• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 5,498 Views, 214 Comments

Reciprocity: A Metro 2033 and MLP Crossover - MrSing



A crossover between Metro 2033 and MLP:FIM.

  • ...
12
 214
 5,498

Chapter 6: Hope is Blind

Hope is Blind.

With a small sigh of relief I plopped down in the snow, stretching out before I rested my head on my front legs and watched the tall creature sit down on a rock.

The sky was graced with another clear and star-filled night that cast a comfortably dim light on our surroundings. Normally, this would mean another rest that would chill me to my very core, but my strange companion proved to possess a few interesting skills over the days that we had been travelling together.

I watched with interest as it dug up a few sticks from its saddlebag that it had gathered during our long walks. I was still amazed by how it managed to make the wet wood burn in a fire that didn’t choke us with thick smoke. The creature began the complex ritual it preformed every night as it selected small branches on the basis of some criteria that were only comprehensible to itself and started to strip off the wet bark from the larger pieces of wood.

As I watched the motion of its hands that betrayed years of experience, I was again struck by the paradoxical nature of the being. Most of the time it seemed ignorant like a grub, unseeingly bumbling around during the daytime. The nocturnal creature had put a foolish amount of trust in me as it literally followed me blindly as I dragged it by its sleeve.

But at the same time it showed a healthy amount of paranoia. Even now it was continuously watching the large natural stone pillars around us with those beady and tired eyes. Always vigilant for predators, with one of its weapons within arm’s reach.

I let out a small cheery sound as it finally managed to make a tiny flame with the spark from its lighter. The tall being nodded its head with a small smile as it heard my celebration. If it insisted on believing that I had given it a compliment, it was free to do so, but I was just glad that I wouldn’t freeze to death tonight.

Moving closer to the center of our little bubble of comfort and light, I made sure not to light the creature’s “gift” on fire. Partially because, even though it was only a gift in the loosest sense of the word, it was the very first thing that was given to me; not to some loved one I was disguised as, something that I would have to discard as soon as I was found out, but something that was given to the actual me. Something I could keep for myself and the Hive. But mostly, I kept it away from the fire because I was wearing it at the moment.

The first night we had started our journey, after the creature had finally regained its vision and could be trusted not to blindly wander off, I had been having trouble sleeping again on the cold ground. Maybe it was out of a sense of pity, or maybe the being simply was annoyed by the clattering of my teeth, but it had reached under its armor and produced a couple of wrapped up items that, at a point very long ago, could have been described as clothes.

The things were barely more than a bunch of grey threads that were held together by hope and dirt. Years of sweat and bloodstains had seeped into them until they emitted a smell that could only be described as nose-meltingly foul. Still, it kept out the worst of the cold and stopped my shivering. Beggars couldn’t be choosers.

My eyes had begun to wander off to the tooth-like stone structures that surrounded us. The ancient pillars were only a better sight than the forest by virtue of being decidedly something else than that cursed place. I had no idea what manner of natural or magical phenomena had created this landscape, nor did I care. All I knew from the instructions that my Sisters had burned into my mind, was that this place was the start of the last stage of my journey home. That alone made the landscape the most beautiful thing I had seen in my life, with the exception of the Hive, of course.

“Dozor.” My ears perked up as the creature called my new name with its gruff, tired voice. Though we were a long way from communicating meaningfully with each other, the routine that had slowly built up between us already told me that it was time for “dinner”.

As many times before, the tall being provided a few of the small, sickly, white things that could only be called mushrooms by the most optimistic of creatures. Even though they tasted like they had been grown on a strict diet of rubber and mud, they did their job in soothing the aches of my stomach. They kept me going and they were free, so who was I to complain? Though, as I half gulped down half gagged on the last of the dull-tasting fungi, I wondered if my prey was sharing them out of kindness, or if it wanted to share the misery of its meal.

The creature muttered a few words, sounding concerned as it turned the small brown bag inside out. The look in those small eyes with dark circles under them was almost as empty as the bag itself.

No more mushrooms, I guessed. The horror.

