• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 5,073 Views, 708 Comments

Elements Change the Dark Hearts - Nightmare_0mega



What Measure is a Monster? When six darkened beings from different worlds and times are brought to Equestria, will they adapt to the peace, or seek to destroy it?

  • ...
7
 708
 5,073

PreviousChapters Next
Policy of Truth

"So," Elvis started, "What's all this for, caballo?"

Twilight, followed by an exuberant Pinkie and her large, disgruntled friend, answered him flatly. "Applejack needs our help. Apple Bloom said that they saw something strange sitting in their shack. We need to see how sound the situation is."

"You can quit with the alliteration now." Elvis said, nonplussed.

"Sorry." She considered her words carefully. "Apple Bloom also said that she wanted you to come along just in case our mystery guest ends up being dangerous later down the line. From what I was told, it seemed rather weak currently, being barely able to stand, so I doubt there isn't any danger. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little extra security."

"And there is nothing wrong with some extra company either!" Pinkie added with a bright smile.

"No, there isn't."

The trio made their way towards Sweet Apple Acres, talking about the current events between the three of them. Twilight talked about her research in trying to find a way to send Bael and Elvis where they belong. When Pinkie asked about Rarity's new friend, Dumah, Twilight replied he did not wish to go back to a place that has nothing left for him. She also went on to talk about how Fluttershy had left Ponyville for the week to continue trying to reform Discord while also helping Bael adjust. Pinkie merely talked about what's been going on at the bakery, and her disappointment that Dumah refused her offer of giving him a party. Elvis cheered the pink party planner up by offering to help construct an impromptu party for herself.

Upon reaching the farm's entrance, they noticed Applejack standing at the front of a closed barn, looking like she was rubbing her forehead in frustration. The trio approached her, and upon getting closer, they could hear the sound of laughter coming from inside.

"Ooh! Did someone tell a doozy of a joke?" Pinkie asked harmlessly, "I'm down for a good gut buster, hee hee!"

"Applejack may have a sharp wit, but she's no stage comedian," Twilight responded, "Besides, that laughter sounds a little... unhinged."

"You ain't whistling dixies on that one, caballo."

"Ain't nopony gonna say howdy 'fore they start talkin' like ah'm not there?" Applejack deadpanned, looking toward them.

"Sorry, Applejack, I guess we were-"

"Howdy, Applejack!" Pinkie interrupted in exclamation, punctuating it with a hug.

Applejack returned the hug to her friend. "Heh, howdy to ya too, Pinkie. Whachya doin' here?"

"Well, Twilight said you needed Elvis, so I thought I'd come along in case you needed me too."

"That's mighty kind o' you, sugarcube, but ah don't think he'd take too kindly to yer special brand of hospitality."

"He?" Pinkie asked.

"The varmint in the barn," the farm pony growled lightly.

"Anyway," Twilight cut in, "Sorry we were just talking behind your back there, I guess-"

"Think nothin' of it. Sorry ah was a bit short with you guys. Ah've just been havin' a bit of a time dealin' with our new guest."

"And what does our new guest look like exactly? Apple Bloom didn't supply any real details aside from that it looked red and grey, and really weird."

"To tell the truth, ah ain't seen anythin' like him before, 'cept with some vague similarities with Elvis,"

"He looks like a human?" Elvis asked.

"Ah don't have the foggiest of what a 'hew-mahn' is, but, sure, ah guess he does, if that's whachyer supposed to look like."

"Mind if we go inside the barn to see him for ourselves?" Twilight asked.

"Sure, if that's what ya want. Ah'll warn ya'll now. He has a bit of a sharp tongue. Mocked me fer the ten minutes it took you to git here."

"Well, THAT'S mean," Pinkie noted with a slight frown.

"Ya'll have no idea," she said flatly, "Oh, pardon mah question, but where's Apple Bloom?"

"Oh, I sent her off to find her friends. She isn't still grounded, is she?"

"Nah. She served her punishment. It'd be best she weren't here anyway at the moment. Not with that thing in the barn, at least."

