• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 3,796 Views, 141 Comments

Friendship is Magic: The Covenant War - dragonfang33

  • ...
22
 141
 3,796

Chapter VI: Rules of Engagement

Friendship is Magic: The Covenant War

By Dragonfang33

Chapter VI
Rules of Engagement

Location: Joe's Donuts, Canterlot, Free Territories, a few days after the fall of the Celestia Line.

The Canterlot to which Shining Armor had returned was a far cry from the once bustling capital city it had been. Numerous buildings had been gutted by fire, leaving behind only empty shells. Canterlot Royal Guards, militia from the outlying towns and police patrolled every street, and security at the Palace had been tripled. Craters caused by Covenant plasma missiles could be found near the Train Depot, the Telegraph Office, the Market, the Palace, the Academies, the Police Station, the Armory, and the Barracks of the Canterlot Guard and Royal Special Forces.
The skies over Canterlot were now covered with black clouds as a way to prevent further attacks, but one of the drawbacks was that the rain schedule had been thrown off. Instead of controlled showers or storms, it now seemed to rain whenever it felt like it. Yet a ridged class segregation had also begun to return to the capital in the wake of Princess Celestia’s death with the poor and middle class ponies confined to the outskirts, the nobility and the wealthy in the opulent downtown regions. Areas protected by a vast number of Royal Guard and Police forces.
Even though Shining Armor had married Princess Cadence and was commander in chief of the Royal Army, to most of the Canterlot elite he was still a commoner hardly worth their attention. Ever since he'd arrived back in Canterlot from the north the looks among the elite only seemed to increase as rumors spread about why the Queen had recalled him.

"Hey Pony Joe," Shining Armor said, as he slammed his mug of cider on the counter, "another doughnut, and more cider vintage Celestia 1000."

"Shining don't you think you've had enough," the gruff stallion behind the counter replied. Shining Armor simply shot Joe a cold gaze.

"I've seen things that stallions like you can't dream up in your worst nightmares," Shining snapped, "I think I've more than earned the right to drown my sorrows."

"Sorry Shining but I'm cutting you off," Joe replied, Shining Armor simply grunted, he was about to form a reply when the door to the store opened, revealing two Royal Guards.

"General Armor sir," one of the guards said, "Her Majesty requests your presence at the Palace." Shining Armor didn't reply as he staggered to his hoofs.

"Are you feeling alright sir?" The other guard inquired.

"I'm fine corporal," Shining Armor replied, "just toasting the fall of Equestria is all."

"With all due respect General," the first guard said, "maybe it would be best if you got cleaned up before meeting with the Queen."

"What are you saying private," Shining Armor replied, with a more confrontational tone to his voice, "I'll have you know this is the look of a stallion whose seen action. Besides it's not like I'm drunk or anything." Shining Armor said, before falling to the floor in a heap. The two guards simply looked at each other, before grabbing Shining Armor by the collar of his dress uniform.

"What's the meaning of this unhoof me at once," Shining Armor said, trying to break the grip of the two guards.

"Sorry sir but these orders come from the Queen herself," the first Guard replied.

Location: Outside the throne room, Royal Palace, Canterlot, Free Territories , half hour later

Shining Armor made his way towards the throne room, dazed from the cider he'd consumed earlier, but at least looking more presentable. Focusing his magic on his collar Shining Armor finished straightening it as he approached the golden double doors that lead to the throne room. In front of the doors stood a familiar pink Alicorn who he'd hadn't seen in weeks. His arrival back in Canterlot had been kept secret so not to damage moral, and as a result he'd been unable to visit his wife or the palace until the Queen requested his presence

"Cadence," Shining Armor said, as he raced to his wife.

"Shining," Cadence replied, with tears in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're safe."

"It's wonderful to see you again my love," Shining said, as he embraced his wife. "How have things been here at the Palace?" As if in answer to Shining Armor's question Luna's voice thundered through the hallway.
"INCOMPETENCE, WE ARE SURROUNDED BY INCOMPETENCE!"
"To be honest," Cadence replied, "I've never heard Luna sound so angry before."

"Who is she speaking too?" Shining Armor inquired.

"Members of the Council and some of the generals of the Guard," Cadence replied.

"THOU DARETH TO CALL THYSELVES GENERALS OF THE ROYAL GUARD? THOU ARN'T FIT TO COMMAND A FILLY SCOUT TROOP!" Luna roared, her Royal Canterlot Voice echoing through the palace. Some of the Councilponies tried to protest yet Luna would hear none of it, "WE BELIEVED THY BOASTS ABOUT GENERAL NEIGHAL'S SKILL AS A COMMANDER AND HE HATH FAILED TO DO HIS DUTY. HOW WE EVER LET THOU CONVINCE US TO ALLOW SUCH AN INCOMPETENT TO LEAD OUR FORCES IN THE NORTH IS BEYOND US!"

"My Queen," one of the councilponies said, "General Neighal only had the safety of the Dynasty and the capital in mind One must remember that his brilliant defense of Canterlot twenty years ago..."

"WAS AGAINST A PACK OF IGNORANT DOGS," Luna roared, "AND STILL THOU DARETH TO CLAIM HE WAS WORTHY OF LEADING OUR FORCES INTO BATTLE?"

"Please Highness we had no way of knowing," a general said.

"No way of knowing," Luna replied, "NO WAY OF KNOWING DID ANY OF THY INCOMPETENTS READ GENERAL NEGHIAL'S PLANS BEFORE REQUESTING THAT WE APPROVE HIS APPOINTMENT?" The councilponies and the generals remained silent.

"We thought so, thou art like all Canterlot elites," Luna continued. "parasites who only care about thy rank and status. Does thou know we are now defending the lands between Shiregrad and Ponyville with only a handful understrength Guard divisions made up of half trained, half armed troops and a few militia and police divisions?" the Generals and Councilponies remained silent.

"We should sendeth all of thee to the guillotine," Luna continued, "but we fear that to do so would only insult the guillotine."

“Highness, we could form a new defense line,” a general tried to say.

“SILENCE,” Luna replied, cutting the pony off, “THY HATH DONE ENOUGH. CONSIDER THYSELVES DISMISSED FROM THE COUNCIL AND FROM OUR SERVICE.” The councilponies and generals fell silent, no pony. Not the Empresses of old, nor the early Alicorn Queens had dared to remove members of the Council.

“Highness,” one of the generals said, “you’re tired please allow….”

“GET OUT OF OUR SIGHT,” Luna replied, “GET OUT OF OUR PALACE AND NEVER RETURN.”

From his spot at the doors, Shining Armor felt his heart sink. When he left the Celestia Line there had been over 100 divisions from all across the Northern Provinces, including four companies of the elite Stalliongrad Guard Division, manning it. Luna's claim that now there were nothing more than the newly formed divisions, village militias and police defending the routes to Canterlot and Ponyville confirmed his worse fears. Neighal's offensive had failed and the Celestia Line had been breached. The Covenant were advancing on the capital and Ponyville almost unchecked.

The door to the throne room suddenly burst open, and the councilponies and generals slowly filed their way out,

"It is outrageous," another councilpony said, "The constitution states that the Council is elected by the Ponies of the Provinces and Cities and can’t be removed until their terms of service are completed. The Queen has no right to dismiss a Councilpony." Shining Armor couldn't help but smile a little, knowing many of those on the Council and in the Guard High Command deserved to be stripped of their titles and dismissed. The Queen had shown them mercy by only reliving them of their titles and duty. However it made his job all the more difficult as now he would have to replace the dismissed Generals, and quality officers were few and far between.

"Supreme General Shining Armor, Crown Princess Mi Amori Cadenceia of the Crystal Empire," an Immortal said, getting Shining Armor's attention, "Queen Luna will see you now." Shining Armor gulped as he made his way into the throne room, followed by his wife. For as long as Shining could remember Luna had been a source of fear among ponykind: Nightmare Moon, the Demon Princess, the Nightmare of Equestria, and the Black Mare all had been names affixed to Luna in the years following her failed rebellion. Upon the golden throne, the symbol of the Empresses of the old Empire and the Queens of the Alicorn Dynasty, sat a large jet black Alicorn with a flowing star filled, dark blue mane.

"We hath been expecting thee Supreme General," Luna said, as she shifted back to her normal form, "Forgive our use of our "other self," but we had to be firm with the Generals and Councilponies."

"So I've notice majesty," Shining Armor said, bowing.

"We are sure thou hath heard the reports of the failure of General Neighal's offensive," Luna replied.

"Indeed majesty," Shining Armor replied, "is it as bad as it seems?"

