• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 19,050 Views, 548 Comments

Helper Monkey - Moonton



The Everfree's newest resident takes on a shaved ape-thing as an assistant. What could go wrong?

  • ...
41
 548
 19,050

Chapter 10 - A Bark of Snark

“No, really, thank you” the creature continued, nattering on jovially from atop Msaidizi. “Can you imagine what would have happened if you hadn't caught me? A broken leg is bad at the best of times, but here it would have been catastrophic! I didn't even bring any books on first aid!”

Msaidizi didn't answer at first, too focused on getting air back into his lungs. “You’re welcome?” he eventually offered.

He looked to Twilight for help, and found none. She was too staring at their new acquaintance with her mouth agape, although her expression was more curious than fearful. Looking back at the creature sitting on him (and still going on about nothing in particular), he inquired “Sorry, but who are you?”

“And what are you!” Twilight blurted out, before recoiling slightly at her own tactlessness and adding “I mean, If that’s not rude to ask”.

At this the creature finally stopped talking and looked down at herself with surprise, as if she’d never considered the question before. She then looked back up to Twilight, and gave a nervous chuckle before jumping off of Msaidizi. “Why, whatever do you mean?” she asked, slowly backing away. “I'm just your regular, everyday pegasus!”

In an instant her horn lit up and a wave of dazzling green fire washed over her, fading just as swiftly to reveal (to everyone’s surprise) that absolutely nothing had changed.

“Um...” said Msaidizi, quite unsure as to what was happening.

“I'm sorry, did I say pegasus?” the creature said, looking even more nervous. “I of course meant a unicorn”.

Again green fire flashed, and again nothing changed.

“Are you okay?” Twilight asked, thoroughly puzzled.

“Well surely I can do earth pony…” For a third time the creature failed at whatever it was she was attempting to do, and now thoroughly irritated she sat on her behind with a dull thump and pawed at her horn with a front hoof. “Oh, rotten thing! It’s on the fritz again!” she whined.

Msaidizi and Twilight shared a look, unsure how to proceed. Eventually he decided that it was safe to himself to his feet and brushed himself off. Despite her appearance, the creature did not seem that threatening. In fact she seemed rather silly. Twilight, meanwhile, decided on giving her a shrewd look. Msaidizi could practically see the gears turning in the unicorn’s head, drawing to some sort of conclusion.

“Are you… a changeling?” Twilight asked.

The creature stopped what it was doing and sighed. “I suppose the cat is out of the bag, isn't it? Yes, yes I am”. She took her focus away from her horn and gave Twilight a brittle smile. “That’s not going to be a problem, is it?”

Twilight did not answer straight away, instead continuing to stare with a carefully blank look. She then said “Excuse us for one moment” and, grabbing Msaidizi’s arm with her magic, pulled him aside.

“I don’t want to alarm you” she whispered to him with some urgency. “But we need to leave”.

Msaidizi frowned in puzzlement and squatted down so that they were at eye level. “What do you mean?” he replied. “She’s a little different, but she seems…” He quickly glanced at the changeling, noting how her smile was now as brittle as thin ice, before turning back and concluding with “...nice. What’s the problem?”

“What’s the problem!” she hissed. “Helper, have you never read ‘Mysterious Mythical Beasts, Volume Six’?!”

Msaidizi tutted and rolled his eyes, but smiled at her franticness. “As it turns out, no. Why?”

“Changelings are mythical creatures, they’re not supposed to exist! According to the book they disguise themselves as ponies, replace them, and then suck all the love from their friends and family! They’re mons-” Twilight cut herself off with a coughing fit, covering her mouth with her hoof, but the damage had been done. Msaidizi was no longer smiling.

“What was that?” he asked coldly.

“Helper, I'm really sorry” Twilight backpedaled, her ears flat against her head. “I didn't mean it like that, this is different-”

“Monster, is she? Well, you've put up very well with one monster so far, Miss Sparkle, so I think you should be able to handle one more just fine!”