The biped threw away the brown cloth and dug deep into its saddlebag once again. Carefully, like handling an ancient relic, it took out the grey cylinder in which it kept its most prized possession: a bottle of a beautiful and strange design at which the creature would stare endlessly, like it held all the answers in the world.

I had no idea how the glassblower had managed to shape the glass in such a way that it captured the light of the stars and fire and mirrored them into a hypnotizing display of light, but it would not be an unfit gift for Mother. Sadly, although the creature had literally entrusted its very life to me, it would not allow me near the bottle. No matter how slowly or harmlessly I tried to approach it, the being would always stuff it away as soon as it noticed me getting close.

It wasn’t really worth the effort, so after the first night I quickly accepted it as another one of the creature’s quirks. Soon, despite the creature’s best efforts, it started to slowly nod off as it stared into the bottle.

I found my eyelids growing heavy as I laid my head down on my cloth-wrapped legs. Not to sleep, of course, but to rest. Sleep was a luxury that would have to wait until I was home. Besides, the steady supply of trust that I carefully siphoned from it should have been more than enough to keep me awake. And even if it wasn’t, it was still my responsibility to watch over the prey. It was ours and I couldn’t afford it to let it be eaten in the night. I yawned as I rested my eyes for a moment, enjoying the warmth of the fire.




I let out a surprised yell as I felt something grip my front leg. I opened my eyes, ready to bite whatever predator had gotten me as I rested. But, as I looked up, I gazed not into the eyes of certain death, but into the small brown eyes of Yuri.

He nudged me again and slowly helped me onto my legs. A trail of smoke was coming from the embers that remained of the fire. My eyes quickly gazed past the helmet of the prey. I felt my heart drop as I saw that the moon had traveled across the sky already, and was almost starting to sink into the horizon.

With a frustrated grunt and drooping ears I quickly trotted in front of the biped. I glared at the ugly face of that idiot as I ran past it. How could it have left me sleeping for so long? Soon it would be day and because of its weakness we would again be slowed to a crawl. Well, if it was counting on another break any time soon, it was out of luck!

As we traveled in silence under the slowly brightening sky, I felt my anger being replaced with excitement. The stone forest slowly started to give way to an actual one as I saw more trees and familiar plants replacing the lifeless monoliths surrounding us. The few stone structures we still encountered were more frequently overrun by the vines that were so characteristic of my homeland. It was as if the forest was just as eager to expand its reach as its inhabitants.

In my excitement, I subconsciously began to hop while spreading my wings open. Apparently my prey found this to be amusing, as it began to chuckle at my display. Strangely, I didn’t mind the laughter and I felt a sly smile growing on my face.

Perhaps it was wasteful and selfish of me, but my wings were itching to be used again. I had been earthbound for far too long. I boldly stole more energy from the creature than I had dared before and enjoyed the feeling of power returning to my horn and spreading to my wings.

With a final hop, I launched myself into the air and flew up to the snow covered branches as the biped reeled back. After a somersault I hovered next to the creature so that I was on eye level with it. I couldn’t help but laugh at the look of surprise on its face. No matter how alien the creature was, it seemed that some expressions were universal.

However, as I heard the sound of buzzing wings and small soft thuds of landings, I realized that in my excitement, I had missed a group of creatures approaching us. As I focused on the dark shapes, ready to face a fierce fight, I was greeted by a most welcome sight.

Three guards, all wearing dark blue armor that protected their chests and backs, had landed in front of us. The one in the middle was wearing a helmet that the other two lacked, marking her as a commander. All three of them looked as powerful and as unmovable as the earth. They had that aura of calm certainty and resolve that was only gained by years of serving in the Queen's military

Despite the initially serious and professional look of the guards, the commander quickly took of her helmet as she gave me a warm smile and flew up to face me. ‘Sister, It is good to have you back, ’ she said into my mind. As she looked more closely at me she let out a snort. ’I see that you’re disguising yourself as dirty laundry. Smart, the enemy will never see it coming.’

’Oh, this, an awkward smile formed on my face as I looked down at my rags. They were a… a gift, you could say. I gestured back at the biped that was anxiously looking at our wordless communication.

The commander flew past me and in front of the creature that reeled back a bit at the unexpected invasion of its personal space. Putting a hoof on her chin, the veteran gave the biped a critical stare.