"The line has fallen and the enemy tis advancing on Canterlot," Luna said, with a heavy sigh.

"What are we to do highness," Shining Armor asked. "True the remaining Guard, Militia and Police forces will resist, as required by their oaths. But they're hopelessly outmatched. Unless we send reinforcements and supplies I believe they can only hold out a few days."

"Tis one option left," Luna replied. "Ye are to report to Ponyville and assume joint command of a newly raised Guard Division."

"Majesty I'm afraid I don't follow," Shining Armor inquired, "I've heard nothing about a new division being formed."

"Ye has heard that we have made contact with a second alien faction," Luna said, "one willing to offer aid against the Covenant."
"Only the rumors," Shining Armor replied, "much of the Canterlot nobility aren't too keen on an alliance with outside forces. Even with the enemy baring down on the capital."

"These Humans though have experience fighting the Covenant," Luna continued,
"Experience our Royal Guard lacks." Shining Armor let out a low growl. True Luna was his superior, but as far as he was concerned not even the Queen could talk about the Royal Guard in such a manner.

"Still," Luna continued, "though we have an alliance, trust between our two peoples is tense at best. Hence why we have decided ye shall serve as joint commander of this new division alongside the Human leader."

"Me," Shining Armor asked, confused, "Highness if I may speak, my duty is here in Canterlot."

"Ye are our most trusted General," Luna replied, "we need someone we can fully trust to serve in this position." Shining Armor remained silent for a few moments, he'd only just returned from the front, and now the Queen was asking him to once again leave for action.

"With all due respect highness," Shining Armor replied, "If I am to report to Ponyville who then will assume command of the Canterlot Garrison? Surely not..." Luna cut Shining Armor off.

"General Neighal hasn't reported back," Luna replied, "however we promise thee the Canterlot Garrison will be in safe hooves."

"Majesty," Shining Armor inquired, "Whose hooves are you talking about exactly?" At that moment Shining Armor caught a glimpse of a snow white Unicorn with his left fore leg in a sling and a patch over his eye. Even with his injuries, Shining recognized the Unicorn's red star cutie mark.

"Winter Storm," Shining Armor said, as he raced to embrace his former commanding officer.

"It's been too long Shining," Winter Storm replied, before saluting, "Sorry Supreme General."

"I thought you were dead. How did you get out of Baltimare?" Shining Armor asked. It was at that moment Winter Storm froze, the look to his face reflecting sorrow and regret.

"I was among the last to make it to the train depot after the enemy crossed the Jade River," Winter Storm said, lowering his head, "I was supervising loading evacuees onto one of the last trains leaving Baltimare when a shell from one of the enemy's artillery pieces struck the platform. After that all I remember is waking up on the refugee train surrounded by the wounded and the dead, and heard the news Baltimare had fallen.” Before Shining Armor had a chance to form a reply, Luna interrupted them.

"Supreme General," Luna said, "thou will have plenty of time to catch up after thy mission."

"Forgive me highness," Shining Armor said, bowing, yet before he had a chance to finish his statement, Cadence suddenly cut him off.

"Cousin if Shining Armor is going to Ponyville," Cadence said, "then I'm going with him." Shining Armor tried to protest, but Cadence wouldn't hear it. Luna however simply gazed at Cadence.

"Nay Cadence," Luna replied, "ye are now our heir if ye should...." Cadence cut her cousin off.

"I am also ruler of the Crystal Empire," Cadence said, raising her voice, "If I can't protect my own subjects then I have no right to call myself Crown Princess of Equestria."

"Ye’s first duty is to the Dynasty," Luna replied. A determined gaze crept over Cadence's face.

"You're one to talk about duty cousin," Cadence said, "the people are suffering and dying while you remain hold up here in the palace surrounded by the capital garrison. The people need to know their Queen is behind them. But if the Queen refuses to show her face, then at least the people will know their Crown Princess is willing to fight and if needed die beside them."

With that both Cadence and Shining Armor took their leave. Luna hung her head, as she turned to face one of the portraits that lined the throne room. It was a painting of her and Celestia, clad in gold and dark blue armor and fighting off King Sombra's undead legions. As she looked at the painting, memories filled her mind. Memories of the Battle of Crystalus in the Crystal Empire and how the two of them finally toppled the tyrannical necromancer. Memories of how it was the last time they would fight side by side.

"Ye don't understand Cadence," Luna said to herself. "We are not Celestia."

Location: Canterlot Train Depot, an hour later

The depot had taken the brunt of the recent Covenant bombing raids, craters from plasma missiles pot marked the area around the depot. Much of the main terminal had been leveled by the bombings. The main train yard had also taken heavy damage from the attacks. Shattered trains littered the yard, while the repair shops worked day and night to get the trains that could be repaired back into service. The few trains that were still able to make runs had been commandeered by the Guard to serve as troop trains. Royal Guards and police surrounded the depot 24/7 with orders to halt any non-essential trains from either entering or leaving the capital or any non-military pony from using the depot.

"Halt," one of the guards said, pointing his spear into the rain soaked darkness.

"Stand down Sergeant," Shining Armor said, as he and Cadence emerged into the dim torch light.

"Excellency’s," the guard said, snapping to attention.

"At ease Sergeant," Shining Armor replied, "When is the next train for Ponyville departing?"

"A supply train is leaving at midnight sir," the guard said. "however I've got orders from headquarters that only authorized Ponies or those with priorities from command are permitted to use the trains."

"I appreciate your dedication soldier," Shining Armor replied, removing a piece of paper from a pocket on his uniform, "but I have orders from Queen Luna herself to report to Ponyville to assume command of the Ponyville Guard Division." The Guard scanned over the order form.

"Track 30," the guard replied, saluting, "and good luck sir." Shining Armor returned the guard's salute, as he and Cadence made their way into the bombed out main terminal. The supply train was one of the few trains still in the depot, it consisted mostly of troop cars, storage cars, which had been filled with grains, flour, and other supplies, and flat cars loaded with catapults, balistias and other heavy machinery, all destined for either Ponyville or one of the cities or towns facing the Covenant army further north.

"Cadence," Shining Armor said, as they approached the train. "I'm asking you to reconsider. If anything..." Cadence simply shot her husband a smile, as she boarded the train.

"Shining," Cadence said, "You know you never win these arguments."

Location: Ponyville Train Station, Free Territories, the next day

The Ponyville train station was one of the few stations between Shiregrad and Canterlot still intact. Some believed that because Ponyville was so small compared to the other towns and villages in the area around the capital, the Covenant viewed it as nothing more than a backwater. Some even hoped that the Covenant would bypass Ponyville all together, or if the Covenant did arrive the Humans would be able to provide the Guard Divisions with much needed backup in battle.

For Shining Armor and Cadence, arriving in Ponyville was a refreshing change of pace from the capital. The entire train ride had been devoted to understanding what little Ponykind knew about the Humans since their arrival, mostly their ranks, and proper greetings.

When they first stepped off the train, they were greeted by cheers from the public. With smiles on their faces, Cadence and Shining Armor made their way to the far end of the platform, where Mayor Mare and a small Honor Guard were waiting to great them.

"Highnesses," the gray haired mayor said, bowing before the Royal couple. "It is a great honor."

"Please Madame Mayor," Shining Armor replied, motioning for her to stand, "there's no need to bow. These days we're all Ponies."

"If you please Madame Mayor," Cadence added, "we would like to inspect the Ponyville and Cloudsdale Divisions."

"Of course highnesses," the mayor replied, motioning for them to follow her, "If you'll just come with me. We have transportation waiting." Shining and Cadence nodded as the mayor and the guards escorted them from the platform, to a waiting UNSC transport Warthog. Outside the transport stood two UNSC Marines in full combat gear, chatting with each other.
"So what have you heard about the Pony General," one of the Marines asked.

"Same as everyone else," the other replied, "He's Twilight's older brother, Crown Prince of some empire in the north and commander in chief of the Pony military."

"Sounds like another big wig who bought his post," the first Marine said, laughing.

"I'll have you know," Shining Armor added, getting the attention of the two Humans, "I started out as a Cadet like any other member of the Guard."

"So you must be," Shining Armor cut the marine off.

"Supreme General Shining Armor," Shining Armor said, "Former Captain of the Immortals Imperial Guard Regiments and commander in chief of all Equestrian forces."

"You're bragging again," Cadence whispered, nudging Shining Armor in the side. She then turned her attention to the two Marines. "I trust your commander has been briefed on my husband's arrival."

"Mam," Cadence cut the Marine off before he had a chance to finish his statement.

"I happen to be the second in line for the throne," Cadence said, as a smile crept over her face, "I trust you Humans know how to properly address Royalty."

