• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 2,849 Views, 72 Comments

The Element of Corruption - Fyronarion



When dark thoughts corrupts Twilight, she starts exploring the truth about her friends.

  • ...
12
 72
 2,849

New Blood

“Go go go!” shouted one of the Captains of the Royal Guards. The pegasus regiment of the guards sprung their wings out started trotting, before breaking into a fast gallop and jumping into the air. They flew in a circle in the sky before turning north and flying towards the Saddle Valley.

The Captain looked on at his units that flew away and took out a scroll. He quickly scribbled a message to the Princess and whistled. A messenger landed next to him a few minutes later and took the scroll before taking off towards the tower of the princess.

As the messenger flew towards the tower, he quickly circled the tower once before landing on the balcony and knocking on the door. It slowly opened and the Princess stepped out. The messenger bowed.

“Princess, I have a message from the Pegasus Fleet Commander of the Royal Guard.” he quickly said, handing the letter to her. Her horn glowed as the letter levitated off his hoof and went behind her.

“Thank you.” she simply said before closing the door on him. She then turned around and quickly opened it, her eyes darting to read the writing.

To Princess Celestia:

I have ordered half of my pegasi to fly towards Shining Armor’s location, as pinpointed by our mapper’s coordinates. Captain Bronze Dagger has ordered the Earth Pony branch of the Royal Guard to go along with the pegasus, while allowing half of them here to provide guard duty. Finally, the Unicorn guards will be patrolling all of the Solar cities for suspicious activities.

Yours most sincerely

Capt. Spear

The Princess smiled. Everything is going to plan. If this works, she will soon have Luna and Twilight on her side, Discord petrified and Chrysalis banished to her plane. At least, that’s what she hopes what will happen.

Her horn glowed and she quickly scribbled out a reply. After finishing it, she wrapped the scroll up and sent it on its way to the Commander...

Meanwhile, in Ponyville...

It was another normal day in Ponyville. The town was thriving with activity, and ponies moved back and forth to different stores. However, one building in the town was void of any activity.

Twilight’s Library looked as if it was abandoned years ago. The windows were covered with dust, and cobwebs already formed around the edge. The tree itself looked like its life was slowly fading, as the leaves were turning dull brown and the branches starting to sag.

Inside the library, it was a mess. Books and candy wrappers were cluttered about, trailing the floor and the stairs all the way to the bedroom. The candles that were lighting the room melted, only showing a small puddle of wax.

Upstairs in Twilight’s bedroom, a small purple figure was lying on the bed. His eyes were bloodshot and baggy, and his body was reeking unpleasantly, courtesy of not taking a shower for a week.

Spike was just lying on the bed, gazing at the ceiling with a fixed expression on his face. He never believed that Twilight. a pony he considered a sisterly and motherly figure to him, betrayed the Princess and left to join the dark side.

Ever since that happened and he heard the news a day later from a guard who dropped in to inform him, he was never the same. Spike never came out and became a hermit in his own house. He never answered the door, and neglected cleaning the library or keeping the books organized. It was as if he lost hope in the world.

He sighed, rubbing his eyes. Another day gone. He slowly got up and dragged himself downstairs to the kitchen to eat a snack.

While he was rummaging through the spoiled contents of the fridge, a gentle knock was heard on the door. Spike growled. When are these ponies going to stop bothering him?

“GO AWAY!” he shouted at the door. The knocking stopped, but a voice answered.

“Spike, it’s me, Rarity. Let me in, I have to talk to you.” answered a soft voice. Spike’s anger slowly dissolved. Rarity? What would she want from him?

He walked over to the door and opened it, peering through the edge. Indeed, it was Rarity. She smiled at him, and he felt his heart skip a beat. Spike fully opened the door and invited her in.

“I knew you wouldn’t ignore me.” she said happily, trotting in. Her presence made the entire room light up, as if beauty was a source of illumination. Spike just nodded, and he suddenly realized how awful he looked to her. But if she showed any disapproval of this, she didn’t. Instead, she sat on the chair and asked him to sit next to her.

“How are you?” she asked.

“Fine, as you can see by my condition.” he grumbled. Rarity glanced at him and raised an eyebrow. Her horn glowed and he was suddenly up in the air. Spike yelped.

“Hey, let me down!” he shouted, squirming against her magic. Rarity chuckled.

“Not now, Spikey. You are in need of a major fashion overhaul.” she said, focusing more energy on him. Bubbles started forming around him, along with steam. A flash later, the smell of lavender and roses drifted through the air as a glowing Spike was gently placed on the chair. His spikes were radiant, and his body was sparkling. He admired himself.

“Wow, uh, thanks! Didn’t know you can do that sort of stuff.” he said. She waved her hoof.

“Oh, I know a good collection of spells. Support and household spells, I mean. Not as good with combat spells like Twilight though.” she said dismissively, watching Spike carefully for his reaction. Her hunch was right. As soon as he heard her name, his eyes slowly faced down and his smile dropped to a sad expression. He started playing with his fingers until Rarity placed a comforting hoof on his shoulder. Spike felt his cheeks burning.

“Listen Spike. Twilight left us too. We all feel your pain. That is why I am here. We need you in this. I need you.” she requested, locking onto his eyes.