’My, my, you bring back the strangest things to the Hive, scout. Well, I hope that the quality of its love is better than its gifts.’ She glanced back at the two other guards. Quickly responding to the mental order they had been given, they flanked the creature on both sides. Putting her helmet back on, the commander ordered me to fly next to her as she led the way.

As we silently marched on in the slowly brightening forest, I cast a few glances at the biped. Though the sun was slowly starting to rise, the creature could still walk mostly unattended. More concerning was the hand that it held on the L-shaped object that had killed the chimera. Still, it was calm for now, and I really had more pressing things to think about. ’So,’ I asked the commander. How are things back in the Hive? Have the other scouts found anything at all?’

For the smallest of moments, the confident smile under her helmet faltered. No. You’re the first one that returned with any news at all. She looked at me with a neutral expression on her face. We’re still getting by, for now, but a new race of thralls would be very welcome at this point.’ She grimaced as she looked in the distance. Not waking up to the moaning that comes from the healing chamber would do all of us good. Our Brothers and Sisters are doing their very best, but there is only so much they can do for the wounded without spells.

’What?’ I stared in disbelief at the commander. ’Are you serious? We had to call on our Brothers? Are things that desperate?’

’I know, I know, it’s been thirteen years since that was necessary, but that was way before your time.’ The commander twitched with her tail in frustration as she continued to talk. ’We just can’t afford to keep anyone in reserve, and even with their help, it’s a madhouse in there. Everyone is working outside of their original purpose in these times.’I must have looked absolutely miserable, because my companion immediately tried to cheer me up with a pat on the back. ’Don’t worry too much, Sister. I’m sure that the Queen will sort this out in no time as soon as she has had a little “chat” with your thrall.’

I wanted to ask more, but I was stopped by a sight I had dreamed about for months. Unlike in my nightmares, the place was still full of life. Groups of armored changelings flew in and out of the black towers, carrying dead prey or the precious few fruits and nuts that were still available. Crunching noises filled the air as I saw my fellow Sisters breaking the ice of the nearby lake and dragging large chunks back inside.

The biped whispered a few words in a shaking voice as it saw the dark spires of our labors reaching into the sky. With a small grin and flair of the theatrical, the commander held up a leg to gesture at our home. “Well then, here it is. The great Hive,” her voice was solemn as she spoke in an old Taurus dialect. She laughed as the creature took a few steps back. “Do enjoy your stay.”


The structure was dark and foreboding. Like an evil lair out of fairy tales.

It was hard to imagine that such a thing could be built by a new species in only twenty years. An entire city that could almost rival the human ingenuity of the old days, but there it was.

I suppose that it was actually no stranger than how the world outside of the metro was. Many elders had told of how sweet the air used to be and had complained about the dusty filtered air we were forced to breathe in the metro, but they could have never described the feeling of your lungs being filled with clean, cold air. Even after days of traveling I still relished every unstrained breath in this strange new world. And the snow tasted so pure and clean. Not a trace of the ash or poison that filled Moscow could be found in it.

Incredibly, my Geiger counter indicated safe levels of radiation. I first thought that the thing was broken, but every now and then a stray particle would hit it and make it crackle with life. It was, I-I don’t know. It was unreal. Simply unreal.

The planet was supposed to be a nuclear cinder, but it was so clean here. Even the clouds and dust of the nuclear winter were absent.

It filled me with a sense of hope. Maybe only the major cities of the world had been hit by the devastating weapons of war, while the rural world was spared. Maybe we didn’t have to stay in the metro, hiding away from the surface like rats. Maybe we just needed to move away from the city that slowly sucked the life out of us. Maybe we could carve out a future in this place like these mutants had.

With a small poke from Dozor’s hole-filled leg, which amazingly enough seemed to be a trait of his species, I was brought back to reality. Entering this place seemed like a terrible idea, but did I really have a choice? Soon the intense light of the sun would blind me into helplessness again. Besides, even if I was able to get away, where would I go?

Dozor’s look of impatience was enough to convince me. He had helped me so far; he deserved a bit more trust.