"Highness," the Marine continued, "Admiral McAffee is awaiting your husband's presence back at base."

"Nice to see I'm expected," Shining Armor replied, as he scanned around. "I don't see much in the way of defenses here why is that?"

"We've got the engineers out in that forest to the north," the Marine replied, "digging trench lines."

"At least things are getting done," Shining Armor said, as he helped Cadence into the back of the transport, "I trust you'll get us to the base in a timely manner."

"General the Corps keeps its word," the Marine replied, as he and his comrade boarded the Warthog.

Location: Camp Cole, Sweet Apple Acres, Free Territories

The Division had been up since 3:00 in the morning and as the days had gone by, the Humans had increased the amount of work and exercise the Ponies would have to do. In addition to the time they spent on the Midway learning about the Covenant and their history with the Humans. Their runs were now up to over 2 miles, a day, plus marches more obstacles had been added to the obstacle courses, and the only Ponies permitted to leave training were the members of the Engineering Corps who'd been assigned to dig defensive lines in White Tail Wood.

"These Humans are brutes," Rarity whined, as G-Company finished its latest workout: a mile run followed by a mixture of push-ups and sit-ups, followed by a second mile run.

"Listen up G-Company," a Human officer said, "Orders from the top. The Division is to report to the parade ground at 1400. Until then get some rest. Dismissed." The ponies couldn't help but let out a collective sigh of relief, the next scheduled training exercise had been a five-mile march to and from a series of large hills on the outskirts of Ponyville, in full gear.

"How do these Humans do it?" Thunderlane inquired as he collapsed in a heap.
1400 hours came quicker than the Ponies of G-Company had wanted, for many it had seemed their rest period was over quicker than it should. Reluctantly they gathered with the rest of the Division. With the exception of the Human commanding officer none knew the reason for the sudden orders to report to the parade ground. Rumors were already spreading about possible deployment to the north and some of the more gung ho guardsponies and marines were already fantasizing about-facing the enemy in battle.

"1st JPH Officer on the Deck," Rhodes shouted, as the division snapped to attention. To the shock of all the Ponies gathered the two Ponies who emerged from the waiting transport were none other than Supreme General Shining Armor and Princess Cadence themselves.

"Oh thank Celestia," Rarity said, with a smile to her face, "Somepony who understands us." Smiles crept over the faces of all the gathered Ponies as the two royals made their way past. It had been the first time since contact had been made with the Humans that any of the Guard's highest ranking officers or a Royal had visited Ponyville.

"Shining Armor thank Celestia you're here," Rarity said, as she ran up to Shining Armor.

"PRIVATE RARITY RETURN TO FORMATION," Rhodes shouted, however Rarity simply ignored him.

"You have no idea what these brutes are doing to us," Rarity continued.

"Enlighten me," Shining Armor said, eying Rhodes with a stern gaze.

"They've been pushing us to the limit of our endurance," Rarity whined, "two mile runs every morning, obstacle courses not even the Wonderbolts could do without falling in the mud and only a few minutes for water. And worst of all we can't even get the latest fashion news from Canterlot."

"You know you're right Rarity that doesn't seem right," Shining Armor replied, for a few moments Rarity expected Shining Armor to discipline the Human Gunnery Sargent accordingly.

"You should be doing 5 mile runs in full pack," Shining Armor said, "and there needs to be more obstacles on those courses. As for the fashion news, you'll survive without it." Rarity didn't know how to respond, however Shining Armor wasn't finished. "Division because of Private Rarity's outburst you will be running up that," Shining Armor pointed to a large hill three miles away from the farm, "full pack till I return, three miles up three miles down," he then turned his attention to Sgt. Rhodes.

"Sergeant," Shining Armor said, as Rhodes stepped forward. Even though Rhodes wasn't looking forward to having a Pony General at base camp, and was looking forward to actually having to take orders from him even less. He was impressed with Shining Armor's take-charge attitude.

"How would you recommend disciplining Private Rarity for disobeying your orders?" Shining Armor inquired.

"Latrine duty one month sir," Rhodes replied. "For her and her company."

"Sounds fair," Shining Armor said, as he turned to face a still shocked Rarity, "WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE PRIVATE REJOIN YOUR COMPANY THIS INSTANT," he then turned his attention to the entire Division, "WHAT ARE YOU FILLIES WAITING FOR? YOU GOT YOUR ORDERS YESTERDAY. LUNA'S NOT MOVING THE SUN ANY SLOWER MAGGOTS LETS MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!" Nearly every pony in the division let out a loud moan, but fearing further repercussions commenced their run.

"Don't you think you were being too harsh," Cadence inquired, "after all Rarity is our friend?" Shining Armor sighed.

"She's one mare," Shining Armor replied, "in war one mare or stallion who steps out of line or doesn't follow orders puts all in danger. I won't have that on my conscious any more than I do now," he turned his attention back to Sgt. Rhodes, "I believe your Admiral is expecting me."

"Expecting a Pony General yes," Rhodes said, eying Cadence, "But not spoiled Pony Princesses."

"Cadence is with me Sergeant," Shining Armor replied, "and you will treat her with respect."

"Of course," Rhodes said, with a hint of sarcasm, "Admiral McAffee is on the bridge, and if her majesty has no objections the robots will escort you."

Location: Bridge of the UNSC Midway, Camp Cole, Ponyville Free Territories

Deltas II and IV lead Shining Armor and Princess Cadence to the bridge. Upon entering, the first thing they were greeted by was a familiar purple unicorn.

"SHINING," Twilight shouted, as she raced to her brother's arms.

"Twily," Shining Armor replied, embracing his sister, "thank Celestia you're safe."

"I thought you were dead," Twilight said, her thoughts suddenly turned to her parents, "What about mom and dad? Are they safe?"

"They're fine," Shining Armor replied, "They've been helping with the refugees filling the poorer sections of the city." Twilight's face lit up, the news her family was safe was the first good news she'd received in weeks.

"Don't I get a hello," Cadence said, stepping out from behind Shining Armor.

"CADENCE," Twilight said, happily.

"Sunshine, sunshine," the two chanted in unison, "Ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake." The two sister-in-laws couldn't help but giggle, even earning a few laughs from some of the Human bridge crew and marine guards.

"I take it you must be General Shining Armor," McAffee said, looking up from the holotable in front of him.

"Supreme General Admiral," Shining Armor replied, resuming a straight face, "Now what I want to know is why training of this division has been so slow?"

"Unlike you Supreme General," McAffee replied, returning to the map, "I have to deal with two different cultures. A lot of ponies are blaming us for this war," Shining Armor cut him off.

"It is your fault this war even began," Shining Armor replied.

"As I told your Queen," McAffee continued, "it wasn't our intent to spread our war with the Covenant to your planet. They made a blind jump when we attacked them. It was a fluke that they found your world. However right now I'm more concerned about correcting that mistake instead of fixing blame." Before Shining Armor had a chance to form a reply, he was once again cut off. This time by Captain Ryan.

"Sir," Ryan said, getting McAffee's attention, "Radar's picked up a Covenant Phantom landing just outside the northern forest." Shining Armor's face lit up. Ever since his recall he'd been waiting for a chance to even the score with the Covenant.

"Admiral," Shining Armor said, "have three companies ready for deployment to White Tail Wood." McAffee remained silent. From what he'd heard around the camp Shining Armor, despite his youth, was a talented and capable commander. He had been the only Pony commander that had actually halted the Covenant's advance and held out. But he'd also resorted to the same trench warfare tactics that had sent millions to their deaths in the Human’s First World War: mass infantry assaults against a well-entrenched and fanatical enemy.

In his experience three things were the key to victory: intelligence, knowing where the enemy was and moving, Stealth: moving your own forces without being seen and finally surprise: ambushes, booby traps, snipers even emerging from a fog bank, anything that caught the enemy off guard and destroyed its' greatest strength: its discipline. When all three came together victory was assured, losing one meant victory was harder to achieve, but losing all three meant defeat was assured.

However McAffee couldn't really blame Shining Armor for his decisions. Equestria from what he'd been told hadn't had a full scale war since a one year civil war between Celestia and a corrupted Luna. It was only natural for the Guard to have been trained and retrained to re-fight their last major war.

"With all due respect," McAffee replied, crossing his arms, "we haven't done a full ground sweep of that forest yet. For all we know that Phantom might be resupplying an entire Covenant regiment. Or it might be nothing more than a lost scout ship that landed due to mechanical problems."

"A regiment or not we're soldiers of the Royal Guard," Shining Armor said, with a hint of anger to his voice, "we'll fight to the death to defend our Queen and kingdom." McAffee hung his head.

