• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 5,176 Views, 80 Comments

A Sparkle of love - Silentpegasus

  • ...
16
 80
 5,176

Chapter 9: House call

Chapter 9

House call

Echo was too anxious to sleep, he visited Stars grave. He wanted to see her again, if it was just for a second. He spent hours there reminiscing all the memories and moments the two shared. He suddenly felt a tap on his shoulder he looked up to see Skyline looking down at him.

“It’s time, are you ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” Echo got to his hooves. He walked back the clinic double checking his strategy, making sure he had everything in place. He stopped by the clinic one last time, he looked over his equipment and potions. He looked over at the abandoned desk and put the locket around his neck and proceeded to meet with the gang leaders. With their forces gathered Echo began to long walk towards the Talon base. He met with Ace who gave him the lay out of the complex. The Talon’s ‘base’ was just an old warehouse that used to manufacture construction parts, Ace had cleared the main entrance and was taking him in to see the Black Beak. Echo wore a black cloak to cover his face. As the two entered the compound Ace nodded to some ponies and griffins that soon left their posts. They entered his office and sat down. Black Beak was significantly larger than Echo and Ace Beak.

“So this is the Devil Doctor. It’s good to finally meet you, I am Black Beak Captain of the Red Talons.” he said with a grin.

“The feeling is mutual. Since I know your busy I’ll get straight to the point I need four thorns in my side gone. It’s extremely important so I came to the best and you will be paid handsomely.”

“You flatter me and I would be glad to assist such a pony of your stature. Simply tell me the names and I’ll get right on it.”

“Thank you. Their names are Feather Claw, Blue Talon and Black Wing.” he said as the large griffin froze in astonishment.

“My subordinates. Why would you want them dead? And you said three names who’s the fourth?”

“As to why I want them dead is because they killed a mare. My assistant, my friend, Star Chaser! and the fourth name is your own.” Black Beak began to laugh hysterically at the statement. “What’s so funny?”

“The thought that you a little pony dare threaten me. Black Beak captain of the Red Talons, leader of the largest gang in Detrot.”

“Well I don’t know about that.” Echo said as he snickered.

“What’s the joke? I could use a laugh.” Black Beak said with a small grin.

“How your arrogance blinds you, from what’s happening around you.” Suddenly the room began to shake violently the smell of fire and smoke soon filled the room. Black Beak looked out the window to see a massive force invading the complex.

“Guards! we have intruders!” his expression then shifted to one that of pure fear as his two guards were just thrown through the windows and into the room battered and beaten.

“Looks like your out of cards to play.”

“Ace I order you to-” he was cut off by his brother’s icy glare. “What no. Why? You’re my brother how could you betray me like this?”

“Your greed and power have blinded you and you’ve broken the sacred rules that you yourself agreed upon when you took over the Red Talons.” Three more cloaked ponies entered the rooms each carrying a bound griffin on their back.

“My Lieutenants!” he yelled.

“You grabbed power.” Turner said as he entered the room.

“Twisted the rules for your own gain.” Skyline added.

“Made a mockery of us, you’re no longer fit to lead the ‘Red Talons’.” Fire Starter said with rage in her voice.

“I think you’ve met my accomplices before.” Echo said with a flat tone.

“Fire Starter, Skyline and even you Turner! Why? You were my comrades I trusted you.”

“And you murdered our friend in cold blood.” Turner retorted.

“What you mean that stupid little mare? What about her?”

“She was my assistant and my friend.” Echo said as he got up from his seat. “What I want to know is why? What did she do to deserve death! She was harmless she didn’t have anything to do with this.” he bellowed.

“Is it really that big a mystery to you? It’s because she was your assistant that she was targeted.” he said with a laugh.

“What?”

“You were my biggest threat ,you would heal my enemies and gave them hope. I despise hope, it gives ponies ideas that they might be successful and try and do something stupid.”

“Why..You!” Echo bellowed to enraged to form a proper sentence.

“Oh please don’t act so childish. It’s your own fault for getting Star involved in your ‘business’, if you hadn’t then she would be safe and sound some where. Instead she’s taking a dirt nap.”

“......” Echo was too shocked to respond.

“I see your beginning to understand, heres a tip. If you have some-pony you want to protect then keep them at a distance.” he said with a smug grin. Fire and Skyline were about to tackle Black Beak, Echo held them back.

“No, he’s mine. You can do what you wish to the lieutenants, consider it a gift for helping me.” the three gang leaders suddenly had a grin spread across their faces they grabbed the unconscious griffins and left the room along with Ace. Leaving the two alone in his office.

“So what do we do now? Oh I know, how about a night out on the town, grab some drinks, meet some mares who knows?” he said with a laugh.

“I have a better idea.” Echo grabbed the griffon and threw him through the window. The large creature landed with a hard crash as he got to his feet Echo jumped down on the griffins back sending him into the ground once again. The ware house was going up in flames and there wasn’t much time. A large beam then fell on the griffon, trapping him inside the inferno. “Well look at this, trapped in your own castle. Irony you are a clever mistress. But I think It’s time I take my leave so I guess this is goodbye Black Beak.” Echo then materialized a knife he was going in for the kill, he saw what he wanted, his friend’s murderer pleading for his life, hoping that some how something would save him. Not this time. As he trotted closer he saw the fear in the griffin’s eyes, he suddenly stopped his advancement and looked down at Star’s locket. He began to remember her who she was and what she stood for.

