• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 12,764 Views, 255 Comments

Avocation - Kwakerjak



Penumbra seeks gainful employment.

  • ...
22
 255
 12,764

V. Weatherpony

HRH Princess Luna of Equestria
The Royal Palace
Canterlot

Your Majesty:

According to Pinkie Pie, the best way to avoid succumbing to discouragement is to assess one’s situation with positivity. Thus, it gives me great pleasure to report that I have managed to maintain employment for more than one day.

In truth, however, I was rather stunned to be offered a job on the local weather team in the first place. I would have thought that my record of attempted regicide would disqualify me from any sort of government position. I had not realized that “The Nightmare” and “Penumbra” were considered two separate entities for legal purposes, nor do I now know whether to attribute this to your sister’s goodwill or to an intercession on your part, though I suspect that particular question will be answered in your response.

Rainbow Dash seemed to be quite impressed with my abilities in my initial evaluation, though this may be due to her astonishment that I would even think to clear the skies of clouds by using lightning to cause a chain reaction, rather than bucking the clouds one at a time with my hind legs. Then again, she may have been equally engrossed by the fact that I was able to produce the initial bolt by kicking a cloud with one of my forehooves, as opposed to jumping on top of it. Personally, though, I see no reason why she should have been surprised at this display. After all, you originally made me as powerful as your sister, and even in my diminished state, my pegasus magic is nearly as strong as hers.

In any case, my talent for creating lightning lead Rainbow Dash to place me with Thunderlane, a stallion who specializes in the management of cumulonimbus clouds. I must confess that I thought this sounded like a very noble profession, and I was glad to learn that a thunderstorm had fortuitously been scheduled that very afternoon, which would give me an opportunity to observe how a millennium of progress had affected the creation of these most majestic of clouds.

Sadly, what I witnessed that day was not the artful and meticulous condensation of the water vapor in the local atmosphere, but rather the assembly of clumps of mass-produced cloud that had been delivered from a factory. Rainbow Dash explained to me that this was necessary, as pegasi would have no time to control all the weather in Equestria if each cloud had to be specially made for the occasion. But why can they not simply allow the weather to run its natural course, only interfering when absolutely necessary, as in the old days? Have these ponies truly become so shiftless as to prefer the convenience of meteorological foreknowledge to the quality of a hoof-crafted rainstorm?

Still, despite my disappointment, I returned to work the following day, which was mostly spent keeping cumulus clouds from overdeveloping. Thunderlane was quite casual in his interactions with me, but, having learned my lesson from the spa incident, I interpreted these as normal workplace conversations. I did, however, find it very odd when he expressed his approval of my “tight flank.” I proceeded to ask him why he thought the region on my side between my rib cage and my hind legs was “tight.” The conversation that followed revealed that he had actually been referring to the general area to the rear of my cutie mark. Accordingly, I informed him that that area was actually called the “haunch,” and that one should not be careless with words, lest they lose their specificity and therefore their general usefulness. Thunderlane agreed with this idea, and he subsequently promised to use the proper terminology in the future.

Five minutes later, it occurred to me that Thunderlane’s initial remark implied that he had been staring at my haunches. Alas, Rainbow Dash pushed a cloud between him and the bottom of Ghastly Gorge, causing me to waste a perfectly executed buck to the jaw. By the end of the day, I had tendered my resignation, citing the unfriendly work environment. That said, Rainbow Dash seemed genuinely disappointed to see me go and informed me that she was more than willing to make a position available should I change my mind—but so long as that particular stallion remains on the Ponyville weather team, this seems unlikely.

Ever the optimist, Pinkie Pie insisted that the fact that I had lasted twice as long at this position as I had at the others was evidence that I was gaining valuable workplace experience. I have no doubt that she genuinely believes this to be true, though whether it would be prudent for me to entertain this idea is uncertain.

Yours sincerely,
Penumbra Noctis