"I know what you're trying to do Supreme General and I understand," McAffee replied, sighing.

"No you don't Human," Shining Armor said, with a hint of anger to his voice.

"Yes I do," McAffee replied, "I know what it's like to do all you can and yet still be defeated, and disgraced. I found out the hard way that using surprise, intelligence and stealth can win more battles then brute force. The Covenant are fanatics, their army is motivated and disciplined, break either one and you can have victory." Shining Armor remained silent. Every fiber of his being told him to ignore McAffee and order the strike himself. “Shining,” Cadence said, getting her husband’s attention, “weren’t you the one who once said that there are times when an officer should listen to voices of experience?” Shining Armor fell silent. There was truth to what Cadence was saying.

"What do you propose?" Shining Armor inquired

"A scouting mission," McAffee replied, "the forest is too dense for our scanners, and sending up a Longsword risks alerting the Covies. So it'll have to be done on foot."

"Who do you propose for this?" Shining Armor asked

"Three of Delta Squad and three ponies who know the lay of the land," McAffee replied. It was at that moment that Twilight cut in.

"In that case Admiral," Twilight said, eying her brother, "I..."

"You already have an assignment," Shining said, "Liaison between Equestria and the Humans."

"I know but," Twilight said.

"I'm sorry Twily," Shining Armor said, "but you're too valuable to risk." Twilight hung her head.

"Too valuable," Twilight said, with tears in her eyes, "all of my friends are going to be seeing action. It's not right that I can't go with them."

"And that's a good thing," Shining Armor replied, wiping the tears from his sister's eyes, "there are other Unicorns that can handle this assignment." Twilight simply sighed.

"Yeah but I'm the finest Magic User in all of Equestria," Twilight replied, "I would be of more use out there with the Guard then here."

"I know how you feel Twilight," Shining Armor said, putting his hoof on his sister's shoulder, "I know what it's like to be eager to see action," he sighed, "I still remember my first deployment. Diamond Dog raiders attacking Celestiaberg, and the Canterlot Division was sent to reinforce the garrison. I went into that fight all gung ho, sure that being a Royal Guard made me immune to harm. I got careless, forgot to raise my protection spell and took a spear to the side, which left me in the hospital for weeks. While I was recovering I found out ten members of my brigade had been killed in the raid." Twilight turned away, true she felt sorry for what her brother had been through, deep down she knew that all he wanted was to protect her.

"Shining," Twilight said, taking her brother's hoof in her own, "I'm as much a Guard now as you. I have every right to protect my country and planet as you do."

"Even if it means taking a life?" Shining Armor inquired. Twilight froze, unable to form a reply. It was a question she knew was coming but had no idea how to answer.

"Shining," Twilight replied, trying to form a reply, "I'll do whatever it takes to defend my friends and Equestria. Even if it means taking a life."

"I'm sorry Twilight but my answer remains, and as your commanding officer my decision is final," Shining Armor said, turning away from his sister. "Now Admiral I would suggest..." McAffee cut him off before he had a chance to finish his sentence. He'd spent enough time in the military to know a good commander, and a good soldier. Shining Armor was definitively both, however at the moment he was making a decision more with his heart then his head.

"I've already decided," McAffee said, eying Twilight, "Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Twilight will accompany Lt. 201 and Delta Squad into White Tail Wood." Shining Armor was silent.

"I know what you're going to say Supreme General," McAffee continued, crossing his arms, "Trust me when I say all you're doing is prolonging the inevitable."

"How would you know," Shining Armor replied, "She doesn't have the experience as a member of the Canterlot Guard Division."

"I know because I have a son and daughter on the front," McAffee said, "Tell me are there any Stallions or Mares from the Canterlot Guard here?" Shining Armor hesitated for a moment.

"No but there are plenty of other Unicorns," Shining Armor replied.

"Who have no experience in combat," McAffee said, keeping his eyes fixated on the Unicorn.

"Then I'll go," Shining Armor replied.

"You may be good," McAffee said, "but you're also a Prince and Equestria's Supreme General, and one of the last competent Generals remaining so I’m told. I may not know much about the Royal Guard but I know if anything happens to you it would be more damaging then if something happened to Twilight," he paused for a minute, "I'll take full responsibility if anything should happen to Twilight or her friends."

“You have no clue how important she or her friends are to Equestria itself,” Shining Armor replied, “Losing even one of them will result in a far greater disaster then just losing me.”

“We all take risks,” McAffee replied, “and like I’ve said I’ll take responsibility for whatever happens.” Shining Armor gazed at Twilight for a brief moment before returning his glance to McAffee.

"Indeed you shall," Shining Armor replied, without even turning to face his counterpart.

"Thank you BBBFF," Twilight said, as she embraced her brother, "I pinkie promise I won't let either you or the Admiral down."

"Just," Shining Armor replied, sighing, "just come back alive."

Location: Outside UNSC Midway, Camp Cole

Twilight leaned against the side of the massive cruiser sharpening her spear. With the exception of the four SPARTANS she was the only other member of the scouting force that had arrived at the rendezvous on time, an action she took great pride in. However Rainbow and Fluttershy were at least five minutes late, something she took great annoyance in.

"GAH," Twilight shouted, "what's taking RD and Fluttershy so long? The Covenant could be on Ponyville's doorstep right this second and they're probably goofing around or chasing butterflies." No sooner had Twilight begun her rant she was interrupted by the sight of Rainbow Dash approaching from out of the distance, clenching Fluttershy's tail in her mouth.

"Sorry," Rainbow grunted, as she tugged on Fluttershy's tail, "We're late, had to get Fluttershy to come out from hiding." Fluttershy simply remained silent as she tried to race back to her hiding place.

"Come on Fluttershy," Dash said, groaning, "We finally got orders to go kick some Covenant butt."

"Got orders yes," Fluttershy replied, as she clung to the ground with all her might, "there's nothing in the Royal Guard Handbook that says I can’t stay locked in my closet with my teddy bear."

“Actually Fluttershy,” Twilight said, levitating over a copy of the manual, “Section 7 Paragraph 3 subsection 12 line 2: Members of the Royal Guard shall not hide in their closets, with their teddy bears.” Fluttershy just sighed.

“Wow, oddly specific,” Rainbow said.

Twilight then turned her attention towards the SPARTANS. The SPARTANS simply remained silent, some sharpened their combat knives others were cleaning their pistols, battle rifles or assault rifles in anticipation for combat.

"So," Twilight said, trying to get 201s attention, "what's with the grudge some of the other Humans have towards you?"

"It's complicated," was all 201 said.

"But you're all Humans right," Twilight inquired.

"We're not Human in the traditional sense," 201 replied, sighing, "we were kidnapped as children subjected to the most brutal training imaginable, then genetically and mechanically augmented to physical perfection. Trained to obey orders to the letter," He paused as the memories of that horrible day on Eridanus II came back to him, of how his superior eager to kill Insurrectionists, even when there was no proof the locals were affiliated with the traitors. The face of the preacher pleading with him not to listen that his wife and daughter were in the cellar hiding from the fighting and how he'd been forced into the Insurrectionists. All 201 remembered after that was tossing the grenade into the cellar, and the aftermath. Seeing his commander cheering that two more rebels were dead, yet all he could see were the mangled corpses of a woman and a young girl clutching her most prized possession a small teddy bear given to her by her father that very day as a birthday present. He remembered the look of that preacher, the hatred in his eyes. All he could do was turn away, he knew full well he deserved every ounce of hatred that man felt for him. But it was nothing compared to how much he hated himself after that incident.

"Lieutenant," Twilight inquired, snapping 201 out of his trance, "are you alright?"

"Don't ask fräulein," 201 snapped, "just don't ask. All you must know is that the others see us as just mindless robots, programed to obey orders until we save their lives and lose our own in the process, and there are times I feel they're right."

"Why would you say that?" Twilight said, curiously.

"We SPARTANS have done a lot," 201 replied, lowering his head in disgust, "that we're not proud of. There are plenty of rumors of SPARTANs going berserk and killing their own men. Developing god complexes," he paused for a moment, "But my duty, no the duty of all of Delta Squad is to bring this war to an end."

"You know," Twilight added, "Queen Luna has the ability to alter dreams maybe she can remove that painful..." 201 cut her off.

“Now really isn’t the time,” 201 replied, “We have a mission.”

"Rules of engagement," Delta III inquired.

"Primary objective is two-fold," 201 replied, "First to ensure the safety of the three Ponies accompanying us on this mission. Second locate and map the location of any Covenant troop movements or base camps, and let the fly boys and fly horses," Rainbow Dash suddenly cut him off.