With that he stood up and turned back to the changeling. “So sorry about my friend” he apologised, smiling and offering a hand. “It’s nice to meet you”.

The changeling’s own smile warmed as she took it. “It’s fine, darling. Likewise”.

The clearing fell back into silence for a moment, both parties (sans Twilight) happy with how things had turned out but uncertain on how to proceed. Eventually the changeling decided to take the initiative and cleared her throat.

“Spot of lunch?”


Lunch turned out to be tea, cream cakes and little triangle sandwiches, all served in white porcelain cups or on petite silver plates. The changeling had led them to the shadow of a tree not two minutes walk away from their meeting, where a small green tent had been set up. She had then dived inside it and pulled out an enormous wooden chest, from which said lunch was hastily procured.

“So, erm…?” Msaidizi prompted, his mouth full of sliced cucumber.

“Nidus” the changeling supplied.

“Miss Nidus,” he said, emptying his mouth before continuing. “What brings you to the Everfree Forest?”

She chuckled behind the rim of her teacup. “Vacation, although not one that I’d planned. I’d much rather be at home. But it was insisted upon that I take a little break”. She waved a hoof dismissively. “See the world, make some friends, that sort of nonsense”.

Twilight’s ears perked up at that last sentence. Ever since her telling off she’d been rather sullen, keeping her distrust of the changeling to herself but making sure to keep Msaidizi between her and it. But to hear it, or her, rather, talk of friendship gave her pause. “I've been there” she tentatively offered.

Nidus chuckled again. “Quite so. It seemed ridiculous at the time, but I must say that I've been having fun so far. Study the plants, look at the old castle… and then this whole strange explosion business happened!”

At the mention of the reason they were there, Msaidizi reached into his pocket and pulled out the thaumometer. “This is yours, then?” he asked.

The changeling’s horn lit up in sea green, and the tool floated out of his hand and into the tent. “Yes, thank you. Oh! Maybe we can compare notes! One moment”.

She carefully put her teacup down and trotted back over to her chest, throwing it open and rooting within it. Twilight took the opportunity to sidle a little closer to Msaidizi.

“I'm sorry” she mumbled. “I guess I can still be judgemental. That book I mentioned is the only one I know of that mentions changelings, so to take it as pure fact was, well, dumb”.

She offered him a shy smile, which he returned. “It’s fine” Msaidizi sighed. “I'm sorry for snapping at you, too”.

Pained grunts from the chest caused the pair of them to look back to Nidus, who was now so deep into the chest that her back hooves were waving around in the air. “Blast, I can’t quite seem to find it!” she said.

“Do you need any help?” Msaidizi offered.

“No, no, it’s fine darling. Let me just…” Objects began to levitate out of the chest, setting down in neat little piles beside it. At least half of them were just the basic odds and ends of domesticity, the things one needs while camping (or think they’ll need but never does), with the other half being mountains of books.

Twilight trotted over to one of the piles of literature, and squealed in delight. “Oh my Celestia, look at all of these! You’ve got ‘Overly-Complicated Spells and You’; ‘Magical Mineralogy’; ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’; ‘Complete and Unabridged Classical Equestrian History’!”

“Just a little light reading” Nidus commented, now so deep in the chest that not even her legs could be seen.

Msaidizi rolled his eyes.

The floodgates now opened and curiosity overcoming trepidation, Twilight began firing off questions fast and thick. What kind of books did changelings like? Were there changeling authors, changeling libraries? These questions began to quickly move into morph general topics, such as dietary habits and societal structures. All of which Nidus answered in short (although not impolite) bursts, as she shifted through her seemingly limitless luggage.

It turned out that yes, changelings did indeed have libraries and authors. They ate normal things like normal ponies - Nidus herself was apparently very fond of agave cakes - had homes and jobs; and even a royalty-based government, although whether a princess held the highest spot was never said.

“Aah, here we are!” Suddenly the changeling’s head popped up into view, a tiny notebook clutched in her hoof. She opened her mouth to speak further, but it twisted into a grimace. “I say, can you smell that?”