I nodded to my companion and his friends who would be identical to him if it weren’t for the armor they were wearing. With steps that sounded more confident than I was, I followed my new guides into the unknown darkness of their home.

Flicking on my flashlight drew a few surprised looks from the apparent leader of our little group and the two mutants that refused to leave my sides, but it was nothing compared to what I felt. Tunnels and bridges stretched everywhere haphazardly, opening into the large chamber we were standing in and leading to who knows where. Large green spheres gave off a sickly green light all on their own. In an impressive stand against the laws of physics, they were floating in the air without any suspension.

Small groups of the mutants marched or flew by as they carried supplies. Other groups were chewing up a strange black mud and spewing it down in places where cracks had started to appear. As we descended deeper and deeper into those dark tunnels, we kept drawing their attention. Uncountable pairs of bright eyes stared at me with an unreadable intent hidden behind those blue orbs.

But the most disturbing part was that this went on in complete and utter silence. Except for the buzzing of wings and stomping of legs, no creature spoke. They just looked up, as if they heard voices and did their tasks in complete harmony with one another. It was more than a bit eerie.

Well, I suppose that it wasn’t complete silence. If I listened closely, then I could hear a faintly melodic moaning and screaming in the air. It was hard to tell if it was a song or the sound of suffering echoing in the chamber, but as it grew louder, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

This was not a place intended for humans.

The only reason I kept on walking was the gentle, but continuous pushing of the small mutants that flanked me. Subconsciously my hand had started to rest on the assault rifle slung around my back. A grimace formed on my face as I thought about escaping from this place. Even if every cartridge I had killed one of the mutants, there would still be thousands left. There was no choice but to walk through this seemingly endless tunnel to whatever fate they had in store for me.

As we went deeper into this system of tunnels that turned and twisted, we came across several large chambers. Quick glances inside revealed large walls with hexagonal tubes, a quarter of which were filled with more sleeping mutants. Another chamber showed eggs resting under a ceiling filled with the green spheres that gave of a soft, welcome warmth. The mutants that were fussing over the white ovals stopped as soon as they saw me and kept a watchful eye on me until I had passed the room.

And all the while, that horrible song grew in strength. Even my companions seemed to be affected by it, as they kept their heads low and stared at the ground. Almost as bad as that sound, was the smell that started to fill the tunnel. Rot, pain and fear hung in the air as we started to pass the chamber from which it all came.

Against my better judgment, I peeked inside. The sight of broken, festering limbs, cracked eyes, and torn wings assaulted my vision. Diligent mutants were helping their kin as they flew back and forth between the most pitiful creatures I had ever seen in my life. They slowly gently lowered the most painful looking wounds into iced water and washed the infected limbs, but that seemed to be the limit of their medical knowledge.

My guards didn’t allow for a long look though, as they more quickly than before started pushing me away from the heartbreaking sight. They only slowed down after that putrid smell became less overwhelming and the moaning was little more than a soft background noise. I couldn’t blame them for not wanting to stay there long.

Finally, after what had felt like hours of walking, the tunnel opened up into a large room. There were no more side passages or intersecting tunnels or side chambers, making it clear that this was our end destination. With a pounding heart and shaking hands I walked into the place where my fate would be decided.

More of those strange green orbs illuminated the underground room which had a surprisingly tall ceiling. The light of the floating spheres revealed that the black walls were filled with strange, glowing, drawings. Another, smaller, paler, white variant of the mutants flew around the chamber alongside with the regular and armored mutants. These smaller mutants gently pressed their horns against the walls as they erased and drew fantastic images that told of impossible things

I saw fields filled with flowers, grass, and sand. The lines formed great cities of an architecture I had never heard of before, castles made of crystals, caves filled with dog like creatures, tall towers in the clouds with large birds flying between them, villages with tent-like houses and trotting horses.

What I didn’t see was a world covered in ice, or broken down cities, or Moscow.

Or humans.

Before I could think about the implications, I was mercifully distracted by movement in the middle of the chamber. A large and gangly shape flew up and with a thud landed right in front of me. Large, disturbingly human eyes looked at me with a hungry intensity.

