• Published 31st Jan 2013
  • 2,907 Views, 62 Comments

Clipped Wings - Tavi n Scratch



After losing what is most precious to her in the entire world, her partner Twilight, Rainbow cannot fly.

  • ...
15
 62
 2,907

Symphony

I close my eyes as the bright light envelops me. When I can see again I am back. It is all exactly as I remember it, nothing had changed since I left it. I’m unsure what to feel until I hear a voice.

“It’s alright, this is real,” I see it but I have a hard time believing it. “You are safe here, and you are with me.”

I turn to look at Twilight, the sun illuminates her beautiful face. “Hi,” that’s all I can really manage to say, I’m just so overwhelmed. Before me stands the most beautiful mare in all of Equestria, the mare who was ripped from my life all too suddenly, and here she is. The air is filled with the aroma of lavender.

Her gentle smile turns into a wide grin as she tackles me into the soft flowers, giggling like a little filly. “Oh Rainbow I missed you, but now you’re here. Now everything’s alright, we don’t have to be alone anymore. We have the rest of forever to be together.” By this time I’m giggling too, our eyes meet and we kiss. A true and passionate kiss. All doubt in my mind crumbles and blows away.

This is where I’m supposed to be.

I stand up and unfurl my wings, “It’s been quite a while since either of us have gone flying, would you like to join me, Twi?” She nods and climbs onto my back and wraps her forelegs around my neck, and together we take off into the sky.

I can taste the clouds once more, and they are all that much sweeter since I’m with her.

~~~

Time goes on, but it never drags. Twi and have spent an eternity together, and we have another eternity before us. It is bliss, being able to be with her, but sometimes we think of our friends. I can always tell by the look on her face whenever Twilight is thinking of Equestria, she doesn’t look sad, she looks tired, as if memories take up too much energy. But we still have each other.

Then they start to show up, Applejack being the first. I always told her that she worked too hard for her own good. She just showed up in the meadow one day, out of the blue. Twilight and I were so glad to see her, it was nice to have another friend from back home.

After a while Pinkie Pie showed up, I guess she partied a bit too hard. And what’s more, she and Applejack were married, they just waited until they were both there to tell us. Makes sense though, Pinkie would’ve gotten AJ to lighten up a bit and AJ could’ve helped Pinkie to work harder. I wonder when they first became a couple.

Short after, Rarity arrived, all the stress from her job always seemed so overwhelming to me. She was as happy to see as to see us as we were to have her here. The group was almost complete again, all that was missing was a yellow pegasus.

Then, it seemed like just moments later, Fluttershy joined us. It makes sense that she was last, she lived so healthily. We were always the best of friends, all of us.

And like that, the group was back together, just like old times

~~~

We trot slowly towards the tree, heading away from the rest of the group. It certainly was nice to be with our friends again, but it meant the two of us hardly ever had any time to ourselves. A cool breeze blows across the field, carrying the soothing scent of the lavender with it. I see Twi shiver out of the corner of my eye, so I pull her close with a wing. She nuzzles my neck, and even after all this time, I still feel butterflies in my stomach.

It’s great to no longer be alone. All of that time by myself, it was just too much to bear. But now it’s in the past, I can forget all about it, pretend like it never happened. Yet, part of me doesn’t want to forget. and I think I know why. Spending those seven months without Twi has made me come to a realization. She wasn’t just the love of my life, she was the most important part of it.

But now I’m past that. I am here and I am with her, that’s all I could ever want, everything I could have asked for. We sit under the tree, just like many times before. It is wonderful, I will be able to spend forever here, with her. Nothing bad can happen to us here, we are safe.

“You okay?” Twilight’s voice shakes me out of my thought. She sounds concerned.

“I’m fine, why do you ask?” My question answers itself as I feel a tear roll down my cheek. “Oh, just ignore that, I was just thinking.”

“What of?”

“Just us, everything we’ve been through.”

A smile crosses her face, “It’s not important anymore, we’ll have each other forever. There’s no need to cry.” She gently wipes the tear from my face then kisses me. “You don’t have to be alone anymore.” She smiles.

