• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 671 Views, 9 Comments

The Rats, The Cats and The Callahan - Trigger_Finger



following the life of police officer Derreck Callahan

  • ...
6
 9
 671

Patrol


Johnny sat in his police car and tagged vehicles as they drove by, but according to Murphy’s Law ponies never sped when they saw a police car and actually went below the speed limit to avoid getting tickets. Johnny sighed and grabbed the police radio “Callahan you get anything?” Johnny asked, “No they ain’t biting today” Callahan replied. “What?” Johnny asked confused, he had never heard that term before.

Up further along the small highway road along the waterfront, about 4 miles past Johnny sat Callahan’s car. But Callahan wasn’t in the car, Callahan had left a pony mannequin in the driver seat holding the speed gun to make it look like there was a police officer in the car. However down by the waterfront Callahan sat there with the police radio and a fishing rod. “Yeah, uh I meant that no-pony is speeding” Callahan corrected himself as he cast the fishing line into the water.

Callahan sat there and chuckled to himself, “paid to go fishing” he muttered and continued to go fishing. “Callahan you want to call it a day and head back to the station” Johnny asked, Callahan grabbed the radio “no, wait till I catch one” he replied and continued fishing. Johnny could be heard sighing over the radio “10/4 over and out” Johnny replied and Callahan chuckled “Danvers would kill me if he ever found out” Callahan chuckled to himself.

Callahan sat there for another half hour and the sun began to set, Callahan checked his watch, it read 5:21. Suddenly there was a tug on the line and Callahan gave it a tug back and began wheeling in the line and the fish thrashed. “Callahan have you” Johnny began but Callahan grabbed the radio “yeah I caught one give me a second” Callahan replied. “About bloody time. Jeeze I’ve never heard any-pony be so happy over catching a speeder” Johnny replied back, “hey it’s difficult, you try and do it someday” Callahan told him. “What catch a speeder?” Johnny asked a little confused at the statement.

Callahan pulled the fish out of the water, it was just a crappy fish, one of the ones that eat garbage, but it was huge probably weighing close to 6 and a half pounds. “Holy shit he’s a big guy” Callahan replied over the radio, forgetting entirely that he was supposed to be on patrol. “What?” Johnny replied a little confused at his statement, “Uhh I mean that the speeding fine was a big one” Callahan lied as he unhooked the fish and threw it back into the water. Like most all ponies in Equestria, Callahan was vegetarian and didn’t eat meat so there was no point in him keeping the fish, so as always it was catch and release.

“Holy shit, Callahan I’ve got a guy driving at 150mph in a red Ferrari, cut him off will yah” Johnny ordered over the radio. “Shit” Callahan muttered to himself as he picked up his radio and fishing pole and ran back to his car.

Callahan tossed the fishing pole in the back of the car and hoped in the passenger side and looked to the mannequin. “Catch any speeders?” Callahan asked the mannequin and chuckled as he pushed the mannequin a little and its head stuck out the window as he tried to rearrange himself in the car. Suddenly the red Ferrari sped past and tore off the mannequin’s head off. Callahan looked at the mannequin “oh my god” Callahan muttered and tossed the mannequin out the window figuring he’d pick it up later. Suddenly Johnny zipped by in his Dodge Charger, police sirens wailing, and flattened the mannequin under his police car. “Oh my god” Callahan exclaim and turned his car on.

The Torino roared to life, its 460 big block thundering in comparison to the small engines of other cars on the road, Callahan flicked on the sirens that were concealed in the grill and placed a magnetic single red siren on the roof of the car. Callahan slammed the car into first gear and pinned the accelerator pedal right to the floor, the engine roared and the front end of the car lifted off the ground as the car sped forward. The car began to red line and Callahan slapped it into second gear and the car’s front end finally touched the ground, the supercharger emitted a high pitched whine as the car sped along, the car once again began to redline and Callahan slapped the manual shifter into 3rd gear and pursued Johnny and the speeding Ferrari.

The Torino was now reaching a speed of 100mph and Callahan shifted the car into its final gear, the supercharger quieted down and the car let out a low rumble. Callahan’s car came up beside Johnny’s Charger and Johnny looked over to Callahan who gave him a sloppy salute and stomped on the Torino’s accelerator. The car rumbled and passed Johnny and pursued the speeding Ferrari.