Applejack opened the barn door, and the group stepped inside to see Monsoon leaning against a support beam. The reactions were quite varied: from Twilight's intrigued shock, Elvis' indifference, and Pinkie's elation. Applejack tapped on the bouncing pink pony's shoulder and shook her head at her friend, silently telling her whatever she was planning would be best put on hold. Pinkie quickly got the point, and bounced a lot slower while minimizing her smile to show that she understood the mute request.

Twilight glanced back and forth from Monsoon and Elvis, and took note of a few things. While there were similarities, such as facial structure, limb and muscle structure, and stature, the differences were all the more apparent. First thing to note was height differences. Elvis was easily a head and a half taller than Equestria's latest strange visitor. The fact, however, didn't make the maroon and darkly colored being any less intimidating. Which brought her to the other major difference that piqued her interest. Elvis looked relatively "normal", as far as she could tell without knowing what a human even was. Perhaps a little too rolly-polly if the belly button peeking out of his shirt was any indication, but not necessarily off. Monsoon however looked almost completely artificial. Even the skin of his face, however much she could actually see, seemed more like an imitation than real flesh. She knew that he had to be a living being rather than some construct, cause she can almost feel a natural stance and reaction of exhaustion coming from him. None the less, looking at this almost entirely synthetic being evoked a sense of caution as well as curiosity. No doubt the scientific secrets he held would mystify her for weeks, if not months or years.

"Would someone kindly tell that purple mutant horse to stop staring? It's not exactly polite," Monsoon sneered, kicking Twilight out of her revere. Applejack rubbed her face in a sigh, trying not to retaliate blindly on her friend's behalf.

"You're as mouthy as the average human, that's for sure," Elvis quipped as if he were confirming his suspicions.

"And what do we have here?" Monsoon asked, directing his attention to Elvis, "Something other than talking livestock. Seems like you've been working hard climbing to the top of the food chain, haven't you? Or were you just snacking on pastries all day?"

"Hey!" Pinkie interjected, "I worked hard making those pastries!"

Applejack couldn't help but chuckle a little as Elvis brought his hand to his forehead in annoyance. "Rosa, you're not helping."

"This is rather pathetic," Monsoon started with a dark laugh, "Honestly, if it weren't for my sensors indicating this was in fact reality, I'd have to believe I was hallucinating."

"You know," Twilight interjected, musing more to herself, "You're taking this a lot easier than one would think."

"It's only nature, running it's course," he said grimly, "If the universe means me to to be here, then who am I to question it? We have no choices to make. Nothing to answer for. This is a prime example." He looked Twilight dead in the eyes with a sickly grin. "Besides, what difference does it make if I'm here or back in Colorado. No matter where I'll be, I'll still be in a world of illusion and pestilence. Sapience merely brings disease and the grandest delusion of all: the idea of free will. Such fantasies are enough to irritate those truly aware of the natural order."

"You're starting to get on my nerves, pendejo." Elvis interjected.

"And what exactly do you plan to do about it?" Monsoon asked, "Talk is cheap, after all. If you really are a predator instead of a couch potato, then show me!"

Elvis balled his fists hard, and took one step forward. Monsoon grinned at the movement, but noticed the pink pony nudging the rotund man. Elvis looked down to Pinkie, whom had a look of concern in her eyes. Upon meeting her gaze, mutely pleading to him, Elvis let his hands unfurl and his anger slip away.

Monsoon let out a roar of laughter. "How exquisite! Subdued by a beast of burden, like a mouse to a lion. A true fairytale before my eyes!"

"Now, you just hold it right there, mister," Applejack started, "What the hay are you tryin' to say? That somethin' like Elvis can't get along with somethin' like us? That we can't have a peaceful friendship, as unlikely as it may be?"

"Peace. Friendship." He shrugged lightly, shaking his head. "What tired memes."

"Memes?" Twilight asked.

Monsoon ignored her and continued. "It's just a prettier, idealized version of a mutual alliance. As temporary as it is ultimately pointless. The world is about the self. The survival of the fittest. One day, you will need to turn your back on your allies to achieve your goals, and that's only if you don't die before it happens."

Twilight gritted her teeth in frustration, listening to him mock the very thing she held dear to her and studied for the longest time. However, it was Applejack that stepped forward.

