• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 12,983 Views, 500 Comments

Just One Week - englishwitch



Twilight's parents come to stay.

  • ...
15
 500
 12,983

Chapter 8

Just one week.
Fanfic by englishwitch
Disclaimer: The following is an entirely fan-created parody. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it’s characters and all other affiliated merchandise are the intellectual property of Lauren Faust and Hasbro. Please support the official MLP: FiM show.
I make no profit, or money at all, for the production and distribution of this fanfiction.

Chapter 8

Something warm and fuzzy nudged Twilights face, pushing sleep further from her. “Too early Smartypants. Five more minutes.” The nudging became harder, becoming prodding then tapping. Twilight’s mind finally woke up enough to realise this wasn’t her fillyhood toy. Cracking one eye open she was met with the glare of an annoyed white rabbit. “Angel?”

Twilight looked around with momentary confusion. She wasn’t in her bed or her library. She was on the sofa in Fluttershy’s cottage. Why was she in Fluttershy’s cottage? Then the memories of yesterday clicked back into place and guilt followed on close behind. She had said such horrid things to her parents. Such horrible, hurtful, things. She had to apologise but how could she face them after that? They’d be so angry. What if they wouldn’t talk to her? What if they punished her? They could in so many ways. What if they wrote to Shining Armour? Worse! What if they wrote to Celestia? Even worse! What if they disowned her? Even worse than that! What if they disowned her, then wrote to Shining, then wrote to Celestia? She would lose her whole family, her teacher and her place in the magic school all because of things she’d said in the heat of the moment.

“Good morning Twilight.”

Twilight jumped, squealing in fright. She fell off the sofa and crashed to the floor. Fluttershy was standing on the stairs, looking worried and apologetic.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry I scared you.” She said in her usual whisper.

Twilight untangled her legs and climbed to her hooves. “It’s not your fault Fluttershy. I was lost in thought.”

“Oh my, were you thinking over something important? I’m sorry I disturbed you. I’ll leave you alone to continue thinking in privacy.” She turned to head up the stairs.

“No, it’s okay.” Twilight jumped in before Fluttershy could leave. “You don’t have to worry about entering a room in your own home. And I really don’t want to worry any more.”

Fluttershy, true to her name, shyly turned around. “Okay, if you’re sure. Would you like some breakfast?”

“I’m not that hungry.” Twilight admitted. “But I’d like a cup of tea.”

Fluttershy smiled and trotted over to her small oven. “I have a new dandelion blend, um, if you’d like?”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “That sounds lovely. Thank you.”

“Oh that’s okay.” Fluttershy said meekly. “I usually don’t get much time to enjoy it myself. I get so busy in the mornings feeding and taking care of my animal friends.”

Twilight was surprised. She knew Fluttershy kept herself busy taking care of all the animals but she didn’t think the mare would be too busy for a cup of tea. She hoped she wasn’t skipping meals too. Twilight had never noticed how lithe Fluttershy looked. Not a thinness that came through an athletic lifestyle like Rainbow Dash, or through calorie control and exercise like Rarity. Fluttershy just seemed naturally thin, a pony with a good metabolism. Now Twilight wondered if there was a little more than that.

The train of thought was derailed as Fluttershy brought the tea over and the sweet smell of the dandelion hit her nose. “Thank you.” She took the cup in her magic and sipped at it slowly, enjoying the light, vegetal flavour – with just a hint of spice in the after taste, a little like chicory. “Delicious.”

Fluttershy smiled. “I’m so glad you like it.”

Twilight sipped a little more tea in silence, trying to ignore the elephant in the room. And the subject on her mind. Where Fluttershy had met an elephant Twilight couldn’t begin to guess, how she got it into her house was another mystery. The poor baby pachyderm had a cold and had kept Twilight awake for a long time with its sniffles.
“Thank you for letting me stay the night.”

Fluttshy nodded, taking a seat in a comfy chair. “Oh, it was no bother. I always have space for a friend in need.” She looked uneasily around for a few seconds. Twilight knew that look. Fluttershy had something on her mind but she was too nervous to ask. “umm...if you don’t mind me asking...and you don’t have to answer, if you don’t want to, but...ummm...”

“Why did I ask if I could stay over?” Twilight finished for her. Fluttershy looked relieved that the question had been taken from her. She nodded her head. Twilight nodded, taking a second to pass a tissue the size of a hand towel to the baby elephant. “Well, yesterday, with my parents. My mother invited me to join her at lunch, when I got there I found out she’d set me up on a blind date.”

“Oh, that’s nice.” Fluttershy grinned. The smile faded in seconds as she caught sight of Twilight’s expression. “Wasn’t it?”

Twilight’s expression softened. “Maybe. But I got angry. Ever since my parents got here my mother has been trying to set me up with somepony. She’s been talking to me about being single, about foals and starting a family. And every stallion she sees she’s been trying to set me up on dates with. When I saw her there, with Davenport from Quills and Sofas...” She sighed. “I lost my temper and said some hurtful things.”

“Oh my.”