“No thanks. I have no pleasure in finding Twilight. She left me here to rot, so why shouldn’t I leave her out there? Besides, I’m not good at anything and I never will be.” he said sadly before he turned and walked towards the bedroom. Rarity frowned and followed him.

“Spike, you have to come with us. What happens if we find Twilight? What if she comes back to our side? How do you think she will feel when she finds out her favorite assistant was not with us? Please, Spike, we need you on this. Don’t bring yourself down on thinking you are useless. Pure muscle and looks are nothing compared to what you have in there.” she pleaded, placing her hoof on his chest. Spike looked down on where her hoof lay, and then looked up at her strangely.

“My stomach? I had a danish for breakfast, if that’s what you’re asking for “what’s in there”.” he said, confused. She laughed.

“No, silly. I mean your heart! Out of all the ponies I met, you are the one with a pure heart. I mean, you’re not a pony of course, but you do understand what I am saying, right?” she asked. He nodded, a sliver of hope flaring up within him.

“So will you help us? We will need somepony to help with messages, along with information on Twilight’s whereabouts. And I am sure you would not mind since the Princess personally requests your presence on this task.” she asked. Spike thought for a while until he nodded.

“Yeah, I will. No matter what obstacle they throw in our way, we will achieve our goal of bringing back Twilight to us. I’m coming.” he said confidentially. Rarity smiled at him.

“Thank you, Spike!” she said cheerfully, kissing him on the cheek before trotting away. Spike had a dazed expression on his face as he felt the right side of his cheek, which was burning as if he touched it with hot iron.

“You-You’re w-welcome.” he stammered a few minute later until realizing that she left. He looked around and started gathering his things, his brain whirring on what he signed up for...

In Ponyville Square...

Applejack and Pinkie walked out of the Town Hall, confident with their meeting with the Mayor.

“Do ya think she’ll buff up the defenses?” Applejack asked Pinkie. The pink earth pony nodded energetically.

“Oh yes! She has to believe us! The Princess is on this too, so she’s forced to follow us!” she said cheerfully, bouncing up and down. Applejack rolled her eyes.

“Well, ah hope Rarity, Rainbow and Fluttershy are done with their jobs.” she said. Just when she said that, Rarity halted in front of them, panting. Pinkie and Applejack exchanged glances with one another.

“So, what happened? Did Spike agree?” asked Pinkie. Rarity nodded, out of breath. Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“That quickly? Did ya enchant him-”

“Of course not! I am not that kind of pony! How could you ask such a thing?!” she questioned, recovering from her exhaustion as she glared at Applejack. She took a step back.

“Woah there, girl. Just askin’. Anyways, lets be off to Sugarcube Corner. We can all wait for RD and Fluttershy there.” she said. Pinkie hopped excitedly.

“Free pastries on the house!” she shouted, bouncing towards the familiar frost covered building in the distance. Rarity followed Applejack.

“I am starving too. Let us be off.” she said as both of them trotted towards the store...

All the way to Cloudsdale...

“....so if you see a purple unicorn with a dark mane, just tell us. Got that?” asked Rainbow Dash to a group of mares. They nodded and she exhaled in relief.

“Finally, someponies that understand. I wonder how Fluttershy is doing?” she asked herself as she flew through the sprawling cloud city...

Eastern District of Cloudsdale...

Fluttershy hovered around, trying to find somepony to talk to. She was nervous about informing random strangers about Nightmare’s army. She looked through the crowd and spotted a stallion walking casually through the street. She smiled and flew towards him.

“Excuse me, sir. Um, if you don’t mind, I need to ask you something.” she stammered, landing in front of him. The stallion stopped and looked at her, puzzled.

“Er..okay. Make it quick, will ya?” he said impatiently. Fluttershy nodded and inhaled.

“Um...if you see a purple unicorn with a dark mane that is trying to kill us all, can you report her to us? I mean, if it’s no trouble to you.” she asked. The stallion looked taken aback until he burst out laughing.

“Ha, good one. Unicorns taking down pegasi. I haven’t heard that one for years.” he chuckled, wiping a tear from his eye. Fluttershy shook her head.

“I’m serious.” she said quietly. The stallion laughed even harder.

“If you say so. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get to work.” he said, pushing her aside as he made his way to a large office building. Fluttershy sighed and flew to him, landing in front of him and blocking his way.

“This is real.” she persisted. The stallion snorted and shoved her aside forcefully.

“Okay, stop bothering me.” he said irritably. Fluttershy growled and landed forcefully in front of him again.

“YOU’RE GOING TO BELIEVE ME!” she shouted at him. He gasped, falling on his rear. Fluttershy towered over him.

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?” she shouted. The stallion nodded hastily before taking off in fright. Fluttershy sighed and turned around to see a cyan pony staring at her. She gasped.

“Rainbow! You scared me, my goodness-”

“Scared you? You scared me! That was some yelling you had there. Next time, use that voice when you’re cheering me on when I do a Sonic Rainboom.” she praised, giving a noogie to her. Fluttershy smiled, and they both flew to Ponyville together to tell the others about how their job went on convincing all the pegasi...