"Now wait just a darn minute! Friendship ain't anything to laugh at. It helps us grow as individuals, makin' us stronger and better. Ah know ah wouldn't be the mare ah am t'day if it weren't fer mah friends. Ah'd likely still be trying to harvest an entire crop by mahself."

Monsoon clicked his artificial tongue in annoyance. "You know, I almost forgot what you are with that display of self awareness. But honestly, you're just replacing such a glorified word for what it really is. A herd mentality. I commend you for at least not lying to yourself, but stop romanticizing it."

"Ah ain't romanticizin' nothin'," Applejack spat with a snarl, "Ah value mah friends as much as ah value mah family, mah home, and even mah own life."

"How long would that last, Jack?" Monsoon retorted, "Even under the rules of the herd, dissent can still happen. You may still come to blows to each other, for one reason or another. We are all savages, even you oh-so-peaceful herbivores."

"That's easy," Applejack said with a smug grin, "Compromise. We can't always have exactly what we want, but we CAN hit the middle ground and git what we need."

"And what if your ideals are challenged? What if something comes forth opting for change in a much larger way than just some small disagreement? A shift in your so carefully established order. How would you compromise for that, or are you willing to fight tooth and nail to keep it the same?"

Applejack didn't entirely know how to answer that. It's true that most minor conflicts could be settled with compromise, but she also recalled on more than a few occasions that she and her friends fought to save Equestria. They fought to save their lives, their homes, and their peace. Their established order.

"No answer?" Monsoon asked with a mocking grin, "That's expected, Jack. You think you fight for what you believe is right, when in reality you're merely fighting for your own selfish desires of how the world should be. It's a hard pill to swallow, but maybe now you know you have all been living a lie. True, mutual peace can never be accomplished, just as the weather can't be changed by our will."

Applejack smiled to Monsoon's last remark. "Really? That's funny, cause, we CAN change the weather."

Monsoon's smile faltered. "That's a good joke, but it doesn't really help your case. Impossible is impossible for a reason."

"Don't believe me? See for yourself."

With that, Applejack, Pinkie, Twilight, and Elvis stepped aside, clearing a path for Monsoon to exit the barn. Curious, he stepped forth, hobbling a little as he was still adjusting to his returning strength, and walked outside. The landscape, though rather damp from the showers of last night, was vibrant and full of life. Even the town in the distance looked pastel and bright to him. And there, high in the sky, were winged horses, pushing around and kicking clouds into nothing, literally shaping the weather.

"The way ah see it," Applejack stated, "by yer logic, if we can shape the weather, we can find a way to accomplish true peace for everyone. Herbivore or otherwise. We CAN change a life of takin' to be a life of givin'. And we have, fer many many years."

"No," Monsoon uttered in dawning despair.

"What's wrong, 'Soony?" Pinkie asked, "Never seen a pegasus before?"

"This is impossible. This is an affront to NATURE!" He spat, spinning around, glaring at the four of them.

"This IS nature fer us, or don't you get that yet?" Applejack retorted.

Monsoon clutched his head, everything in his mind spinning and shattering as his perception of reality was challenged in the heaviest ways. He let a harrowing howl of anguish, everything in his body and soul telling him he needed to get away. As he activated two more electrolyte packs, giving him an extra boost of energy, he suddenly got up, and ran blindly into the forest from whence he came.

The four onlookers stood flabbergasted at the display in abject silence. They all looked to each other, unsure of whether or not they went too far, or if his sudden departure could end up becoming dangerous later down the line. In the end, the decided to go their separate ways, where Elvis and Pinkie returned to the bakery and Twilight returned to her library. Applejack wandered back to the house, and found Granny Smith sitting in a rocking chair, apparently having seen the whole thing.

"That whipper snapper has more than a few screws loose, eh?" she said, "Just because ya don't agree with somethin' don't mean ya should run away like like a school yard bully that got 'is comeuppance."

"Ah don't think this were some little disagreement he had, Granny," Applejack responded. She looked to the forest that Monsoon disappeared to. Ah hope you'll be alright. she thought honestly, before heading back inside to finally get ready for her day.