Before a reply could be said a pack of four monsters slinked out of the shadows, smelling of death and growling like distant thunder. They were the wooden wolf statues Msaidizi had seen a week ago, except that statues were not supposed to move, or have eyes glowing with yellow hatred and breath stinking of rotten meat.

“Timberwolves!” Twilight exclaimed.

Msaidizi, for his part, was frozen to the spot in fear. “They’re real?!” he shrieked.

Still a-growling in one continuous note, the timberwolves closed in on the trio, forming a semicircle around them. Nidus’ horn flared into life as she took a defensive stance. One wolf took another step forward and was zapped on the nose, which made it step back again but not retreat.

“Any ideas?” she asked.

“I- I don’t know” Twilight admitted. “I'm pretty sure we could beat them right now, but what if more of them are out there? We need somewhere defensible”.

She groaned to herself, and then added. “I can’t believe I forgot to bring repellent! I'm usually so organised!”

Repellent…

Msaidizi’s hand clutched at the cloak pocket over his heart, where he could feel the little glass vial sitting within. He pulled it out and opened it - laughing with relief all the while - and began to dab it over himself.

Nidus looked at him as if he’d gone mad. “What is he doing?”

Msaidizi turned to offer it to Twilight, but stopped when he saw the looks he was getting. “What?”

“Helper,” Twilight began, sniffing the air to confirm her suspicions. “Why are you covering yourself in vegetable oil?”

“Maybe he’s hoping they’re on a diet?” Nidus suggested drily.

“What are you talking about? This is…” Msaidizi trailed off before dipping a finger in the mixture and smelling it. Noticing the absence of any kind of medicinal stench, he then gingerly tasted it.

“This is vegetable oil” he confirmed. “Twilight, why is this vegetable oil?!”


Back at the house, Zecora was having a wonderful time. She’d used the alone time to catch up on some reading, and had just started to bake some bread for later. As the warm smell of it began to fill the tree, she decided to make herself a salad for lunch. With oily dressing, of course.

She took one bite, and then spat it back out with disgust, her eyes streaming.

Nini!?” she cried. “Kwamba ni machukizo!”


They had been running for a good ten minutes now, and Msaidizi was beginning to really feel it. Both of his companions were alongside him, keeping the pace. Twilight could be rather fast when she wanted to be, due to the extra legs, and Nidus (still with notebook in hoof) contented herself with flying alongside them, her wings buzzing like an oversized wasp.

He felt like his heart was going to burst out of his chest and that his legs were on fire, but he daren’t turn around, for the monsters were right behind them. Every time he slowed down even an inch the howling and baying sent a fresh jolt of terror down his spine and gave him the strength to go on.

Nidus stopped for a second and turned around, firing a bolt from her horn. From a point distressing close behind him there was a pained yelp.

“Just a little further!” Twilight shouted above it all.

They turned a corner in the path, and ahead of them was the ruins of the old castle.

Even through his fear Msaidizi couldn't help but note that it was much more expansive than it seemed from a distance. More importantly, it offered sanctuary from the timberwolves, a safe place to catch their breath and plan their next move.

But first they would have to cross a wide gorge, over a rickety rope bridge. Twilight barely seemed to notice it, hitting it at a run and crossing it without causing much disturbance, while Nidus stuck to the air. Msaidizi managed the first few steps fine, but the slamming of his sandals caused it to sway and wobble dangerously, so he found himself having to grasp onto the ropes and waiting for it to calm down.

Fortunately, a quick glance back revealed that their pursuers seemed loath to cross it. Perhaps timberwolves were inherently wary at idea of walking over wooden constructions, or maybe they’d just seen Msaidizi nearly shake himself off it by accident, and decided it would be foolish to follow. He didn't stop to think about it.

Past the bridge and through the shattered gates was a crumbling courtyard, its centre dominated by a dry fountain overflowing with weeds.

“In here!” Twilight called out, from a side door.