“Then I ran back to the library I saw my dad. He’s been acting dumb too because of his mid-life crisis. I was still angry, so I said more things in the heat of the moment. They were such horrible things.”

“Oh dear.”

Twilight sighed and put down her teacup. “What am I going to do?”

“Well-”

“I know, I know, I should apologise.” Twilight sighed. “But...well...what if they’re mad at me for saying those things? What if they won’t talk to me?”

Fluttershy shook her head slowly. “I’m sure-”

Twilight slid off the sofa and started pacing. “What if they never want to see me again? What if they get Shining Armour, Cadence and Celestia to hate me too because of the things I said? What if Celestia banishes me? What if-”

She was interrupted by the elephant sneezing very loudly, knocking Twilight off her hooves with the blast. Fluttershy passed the elephant a fresh tissue.
“Umm...well Twilight...if you don’t mind me saying...I think you should apologise.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “But what if-”

Fluttershy, for the first time in her life, interrupted somepony. “Your family loves you. When somepony loves you, they forgive when you lose your temper. Especially when you’re sincere in your apology.” She walked over to Twilight and put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder. “All you need to do is apologise, there is nothing to worry about.”

“But-”

“Nothing.” Fluttershy said in her gentle cadence. “Just apologise and everything will work itself out from there.” Her reassuring smile and the warmth in her eyes made Twilight’s worry fade. Fluttershy was such a good friend. Always there when needed with a kind word and a reassuring hoof. A wonderful, caring pony, and quite beautiful too. For a mare.

“Thank you Fluttershy.” Twilight hugged her friend. Then turned and ran out of the door.

...***...

Closer to her home however, her courage and conviction started to fail. The fears and worries started trying to make a comeback. As Twilight reached a hoof out to the door latch even the memory of Fluttershy’s kind words wasn’t doing much to help her.

Before her courage failed her entirely Twilight eased the door open. She heard the voices of conversation inside.
“I don’t remember any of that?” came her dad’s voice.

“You’d been at too much of the punch. You decided it was a good idea to drag Shiny off to a quiet room to give him a stallion to stallion talk on what makes a successful marriage.” The voice of her mother. Far from sounding annoyed, the tone she’d been using when talking to Night Light over the last few days, she sounded amused, even like she’d been laughing. “Then Twilight was clinging to Princess Celestia, staring at her crown.”

Twilight cringed as she remembered the event. She'd sent apology letters the princess for a week before Celestia's own patience had died away and she had sent a letter back promising she would punish Twilight if she didn't stop apologising for something she had already forgiven the young pony for.

...***...

She hadn't known the punch was alcoholic, that had been the start of the problem. She'd thought of it as ordinary fruit punch, not that different to the punch Pinkie served at her parties. Twilight, thirsty after the days exploits (and rightly so) had gulped down three large cupfuls in rapid succession before someone had told her to slow down.

By then the damage was done, alcoholic punch on an empty stomach, in a mare who only had usually only had a glass of hard cider on Hearths-warming eve, all resulted in a drunk Twilight. Within minutes she was tipsy, within ten minutes she was heavily inebriated and hoped getting something to eat would help. Unfortunately somewhere between her seat and the buffet table her legs had decided they wanted to visit the punch bowl. They had diverted her against her will. The palace servants were very efficient at their jobs, they would refill your tea cup, or water glass when it was empty, be ready to place a nibble in an empty hoof should you signal you were hungry, they had even produced a very comfortable sofa for Rarity to swoon into when Pinkie had done her "see, food!" joke. So when a pony approached the punch bowl, looking at it with temptation and desire, they did what they do best and had placed a large mug into Twilight's hoof. She drank it, it would have been rude not to, at least that's what her addled mind had convinced her of. But once the glass was empty Twilight had found it full again. Somehow the glass she had just emptied had magically filled itself. She had to sit down and try and work this one out. She sipped at the liquid slowly, staring at the liquid with the intensity she usually showed a new book, trying to spot the very moment it refilled itself

"A pleasant end to the day isn't it Twilight?"

Twilight flinched, spilling some punch. Celestia had come from nowhere and was sitting next to her. Twilight stared, mouth agape at Celestia's head. She had never noticed before, just how beautiful Celestia's crown was.

...***...

Velvet started laughing. “She started trying to climb up Celestia to get it. She kept saying ‘Your crown. It’s pretty. A pretty princess crown. I like it. I wanna wear it. I wanna be a pretty princess too’." She had to stop, she was laughing too hard. Night Light’s hearty laugh, and Spike’s chuckle also joined the fray.

Sighing, shaking her head, Twilight eased the door open wider, making her presence known to the room.

Velvet jumped back in surprise. “Oh. Darling, it’s you.”

“Yeah....” Twilight said uneasily. “Can I come in?” She almost facehoofed. Without waiting for her mother to stop sniggering she walked into her home.

Her dad was sitting at the central table, a mug of coffee in his hooves, and a hot water bottle tied to his back. Spike was right behind him, topping up the bottle with fresh hot water. His face brightened when he saw Twilight. “Sparkle, I’m glad you’re back.”