I still don’t think we should have let him walk away like that.

C’mon Echo every-pony deserves a second chance, I gave you one remember?

Yeah, yeah I know.

Those words started to ring in his mind. He looked down at the frightened griffin who now had his eyes closed awaiting his eventual demise. Echo then began to walk forward, towards the wounded griffin. Black Beak then felt the massive beam being lifted off his beaten body.

“What? What’s going on?” he said as Echo brought a hoof down on his face knocking him out. Echo then lifted the griffin on his back and began to gallop out of the burning building. As they cleared the door the fire had reached the chemical storage part of the facility, the flames hit the canisters the entire building was engulfed in an explosion. The force was deafening, it sent the two crashing into the nearest building. Echo’s face was covered in cut’s and blood he could feel his body burning from the explosion he looked down in horror to see that a steed rod had penetrated his front right hoof hoof. He staggered towards the damaged griffin, his wings were burnt to a crisp and his back was covered in blisters. Echo lifted the griffon with his magic and made it out of the building. The three ponies raced to his side, they wore a look of surprise at the sight of the griffin on his back.

“Why is he still alive?” Ace said in shock.

“He has nothing left, his gang has crumbled, his operation’s are all but mute. It would be more painful if he lived in that state rather than killing him.” he said as Sky line put Echo’s hoof around his neck.

“Is that the only reason?” Fire starter asked as she lifted his other hoof over her shoulder. Echo adverted his gaze from the two.

“I couldn’t do it.” he said in defeat.

“Didn’t have the gut’s huh?” Turner said in annoyance.

“Turner! That’s enough!” Skyline shouted at the tan stallion.

“No, he’s right. I couldn’t kill him.”

“Why? Blindly, stupidly disregarding the graveyards he’s filled and the ponies he’s crippled. What about Star! Does she mean nothing to you?” Turner bellowed.

“Star wouldn’t want this! She wouldn’t want me to become like him, a murderer. She always saw the good in others.” Echo said with tears streaming down his face. Echo then began to cough up blood.

“We need to get you to a hospital.” Skyline said.

“No! Just get me to the clinic, I can handle things from there.”

“Alright, what do we do about him?” Golden asked as he pointed to hi brother.

“Give him to the cops, let them deal with him.”

“Are you nut’s he’s gonna walk!” Golden protested.

“No he won’t. He has no connections, no power and no one to turn too. Without that he’s going to be locked away for a long, long time. Turner, go with him, go to a detective Stabler. Tell him I sent you, he’s a good officer and will make sure he get’s was coming to him.” The griffin and the earth pony took off towards the police station while the other three ponies made their way back to the clinic. As they trotted inside the clinic Echo summoned his medical equipment. “I’m gonna need a hoof here.”

“Not a problem. what do you need?” Fire Starter asked.

“Some bandages and some disinfectant, they should be in that cabinet over there.” he said as he pointed with his hoof.

“Sure hang on a second.” she said as she trotted over to the cabinet and retrieved the items.

“Good, Sky i need you to get this rod out of my leg.”

“What?”

“After that’s done, Fire I need you to cauterize the would with your magic, okay.”

“Um...sure.” she said with a nervous voice.

“Alright then on three........one........two......three!” Echo cried out in agony as he removed the bar, the next wave of pain came from the burning sensation from the injury seconds later. Sky held him down as Fire starter finished. “Alright....good. Now that the hard part’s out of the way.” he said as he summoned a vial of blue liquid. Echo drank down the potion with haste, he suddenly felt relaxed. “Okay now that that’s done, Fire I’m gonna need you to cauterize the rest of my wounds.”

“What if I tried sewing them?”

“Please I’ve see you try to stitch a shirt. I think I’ll take the safe route and just have you set me on fire.” he said with a grin. “Sorry blame the potion.” The next few hours were spent patching up the doctor who would feel the pain after the drug took it’s corse. After she had finished cauterizing the wound Sky began to wrap his friend in bandages, by the end he looked like a mummy. After he was done Echo got to his hooves and began to walk out of the clinic to find Turner and Ace standing there.

“You okay?” Turner asked.

“I’ll live. What happened with Black Beak?”

“The detective said he’ll get twenty to life at least. Trial is set for tuesday, figured you’d want to be there.” Ace said with a weak smile.

“Yeah, I would are his gang members okay?”

“No casualties, except for his lieutenants.” Turner said with a grin.

“Good. It’s time I disappear for a while.”

“What?” the group said in shock.

“I just need some time alone, y’know a vacation from all of this.”

“Sure bro, take all the time you need.” Sky said with a grin. “But hey if you’r ever in town again don’t hesitate to hit me up.”

“Same here.” Fire Starter said as she smiled. “And don’t worry we’ll take care of the clinic while you’re gone.”

“Thanks Fire. I appreciate it.”