Msaidizi stumbled inside, his legs now feeling like jelly. The room seemed to be an old kitchen, with mouldering wooden surfaces. The way further into the castle was choked with rubble and inaccessible. He collapsed against a wall, trying to catch his breath, and the door was slammed shut behind him.

“Where’s Nidus?” he panted.

“She went to scout ahead” Twilight replied. She locked the door with a quick spell and rattled the knob to check her work. “We should be safe in here for now. They’ll give up after a while.”

“Oh, why did you have to go and say that?”

They spent a few minutes catching their breath, until eventually Nidus flew in through a high, broken window. “I have good news and bad news” she declared with pride. “The good news is that we won’t have to hide in here for too long.”

In response to this Twilight smiled, but Msaidizi covered his face in despair. “And the bad news?” he asked from between his fingers.

Before Nidus even opened her mouth the wolves began to bay again, much closer this time, and there was a great clattering and thumping as they tried to force their way inside.

“The bad news” Nidus explained sheepishly, “Is that the reason we won’t have to hide for long is because they’ve found a way across”.

“Oh, we’re dead. We’re incredibly dead” Msaidizi cried, moving his hands to over his head. He felt more scared than he ever had before. “Why did you bring me here, Twilight? I wanted to stay at home!”

Twilight frowned at the accusation, but her expression softened as she placed a comforting hoof on his shoulder. “It’ll be okay Helper, I've done my reading. Timberwolves are scary, but they’re not so tough”.

“Quite! No need to worry” Nidus agreed, feeling along the wall with a hoof. “Besides this old place is riddled with traps.”

“How is that better?!” Msaidizi exlaimed.

“Because… aha!” with a press of her hoof a brick in the wall slid inwards with a click, and an alcove rotated to show an equine suit of armour, the once-silvery metal dull and tarnished with age. Nidus stuffed her notebook into its helmet, and with a grunt she lifted the large halberd it was holding and buzzed over to Msaidizi, pressing the weapon into his hands.

“Here you go”.

“What, me?” Msaidizi protested. In his hands the halberd looked more like a wood axe. “I don’t know how to fight!”

“Good, no preconceptions” Nidus assured.

The pounding and scratching at the doors grew more frantic, splinters beginning to break off of it. In response Msaidizi stood up and backed away from it.

“I mean, I’ve been attacked before, but-”

“Wonderful, darling! Just reverse your thinking. This time it’s you trying to hurt them”.

Msaidizi looked to Twilight helplessly. She shrugged “They’re just plants, if it helps. They don’t actually feel pain”. She then put herself into a defensive pose and ignited her horn. “Don’t worry, if we stick together and keep calm, we’ll get through this!”

With a shower of dust and wood chips the doors slammed open, and the wolves were upon them. It was then promptly discovered that, against a foe that wasn't running for its life, wooden wolves weren't really that much of a threat. One of them threw itself at Msaidizi, who promptly shrieked like a little girl and, flinching, pointed the tip of the halberd at it. It gave a pained yelped as it knocked both of them over while impaling itself through the heart.

“I think their bark is worse than their bite” Nidus quipped, blasting her own opponent apart with a sea-green magical bolt to its core.

“No more puns!” Twilight protested. She and the timberwolf after her circled each other until she was the one standing in the doorway. It prepared to lunge, only to shatter as one half of the broken doors slammed into it like a freight train.

That was when the fourth one attacked. Bursting through the door behind Twilight, it barrelled her over with a swipe of its claws before lunging in for the fatal bite. Screaming in equal parts pain and fear, Twilight could barely hold its head away with her hoofs, its jaws slowly and steadily closing in regardless of her efforts.

Nidus prepared another bolt, but it fizzled out on her horn as the wooden corpse behind her was forcibly thrown to the side. Msaidizi stood up, his hair frazzled like a lions mane and his eyes wide. He was still absolutely terrified, but the danger to Twilight, to his friend, took that fear, pushed it all the way around and then briefly forged it into something useful: white hot rage.

“GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BIRCH!”