"The Cloudsdale Guard Division isn't a bunch of "fly horses," Dash said, "We're the finest Pegasai Guards in the entire Royal Guard. Well, next to the Wonderbolts of course." 201 hung his head.

"As I was saying," 201 continued, "the flyboys and fly horses will knock out the base camps and troop concentrations. Primary focus should be on leadership, heavy weapons, artillery, transports, and above all air support. That means primary targets are Elites, Hunters, Shades, Wraiths, Phantoms, Banshees and anything that looks like it could carry troops or weapons. Secondary objective is to map any possible routes the enemy could use to bring their heavy weapons to bare on Ponyville, or out flank the village. Tertiary objective kill as many Covenant as possible. Am I clear?" The SPARTANS responded in unison with a simple "Yes Sir."

Location: Covenant Forward Operating Base: Holy Trinity, northern edge of White Tail Wood

"Any more news from our scouts," Thel grumbled, as yet another section of forest was set ablaze. Thel couldn’t help but feel a twinge of regret at having to burn a place that had such pristine beauty. To Thel White Tail Wood reminded him of the lush forests and parries described by many Sangheili poets and philosophers in the days before the Writ of Union forced them into the Covenant’s ranks.

"Nothing new Shipmaster," a Sangheili Officer replied, kneeling before Thel, "The mountainous terrain in the southern part of the forest is too treacherous for our heavier machines, and the forest itself is too dense for the Wraiths to move through without debris clogging their repulser lifts and intakes." Thel hung his head, they were already dangerously behind schedule as is. The only good news they had received was that the repairs to the carrier's anti-air weapons had been completed, and the capture of a large number of Heretics to bolster their labor force. However unless they began to receive reinforcements and spare parts their offensive on Canterlot would soon peter out.

"Has it said anything about a way around this accursed forest," Thel inquired, facing a second Sangheili officer.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie," a familiar voice said, from behind, "doesn't know of any other routes around White Tail Wood large enough for us to advance, and Trixie would appreciate it if you would start calling her by her name" Thel didn't even bother looking at the blue Unicorn. In his eyes she was a traitor to her kind, the worst dishonor one could bring upon ones name. If it had been up to him Thel would've had her executed long ago. It was only his brother's interference that stayed his hand.
“Your kind don’t deserve the honor of having a name,” Thel replied, coldly, “least of all one who has chosen to dishonor themselves as you have.”, Thel turned to face the rest of his officers, "Finish the current burn," then get the crews back to base and deploy the advanced guard. Also keep me informed of any new reports from the scouting parties or any of the troops we sent around the mountains."

"Yes shipmaster," one of the officers replied, saluting. The area around White Tail Wood was primarily mountainous, with only a large pass connecting Ponyville to the north. The pass was wide enough for the Covenant army to pass through, but only as a tight column. Normally they would only move at night but given the tight schedule, they were forced to move during the day. As a result all anti-air Wraith crews were on 24 hour alert with orders to shoot down anything that flew.

"I still find it hard to believe," Thel said, to himself as his thoughts turned to the forces he’d sent around the pass. "That there's only one way through this accursed forest." The terrain had been playing havoc with the Covenant's communication systems so he had no way of knowing for sure if his column had been spotted or if they'd located another way around White Tail Wood that would get them out of the pass they were currently in.

Within the camp life had settled to routine, the various Covenant races speaking to each other about the upcoming assault on Ponyville and what kind of resistance to expect. Yet it was a shout from the far side of the camp that caught Thel's attention.

"Filthy Heretic," a Sangheili warrior snarled, as his armored fist struck the Earth Pony in the side of its left hind leg, breaking it. The Earth Pony was one of the many slaves the Covenant forces had brought along to help clear paths; this one had made the mistake of wondering out of the designated slave area. Chants of heretic and kill began echoing throughout the camp. As rage filled the Sangheili's eyes as his energy sword roared to life. Yet just as he was about to deliver the final blow, he felt something grab his arm.

"Hey Shipmaster," the Sangheili said, "come to join the fun?" Thel didn't reply, instead he punched the Sangheili in the face.

"Know this," Thel growled, "Sangheili gain honor and salvation on the field of battle against a worthy enemy, and because of this little exchange we're now down one heretic to work clearing paths through the forest meaning it will take us longer to reach our objective then it need be." The Sangheili remained silent.

"Those who seek to pick fights like rabid dogs have no place on the Great Journey," Thel continued, his gaze hardening, "Have I made myself clear Sargent?"

"Yes sir," the Sangheili grumbled. Thel turned and walked away, just at that moment he heard the sounds of yet another fight. Making his way over to a crowd of Sangheili, Kig-Yar and Unggoy who had gathered around one of the stopped Wraiths. In the midst of the crowd, Thel spotted two red armored Sangheili fighting each other. The crest on one of the fighter's helmet was all Thel needed to confirm his suspicions, a Zealot.

"COWARD," The Zealot shouted, as he smashed the jaw of the rival Sangheili, shattering two of his mandibles, "YOU DARE CALL YOURSELF SANGHEILI LET ALONE A SOLDIER OF THE HOLY FIRE?"

'Typical Zealot. The kind of Sangheili who would kill his own clan if the Hierarchs ordered it,' Thel thought to himself. Fights like this were becoming more and more common amongst the Sangheili troops. Not just here but all across the Empire, especially after being stuck on the front for so long. Yet just as Thel was about to take his leave, he saw the Zealot draw his energy sword. As the Zealot raised the blade to strike the final blow, Thel grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"Shipmaster get out of my way," the Zealot snarled. Thel remained silent, as he twisted the Zealot's arm, breaking his grip on his energy sword. Before throwing him to the ground.

"Shipmaster why did you stop me from executing the coward?" the Zealot inquired, "The Hierarchs...."

"Are not here Major," Thel snapped, as he looked as the quivering Sangheili the Zealot had been fighting with, it was clear he had no weapons of any sort. A few seconds later Thel turned his attention back to the Zealot.

"The only coward I see is you Major," Thel said, crossing his arms, "only true heretics would dare desecrate their sacred swords with the blood of unarmed and defenseless enemies. Not only have you brought dishonor to your bloodline, you nearly reduced our fighting power by one. Whether you want to believe it or not, we're short on everything: food, parts, and most importantly soldiers. Until we get the carrier fully operational we can't call in reinforcements or even send out a distress call. Right now we need everyone to pull their weight," Thel turned his attention to the Sangheili the Zealot had been fighting with, "guards escort the major to the front, see to it he helps the Heretics in clearing the forest, and try again to raise the units we sent out."

"Sir," two Sangheili soldiers said, saluting, before leading the enraged Zealot away. Thel however had other things on his mind. He gazed into the eyes of the Sangheili soldier in front of him, he could see it. He'd been on the lines far too long, his mind couldn't take much more.

"Tell me what happened Sargent," Thel said, placing his hand on the Sangheili's shoulder.

"I," The Sangheili replied, trying to hold back tears, "I just can't go on shipmaster. I can't endure this any longer."

"Explain," Thel said.

"Before I left for the front," the Sangheili replied, by now tears were flowing from his eyes, "I found out my wife was expecting our first child."

"How long have you been on the line Sargent?" Thel inquired.

"Five years Shipmaster," the Sangheili replied, "I served the Hierarchs in at least two campaigns against the Humans, and earned my promotion to Sargent for charging that Human artillery battery on Keller Prime. But while we were fighting the Heretics in the North, I was nearly impaled by one of their giant arrows. Then during their final charge they managed to knock out my shield generator. I was lucky I was able to take the Heretic in front of me out before it could spear me. After that the thought has always been in the back of my mind. When will I be able to see my wife and child? When will the killing finally stop? When will the Hierarchs declare this crusade over and let us return to our homes?"

Thel remained silent, he'd been seen this before, especially on long campaigns or near constant fighting. Sangheili, Kig-Yar, Unggoy, even Jiralhanae, all just reaching the limits of what their minds could take. Often all it took was one close call to send them over the edge.


"Have him taken to the rear," Thel ordered, motioning for two Sangheili troopers, "he's earned more than enough honor for now." Thel sighed, this left his advancing army down one more trained soldier. In battle a single soldier could be the difference between victory and defeat, and in the case of the Covenant it meant their forces would be weaker when they finally got through these accursed mountains and forests.

Location: White Tail Wood, a few miles from the Covenant Front Lines

The only sounds the scouting force could hear as they made their way through White Tail Wood, was the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. Ponies and SPARTANS alike had been all but silent since they left the Ponyville Defensive Line. Of all the Humans the Ponies had met the ones known as the SPARTANS had been the most mysterious. They always kept to themselves, silent, almost statue like. Then there was the way the other Humans acted around them. Some, especially Sgt. Rhodes, cursed their very existence while others practically worshiped them.