Surprised and startled, I started to quickly take a few step backs, but the creature kept advancing toward me with its fangs exposed in a dangerous smile. In my clumsy retreat I felt my legs cross each other, followed by the ground meeting my back. Desperate to get away from that much too human gaze, I crawled away on my back, not daring to break our eye contact for one second.

My breathing stopped for a moment as I felt the hard wall pressing against me and blocking my clumsy escape.

I hadn’t realized it in my panic, but the creature had been talking to me for some time now. It was a speaking in a tone that commanded respect, that expected obedience, and strangely sounded very feminine. Her voice also seemed to have a strange effect, like it echoed in itself. But what was more important than that, was the she seemed to be demanding answers from me. And judging from the increasing amount of teeth she showed me, her patience was wearing thin.

“I-I’m sorry, I c-can’t understand you!” My stuttering words seemed to anger the creature as she started to lean over me with a suspicious look in her eyes. For no visible reason the creature suddenly looked over to Dozor, who was making complex gestures as he wordlessly explained something.

I had no idea how, but apparently Dozor had gotten some kind of message over to the hole-riddled mutant that was standing over me. With a small nod at my companion, she started to lean closer over me until her long, blue hair almost lay on my chest.

“What are you-“ My question was interrupted as a sickly green glow started to engulf the large, jagged horn that sprouted from her head. As she slowly moved her horn until its tip touched my forehead, a scratching sensation formed in the back of my head.

The feeling was indescribable. The closest that I can come to describing it is a burning fungus was slowly growing in my brain. Exploring every corner of my mind until it engulfed my very being, lighting every part of me up in a firework of agony.

I couldn’t even scream or move as my mind slowly started to shut down in some futile attempt to spare me from what was happening to it. The world faded to black as the ground rushed forward to meet my face.



With a gasp I filled my lunges as consciousness flooded my mind. Like a guard that had hit the bottle too hard, I slowly hoisted myself into a sitting position as I held my throbbing head in my hands. Slowly I opened my eyes and blinked rapidly as the green light pierced my eyes.

I must not have been out for long, as the mutants were standing in a half circle around me, looking at each other with unreadable expressions. With slow and shaking hands I reached for the shotgun on my back. Two shots would clear a path, and then I would run. Just run.

’That won’t be necessary, Yuri.’

Startled, I looked up at the gangly mutant that had spoken the first word I could understand in days. “What was that? What did you do to me?” I wanted to scream my accusations at the creature, but my pounding headache made my words little more than whispers.

The mutant nudged her head at me and instantly Dozor flew toward me to help me get back up on my feet again. ’It was all a tragic misunderstanding, I assure you. Had I known that you mind was so… different, I would have been more careful from the start.’ She made a razor sharp grin as she flew back to her ominous throne. ’You’re very lucky, Yuri. Had I been less experienced in the ways of mind magic, your entire being might have been simply swept away.’

’Magic?’ “How are you speaking Russian? And how do you know my name?” Cautiously, I put my hand back on the shotgun.

The mutant failed to hide a melodic giggle behind one of her front legs as she looked at me with an amused sparkle in her eyes. ’You believe that I’m speaking? How precious.’ With a look of pride and affection that I had not thought to be possible to find on a mutant’s face, the creature gazed at Dozor, who puffed his chest with pride under the moment of attention. ’And as for knowing your name, you’ll have to thank her. My scout has proven herself to be quite the hero these last few days.’

I held my hands up in surprise. “Wait, you mean that Dozor isn’t a male?” It was ridiculous to wonder about such a small thing compared to what was happening. But it was the only subject my pained mind could focus on that wasn’t part of the complete mess that was surrounding me.

Though Dozor, understandably, was none too pleased to hear me question her gender. Her face that just a moment ago had beamed with happiness and something that was the equivalent of a mutant’s blush, was now forming a sour expression that would have been the envy of even the most bitter and old men in the metro. ’Thanks, Yuri, you really know how to make a changeling feel special.’

Whatever that thing had done to me, must have shaken me up worse than I had thought, since I didn’t even see Dozor’s mouth move as she spoke to me.