With that furious roar he charged, the miniature halberd held above his head. In response the timberwolf snarled, bounded off of Twilight and lunged to meet him. For Msaidizi time seemed to stand still for a moment, and he could count every wooden line on his opponents face, its jaws dripping with sap.

Then the moment passed, and physics took over. Bark cracked as the halberd embedded itself into the timberwolf’s face; so much force was behind the blow that it was slammed into the ground in the process, breaking a hind leg.

Msaidizi didn't wait for it to retaliate. He wrenched the blade out and hit it again and again, screaming all the while. Its whines turned into full blown crying before its head split in two, and fell still.

“Helper!” Twilight screamed.

Msaidizi stopped and turned, and when he saw the brief look of fear cross her face, fear of him his heart turned to ice. The adrenalin was spent and his body demanded payment, with interest. Knees shaking, head spinning and his brain coming to terms with just how stupidly dangerous he’d acted, Msaidizi dropped the halberd with a clang.

“I'm sorry” he muttered. Then he fell to his knees and was promptly sick.


“Well it’s not unicorn, the thaumic frequency is way off.”

“Quite so darling, and it’s not gryphon either- they use a runic system, which would leave remains behind.”

It was now late afternoon. The group had decided to wait in the castle for a few hours after the demise of the timberwolves, to catch their breath and make sure that they were gone for good. Nidus spent this time on continued lookout, buzzing from turret to turret, only stopping to shout down some esoteric snippet about the architecture. Msaidizi spent it apologising profusely to Twilight for his actions, to which she’d responded by refusing to listen to.

“Helper, you saved me,” she’d said. “Anypony else would have done the same. It’s fine”.

Eventually Nidus had come done to confirm that the coast was clear, grabbed her notebook from its hiding place, and they all began to walk back. It didn't take long for Nidus and Twilight to start bumping heads and comparing notes.

“I don’t suppose... it’s changeling magic?” Twilight asked.

Msaidizi hadn't joined in the conversation, but he was definitely thinking about it. Thoughts he’d had back in the clearing were coming back together and morphing into a vague conclusion.

“I'm afraid not, I’d know if it was. I'm starting to suspect that it might be-”

“Zebra?” Msaidizi interrupted.

The pair turned to him. “What do you know about zebra magic?” Twilight asked.

Msaidizi shrugged. “A few basics, I suppose. It’s all about balance - if you want to make something hot you need to make something else cold, that sort of thing”.

“Can you do it?” Nidus asked.

“I'm afraid not. Zecora tried to teach me some once, but… hang on, what are you suggesting?”

“Well, I was just-” Nidus began, before Msaidizi cut her off.

“It’s not Zecora, if that’s what you’re suggesting” he said, crossing his arms. “I don’t think she would do something like this”.

“Girls, let’s not argue” Twilight interjected, stifling a yawn. “It’s been an exhausting day. I don’t think Zecora had anything to do with this either, but I am going to talk to her about it sometime. Sound fair?”

“I suppose” Msaidizi replied.

“Yes, yes, fine” Nidus said with a faint huff. She then cleared her throat and added “Although while we’re on the subject, I don’t suppose you can… not tell anypony about me?”

Twilight was taken aback at this. “Not even to the princess? But you’re a real-life mythical being! Dozens of new books could be written! You’d be a celebrity overnight!”. Her ears drooped a little. “And I thought maybe you’d want to meet my other friends?”

“I’d prefer not to, if it’s all the same”. Nidus said, sounding noticeably uncomfortable with the idea. “I prefer to keep to myself”. Catching Twilight’s look, she grimaced again and continued “I don’t know, maybe I could go and visit you instead, sometime? Would that work? Perhaps when…”

A look of intense concentration crossed Nidus’s face, before a wave of green fire washed over her from her horn, leaving in its place a rather generic-looking mare, with brown fur and beige mane.

“It worked!” the pony cried, in Nidus’s voice. With another, much-more strained look she changed back and with a laugh of delight flew away, yelling “Toodles!” behind her.