"Um Lieutenant," Fluttershy said, finally breaking the silence. "Why do you seem to avoid being with any of the other Humans?"

"That's just the way we SPARTANS are," 201 replied, sighing, "also we believe associating with replacement Marines would taint our luck"

"Hence why Delta was able to survive that Covenant assault on the Moons of Ios," Delta II replied. It was at that moment something happened that the Ponies hadn't expected, the SPARTANS began to laugh at Delta II's comment.

"What about you Private," 201 inquired, facing Fluttershy, "why don’t you seem to associate with any other Ponies?" Fluttershy remained silent for a few minutes as if she was trying to repress a memory. All she could remember was screaming, and the throwing of a bottle.

"I…I don't want to talk about it. I…I’m just shy…" Fluttershy replied.

“So what kind of sports do you Humans play,” Rainbow Dash said, trying to change the subject.

"Really?" 201 replied.

"Lieutenant, contact," Delta III said, motioning for the group to get down, "baring 149."

"Friendly?" 201 inquired, raising his assault rifle. The rest of Delta Squad followed suit, while the two Pegasai clenched their spears and Twilight cast a shield spell, waiting for the contact to show. Before Delta III had a chance to respond the contact appeared, a small group of white and gray rabbits emerged from behind some trees.

"Alright lower your weapons," 201 said, as a laugh emerged from the group. "Unless the Covies are recruiting the Easter Bunny I doubt they're much of a threat." However unlike most of the Rabbits the Humans had encountered, these didn't seem to run off. Instead they were pointing and jumping as if trying to get the attention of the Ponies with them.

"Fluttershy you're up," Rainbow Dash said. Slowly Fluttershy made her way forward. She could see the Bunnies were shaking at the sight of the SPARTANS.

"Don't worry little friends," Fluttershy said, as she stroked the fur of one of the bunnies, "They won't hurt you." The SPARTANS looked at each other confused. Was Fluttershy actually talking with the animals, and did the animals actually understand her?
“Fluttershy has always had a way with animals,” Rainbow Dash said, taking notice of the SPARTANS confusion.

"What's he saying Fluttershy?" Twilight inquired.

"He, he says," Fluttershy stammered, her eyes filling with tears, "a huge fire swept through his home. A giant alien holding some sort of shield lighting trees and bushes on fire."

"Hunters," 201 said, still finding it hard to believe an animal could give accurate intelligence on the enemy. Fluttershy didn't respond as she translated 201's message. The response from the rabbit was to point to the northwest.

"Fluttershy," 201 said, "Me and you take point, the rest form up and keep your weapons trained. Most important keep quiet.” Fluttershy let out a loud gulp. There was no way of avoiding it now, she'd have to violate her most sacred rule: she would have to take the life of another living creature. Gazing up at her spear she began wonder if she could muster the courage to do so.

"Fluttershy," 201 said, snapping her out of her trance, "let's move."

"Oh right sorry sir," Fluttershy whimpered, as she followed the rabbit. It felt like an eternity, as the group made its way through the undergrowth. Spears held out in front of them, rifles at the ready. Silence that was the only way to describe the trek, silence broken only by the sound of a shriek then laughter when all involved found it was nothing more than some acorns or dead tree limb falling from a tree. Soon followed by scorn for potentially alerting any Covenant that might have been in the area.

Eventually the bunny stopped at a large hill overlooking what seemed to be a clearing, however the scorch marks on the trees told them a fire had recently burned itself out. 201 motioned for the group to get down low, as to avoid any detection.

"Let's see what we got," Delta II said, zooming in with his HUD, "Looks like they've burned at least 2 miles of forest. In terms of the garrison seen I count at least 2 dozen Elites, primarily Minors and a few Majors, and a mixture of small fries scattered about. Two trench lines covered by Hunters, Wraiths and Ghosts and some Shade turrets posted on some ridges, providing covering fire, with Jackal Snipers providing additional cover, and some nasty hill terrain to boot," suddenly he went silent and turned to Twilight, "and I also counted at least 10 Ponies being used for heavy labor."

Twilight felt her heart leap into her throat. She'd thought the rumors of Ponies being used by the enemy were just that rumors. However when Twilight gazed at Fluttershy she noticed something she'd never seen in the Pony since the infamous "you're going to love me" incident. Her shy peaceful eyes were alight with a combination of sadness and fury, her spear clenched tightly in her hoof. The Covenant, no matter if it was the Humans fault or not that they had come, the Covenant had been setting fire to the forest, the home of her beloved animals for no reason other than it had been a simple nascence in their advance on Canterlot.

"What do you think they're doing," Delta II inquired.

"Likely clearing a path to Ponyville," 201 replied, "guess the trees are too much of an obstacle to move all those Wraiths through, and the brush is likely clogging their repulser lifts."

"What are we going to do about it," Fluttershy inquired, snapping out of her trance, "they're hurting innocent animals. Driving them from their homes. We can't just sit here and do nothing."

"They also control the high ground," 201 said.

"Not to mention they have Ponies as hostages," Twilight added, "we make any move what will stop them from simply killing the Ponies like they've done before?"

"Good question but it seems that they’ve had those Ponies for a while and haven’t killed them," 201 replied, "however our mission is recon, not rescue. So the question now is how to scout an enemy that uses the terrain to their advantage?"
“Best option right now would be to have Dash fly over the camp,” Delta III replied.

"Well what are we waiting for?" Rainbow Dash said,

"No" Twilight replied, calmly, “There’s more to this location then meets the eye."

"Bah," Rainbow scoffed, "you're just too scared to defy orders. Well Rainbow "Danger" Dash isn't."

“Think about it Dash,” Twilight replied, “Why would they need all of that equipment just to protect a few Ponies? Unless they were expecting trouble.” Dash simply rolled her eyes, and was about to take off before Delta II spoke up.

“She’s got a point,” Delta II said.

“What is it,” 201 inquired.

“Anti-Air Wraiths,” Delta II replied, “four of them just came into view.”

“Scheiße” 201 said taking a look through his HUD. As the four Anti-Air Wraiths took up positions near the Shade Turrets. “And they’re likely scouting for Pegasai and any aircraft.”

“Now what sir?” Delta IV replied.

“We come up with Plan B,” 201 said, turning to face Twilight and Fluttershy, “any ideas?”

“Well we could,” however before Twilight could form a response. Rainbow had charged off, screaming like a wild mare.

“THAT’S NOT A PLAN RAINBOW!” Twilight shouted, trying to get Rainbow’s attention.

“PRIVATE DASH HALT THIS INSTANT!” 201 added.
Rainbow simply ignored them, as she headed for a pair of Sangheili standing against one of the Wraiths. Before the Sangheili had a chance to react, Rainbow traveling at such speed and with such force plowed her spear right through the Sangheili's shield and into his neck, coming within a hair of decapitating him.

"Who's next," Rainbow said, eying the second Sangheili. However just as she was about launch her attack a shot rang out from behind, striking her in back. Just as Rainbow hit the ground a third Sangheili, clutching a smoking carbine, decloaked from behind her, followed by a fourth.

"Well well," one of the Sangheili said, grabbing Rainbow by the throat, "What have we here, another of those flying abominations?" Rainbow struggled to break the alien's grip, "Oh and a feisty one at that," suddenly Rainbow heard the unmistakable sound of an Energy Sword roaring to life, "pity really but the Arbiter demands the purification of the winged and horned heretics." It suddenly dawned on Rainbow just what he meant.

"No please," Rainbow pleaded, but there was no mercy to be found in the Sangheili's eyes. He had his orders the horns and wings of the heretics were to be removed and the heretic put to work digging for artifacts or clearing the forest.

Just as he was about to bring it down a shot rang and the Sangheili, having exchanged his shielding device for a cloaking device, was struck in the head by the sniper rifle bullet, shattering his skull and spraying his purple blood all over Rainbow Dash. No sooner had that shot rang out, other Sangheili decloaked. It soon became clear to Rainbow just what she had done, there wasn't just the two Wraith Crewmen but an entire squad of around thirteen Sangheili warriors in the field, and she'd walked right into them without even knowing.

Before Rainbow could react the entire tree line erupted in a blaze of fire, ripping the Sangheili warriors who had revealed themselves to shreds. From the corner of her eye Rainbow could see the second Sangheili on the Wraith fidgeting with the plasma gun, grabbing her blood soaked spear and with all her remaining strength plunged the spear into the throat of the Sangheili trooper. This time however all of her strength was required to allow the spear to break the shield, before penetrating the Sangheili's neck, killing him instantly.