“I guess you’re right,” I can feel the sadness leaving me, as if a rain cloud moving out of the way of the sun. I sit down in our usual spot. “Join me?”

She sits next to me and lays her head on my neck and we sit there for hours, just talking, being in love. After a while she dozes off, the whole serenity of this place was so relaxing, and it was made all the better now that I could share it with her again.

I nodded off under the shade of a willow tree, in a meadow of lavender.

Author's Note:

That was harder to write than it needed to be, and thus took more time than it should have. Sorry about the wait.

Comments ( 21 )

bravo i came
great story

Amazing story, just amazing. Though I've read so many stories like this before, and one thing always bugs me; where are the parents? don't you think they would show up? or be there? and what about shining? surly they would show up eventually. anyway, that's just me. truly amazing story, best of luck with any furture stories you deicde to write.

Man you made me all teary!

You sir or mama are amazing

Beautiful.... is all I can say:fluttershysad::fluttershbad::fluttercry:

And we have closure. Beautiful, satisfying closure. I can only hope the end of the journey is just as beautiful and wondrous. :fluttercry:

2114784 I actually planned a scene with Twilight's family, but it was just too difficult to write, so I cut it. I think it's not written much because it's hard to write it correctly.

IM CRYING LIKE A LIL BABY I WANT FUCKING MOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRR:yay:

The feels! :raritycry:

I Only have one major gripe with story in general.

Twilight's death was never explained!
I wanted to hear how it happened the whole time, and was left unsatisfied at the end. it is a well written story, but you really missed an opportunity to connect readers with the plot.

Also, What happened to Rainbow Dash back in Equestria? this left me very unfulfilled and empty, as I never really felt any attachment or real closure was presented.
Sorry if this is insulting, but I am just voicing my opinion

2155205 I completely understand what you are saying, but I felt this information had no place in the story due to it being Rainbow's perspective.

Rainbow never wanted to think about Twi's death, but if you'd like to know it has a brain disease, very quiet until the final stages. Originally there was going to be a medical report, but it felt like it just detracted a bit and I couldn't get it right.

As for her leaving Equestria, one part of me says she ceased to exist, disappeared, and Celestia explained it to the others. However, I am writing a more dark-style alternate ending which I'll put up here once it's finished, it is being very irksome right now though, kinda difficult to write.

I appreciate your thoughts :twilightsmile:

Quite the perfect song to go with this here story.
[youtube=1aVHLL5egRY]

Such a touching story, well done, I haven't cried like this for a while. :fluttercry:

Soo... Am I the only one that found that a bit creepy? I mean... Dash basically killed herself there.

Edit: Alrighty, as I go over this some more in my head, I'm gonna have to actually reclassify this as horrifying. This is a story about a woman who loses someone she loves and literally cannot cope. She drops into a depression so deep that she can no longer perform a task that was once like breathing. No one can help her and, finally, during her ruler's attempt to give her closure, she drops dead in what could easily be seen as a magically assisted suicide.

I think this really does need the Dark tag. Just because you don't actually see the spine-crunching horror that Pinkie, Rariry, Fluttershy and Applejack have to go through after losing a second friend in less than a year (possibly with Celestia's participation!) doesn't mean it's not there.

and yet another relapse into depression.

Amazing story. I can hardly remember the last time a story got me to cry. I think it was a couple years ago when I girst read MLD. Good job.

This is actually the first fanfic I've ever read and I love it so much! Almost made me cry and that's pretty hard to do actually :fluttercry:

A truly heartfelt story.

I haven't read this but the title and chapter names are enough to give the feels a beating. Other than that, I gotta say, the heart is a feels detector, and mine was hit like Japan. Now to read this saddening story.

This is an amazing story, I was sobbing all the way through it:fluttercry: which means it was written very well. Well done!:rainbowdetermined2:

The chain that is death binds all mortals, no matter where it may be. Be it nowhere or somewhere, we die eventually and go to that place. The only question left is where will we go, only the dead know.

Login or register to comment