• Published 13th Jan 2012
  • 1,967 Views, 34 Comments

The Cutie Mark Crusade Is Over - Pure Coincidence



Have The Three Cutie Mark Crusaders Finally Found Their Special Talent

  • ...
2
 34
 1,967

Part III

The Cutie Mark Crusade Is Over: Part III

A few days had passed since the Cutie Mark Crusaders had last attempted to create the magical symbols of which they sought more than anything else. Everyday had been ruined by the Weather Control Squad, rainy day after rainy day had occurred, leaving the Ponies’ thirst for talent testing unquenched.

But today was different, today was sunny. Today was also the last day of school for the week and the ponies were eager to get going. Counting the final seconds as if they were hours the bell finally went and before Miss Cherilee could even say goodbye to all her students, more than half were already gone.

The colours of Orange, White and Pale Yellow were but a blur across the countryside, dodging every puddle that stood in their way. Just ahead lay their goal, the club house that housed all their ideas and hopes to gain success from their goal. So close, when suddenly a Purple pony crossed their path just up ahead.

Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom were forced to stop at the appearance of Twilight Sparkle. Slowing to a brisk walk the three fillies tried to regain their breath before they reached Twilight.

“Hello there girls! What are you up to?” Twilight knew very well what the three ponies would be doing this fine afternoon, but she still knew that you could not force your Cutie Mark to appear.

“We were just gonna’ try to get our remaining Cutie Marks Twilight,” Applebloom said innocently enough that she just hoped that Twilight would be on her way so that the ponies could begin their work.

“You know you can’t force the- Wait, hold your hooves for a second there, did you say, REMAINING Cutie Marks?” Twilight was confused; she was so sure that you could not get your Cutie Mark by forcing yourself to do activities.

“Yeah, we helped Scootaloo to get hers just a few days back!” Sweetie Belle piped up excited to tell the news to an out-of-the-loop pony. “Show her Scoot.”

Spinning, Scootaloo flashed her Cutie mark of a tornado on a shiny metal sheet with a smug grin on her face. That quickly changed when she remembered what happened last time she showed off her Cutie Mark.

“Wow, that is great!” Twilight said saddened by the fact that she could quite possibly be wrong. “Uhh, what is it?”

“I’m a professional Break-dancer!” Scootaloo said excitedly. “Well, maybe not professional, not yet at least!”

“Well, I suppose I couldn’t help one of you to get your Cutie Mark, could I?” Twilight was now so intrigued by how the ponies had managed to get one part of their goal she could not help asking, wanting to learn the secret to their success.

“Weell,” Applebloom began. But was quickly cut off by Sweetie Belle.

“Of course you can Twilight. Any suggestions as to what we do would be greatly appreciated.” The Cutie Mark Crusaders were back to trying random things Applejack’s advice had worked once but it seemed to be a fluke.

“You got your Cutie Mark by a random suggestion!” Twilight was getting frustrated, everything she knew was turning around and she started to question if she knew anything at all!

“Well, no,” Applebloom replied “Applejack said do what you like, and as it turns out, what Scootaloo really liked was break dancing.”

This set Twilight’s mind thinking, she knew that a cutie mark was always gained by something a pony liked, but what she couldn’t get her head around was why the pony’s were trying random things again. “So tell me, if doing what you liked worked, why not do that for yourselves?”

“Well, we did.” Sweetie Belle began, tearing up remembering a few days ago at how she thought she was so close to getting what she so desperately wanted, to know who she was. To know what made her unique to every other pony.

“But it didn’t work.” Applebloom replied strongly, picking up where Sweetie Belle left off. “Sweetie Belle thought about what she liked and it turned out to be poetry, we tried it and performed it. You-You know the rest.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring this all up” Twilight could see the tears forming the smaller ponies’ eyes, as they felt for their friend and as Sweetie Belle felt for herself. “Have you all tried making cupcakes at Sugarcube Corner? I’m sure Pinkie Pie would be willing to help you out.”

The three ponies’ eyes lit up, they hadn’t even though of that. The sun had fallen a lot more than the ponies would have hoped in the time they had spent talking and explaining things to Twilight, they realised they needed to hurry if they were going to get a batch of cupcakes done before they needed to be home.

“Thanks Twilight,” The three ponies called heading back the way they had come.

Pinkie Pie was outside Sugarcube corner “Twichy-Twitcha-Twitcha-Twitch!” Pinkie Pie called to the three fillies that immediately stopped in their tracks, everypony round Ponyville knew about Pinkie Pie’s twitches.

“Stay away from doors,” Pinkie called knowing all too well what can happen when her advice is ignored.

The three ponies, feeling a little safer that something is not going to fall out of the sky approached Pinkie, keeping well clear of the door to Sugarcube Corner.

“Pinkie Pie,” Sweetie Belle started. “Could you help us get our Cutie Marks? We need to give baking cupcakes a try.”
The door to Sugarcube corner slammed open and Pinkie got up and bounced in right after a large stallion walked out carrying a large box. “Sure, I can help you!”

“Really Pinkie? You’re the best!” Applebloom was glad that she was able to try something new in hope of finding it to be her talent.

Pulling things from various cupboards around the room Pinkie Pie started telling the ponies what to do, “crack the eggs, add milk and add sugar, LOTS of sugar!”

Soon enough there was a huge mess in the kitchen of Sugarcube Corner. Flour coated just about every surface of the room and the ponies. A huge bowl of just the right consistency was being taste tested by Pinkie Pie.