Once they were sure the area was clear Twilight, Fluttershy, and the SPARTANS emerged from the tree line.

"Did you see how..." Rainbow's boost was cut off by the sound of 201’s cold voice.

"You jeopardized this entire mission," 201 said, trying to keep his voice down.

"I was trying to free Ponies the Covenant were using as slaves," Rainbow said.

"As were we," 201 replied, this time the tone of his voice sounding even angrier, "our orders for this mission were recon. Not rescuing prisoners," the SPARTAN looked briefly at the column of Ponies, many bore scares of Covenant torture, and others looked as though they hadn't had a decent meal in months. Thoughts of what the Covenant reinforcements that were surely on the way would do to them ran through his mind, but they didn't have the transportation necessary to get them back and all it would do in the long run would make an already desperate situation in Ponyville worse.

"Orders smorders," Rainbow snapped, "If McAffee and Shining Armor won't step up to the plate and rescue these Ponies I will."

"And how do you propose to get them back to Ponyville," 201 inquired, "or prevent the Covenant from retaliating against other slaves? No prevent the Covenant from tracking us to Ponyville?" Rainbow remained silent, as she felt her heart sink. She may have been the Element of Loyalty but was the loyalty she felt for the few Ponies here worth risking the lives of the 2,000 Ponies in Ponyville?

"I thought so," 201 replied, as he turned to face the others, "gather weapons and ammo we're heading back to Ponyville."

"But what about...." 201 cut Twilight off.

"Expendable," was the only word 201 was willing to say. It was at that moment Twilight and the other Ponies began to understand why Rhodes hated the SPARTANS.

"I'm sorry 201," Twilight said, "but Ponies don't leave one another behind." 201 tried to protest, but Twilight's mind was made up. Scouring the burn site for anything that would aid in transporting the slaves. But there was little outside of the Wraith, and the Wraith was only built for at least six.

"Looks like we're walking," 201 said, "and we'd better get moving before the rest of the welcoming committee shows up.”

"Understand this,” 201 continued, as he turned to face Twilight, “whatever happens to these refugees and whatever they do to Ponyville's already overstretched resources is on your head." Twilight remained silent. Never in her life had another creature spoken to her so bluntly. All the possibilities of what she was intending to do: seventeen refugees protected by three of the Elements of Harmony and Delta Squad marching through a White Tail Wood that for all she knew was crawling with the enemy. Did the risk she was taking outweigh the benefit?

“Nopony gets left behind.” That was rule one, page one of the Royal Guard Handbook…

Location: White Tale Wood, six miles from the Covenant front line, an hour later
. Many of the Ponies rescued from the Covenant encampment were suffering from malnutrition, others bore the scars of Covenant whips and other abuses. As a result many could barely walk and had to be carried by their comrades all of which contributed to the slow pace the group had to travel at.

At the moment the main thing on the minds of Delta Squad wasn't so much the injured Ponies it was the fact the Covenant were further out then they had hoped, which meant Covenant scouting parties had likely penetrated deeper into White Tail Wood then either the UNSC or Equestrian intelligence believed. If they encountered the Ponyville Defense line then the jig would be up and the Covenant would pound Ponyville into rubble, especially when they learned Humans were aiding them.

"What's the status of our supplies?" 201 inquired.

"Five magazines per SPARTAN," Delta III replied, "We've already used up all of our medical supplies, and the little food and water we brought with us is running low."

201 sighed, they'd only brought enough food and medicine for Delta Squad and the three Ponies with them, but the addition of the refugees had pushed their meager resources to the breaking point. The thought crossed 201's mind of leaving the refugees to fend for themselves but he quickly put that out of his mind. Even though he didn’t like having to take the refugees with them. He’d come to admire how determined Twilight and her friends were to see that they reached safety.

"Find Fluttershy," 201 said, "tell her it’s urgent." Delta III saluted and made his way through the crowd of Ponies looking for Fluttershy. 201 however turned his attention to a more pressing matter. By now the Covenant were bound to have search parties scouring the forest looking for the Ponies they'd rescued. 201 knew if the Ponies, or even the three guiding them through the forest fell into the hands of the enemy they'd be executed on the spot. Yet what sent chills up the SPARTAN's spine was that the Covenant had cloaking devices. Something that they’d wielded with great effect
“You wish to see me,” Fluttershy inquired, getting 201’s attention.

"Fluttershy," 201 said, "Do you know of any streams or rivers in this area?" Fluttershy paused for a moment before she remembered the river where Harry the Bear had always gone to fish.

"Yes the White Tail River," Fluttershy said pointing to some rocks, "is just over there," her elation suddenly turned to concern, "why do you need to know?"

"We're low on water," 201 replied, " Many of the refugees need water to clean wounds and rehydrate," he motioned for the SPARTANs to hand over their canteens, before turning to Delta II, "I'm turning over command to you until I get back," he then eyed Twilight, "Make sure she doesn't add to our woes."

"Add to our," Twilight finally said, "what's that supposed to mean?" However by then 201 was out of sight, "GAH sometimes I wonder if this alliance was a good idea."

Location: White Tail River, White Tail Woods, Equestria

201 remained silent, his hands gripping his assault rifle tight. Though the river Fluttershy had mentioned wasn't that far away from the group, as far as he knew they were still a good ways from Ponyville and the Covenant were likely trailing them. However the situation at hand was of immediate concern, without water many of the Ponies they had rescued wouldn't be able to continue on.

201 finally had some time to think about what they had gotten into. All of his training was telling him to leave the refugees, most were already badly wounded. Fluttershy had done the best she could, but she wasn’t a combat medic or a doctor. Even if they did get them back to Ponyville, he wasn't sure they would get medical treatment, and he couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't just be recaptured once the Covenant reached Ponyville.

As 201 began to fill up the canteens, his sensors picked up movement in the bushes behind him, on instinct the SPARTAN reached for his pistol, and slowly made his way towards the bush. Before whatever was hiding there had a chance to react 201 grabbed it, and much to the SPARTAN's surprise it was Fluttershy.

"What are you doing here," 201 inquired, holstering his sidearm.

"I…I thought you'd might like some company," Fluttershy replied, trying her best not to show her fear.

"Fräulein I'm quite capable of fetching water thank you," 201 said, as he turned to resume filling the canteens. However just as 201 reached the edge of the river, his radar began to pick up signs of movement. At least five contacts approaching from the direction of Ponyville. Yet strangely the signals seemed to be flickering in and out.

"W...what is it?" Fluttershy asked, shaking.

"Contacts," 201 said, raising his battlerifle, "Five of them approaching from the east.”

“Could they be Ponies?” Fluttershy inquired.

“I don’t think so,” 201 replied, “judging by the way the signals are flickering I would say they’re Covenant Spec-Ops Troops, likely equipped with cloaks.”." Fluttershy gulped, she remembered the sights she’d seen at the camp. The Elites who were able to appear and disappear. Special Operations troops that was what the Humans tended to call them.

“You should get back to camp,” 201 said. Yet strangely Fluttershy stayed where she was. She didn't know why, maybe it was fear that a larger Covenant force already had the two of them surrounded. Maybe it was the little training she had kicking in, or the desire to make the Covenant pay for what they had done to her animal and Pony friends. Either way Fluttershy just stood there, clenching her spear. Regardless of what he’d thought of the Ponies as soldiers, 201 was extremely impressed at the courage Fluttershy was showing.

"They won't have shields," 201 said, breaking the silence.

"What?" Fluttershy replied.

"The Spec-Ops Covenant," 201 continued, "they won’t have shields. Having both a shield and cloak would drain too much power. So that gives us a little bit of an edge."

"W...What good is that if we can't see them," Fluttershy inquired, trying her best not to panic, “What if they have reinforcements?” 201 didn't respond, as he clenched his weapon tighter. Though SPARTANS were trained never to show fear, Fluttershy could tell from his body movements that 201 was indeed afraid.

“Well then fräulein,” 201 said, breaking the silence, “it’s a good day to die.” Before Fluttershy had a chance to react a shot rang out, striking the tree behind her.

"GET DOWN," 201 shouted, as he fired a few bursts towards the far side of the river. Once he'd stopped firing the entire far bank suddenly erupted. Unleashing a torrent of plasma fire at them. Lasting for what seemed like an eternity, before finally stopping.

