• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 4,246 Views, 87 Comments

The Lotus Eaters - horizon



Ponies return from visits to a world without their greatest regret.

  • ...
6
 87
 4,246

Scootaloo

The door swings open. The filly staggers out, squinting in the sunlight, staring at nothing in particular, a beatific smile on her muzzle.

The other fillies' faces light up.

"Scootaloo!" the unicorn cries.

"Didja get your Cutie Mark?" the earth pony shouts, hopping excitedly in place.

The pegasus blinks hard, finally seeming to focus. She looks at her two best friends, muzzle falling blank, until recognition sparks in her eyes. The smile slowly spreads back in.

She leans toward them and whispers, as if telling the world's best secret: "Better."

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom gasp. "What?" "What happened?" "What'd you do?"

Speaking slowly, enunciating every word, the little pegasus says: "The best thing in the world."

They stare at her in open-mouthed awe.

Scootaloo grins madly. "I'll show you. Watch." She leaps up to the railing around the machine's entrance. Her tiny wings flare out to full extension. She strikes a dramatic pose in the afternoon light, crouches, braces, and leaps.

She hangs for a moment in midair, the day's light breeze whipping through her mane, eyes closed, listening to the exuberant cheers of her friends, breaking loose of the bonds of gravity.

Then she plows headfirst into the ground.