“You know Helper, you were right” Twilight said to Msaidizi, after the laughter had faded into the air. “She seems… nice”.

“Msaidizi” he corrected.

Twilight cocked an ear and tilted her head. “I'm sorry?”

“It’s my name” Msaidizi explained. The soreness of his muscles was beginning to fade, leaving him in a docile, sleepy haze. “It means helper in Zebrican, or assistant perhaps, but Helper isn't my name”.

“Oh”. Twilight blinked, then looked sheepish as she realised what he was saying. “Oh! Hel- Msaidizi, I'm sorry. I didn't realise”.

Msaidizi just shrugged in response, and the two of them continued on their way home. Being that time where it was not quite evening but not quite night, the forest was exceedingly peaceful. Orange light played between the shadows of the trees, and a cool breeze brought with it the buzz of evening insects and the songs of birds coming home to roost. It wasn't very long at all before the pair had reached the beginning of the path that lead to Zecora’s house and said their goodbyes.

“Thanks for helping me today” Twilight called, continuing down the road to Ponyville. “I'm sorry it was so much trouble”.

“Yes, well” Msaidizi replied jokingly, hands cupped around his mouth. “I’ll be sure not to agree next time. Good day, Miss Sparkle!”

He waited until Twilight had disappeared out of sight before turning down the path for home. When he was half way across the clearing the door to the tree-home slammed open to reveal Zecora, looking angry, sad and relieved all at the same time.

Ambapo umekuwa?” she growled.

“Now, miss, I know what you’re thinking-” Msaidizi began, and then stopped as Zecora stood up on her hind legs and crushed him in a hug.

Mimi nilikuwa na wasiwasi!

It took a moment for the translation to take, but when it did Msaidizi wanted to say something reassuring. How he’d been fine; how she must have known that by the fact that she hadn't gone to find him; and how it had actually all been rather boring, really. The last part may not have been true in the slightest, but he wasn't going to tell her that.

He didn't get the chance, though, as at that point Zecora grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back inside.

“No more going out tonight, this day has been enough of a fright”.


Back at the old castle afternoon had begun to fade into evening, the shadows lengthening and the cricket chirping. This otherwise calm atmosphere was suddenly broken with a buzz as Nidus landed in the courtyard, glancing around for intruders before darting down a side passage.

The corridors were growing dark as the sun set, but that proved no trouble for her as she lit the way with her horn. Deeper and deeper into the castle she went, stopping occasionally to listen at the air. An observant watcher might notice how she occasionally stepped over a particular flagstone, or made sure to lean on a particular brick of the wall before proceeding.

Eventually she stopped, next to one of the many suits of armour dotting the halls. Looking around one last time, she reached forward and pulled the suits left forehoof. With the clatter of moving stone the wall span around, and Nidus found herself in a secret room filled to the brim with changelings of all kinds. Some were wearing silken servant clothes and trying (apparently in vain) to tidy up. A few had the silver medallions and flat-top caps that denoted them as official court mages, and were muttering amongst themselves in the corners or poring over tomes. The rest were guards in blue-black chitin-alloy armour, and they looked either bored or fed up with everyone else. All of them stopped and stood to attention when Nidus entered the room.

“Show’s over” Nidus declared with authority. “You may return to your duties now”.

With a chorus of “Yes, duchess!” the changelings filed out, leaving only the captain of the guards, a noticeably larger-than-average nymph with silver inlay on her armour’s edges. She trotted up to Nidus with a look of distaste.

“I am uncomfortable with this plan” she stated. Her tone all had the respect and professionalism that came with her station, but also had undertones of weary familiarity.

In response Nidus waved a hoof dismissively. “It’s fine, Petra! Everything worked perfectly”.

“I should have been there. You could have been hurt, and I was charged with keeping you safe”.

“But I wasn't hurt, darling - which was the point! Nothing like a bit of shared peril to inspire camaraderie. Besides”, she scoffed, “I don’t remember her wording it as ‘keeping me safe’”.

