• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 671 Views, 9 Comments

The Rats, The Cats and The Callahan - Trigger_Finger



following the life of police officer Derreck Callahan

  • ...
6
 9
 671

The Cats


Callahan was greeted by the sight of 65 year old Ms. Abernathy, the cat lady from downstairs. “Morning” Callahan said in an irritated voice, ‘what the fuck does she want at this time’ Callahan thought to himself, his thoughts were soon answered when Ms. Abernathy levitated her stupid Persian cat forward, grease and dead cockroaches were now dried into its fur. Callahan stifled a laugh, the cat looked hilarious in its current state, “something funny” Ms. Abernathy asked in an irritated tone, “yeah your cat’s new hairdo is hilarious” Callahan laughed gruffly.

“And I suppose you had nothing to do with this” Abernathy accused and Callahan shrugged, “wouldn’t know a thing, got
home late from work and went to sleep” Callahan lied. Ms. Abernathy gave an irritated ‘humph’, “if I find out that you had anything to do with this I’m calling the cops” Ms. Abernathy threatened. Callahan let out a sigh “yes well Ms. Abernathy I’m positive some of the guys at the office would love to hear your report but as for me I need to be getting back to sleep I need to get up early” Callahan said as he went to close his door but Ms. Abernathy slid her hoof in front of the door to stop it from closing.

Callahan let out another irritated sigh, “yes Ms. Abernathy?” Callahan asked with irritation in his voice, “I’m always watching you Callahan… always” she said in a freakish old mare voice and walked away towards the elevator. “God that’s creepy” Callahan muttered as he closed the door and went back to his couch to try and get some sleep before he had to go back to work.

* * *

Callahan’s alarm clock started beeping, that annoying alarm beep that drives anyone insane that hears it. Callahan groaned and leaned over and hit the snooze button, the clock read 5:30am, the time that Callahan woke up every morning to get ready for work. Callahan got up and turned on the T.V. news, “and today is going to be another very hot and humid day, the temperature will be 99 degrees Fahrenheit today but with the humidity it will feel like 103, there will be some clouds along with” the news anchor began but Callahan turned off the T.V. and began to dress himself, today he chose to wear a plain white T-shirt with blue jeans.

Callahan groaned to himself in sleepiness and walked over to the fridge and pulled out a jar of grease, after pouring some grease into the grease can he set the jar back in the fridge and placed the can of grease on the stove, like he had every day for the past 2 and a half years. He walked to the washroom, which was by far the dirtiest place in the entire apartment room and relived himself, the toilet stank and didn’t quite flush properly. Callahan washed his hands and splashed cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror.

“Aren’t you just a stud” he laughed to himself and flexed in the mirror, his biceps bulged like that of a professional body builder but Callahan simply grunted and looked at his face, “if your face wasn’t so ugly I think you might be a knock out with the mares” he chuckled to himself and left the washroom. He slipped on his boots and holster on and flung his coat over his shoulder, he looked back to Squeak who was standing on his hindlegs on the table. Callahan chuckled as he put his hat on and grabbed the rat a cracker and handed the cracker to Squeak, who took it gracefully and gave a thankful squeak. “Be good” Callahan told the rat and left the apartment room.

He looked to the staircase and then to the elevator, he shrugged and lit a cigarette as he trotted down the staircase, figuring he might as well try to stay in shape. He reached the bottom of the staircase and entered the lobby, a receptionist yelled out “no smoking in the building”, Callahan chuckled to himself. “Hey you deaf or what, I said PUT OUT THAT CIGARETTE” the receptionist yelled, “hey keep it down, ponies are trying to sleep” Callahan scolded as he left the building.

He turned the corner and proceeded down the alleyway to his old car. He dangled out his keys and opened the door, as he started the car he looked to the clock. “20 to six, have time for a coffee and a doughnut” he muttered to himself and drove the car out of the alleyway and down the slums of the neighbourhood.

Callahan listened to the radio station which mostly just talked about the shitty weather but it did also talk about how the princess and her nephew prince Blueblood would be in town for a little while. “Figures, they probably want to see the statue of Celestia” Callahan muttered to himself, the statue of Celestia was a statue that was of Celestia holding up a torch, probably to resemble freedom or light or something.