-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-

Monsoon bounded through the forest, vaulting over fallen trees and crashing through bushes in his way, trying to go as deep and as far from the source of his discontent as he could. As soon as he felt he was as deep enough inside, he slowed down, gradually sauntered up the the biggest tree nearby, and sat beneath it. Rubbing the top of his head out of habit, he tried to process what he saw.

Denial was the first thing to cross his mind. Despite what he saw, he kept telling himself there was no way that a horse could fly, let alone shape the sky as they saw fit. Then he remembered how his ocular sensors picked up their proper body heat signatures, utterly dashing his hopes of out and out denial. He then figured it must have just been some clever parlor trick, but that still didn't explain the airborne equines that were now scarred at the back of his mind.

The whole thing was enough to keep him from appreciating the irony of it all. A cybernetic man that can detach pieces of him at will and manipulate metal objects in the style of psychokinesis couldn't believe the idea of weather manipulating, flying, talking ponies. To be fair, he could buy the talking ponies bit. He was an avid subscriber to the idea of evolution, and figured it wasn't impossible for herbivores to reach sapience, no matter how unlikely it would be. However, the idea of magic was just simply inconceivable, if not entirely absurd.

He violently scratched at his helm, clenching his teeth together in frustration, slowly coming to terms with the reality. Despite his slow attempt at coping, he couldn't entirely accept it.

"Those things," he uttered bitterly, "how much do they bastardize the rules of nature for their own whims? How long have they fought against the way things should be? How is it possible?"

As if being answered, clicks within the trees all around him seemed to rhythmically play out in agreement. Monsoon stopped and listened closely. It almost sounded like Morse code, if only so heavily encrypted that it seemed scattered and broken. It was then that he had the feeling that he was being watched intently. Slowly, the cyborg got up from his seat, getting into a defensive stance as he pawed at his red phosphorous grenades at his sides.

"I'm in no mood to be spied on. If you don't have a death wish, then it would be wise if you'd kindly leave. I have more than enough on my mind as it is without eavesdroppers."

Then, there was a voice. A female voice. Commanding, dark, sultry, and reverberating from within itself. It made the atmosphere of the forest feel much heavier and much more dangerous.

"Oh, don't be so harsh on a kindred spirit, stranger," the voice said. The leaves all around him shook and swayed as if to emphasize the comment positively. "I want nothing more than to share in your burden, and help you any way I can."

Monsoon tightened up a bit more, weary of the unknown that not even his sensors could track. "Show yourself, before I pull a disappearing act of my own. And considering the lack of cyborgs that I've seen, I highly doubt you'd be able to handle it." Then, he pulled one of the grenades from one of his pouches, and held it aloft. "You have three seconds."

There was a light chuckle, as the leaves shook and began blowing from a wind that mysteriously started up. The leaves began to increase in number as they swirled in the air, and focused in front of him. Not a moment later, a pitch black being with a long, dark cerulean mane and translucent insect wings stepped out from the torrent of loose foliage. Monsoon slowly put the grenade back into its rightful pouch, and clicked it shut before relaxing. It stood eye level to the cyborg, and stared confidently at him with moderate harlequin green eyes, with slits of greyish opal pupils.

"And what are you supposed to be?"

The new being gave him a dark, sharp toothed smile, complete with fangs, before saying, "Why I, my dear stranger, am Queen Chrysalis. And this, is my hive." With that declaration, the forest around him warped, as hundreds of smaller creatures like her, minus the lengthy manes, appeared all around him, as if they were all under a natural version of optic-camo. Monsoon was both impressed and disturbed that they were able to hide so well, even from his advanced optical sensors. "And I mean exactly what I've offered earlier. I want to help you."

She slowly cantered forward confidently, keeping her eyes on him as he kept his on her. "I want to correct this obvious abhorrent affront to nature those ponies have been causing for so long. I want a world that obeys the course of the world. The true, natural course. And most of all, my little guest," she said, stepping up face to face, inches away from Monsoon, "I want to send you home, to where you belong. Do you accept my offer?"

Monsoon stared into her fatal eyes. Their dark reflection mirrored his blood colored helm as he smiled wickedly within them. "Tell me, your Majesty, what do you require of me?"

Author's Note:

Depeche Mode

PreviousChapters Next