"D...Do you think they're gone," Fluttershy inquired. 201 remained silent, as the audio sensors in his helmet picked up the faint sounds of the lance's leader issuing orders for his troops to hold their fire, while he investigated the far side. 201 clenched his rifle tighter, as he waited to ambush the advancing Elite. Suddenly he heard Fluttershy let out a yelp as a star spider raced passed her. No sooner had Fluttershy finished her scream, the distinctive blue blade of the Elite's energy sword suddenly roared to life, just in front of her.

"LOOK OUT," 201 shouted, as he fired another burst towards the energy sword. Though Fluttershy heard 201's warning, she was unable to get out of the way in time. All Fluttershy felt was a sharp pain in her side, as the first rounds 201 fired, tore into her. Screaming in agony, Fluttershy fell to the ground, just in time to see the Elite in front of her de-cloak. The sight of the towering Alien was absolutely terrifying for the yellow Pegasus. The Elite was as tall as 201, clad in dull red armor, with its faced concealed by a helmet, and on its hip was a standard issued Covenant Plasma Rifle.

"P...Please don't," Fluttershy pleaded, but the Elite remained silent, as it raised its energy sword. Eager to add the wings of another abomination to its trophies.

"STAY BACK," Fluttershy screamed. What happened next Fluttershy couldn't explain. All she remembered was shutting her eyes waiting for the energy sword's blade to deliver the final blow. Yet to her surprise all she felt was the sword's heat. When she finally opened her eyes she was surprised to find the Elite just standing there, motionless. His sword just inches from her side. However Fluttershy's gaze remained fixated on the Elite's face, it was frozen in a state that reflected both pain and rage. Her spear sticking out of its chest just below its neckline. Fluttershy couldn't help but feel her heart sink. How had this happened? She didn't even remember raising her spear, let alone plunging it into the body of another living creature. Yet as those questions ran through her mind. The Elite began to grunt and slowly began to raise his energy sword, even in his death throws the Elite was determined to take one more heretic with him before the end. Then just as he was poised to strike the final blow he suddenly froze in place, as a single shot rang out. As the Elite fell to the ground 201 emerged from behind his pistol smoking. From the fair side of the river, both could make out the sounds of the remaining Grunts beginning to panic, and flee at the sight of their fallen leader.

"You okay?" 201 inquired. As he raced to Futtershy’s side Fluttershy didn't respond, her gaze remained focused on the fallen Elite before her. As if she was waiting for him to rise up and take his revenge at any moment.

"Fluttershy," 201 continued, trying to get Fluttershy's attention. Still she didn't respond, "Fluttershy." He slowly put his hand on her shoulder, "You’re hurt we need…”?"

"DON'T TOUCH ME," Fluttershy shouted, as she spun around, her spear pointing at 201. "DON'T COME NEAR ME!!!"

"Listen," 201 said, trying to calm the enraged Pegasus, "put down the spear."

"AND THEN WHAT," Fluttershy said, her eyes now filled with tears, "I SAW WHAT YOU DID. HOW YOU KILLED THAT POOR THING. NO ALL OF THOSE POOR COVENANT AT THAT CAMP, WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT." It was then her gaze began to turn towards the end of her spear. To her horror it was covered in purple blood.

"I....it wasn't a dream," Fluttershy said, as tears began to flow from her eyes, "Oh Celestia what have I done?" With that Fluttershy tossed the spear to the ground, and raced to the fallen Elite’s side. Determined to try and resuscitate him. . Seeing the once intimidating creature lying in its blood, Fluttershy finally saw the Covenant for what they really were. They were living things like Ponies, like Humans, like the Animals. A living thing that didn’t need to die. A living thing whose death she had brought about.

"It's okay," 201 said, as he placed his hand on her shoulder. Still Fluttershy kept trying to resuscitate the fallen Elite, “Fräulein there’s nothing you can do. It’s dead.” Those two words, were the final straw.

"GET AWAY FROM ME," Fluttershy shouted, "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE." With that Fluttershy raced off, back towards the waiting refugee column. 201 just stood there, he really couldn't blame Fluttershy for how she was acting. If he’d been in her place he would probably acted the same way.

Author's Note:

Stay Tuned for Chapter VII: Siege of Ponyville

Comments ( 21 )

:pinkiegasp: UPDATES?! Finally!!!

CLEAR!!!

*zap*

Hold on! We got a pulse! It lives!!!!!!

Wow. How long was it again?

5533610
Longer then I had planed

Ma gawd.... A update!

Oh shit this is still continuing? I thought it was abandoned, well anyway it's awesome chapter....now that I know it's not abandoned I hope there's going to be more awesome chapters.

I've noticed an abnormal amount of errors. However, I also noticed the large word count, so I imagine you couldn't go over and proof-read properly. The dialog, and some scenes doesn't exactly fit the character, Example, in the Shining Armor Drunk scene, the guard would have likely said something like "Sir, are you fit to be presented, sir!?" Also, I'd imagine that Shining Armor would have been embedded into Royal Society enough to understand rushing your wife isn't seen as proper nor refined.

Something I've noticed that was quite abnormal was your evident lack of commas in dialog.

What is the meaning of this!? Unhoof me at once, Private!

Is how I would have executed this line, and I imagine other authors would do something similar.

The massive casualties on the ponies side is realistic, but if this were real, trench warfare would be extremely ineffective and more costly on the defending side. Sure, it's fairly easy to make. But, if a plasma grenade were to be dropped or the obvious Banshee shoots in the trench, I can easily predict an entire section of the trench would be slaughtered. Then, your plan is to throw spears and shoot arrows at them? I'm fairly certain any personal shield unit can endure at least a dozen direct spear hits before fading.

The Covenant is more prepared, as well as being more experienced and armed. I predict the battle would have been like the 7 Hour War. The Black clouds above Canterlot would have only been so effective against controlled bursts of missiles.

The UNSC ship Midway probably doesn't have enough resources, troops, and fire-power to lead an effective counter-assault. So, scavenging any Covenant firearm and modifying it to be securely used by equine forces should be a top priority. And the standard Sangheilian Minor is probably worth at least an entire squad of Marine fighters.

You've also did the typical thing of instantly labeling out ponies involved in politics as hungry wolves and heartless idiots. When one general proposed to form a defensive line again, he's instantly shamed and dismissed. Another moment when practical ideas are thrown out the window to be replaced by less then popular ideas. Or, just to involve the UNSC into the story in a convenient and expectable way.

So, overall, the story is a bit repetitive in some instances, but is brought back up by the bloated sizes of the chapters. 7/10.

I'm sorry man I'm a real stickler for halo lore so sorry if I offend you

First Sargent isn't a rank in the covenant I would say are Sargent would probably be an unltra also elites wouldn't act like that even if you have family back at sangellihos they would keep it private also the shipmaster would almost never unless it's a special occasion come down to the surface also marines never called spartans robots also that planet you said was inhabited by rebels never had a Spartan incursion on it

5536841

It depends what size if it's a frigate than yeah but if its like say an phoenix class or eridnat class which is what the pillar of autumn is than they would

5536841 Wait, I take it back on the proof-read part. I didn't know you had literally an entire year. 5/10.

This story, never ceases to amaze me with each chapter!

On a side note, any chance of a little 117 cameo? Or would that be too typical for a halo crossover fic?

5609607 IMO he appears too often in fan fiction.

5536841 I think that is the best way of describing it.

And: Nobody ever uses Fräulein in Germany. Never. (Only exception: old jokes.)
I do not know about the usage of it in Austria or Switzerland, but here, where I live, it is an old word not even my grandmother uses.

But we use "Scheiße" several times a day to express frustation :twilightsmile:

Nice story, not so nice grammar. 7/10
Without grammar mistakes: 8/10

P.S. I want that Neighal (what was his name again?) guy dead. Or at least thrown into Tartarus or out of Equestria.

5562230 Actually, it differs between shipmasters. Supreme Commander Thel' had a profuse affinity for personally taking a leading role in ground assaults, as well as many other high ranking units. UNSC Snipers were trained to single them out, as I'm sure you knew.

Mother of Luna, this fic is awesome! It's everything I could've wanted in a Halo crossover! Hope the next chapter comes out soon :twilightsmile:

7F

Remind me that this story is similar plot to Falling stars by Rokas that crossover with battle tech universe. I hope that just aliance with proud realistic military race griffons not naive ponies. Just good story but not so favorite story. No offense pls.

Are you still writting this story

THIS is an amazing story, please tell me you are still writting this fantastic story.

This story still updating?

8125173
No.......damn I'm literally seeing you on almost all the same stories I'm on lol.

9133594
Then we have good tastes. Lol

8125173
I have plans to continue, I'm mainly dealing with a ton of personal and work related issues

Login or register to comment