• Published 13th Jan 2012
  • 1,966 Views, 34 Comments

The Cutie Mark Crusade Is Over - Pure Coincidence



Have The Three Cutie Mark Crusaders Finally Found Their Special Talent

  • ...
2
 34
 1,966

Part II

The Cutie Mark Crusade Is Over: Part II

Dreary clouds covered the whole of Ponyville and rain splashed down upon the school building as the school bell rang, but nopony went to their seats to wait for Miss Cherilee. Instead they were all gathered around Scootaloo as she showed off her new Cutie Mark. The small crowd whispered in wonder as to what the filly’s special talent could possibly be, as Scootaloo had not said a word since walking into the classroom that morning.

“Ok, ok settle down class.” Miss Cherilee said walking in the door and shaking off what raindrops she could that still clung to her sodden magenta fur.

“Why is everyone not in their seats?” Miss Cherilee was startled as usually all of the ponies were so obedient.

Noticing that the small crowd was surrounding Scootaloo, Miss Cherilee walked and saw what all the commotion was about. “That is a fine looking Cutie Mark there Scootaloo,” Raising her voice above the commotion. “But, please tell us all, what makes you unique?”

The room went dead silent in expectance of Scootaloo’s answer. “Well, I don’t want to brag...” A huge smile creeping onto Scootaloo’s face. “But, I may or may not be the best Break Dancer that Equestria has ever seen.”

The commotion of many words and questions erupted from the crowd from everypony in the room except Sweetie Belle and Applebloom whom had slunk away into their seats, heads down wallowing in their own sorrow.

“It’s not fair Sweetie Belle,” Applebloom whined “We were going to get all of our Cutie Marks together, at the SAME time.”

“Well, thinking back, it did seem a bit silly of us to think that would be the case Applebloom.” Sweetie Belle replied looking out into the rain as if to distract herself from the goings on inside the classroom.

“If everypony would find their seats,” Miss Cherilee said “I would like to invite Scootaloo up to the front of the classroom to give a demonstration of her special talent.”

Scootaloo was expecting as much. Miss Cherilee always wanted to see the ponies’ special talents. Pulling a speaker system from here saddlebag and grabbing the sheet metal discreetly hidden against the far back corner of the room Scootaloo prepared herself for her first performance in front a proper crowd.

Pushing the ‘play’ button, the music started. Scootaloo soon got the feel of the music and started tapping. When the song’s introduction finished Scootaloo started very much like she had when DJ Pon-3 was playing the music, spinning around on the very slippery sheet metal surface for a bit then immediately twisting into a head spin! Picking up pace Scootaloo made various poses whilst upside down making for a good show of skill and impeccable balance.

Still spinning Scootaloo brought her front hoof’s down, did a 180 degree spin and landed on her back hoof’s front legs crossed, she had decided that would be her signature sign-off. The classroom cheered encouragement and praise towards the orange filly.

“Well done Scootaloo, that certainly is an entertaining talent you have there, very unique!” Miss Cherilee applauded.

Packing up her things Scootaloo could not help but smile, glad that she had a reason to be. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, although proud of their friend, pushed their heads even deeper into their desks as if to block out all the noise and commotion.

“Now, today we will be learning about the food pyramid.” Miss Cherilee started, obviously trying to gain the young ponies’ attention.


School was over and the rain has stopped, leaving only a muddy path for the students to walk home through. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle trudged along the path, heads held low. Hardly caring where their friend was.

“Wait up,” Scootaloo called from a distance, “Wait for me!”

Scootaloo was running as fast as she could whilst carrying her break dancing materials. By the time she caught up, the little filly was worn out.

“So, what are the Cutie Mark Crusaders going to try today?” Scootaloo asked after finally catching her breath.

“Nuthin’.” Applebloom replied trying to ignore the question proposed towards her.

“Why the long face?” Scootaloo said, trying to cheer her friend up. “Whatever’s on your nerves can’t be that bad after a glorious day like today!”

“Look, Scoot.” Sweetie Belle said before Applebloom could respond, “I think you need to calm down a bit, we just watched you show off your Cutie Mark all day and all we could do was sit there and wish it was us!”

“Oh,” Scootaloo realised that in her own happiness she had hurt her own best friends. Her friends that had helped her get what was causing the happiness. “I’m sorry, I-I didn’t realise.”

“It’s ok,” Applebloom sighed, “I’m sure we would’ve done the same if it was us in your position.”

“So, I’m forgiven? Scootaloo asked timidly, hoping her friends were not too badly hurt by her actions.

“Of course!” the other ponies said as they leapt at Scootaloo and wrapped her in an embrace.

“I didn’t even have a chance.” Scootaloo muttered to herself.

“But, promise us it won’t be like that again,” Applebloom said.

“Never again.” Scootaloo replied boldly.