Suppressing a yawn, Nidus trotted over to one of the book piles and began telekinetically sorting through them. “How goes the work?” she asked, opening one at random and skimming through it.

Petra shrugged before answering. “On schedule. All should be prepared in time, barring no setbacks”.

“And tell me, what would count as a setback?”

“The usual. Our discovery. Work falling behind.” Petra elaborated, and then added “You being eaten by timberwolves” as a deliberate afterthought.

Nidus sighed with impatience and slammed the book. “Ugh, fine! I promise promise promise that I won’t put myself in such danger again! There! I've said it thrice so you know it’s true. Are you happy now?”

“Very” replied Petra, who didn't look very happy at all.

“You’re dismissed. Tell one of the servants to run me a bath on your way out - I think I deserve an early night”.

With a bow Petra walked out, leaving Nidus alone with her thoughts. Beyond the immediate fatigue, she was extremely pleased with how things were going. Her plans had been rather forlorn in the past months, growing more and more desperate, but this one was correct. It would work! And they were the key! “Such power, such potential!” she thought.

Hmm, perhaps I should write home about this? I did say I’d keep her updated…”

Nidus yawned again, longer and wearier this time. Perhaps today had tired her out harder than she’d thought. She just wasn’t used to such activity, wolves or no. “Or maybe not. Tomorrow, perhaps”.

With bleary eyes Nidus picked up a few choice books (for bedtime reading) and began to leave. As she passed the mirror on the wall, though, she stopped. With a thoughtful look and a flash of magic she effortlessly transformed into a copy of Twilight Sparkle.

The Not-Twilight examined itself for a moment, before it said “No, probably shouldn't” and changed back into Nidus. “Someone will probably notice”. She then continued her exit, muttering to herself “A bit too tubby for me, anyway…”

Author's Note:

Edited by Nihatclodra, many thanks!

Wow, um. It's been a while, hasn't it? Seven months. In my defence, I've gone through a lot of life changes in that time (graduated college, hooray!) so it's not like I've been sitting idle. But it's still been too long, for which I am sorry. I would promise to be faster in future, but I don't think anyone believes me at this stage. Not that this stuff's that good, anyway.

All Zebrican is just Swahili from Google Translate, and therefore almost certainly wrong. Also, I'm not ashamed of that pun.

Equestria offers a lot of fantastic and interesting concepts and I've always been a fan of world building, so writing my own take on Changelings is a blast. Hopefully you find it interesting to read.

Next, I'll be updating my other story. After that, Zecora and Msaidizi will go meet the neighbours. He's very tall, green, and breathes fire - guess who!

Comments ( 64 )

It is alive!

Aww, now I have to read the whole thing all over, because I don't remember where it left off.

4736906

Yeeeaaah, I was worried that would be the case. Sorry about that.

Silver lining? You could catch a spelling mistake! Won't that be FUN? :twilightangry2:

4736917 No. No it wouldn't. Because that would likely mean I failed at some point... unless it was edited by the other guys before me... then go ahead; point out ALL the mistakes!:trollestia:

4736943

its draws dripping with sap.

jaws

4736985
Thank you! Caught!

Oh hey, what a pleasant soup rice! This story is finally updated...

Oh dang... I forgot how story went already, gonna start all over... :twilightblush:
4736906

“This is vegetable oil” he confirmed. “Twilight, why is this vegetable oil?!”

great line I was laughing very hard at this point

It LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEEEEESSSS:pinkiehappy:

4736985 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

With a thoughtful look and a flash of magic she effortlessly transformed into a copy of Twilight Sparkle.

The Not-Twilight examined itself for a moment, before it said “No, probably shouldn't” and changed back into Nidus. “Someone will probably notice”. She then continued her exit, muttering to herself “A bit too tubby for me, anyway…”

...Ouch.

Poor twilight.
Unfortunately, being a bookworm doesn't lend itself to abs.

Just a nice, squeezable tummy.

Wow, THAT MANY likes and it's not another blasted clopfic?! Must read! :pinkiehappy:

After half a year, it's finally back, THANK GOD!!

“GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BIRCH!”

Worth the wait.

Funny. I was just thinking about this story the other day. Guess I'll have to try to think about it more often.

I enjoy this very much. Please, continue.

Hmm, not so nice after all. Too bad, I thought Twilight had a kindred spirit there. Well, she still does, but in an evil twin kind of way.

*Alondro looks smug* Like I always say. Never... EVER... trust da evil cherngelerngs. :ajsmug:

Ah, I was kinda hoping they ran into a Changeling exile. Still hilarious that she called Twilight chubby.

Ooo, this is getting really good!:raritywink:
I see many good times ahead, and a few bad ones as well.:twilightsmile::moustache:
+1 Like
+1 Fave

yay! Updated!

Thought this was done for, can wait for more. And she called Twilight fat, that's hilarious. :twilightangry2:

4740511 Something that rhymes with oranges?
This challenge is horrendous
If with true words you need
I'm afraid I'll leave you to bleed
I may not be Zecora
But I'm one clever mutha-fucka

:rainbowlaugh:
I'm so sorry
You don't have to worry
I'll think of something at the end.
Have a pleasant day, my friend

Very tall, green, and breaths fire...
Green flamethrower?
A camoflauged military jet?
Don't leave us in the dark with such creptic, vague descriptions with nothing obvious in this fantastical world!

4740541 -with a capital 'T', and that rhymes with 'P' which stands for 'Pool'.

4741354 Do help me get it. It's about 11 pm here in Sweden. I'm tired.

4741363 A movie called 'The Music Man'

:pinkiegasp:
nuuu i thought she'd be nice!!!!

D48

That was very good, and Nidus is adorable even with the reveal. I am curious to see what her plans are and how things will play out because it looks like she may be thinking of a more diplomatic rout than having Twilight stuffed and mounted. :twilightoops:

Like it so far.

4747253 I don't want to do anything to them, but this feeling... :raritydespair: it's hard not to. I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head... i'm just going to go and sulk.

4747253

What's wrong with you people?

I feel that almost everyday!

4744604

whenever I read about the ponies being xenophobic or something like that, it just seems a little forced, but this...

Not really. They would have most likely descended from herd animals which would have made them freak out at things out of place, things that weren't normal.

Also, look at Zecora, the entire town freaked out with her. I don't think it's that far off to say a Human would be pretty scary.

4765144
I'm sorry, I don't know what that is.

Alright, I admit I don't remember this from previous chapters, but it seems like none of your dialog ends with punctuation. I mean, when you have something like

“I have good news and bad news” she declared with pride.

there should be a comma at the end of the dialog, as so

“I have good news and bad news,” she declared with pride.

and in several places, you have the punctuation outside the quotation marks, like this one

“Here you go”.

Heheh. Another story I've been reading had a similar kind of thing happen, sort of. Somewhere along the line, everyone decided that they'd only swear with plant related words, I think it was mostly trees actually; my memory's a bit vague. This was done because it was brought to people's attention that it bothered Celestia, to have folks use her name as an oath. It is now a running gag of sorts.

*stubs toes* Chlorophyll! :facehoof:

"I AM NOT FAT!" :twilightangry2:

4749209 Just as a note I've never felt that.

Hell in video games and real life I would rather help people then get back at them for being assholes (there are a few exceptions)

wlam #43 · Dec 28th, 2014 · · 3 ·

This sucks. I was hoping you'd subvert the whole changeling thing by making their reputation just another example of pony bigotry, and then you go and tentatively make it justified. Kind of a disappointment.

He's very tall, green, and breathes fire - guess who!

Godzilla?

i.imgur.com/2K8Fe.gif Is there life in this fic? I must poke it with a stick.

That was fun, may I have another? Looking forward to more.
Keep up the good work. Deus tecum.

Just finished this, after remember that FIMfiction existed :D

While I doubt there will be an update, it was a fun read :twilightsmile:

Y U No Update? :fluttercry:

Login or register to comment