on!?” he roared in confusion. Rarity and Spike retreated quickly away from the giant troll.

“These are someponies trying to get their friend back!” Star exclaimed. She aimed her horn at the king.

“And no uglies are going to stop us!” Rainbow also exclaimed, preparing to strike.

“I don’t think so,” the king said calmly, anger plain in his voice.

“Bring it!” Star exclaimed, her horn powered up.

“STOP!” the next thing happened was Star, Rainbow, Applejack suddenly froze in place, surrounded by a familiar purple aura.

“Twilight!?” all of them spoke loudly when their friend stepped from behind of the troll king.

Author's Note:

Well, here is the 12th chapter. And once again sorry for long delays, but like I explained once, the chapter had to go through some heavy re-writings before being released and then one of proof-readers told me that his proof-reading would be delayed because of his exams. But now the chapter is out, so better late then never. Right?

Anyway, I hope you guys liked this chapter and don't mind this little teasing cliffhanger like in previous chapter. And I'm sorry if this chapter sucked and you didn't enjoy it. But don't forget to comment!

Well that's all till next time so, THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!!