• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 5,176 Views, 80 Comments

A Sparkle of love - Silentpegasus

  • ...
16
 80
 5,176

Chapter 3: Sugar Cube Corner

Chapter 3

Sugar Cube Corner

Echo woke up and trotted downstairs and began to make himself some breakfast. He cracked the eggs and began to cook them in a pan. Echo then heard hoof steps coming from the door way. He turned he saw a tired Twilight rubbing her eyes.

“Morning.” she said as she smiled back at Echo.

“Morning, sleep well?” he said as he continued to cook.

“Yeah, thanks for healing me last night.”

“Forget about it. Oh and Twilight.”

“Yes what?” she said as she turned her head.”

“I hope that you’ll forget what you saw last night.” he said in a flat tone. Twilight’s eyes shrank to the size of pin points.

“I was just-”

“There are somethings about me that you and others would fine ‘distasteful’ and trust me it would be bad if others started to suspect certain things about me.”

“Are you-”

“Relax I’m not a changeling, if thats what you’re wondering. I’m just a unicorn that prefers to keep a few things about himself a secret.” he said as he looked back at the lavender mare.

“I suppose I can accept that, Celestia knows that I have a few things I want to keep secret.” she said as she looked out the window. “I won’t pester you with questions about it.” Twilight said as she sat down at the table. Echo still kept his back to her as he finished cooking his eyes light around his horn began to dim. The two shared breakfast together and went their separate ways until it was time to meet with Rarity at Sugar Cube Corner. Echo went back to his room and continued with his experiments, soon it was time to leave. Echo and Twilight made their way to Sugar Cube Corner, the walk was spent in silence until they were both greeted by Rarity.

“Hello Rarity, sorry we’re late.” Twilight said as she sat down at the table.

“Think nothing of it darling I just got here myself.” Rarity’s attention then focused on Twilight’s bandaged hoof. “Twilight what happened to your hoof?”

“Oh this. I just slipped while putting some dishes away.”

“We should get you to the hospital, that cut could be infected.”

“Unnecessary.” Echo said as he sipped his drink.

“What? How can you be so cruel!” she then slapped Echo across the face with her hoof.

“Rarity! The reason why he said that is because he already healed me last night.” she said as she removed the bandages revealing a partially healed cut. “He stitched it shut and gave me a painkiller and disinfectant.” she said as she glared at her friend. Rarity then looked over at Echo who was now holding the glass of ice water to his cheek.

“Oh I’m so sorry darling, I didn’t know I-” she was cut off by Echo raising a black hoof.

“It’s fine Rarity, I probably would have had the same reaction if I was in your position.” he said with a flat tone. Rarity sat down at the table and glared at Twilight and Echo.

“So you healed her?”

“To the best of my ability and with the tools I had.” Echo’s eyes shrank suddenly, his horn began to glow and shot beam near the opposite booth. As he did a pink mare jumped from her hiding place and in front of the three unicorns.

“Pinkie! What were you doing back there?” Twilight said with an annoyed look on her face.

“I was just following you to see if he really was a meanie pants, but now hearing how he helped Twilight I’m glad that he’s not.” Pinkie said as she raced out the door.

“Who was that?” Echo asked the two mares at the table.

“That’s Pinkie Pie, she’s works here.” Twilight said.

“Well darlings, it’s been fun but I must be off.” Rarity said as she got to her hooves.

“Bye Rarity.” Twilight said as she waved goodbye to the white unicorn.

“So what now?” Echo asked.

“We have to go to Sweet Apple Acres.” Twilight said as she got up from the seat. The two then made their way to the farm Twilight attempted to strike up a conversation.

“So Echo, how long have you been using magic?”

“Since I was around five.”

“Who taught you?”

“Me.”

“Really? That’s impressive did your parents teach you anything?” Echo then shot her an annoyed look.

“Twilight, stop trying to get to information out of me. It’s not going to work.”

“I’m just trying to get to know you better. I think I have right to that considering I’m letting you stay in my house.” she said as she glared at the dark stallion.

“Fair enough, but nothing too personal got it!”

“Fine, so what is your skill level?”

“Skill level?” he said with a confused look on his face.

“What type of magic can you do?”

“Basic levitation, illusion, some defensive spells and a few others.”

“What about potions?”

“I mostly make cures for poisons and other types of remedies.”

“Really, do you know Zecora?”

“Who?”

“She’s a zebra that lives in the forest.”

“No, didn’t know any other pony lived in there.”

“Really? You never came into town once in a while?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“I’m not what you’d call socially gifted.” he said as he rolled his eyes.

“I used to be like that. I only cared about books and studies until Princess Celestia made me come to Ponyville. and over see the Summer Sun Celebration.”

“How did you get volunteered for that?”

“Well I’m her protegee so-” Twilight was cut off by a raised black hoof.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. You’re Princess Celestia’s protegee?”

“Yes. I didn’t mention that?”

“No, looks like your life is made on that alone.”

“Well yes, it has it’s up’s and down’s but I can’t really complain. How about you?”

“I live in a forest what do you think?” he said coldly.

“I’m sorry. What about your home town?”

“Grew up in Detrot, rough neighborhood, learned to lookout for myself.”

“Your parents?” Echo then shot her a cold stare. “Sorry, sore topic?”

“Yeah.”

“Well what about old friends? Anyone from Detrot you keep in touch with?”

“Nope.”

“Oh, not even-”

“Just drop it, it was a long time ago.” That shut Twilight up until they got to the farm.