The large mutant squinted her eyes as the smile died on her face. ‘I will not be called a ”thing” in my own Hive!’ She held a leg to her chest as she flew up. ‘If you insist on calling us names, like you did with my scout, you shall refer to me as Chrysalis, Queen of the changelings.’

The blur of confusion that lay over my mind was swept away as the terrifying truth became clear.

The queen stopped her rather dramatic display as she landed in front of me again. ‘Yes, we are talking via the collective mind.’ She tilted her head. ‘You should feel honored, really, not many creatures get this opportunity. Or are capable of receiving this gift. Your mind is a most peculiar thing.’ She smiled. ‘No magical, mental, or natural barriers, and oh so very fragile. It’s really the only reason I could connect you to us in the first place.’

This was too much to take in. I just needed to focus on something else. Holding my head in my hands, I tried my very best not to let my panic get the better of me. “Look, I’m just really lost and I need to get home as soon as possible. Could you please help me do that?”

The gangly mutant nodded with an eager smile for me to follow her as she flew back to her throne. ‘Believe me, Yuri, if I knew where your home was, I would be more than happy to help you out.’ The queen stared at a few of the pale white changelings, calling them forth with a mental command. ‘But you can help me help you, I’m sure. Just point out on the map where your species lives, and we’ll get you back there in no time at all.’

The two hovering creatures closed their eyes as a weak light engulfed their horns. White lines started to appear in the air and formed a large intricate map, not like the ones that described the metro, but a world map like the ones that could be found in old Atlases.

But it was strange; there were eight large pieces of land divided by water, and for some reason gigantic clouds were drawn on the map too, as if they were countries of their own.

“No no no,” I managed to whisper. “This isn’t right at all.” Of course the world would have changed after what had happened. That was to be expected. But even the incredible force of a nuclear bomb would have done little to change the landmasses.

Dozor let out a small huff as she flew up in front of me, uncomfortably close to my face. ‘You can bet your Hive on it that these are the most accurate maps in all of Equestria,’ the changeling said with an indignant tone. ‘Our lives depend on it.’

“You don’t understand,” I said as I pushed her out of my breathing room. “The… uhm… what are they called again?” I went through my still scattered thoughts as I tried to recall a term that had no use in my world. “The continents are all wrong!”

The changeling with the helmet and armor walked through the chart, causing a few ripples in the image. ‘My Queen, we can argue maps all day, but maybe it is wiser to simply ask him how he got here and go from there?’

And so I told them of my journey. Of the rats that flooded the tunnels, the threat of starvation, the running through the tunnels with my companions, the sad sight of the dead city, and finally, my encounter with the anomaly.

Their confused and frowning faces told me more than words could. They had no idea what I was talking about. I sat down on the dark floor and took my head in my hands as the creatures exchanged stares, probably wondering if I was crazy. There was no sense in denying that something was very wrong in the world, more so then usual.

‘So,’ the queen drew my attention as she finally spoke up. ‘The last thing you remember is being consumed by this “anomaly”?’ She continued after she saw me slowly nod. ‘Intriguing. I have heard about wild magic forming spells on its own from the other Hives, but nothing on the scale of a teleportation spell. And especially not near a sentient race.’ She stared right at me with those frighteningly near human eyes. ‘I suspect that you’ve been transported very, very, far.’

Sighing, I looked back at the large changeling. “Sorry, I’m sure that what you are saying is really important, but can you just tell me how to get home again? I’m worried for my friends and I really need to help my station. I don’t know how much more time we have left.”

The queen pressed the ends of her front legs together in another one of those surprisingly human gestures as she spoke. ‘Ah yes, your people. You have a very noble mission, Yuri. It is always important to help your kin. At any cost.’ She gave a sad smile as she looked around at the creatures in the room for a moment. ‘And, as you probably saw when my guards led you here, my subjects are suffering too.’

“Yes,” I awkwardly replied. “I’m sorry to see more pain.”

She dismissed my sympathy with a wave of her front leg. ‘Don’t insult us with your pity. We can bear our wounds just fine. ’ A wide smile replaced the frown on her face. ‘But the way I see it, we are two species in need of resources. And I think that we both can, ’ she paused for a moment as she inspected me, ‘help each other. ’

“What do you mean?” As bizarre as the situation was, I couldn’t help but be curious. Mutants and humans helping each other? It sounded good, somehow. Not finding another beast or station that wanted to tear us to shreds, but an actual helping hand. Still, I found myself forced speak the uncomfortable truth. “We don’t really have a lot to offer. Except for our flamethrowers and mushroom farm, we have nothing of real value.”