“For a 5 kilogram batch of cupcakes like this we needed to have put in 1.5 kilograms of sugar, 500 grams of chocolate chips, 2 kilograms of Flour and then all the eggs, milk and other secret ingredients should make up the last few Kilograms!” Pinkie Pie smiled, it all made sense in her mind.

“But Pinkie P-“ Sweetie Belle started but was suddenly cut off when Applebloom made eye contact and shook her head.
“It’s Pinkie Pie.” Applebloom need not say anymore because everypony knew about it. Pinkie Pie just had a different way of thinking than everypony else, it’s not that she was stupid (which she definitely isn’t) it’s just that she took a different path and somehow ended up just off the answer but still really close and that’s what mattered...

Taking a big scoop of the mixture Pinkie opened her mouth as wide as it would go and put the delicious mixture in. Chewing happily away Pinkie started bouncing up and down eyes rolling around in her head.

“It’s PERFECT!” the shout was so loud that everypony in Ponyville had heard it and wondered what could possibly be going on in Sugarcube corner.

Putting the mixture in the little holds in the cupcake tray the little ponies put them into the oven at just the right temperature, Hot. The excitement got the benefit of the two ponies that didn’t already have their Cutie Marks in prospect that they were so close to another chance.

Spinning and dancing in the kitchen of Sugarcube corner, just making a bigger mess of all the flour and spilt ingredients on the floor. They were so excited and made so much noise that they didn’t even see Pinkie Pie humming and singing softly to the cupcakes.

After a time, the two ponies ran out of energy and out of breath. Leaving them sprawled in a heap on the floor, panting. A strange new noise reached their ears, Pinkie Pie was still humming and singing to the cupcakes that were half-way through their cooking cycle.

“Uhh, Pinkie? What are you doing?” Sweetie Belle said, listening to the music wondering what was wrong with Pinkie, she had never heard her speak or do anything so quietly.

“I’m singing to the cupcakes so that they grow to be big, tasty cupcakes.” Pinkie Pie sounded dead serious. “You should sing too. You have been part of their life until now, you can’t just abandon them!”

“Go on Sweetie Belle, you have the best voice of all of us!” Applebloom pushed her forward.

“Wha-what do I sing?” Sweetie Belle was surprised at this sudden turn of events. “Why not Scootaloo? She was the singer for our performance.”

Staying quiet until now, Scootaloo had just been watching everything that had been going on. “I was terrible and I know it. You do have the best voice Sweetie Belle!”

“You will sing to them then.” Pinkie Pie stood from her knees and stretched her sore legs. “Just tell them what you want them to do!”

Before Sweetie Belle could reply Pinkie Pie has bouncing out of the kitchen and left the girls alone. Utter fear shook Sweetie Belle to the core. “What if I get it wrong? What if I ruin the batch?” Terrible thoughts of ruining everything were the only thoughts she had.

“Calm down Sweetie Belle” Applebloom said, “They’re just cupcakes.”

Rationality took over Sweetie Belle, “Oh, right, I knew that.” Pinkie Pie had momentarily changed her thinking pattern.

(Author’s note: Use your imagination here. Make it nice.)

“Little Cupcakes,
Think of the future,
Think. Of. How.
You. Will. Be.
Don’t be scared now,
Face to your fears,
Grow. Up. Strong.
It Won’t. Be. Long.
What you will do will be,
Greater than Anything.

Applebloom and Scootaloo could do nothing but stare; they had never heard Sweetie Belle REALLY sing before. They had only heard bits and pieces while she wasn’t paying attention.

Running out of the room as quietly as possible, the little ponies roused every pony in sight. Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were just some of the ponies around as they had been meeting up. Curious as to why the little fillies had rushed them towards Sugarcube Corner, they followed.

“Now, you have to be quiet everypony!” Applebloom said before they all went in.

As each pony shuffled into the room and headed towards the kitchen, a beautiful sound could be heard. Although the lyrics were quite strange, the enticing music lured them to know who it was.

Everypony stood with their heads through the doorway of the kitchen and gasped in shock to who was singing the words. Sweetie Belle was concentrating on her song and didn’t even notice they were there.

(Author's Note: Once again, PLEASE make it nice.)

“Little Cupcakes,
Think of the future,
Think. Of. How.
You. Will. Be.
Don’t be scared now,
Face to your fears,
Grow. Up. Strong.
It Won’t. Be. Long.
What you will do will be,
Greater than Anything.

DING! As if on cue, the oven timer went off and the cupcakes were ready.

“How did I do Pink-“ Sweetie Belle started, turning around to see nearly 15 heads staring at her through the doorway. Everypony started clapping and cheering Sweetie Belle who was going bright red.

“Wow, you have the BEST voice Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo said, “Not my style of music, but that was incredible!”

“We knew you liked singing Sweetie Belle, but...” realisation dawned in Applebloom. “You LIKE singing!”

Every eye from the 3 fillies fell onto Sweetie Belle’s flank, where now shined in bright silver, 3 musical notes. Sweetie Belle could only stare.

“CONGRATULATIONS!” Applebloom and even Scootaloo hugged their friend. This sudden surprise stopped the crowd in the doorway. They all looked over to see two of the fillies hugging their friend with huge smiles on their faces.
They also saw Sweetie Belle.

Crying.

But this time, tears of joy.

End part III