Callahan parked his car in the parking lot in front of the local doughnut shop and turned the car off and went inside. An aroma of doughnuts and coffee filled his nose and drove his senses mad. “Mornin D” a cute Pegasus mare from behind the counter called out, “morning” Callahan replied in his gruffly voice as he sat down at a booth by the window. “The regular D?” she asked and Callahan nodded, the mare left the counter and grabbed him a plain doughnut and brought over a coffee pot and a cup, somehow balancing all of this. Callahan gave her 20 bits, “D, you know that it’s only 10 bits, so why do you always give me 20?” she asked. “Not sure. Keep the change” Callahan replied as he sipped the coffee.

The coffee was cold but that’s how he liked his coffee, the Pegasus sat down across from him, “so D?” she asked. Callahan looked at her with tired eyes “yeah” he replied bluntly. “Any interesting stories?” she asked curiously, “not really” he replied and took another sip out of his cold coffee. “Ech, D how do you drink coffee cold it’s just… gross” the mare asked, “it’s like saying how do you drink it hot” Callahan replied. “D, every pony drinks their coffee hot, it’s just the way it’s supposed to be drunk” she laughed. Callahan sighed “maybe I just like to be different” he replied. The mare chuckled “yeah you sure are different let me tell you” the mare giggled and got up from her seat “well I have to get back to work” she informed Callahan.

Callahan looked to her “you? Work? I would’ve never guessed” Callahan joked, “yeah well unlike some of us, I have an undercover job so you rarely see me working” she joked and made a spooky face. Callahan finished his coffee and picked up his doughnut, eating it as he left the doughnut shop.

“Later D” the mare called out, “later Beatrix” Callahan called back. She laughed and called back “call me B, you old fool” she laughed. Callahan chuckled to himself, he was probably her age, maybe a year older, but she thought he was way older than she was. Callahan finished his doughnut and hoped in his car, as he drove off he rubbed his head and took a sniff of his armpit, “uhhg, okay I’ll have to take a shower as well” he grumbled to himself.

He reached the police station and parked his car in the police parking and trotted towards the entrance. He took a glance towards the city before he entered the building and shook his head “bloody city will be the end of me” he told himself. He entered the building and signed in, “jeeze Callahan take a shower why don’t yah” the officer at the desk retorted, Callahan grunted to himself “was planning to” Callahan replied and trotted off towards the downstairs showers.

Much like change room showers at the recreational center the showers were just a bunch of nozzles in a large room. Callahan opened his locker and got undressed, he set a towel on a towel hook and turned on one of the shower nozzles, the water was nice and warm and Callahan let out a sigh of comfort as he washed himself off.

Callahan stood there and showered for a while then decided he had enough and turned the shower off. Steam had accumulated in the shower room, almost like fog but it was warmer than fog. Callahan grabbed his towel and dried himself off just as another officer came into the shower room, “holy shit, Callahan how long have you been here?” the officer asked curiously. Callahan thought to himself, “about 6” Callahan replied.

The officer chuckled and Callahan paid no attention as he dressed himself back up and left the shower room and proceeded up offices. He looked around the offices but only a few nightshift officers were left, and they were just getting ready to leave. Callahan trotted over to his office and opened the window, noises from the city filled the tiny office. Callahan sat down and leaned back in his office chair as he flicked on his computer which booted to life.

Callahan closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead, it was going to be a long day, and Callahan could just feel it. The computer finished its boot up sequence and Callahan reached over and turned the radio on to the classic rock station and leaned forward and started typing up some more paperwork.

Eventually more police officers entered the building. Callahan looked over to the clock on his desk, the clock read 8:37am. Callahan lit up a cigarette and continued to type up paperwork. It had only been a few hours but to Callahan it felt like ages, suddenly a young stallion appeared in his office doorway and knocked, Callahan looked up at the officer. “Uh Callahan, you coming on patrol today or what?” the officer asked, Callahan nodded and got up from his seat and walked out of his office, leaving the office door open.

As they walked down the flights of stairs the young officer looked to Callahan “how long have you been here?” the young stallion asked, “6” Callahan replied bluntly as they entered the receptionist area. “Damn Callahan you have to stop running yourself so hard and take it easy” the stallion replied, “don’t worry about me Johnny I’ll be fine” Callahan replied. They left the building and trotted towards the police garage.

Callahan entered his Torino but Johnny jumped into a new Dodge Charger police interceptor, Callahan’s police radio crackled “Callahan why didn’t you request a new car” Johnny laughed over the radio, “Because mine is better than those plastic pieces of shit they call cars” Callahan replied bluntly. “Ha, just try and say that when we’re chasing some guy in a sports car then you’ll be wishing you had this one” Johnny replied back. Callahan chuckled “We’ll see” and with that they both pulled out of the parking lot and into the city streets.