The culprit in the Ferrari saw Callahan approaching and stomped on the accelerator of his Ferrari, the 2 cars now reached speeds exceeding 170mph. Callahan drove up behind the Ferrari and gave it an aggressive nudge with his Torino. The Ferrari’s driver couldn’t keep control of the car at such high speeds and the car spun sideways and began to roll, pieces of fiberglass and plastic were smashed off the car and littered the highway. Callahan slowed his car to a screeching halt as the Ferrari continued to roll. Callahan waited for the Ferrari to stop rolling and soon enough it did. Callahan drove his car up to the now overturned Ferrari and turned off his Torino. Johnny’s Charger soon came screaming up beside him as Callahan exited his car, Johnny lept out of his police car, Berretta drawn.

Callahan looked to the rookie “I don’t think he’ll be in any mood to fight” Callahan chuckled and trotted over to the trashed Ferrari. Callahan bent over to look inside the car, the culprit was extremely lucky. Other than a busted nose and a few missing teeth he was pretty much unscathed.

“You’re under arrest” Callahan said in a gruffly tone, the culprit groaned “I’m going to sue you ass” the culprit groaned and Callahan gabbed the door of the Ferrari. It was seized shut so Callahan simply tore the door off with brute strength and pulled the pony out of the Ferrari, slapping hoof-cuffs on him and bringing him to Johnny’s police car and stuffing him in the back. “You knocked off my partners head” Callahan grumbled, the culprit simply chuckled “I was hoping it was you sticking your head out of the window” he said with a sneer. Callahan let out a snarl and slammed the door.

“Hey careful with my car” Johnny retorted, “hey you’re the one to talk, you ran over my partner” Callahan replied. Johnny chuckled, “next time you decide to go fishing instead of patrol, get a better friggin mannequin, I could tell that was a mannequin from a mile away” Johnny laughed. Callahan looked at the trashed Ferrari “Danvers is going to have a shit fit about this” Callahan chuckled and Johnny flicked his mane out of his face “I’ll bring this guy in and write up the after action report, and I’ll be sure not to add anything about a certain fisher-pony who was supposed to be on patrol” Johnny chuckled and drove off towards the station. Callahan sighed and walked over to his car and radioed in for a cleanup crew.

* * *

Callahan spent the next 2 hours explaining to the cleanup crew and fellow officers what happened and tried to get back to the station but they kept asking stupid questions. Soon the news reporters were on the scene and were trying to get an interview with Callahan. Callahan gave his report and quickly hoped in his car and drove back to the station before any-pony else could bother him.

Callahan groaned as he looked at his watch and realized it was 7:45 in the afternoon. The sun was setting and the air smelt terrible, but then again that’s what it always smelt like.

Callahan finally arrived at the station and parked his car in the police parking and turned off the car and went into the building and up to his office.

Johnny had been kind enough to print him off an extra copy of the police report and leave it on his desk to hand in to the captain. Callahan quickly scribbled his name down on the after action report and shut off his computer and quickly left his office and went into the captain’s office. “Afternoon Callahan, I heard that you and Johnny had quite the little pursuit” Danvers inquired. Callahan rolled his eyes and tossed the after action report on Danvers’ desk. “Callahan explain to me how it is so that you just got back yet you were able to write up this after action report?” Danvers asked, Callahan shrugged “fuckin media started bugging me so I had time to write this up while they tried to get an interview” Callahan lied, Danvers nodded “I see, well Callahan if that’s all I suppose you can have a nice night” Danvers said with a low tone as he inspected the after action report. “You to Danvers” Callahan said bluntly and left the office and went back downstairs.

As he left the receptionist area the same mare from last night called out “leaving early Callahan?” she asked with a cute voice, Callahan shrugged and signed out “no, leaving on time for once” Callahan muttered and started to leave, “have a nice night Callahan” she called out. Callahan stopped and looked back to the mare and nodded, “yeah you to Scarlet” he replied and proceeded out to his car and started the car up and left the garage, once again he waited for the pony guard to open up the gate. “Hey Callahan thinking about selling that car yet?” Bill asked, Callahan chuckled “over my dead body” Callahan replied. Bill opened the gate and let Callahan out and Callahan drove home to his shitty ‘paradise’.

Like he had before Callahan drove up the alleyway behind the apartment and parked the car, turning off the car and locking the door he left the car and walked down the alleyway. This time there were no delinquents vandalizing the wall so Callahan simply walked inside the building and began to ascend up the staircase until he reached his floor. There was still litter all around the floors in the hallway and Callahan chuckled “someday I’ll get out of this place” he told himself but then thought to himself for a moment. “What am I saying, I’ll probably die in this shithole” he told himself as he walked down the hallway.

He reached his door but realized it was open, Callahan approached the door and leaned his head against it, there was noise coming from inside, like some-pony was moving things, or stealing them. “Who would want to steal my shit” Callahan whispered as he drew his Colt M1911 and pushed the door open silently, leading his way with his handgun.