After several seconds the group broke off and chatted until they parted ways, making promises to try and find the remaining ponies Cutie Marks at the club house after school the next day.

The clouds held their place over Ponyville as the afternoon subsided and the night began.


The bell rang and the three ponies ran towards Sweet Apple Acres. The day was near perfect, the afternoon sun shone brightly down upon Ponyville and the vegetation looked lively after the rain the day before.

The ponies made it to the clubhouse after some solid running and of course, scooting. Sitting in the middle of the clubhouse the three ponies gathered their breath.

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders have successfully completed one third of their mission,” Applebloom said boldly, breaking the silence that held the group. “and so, we still have more work to do. What shall we do today to achieve our Cutie Marks?”

The silence began once more after Applebloom spoke, (like a true professional) as each pony thought of some way to achieve the Cutie Marks they were so desperately after.

“Howdy there little ponies!” Applejack said, looking in through the window of the club house.

“Hey Applejack!” Scootaloo piped up “I haven’t had the chance to thank you yet.” Scootaloo spun and showed off her new Cutie Mark.

“Well, there you go little ponies, always trust my advice an’ you can get anything you want.” Applejack boasted smiling as if she meant for it to happen.

“So whatcha’ gunna do today?” Applejack quickly changed the topic seeing the sadness in the remaining ponies’ eyes.

“We-We don’t know.” Sweetie Belle said, her eyes cast downwards as if the floor suddenly became interesting.

“What do you like Sweetie Belle?” Applejack said, using the same tactic as before.

“Umm, I like spending time alone?” Sweetie Belle considered.

“That isn’t a special talent; everypony does that at some point or another.” Applejack said, urging to pony towards another option.

“Poetry?” Sweetie said thinking of her ability to write and come up with lyrics and rhymes with ease.

“That’s sooo boring!” Scootaloo couldn’t help herself, she didn’t mean to be rude, but it was something she just despised.

“Scootaloo, it’s not about what we like!” Applebloom said “You need to at least give it a try.”

“Ah’ll leave you fillies to it” Applejack said, she really didn’t want to fall behind in her work again.

Grabbing pencils and paper the three ponies started thinking and writing whenever a word seemed appropriate. After a short time Scootaloo sat up and looked upon her work in disgust. A bit later Applebloom caved and could write no more, she had 6 words on the sheet.

Sweetie Belle finished and looked at work with pride.

“How is it?” Applebloom asked hoping that her friend did better than herself.

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat and read:

Strength has not nor never been my gift
But as time is turning I begin to shift
Now I must look and follow my heart
To find that of which is my talent, my art
Not now, if ever am I to say
What struggles are ahead to keep me at bay
But finally, I know who I am.

As the last words were spoken everypony’s eyes moved to Sweetie Belle’s flank. They waited, and waited. Finally they realised that long awaited Cutie Mark was not going to appear.

Sweetie Belle’s face fell, “I was so sure this time!” Tears sprung to her eyes.

“Maybe you have to perform it to someone who likes poetry?” Applebloom suggested.

“Fluttershy!” all the ponies said simultaneously.

A quick run and the three ponies were at Fluttershy’s door knocking furiously. Every creature that was outside Fluttershy’s house scurried away when the three familiar ponies fast approached the property, the three ponies that had caused so much trouble when staying the night at Fluttershy’s place for a sleepover.

“hello?” Fluttershy opened the door timidly. “oh, hello girls. I-um, how can I help you?”

“You like Poetry right?” Scootaloo questioned far too loudly for Fluttershy’s ears.

Cowering away slightly Fluttershy nodded hoping that the orange pony didn’t shout again.

“Please listen to this Fluttershy; we hope that Sweetie Belle will get her Cutie Mark from it.” Applebloom whispered at a level that she knew Fluttershy much rather preferred.

“oh, ok” Fluttershy said hoping that it was good.

Sweetie Belle started:

Strength has not nor never been my gift
But as time is turning I begin to shift
Now I must look and follow my heart
To find that of which is my talent, my art
Not now, if ever am I to say
What struggles are ahead to keep me at bay
But finally, I know who I am.

Fluttershy let her tears fall, “It was so beautiful.”

The ponies’ all rolled their eyes, Fluttershy was nice and all but just a bit too sensitive. But how Fluttershy felt was the last thing on their minds. Just like before everypony stared at Sweetie Belle’s flank.

Once again, there was no change; the flank was still a pure white. Tears streamed from Sweetie Belle’s eyes. To have her hopes raised twice and then shattered both times was too much. Fluttershy shut her door to the fillies, not to be rude, but it was just too much emotion for the sensitive pony to handle.

Scootaloo and Applebloom hugged their friend and comforted her. They sat there embraced and watched the sun fall from the sky and disappear behind the mountains.

“Don’t worry Sweetie Belle,” Applebloom said, “There’s always tomorrow.”

End Part II