“I think I may have something that can help you in the looks department.” Turner said as he withdrew a spell book. “On the page I marked there’s an illusion spell that should do the trick.” he said with a grin.

“Thanks Turner. Well I best be off, good luck to you all and I hope I see you again one day.”
They said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Echo trotted down the old road at a slower pace due to his injuries, he stopped by the cemetery and said his final goodbye to Star.
“I’ll be back Star I promise.” as he trotted away from the grave Black Beak’s words rang in his mind.

If you have some-pony you want to protect then keep them at a distance.

Echo knew he was right, deep down he knew he couldn’t get close to any-pony ever again.

The images started to collapse and recede back inside the crystal, revealing the library and the other ponies standing in the room with him. Twilight and the others looked at Echo with tears in their eyes.

“Now you know everything. My scars, Star, the gangs. Now do you understand?” he said flatly. The other ponies came over and hugged him, their eyes still filled with tears at what they just witnessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been three months since Echo had shown the ponies the memory. Hearths Warming Eve was fast approaching. Echo spent that time helping out the ponies around Ponyville, he helped Rose with plant care, Colgate with some pain killers, he even helped Pinkie bake some cupcakes. He spent most of his days with Twilight in the library, she acted as his councilor and helped him sift through his memories. He and Rainbow Dash had started to get along after he gave her a supply of his newly invented ‘poison joke bombs.’ He helped fluttershy out with the animals when they got sick and Rarity showed him how to do a double helix stitch. It began to feel like home to him. One day, he got up early and began packing his things as he made his way downstairs he was stopped by the lavender mare with tears running down her face.

“So. You’re leaving then? After all we’ve accomplished?”

“Yeah, I have to.” he said as he adverted her gaze.

“No You don’t! You have friends here, you’ve made new life for yourself.”

“Look Twi it’s just that-.”

“Do you know what Star said to me inside your mind? She said ‘help him Twilight Sparkle if not for him than do it for a friend do it for me.’ And I don’t break promises to a friend, she want’s you to be happy! And now after you’ve achieved that you’re going to throw it all away?”

“Whoa, slow down there Twi, I’m coming back.” he said with a chuckle. Twilight looked at him in astonishment.

“Come again?”

“I’m going to go visit Star and the others. In fact I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.” he said with a small blush. “I think you’ve earned the right to meet them. I understand if you don’t want to go after what you’ve se-” he was cut off by a the lavender mare bouncing around him in excitement.

“Of corse we want to go with you!”

“We?” not ten seconds after the words left his lips the other five mares came out of the shadows of the library. “How did all you guys know I was planning on leaving?”

“You tend to talk in your sleep.” Twilight said with a small blush. Echo face hoofed.

“Right, forgot about that. Wait, you listen to me while I sleep?” he asked in a cheeky tone. Twilight’s face then turned crimson.

“Well....It’s....just that I.....”

“C’mon ya’ll let’s give these two some privacy.” Applejack said as she led the ponies into another room. An awkward enveloped the two unicorns until Twilight started to speak.

“When I entered your mind, your memory of Star told me that you cared about me and she could tell that I felt the same way about you. And now I’m rambling like an idiot and I’m just wondering if-” Twilight was cut off by the dark stallion locking his lips with hers. Twilight was shocked to say the least but happily returned the kiss. Echo broke the kiss and looked back at the mare with a grin.

“That answer your question?” Twilight nodded with a smile.

“Well we don’t want to keep the others waiting.”

“I don’t think we have to worry about that.” he said s he sneaked over to the door he opened the door causing the five ponies to fall forward onto the floor, all of them wearing a sheepish grin on their faces.

“We were just.....um.....” Rainbow started to explain but was cut off by Echo raising a hoof.

“Dash, just stop talking.” he said flatly.

“Oh you guys are such a cute couple.” Rarity cooed.

“Okay so we’ll leave tomorrow morning for Detrot. Rarity we’re gonna need some cloaks make them black if possible.”

“Of corse darling, one should always look fabulous when in a city.”

“Thank you, Rainbow you remember those black rocks I gave you?”

“You mean those smoke bombs? Yeah why?”

“Can’t hurt to be prepared in case we get into trouble. We’ll need a quick escape. You all need to be on your hooves.”

“Sure thing.”

“Should ah bring mah lasso?” AJ asked.

“Sure, why not. But remember were trying to be discreet. So keep your gear light and subtle. Rarity, Pinkie I’m talking to you.” he said as he gave the mares a glare.

“Of corse darling, how many bags can we bring?”

“One saddle bag.”

“Only one!?”

“That’s the rules, take it or leave it.”

“Very well. I’ll just have to consolidate.” she said as she and the other mares left the library. Echo closed the door after they left and turned back to the lavender mare.

“You expecting trouble?”

“Maybe, not sure if every-pony there will be glad to see me. But let’s worry about that tomorrow.” he said with a smile. “Now where were we?” he said with a sly grin.

“Hmm. I think just about here.” she said as she kissed him.

“Glad you didn’t lose your place.”

“You know how I get when I’m interested in a certain book.” she said with a sly grin.