‘At least he’s not calling me Kiddo.’ Twilight thought to herself. “Hi dad.” She muttered awkwardly. “How’s your back?”

Velvet nodded, tapping his flank. “Almost like new. A deep rubbing with some liniment, some painkillers and a healing spell to speed things along. The worst is over, we just need to let nature finish the rest.”

Healing spells weren't instant fixes, but they could speed up the healing process. When Rainbow Dash had broken her wing the doctors healing spells meant she was ready to leave hospital after a couple of days rather than weeks or months. She still had to let her body do a certain amount of healing, but the spells had gotten her through the worst in a hurry.

Twilight managed a smile, though it was small and weak. “I’m glad you’re here, I’ve got something to say to you. To both of you,” she added, looking at her mother. Velvet came around and sat next to her husband. Twilight took her deep breath and tried to fight the urge to run away. “I’m sorry for what I said. To both of you. They were hurtful things, horrible things. I shouldn’t have said them and you didn’t deserve to hear them. I’m....I’m sorry.” She bowed her head, looking away, expecting her parents to start yelling, or hating, or to threaten disowning.

What she didn’t expect was what Velvet said, “No dear. We deserved to hear those things.” She threw a glance sideways at Night Light. “Some of us more than others.” She sighed and looked back at Twilight. “It wasn’t right for me to try and interfere in your life like that. You’ll always be my little filly...but I suppose, I need to remember you’re a grown mare now.” She walked over and hugged Twilight tightly. “You’re independent and you are more than capable of taking care of yourself and own love life.” She stepped back after the hug, smiling proudly.

“Thanks mum.” Twilight blushed but managed to meet her parents gaze. “But, still, what I said-”

“Was exactly what we needed to hear.” Velvet interrupted. “You were right Twilight. We needed to sort our own lives. I suppose we were both in forms of denial. Your father with his....antics. And me,” she sighed, “trying too hard to fix your life, when it didn’t need fixing, was just my way of distracting myself from the problems in my own. So, after I’d taken care of your fathers back,” She gently put a hoof around Night Light’s shoulder. “We started talking about many things, we discussed many issues and worked out many of the problems that have been growing between us for so long.” She nuzzled Night Light’s cheek affectionately.

“Then they sent me to spend the night at Rarity’s.” Spike muttered, with a yawn. “Good thing too, all the talk was turning mushy. It was making me nauseous”

“You sent him to spend the night with Rarity?” Twilight gave her mother and father a dubious look. The way the two of them were blushing was not helping.

“Yes, well,” Velvet laughed lightly. “While we were talking we," She put her hoof around Night Light again and hugged him gently to not aggravate his back. “We remembered some of the things that made us fall in love.” Her blush deepened. “And after we sent Spike away we....rekindled...that love.”

Twilight was glad she stopped talking. The image alone was hard enough to handle without it being said out loud. The last thing she needed was details. “Right,” She muttered under her breath. “I must remember to wash the sheets on the guest bed.”

“It...wasn’t in the guest bed.” Night light grinned sheepishly. “Rainbow put me in yours. The firmer mattress was better for my back.”

“Right.” Twilight’s right eye twitched slightly. “Spike, burn my bed.”

“Sorry dear.” Velvet couldn’t meet her daughters gaze. Her face was bright pink from blushing. “But when the mood-”

Twilight slammed her hooves on the table. “MOM! You need to stop talking. Please.”

Velvet Grinned sheepishly. “Sorry dear.”

Night Light laughed.“Spike. You might as well burn that coat of mine while you’re at it.”

“Way ahead of you Uncle Night.” Spike laughed. He pointed to a waste basket next to Twilight’s desk. The three ponies looked inside to see a small pile of ashes piled up in the bottom.

Night Light nodded. “Good thing too.” It was his turn to blush. “I must have looked like an idiot.”

“You did.” Velvet, Twilight and Spike said at once. They all laughed, even Night Light.

...***...

Night Light had gone back to bed to rest his back. Spike had gone to let Rarity know the coat which haunted her nightmares was gone for good.

Twilight and Velvet were in the kitchen, enjoying a cup of tea.
“We’re both sorry for what we put you through this week Twilight dear.” Velvet said apologetically. She shook her head. “I’m surprised your patience lasted as long as it did.”

“It’s okay mum.” Twilight sighed. “I know you were trying to help. Even if you were going about it in the most annoying way.” They both shared a laugh. “You just wanted me to be happy.”

Velvet nodded, reaching across the table she rested her hoof on her daughters. “But I should have realised you are happy. Your life is just the way you want it to be right now. When you’re ready you’ll take it to the next step.” She grinned sheepishly. “I don’t say this enough, but I’m proud of you Twilight.”

Twilight blushed. “I know you are mum. And....thank you. I don’t think I could have a better mother.”

Author's Note:

Short but sweet chapter, I think it's kind of in keeping with the tone of the show. Ponies have said sorry, lessons have been learned and all is well.

Final chapter coming soon.