The changeling leader stared at me with a bemused expression as I started to empty my pockets and showed my measly belongings. “I guess that we have a lot of ammo and some guns. Not the best quality, but we could trade, if you wanted to.”

I shrank back as the queen started to laugh loudly, making the sound echo throughout the chamber. ‘As tempting as the offer of old lead and wood is, I was thinking about something more nourishing.’ The smile died on her face as she saw my blank expression. ‘Love, Yuri, we feed on love. It’s the source of our power. But you don’t need to worry. We know when to stop feeding before it becomes damaging. And we have much to offer in return.’

Now it was my turn to laugh, although more nervously. “What? I-I don’t understand.”

The gangly mutant sighed deeply as she rolled her eyes. ‘Perhaps a demonstration is in order?’ She gestured at a very surprised looking Dozor, who nervously fluttered her wings as she approached me again.

‘You trust my scout, don’t you?’ Chrysalis smiled as she looked at the little changeling dressed in old rags. ‘After all, you let her drag you around half the country. Focus on that trust, Yuri, and you’ll see.’

Though it was a confusing request, it wasn’t particularly hard. Just looking at the alien face of my guide filled me with a sense of gratitude that was similar to what I had felt for any guard in my station. I felt that slightest hint of a tingle as Dozor’s horn began to glow with a bright green light.

As Dozor gritted her teeth and seemed to be lost in intense concentration, the light from her horn was transferred to me. My stomach lurched as an intense sensation of wrongness overcame me, I was slowly floating up to the ceiling. The shock made it impossible for me to even protest. Somehow, these creatures had managed to tame the unknowable power of the anomalies

‘You see, Yuri?’ the queen spoke up again. ‘And this is just from a small bit of trust. Imagine what we could do if your entire station were here. Imagine if your entire race was here.’ She had a fire in her eyes as she spoke her words with a growing volume. ‘We could heal our wounded! We could feed both our kinds! We could rise to unknown heights, together!’ She flew up to me as she continued her speech. ‘Your race is broken and starving. I’m offering you to come live with us. And all you need to do is simply feed our power.’ To my eternal gratitude I was slowly descending to the safety of the ground again. Chrysalis offered me a leg as she finished talking. ‘What do you say, human? Shall we be allies?’

There was complete silence in the chamber as the question floated in the air, well, except for the exhausted breathing of Dozor. Of all the things that I had expected to find in this place, allies were the last on the list, but could I really say no? Alex his warning still haunted my thoughts, even as I walked the alien landscape. Without help, my home would die.

And now, out of nowhere, I had found salvation. Not just for me, my home, or its refugees, but for the entire human race. If only Sasha and Sergei, or even that bitter stalker, could see this. With these creatures, we would be safe from the rips in reality. In this place, the air wouldn’t kill us, and in the safety of these tunnels, we could finally live as humans again.

With a smile I shook the mutant’s leg. “It’s a deal.”

The queen nodded her approval with a spark of happiness in her eyes. ‘Excellent. I knew you would see the wisdom of my words.’ She nodded for two of the smaller guards to escort me. ‘Now, Yuri, you go rest and eat. Tomorrow we shall discuss how we can get your species here in the first place.’ She laughed as she saw the concerned expression on my face. ‘Don’t worry, I already have a plan that should be,’ she paused for a moment as she gave a devious smile. ‘Perfect. Now let me have a little talk with my scout and the commander, and we shall get started first thing in the morning.’

And with that, I was off to one of the resting chambers I had seen earlier. As I walked through the tunnels, I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t noticed how much they resembled the tunnels of the metro. Yes, I thought to myself, this would be our new home. Finally, everything would be alright.

Author's Note:

I want to thank kalash93 for helping me with pre-reading and giving a few very helpful suggestions. This chapter would be quite different if it weren't for him. So, thanks buddy.